Damar Hamlin - prayers

Yeah…it was a fairly “ordinary” play by NFL standards. Everyone‘s first reaction is head injury, but it could equally be a cardiac event from the hit to the chest or unknown existing issue

There have been some "ordinary" incidents where it seemed pretty pedestrian by normal standards. I'm thinking of Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash. Seemed like a fairly common event in NASCAR where a car just plowed into a wall, but nothing all that spectacular that would seriously injure a driver wearing a racing harness. However, in his case the harness apparently failed.

But a heart attack on the field is pretty unusual. I've heard of those happening during practices though, even with college and high school players. But working on endurance and/or practicing in extreme heat is very different than typical game play.

They showed the play and the collapse on MSNBC last night as a lead-in to their coverage of the situation, which I think was the responsible thing to do. Those of us who were watching MSNBC obviously weren't watching the game, and I think we needed to see it to understand the context. They brought in experts from both the football side and the medical side, and both sides seemed to agree that *something* needs to change--not banning football or anything crazy, but a heightened awareness of what *can* happen and working together to try to figure out how to further protect players. Just like they've done with recent concussion protocols and the like. I found it quite sensible, and I'm glad the conversation is now being had. Praying that Damar has a swift and full recovery.
It CAN happen with baseball players, lacrosse players, etc…heck pickle ball players!

Commotio Cardis (which is the current idea floating around) is like getting struck like lightening. You have to get hit in the right spot, in between heartbeats to cause and R on T phenomena of the electrical impulses…

I’m not saying change is bad in the NFL but in my opinion this incident isn’t really the best example to lead change.

It CAN happen with baseball players, lacrosse players, etc…heck pickle ball players!

Commotio Cardis (which is the current idea floating around) is like getting struck like lightening. You have to get hit in the right spot, in between heartbeats to cause and R on T phenomena of the electrical impulses…

I’m not saying change is bad in the NFL but in my opinion this incident isn’t really the best example to lead change.

I mean, they can talk about banning certain types of tackles that expose the chest to direct hits.

I admit I know very little about sports and even less about commotio cardis, so I defer to your expertise. In my completely uninformed opinion though, it seems like the odds (while still vanishingly low) would likely be higher among football players simply because hard hits are an actual part of the game (as opposed to baseball or similar, where one of the basic ideas is to NOT get hit if you can help it). Would you disagree with that? And if that is the case, then maybe it does make sense as a starting point for change? Just thinking out loud.

I mean, they can talk about banning certain types of tackles that expose the chest to direct hits.
Sounds like someone who doesn't understand the game. This appears to be a one in a million situation. There was nothing different about this type of tackle. If anything, the offensive player pushed into initiated contact with the defensive player. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Do we really need to legislate (not talking governmental, but the rules of the game) to prevent the one in a million event? Of course, this is the country that must put tags on electrical cords to "not use in the bathtub".

There have been some "ordinary" incidents where it seemed pretty pedestrian by normal standards. I'm thinking of Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash. Seemed like a fairly common event in NASCAR where a car just plowed into a wall, but nothing all that spectacular that would seriously injure a driver wearing a racing harness. However, in his case the harness apparently failed.

But a heart attack on the field is pretty unusual. I've heard of those happening during practices though, even with college and high school players. But working on endurance and/or practicing in extreme heat is very different than typical game play.
Cardiac arrest, not necessarily a heart attack.

They’d have to ban the ball too. If he missed the ball at that exact moment in time it could cause that phenomenon.

I’m a brain injury nurse. I don’t disagree about making any sport safer. This particular example is just not a great one to use.

I admit I know very little about sports and even less about commotio cardis, so I defer to your expertise. In my completely uninformed opinion though, it seems like the odds (while still vanishingly low) would likely be higher among football players simply because hard hits are an actual part of the game (as opposed to baseball or similar, where one of the basic ideas is to NOT get hit if you can help it). Would you disagree with that? And if that is the case, then maybe it does make sense as a starting point for change? Just thinking out loud.
It’s actually more common in baseball. Especially catchers. That’s why they wear chest plates. That’s also why there is a big movement for AEDs at little league fields.

Baseball actually has a higher likelihood because of how the ball can be more of a blunt projectile and most kids aren’t always wearing chest protection minus the catcher as previously mentioned.

In football most cases tackling forces are distributed across the body at different points so it’s not always as direct trauma.

Sounds like someone who doesn't understand the game. This appears to be a one in a million situation. There was nothing different about this type of tackle. If anything, the offensive player pushed into initiated contact with the defensive player. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Do we really need to legislate (not talking governmental, but the rules of the game) to prevent the one in a million event? Of course, this is the country that must put tags on electrical cords to "not use in the bathtub".

I don't understand the game. For starters, why is it even called FOOTball, when the ball is primarily in play while in hands?

I have always thought American football is the dumbest game ever. So yeah, when I see a player suffer what could very well be a fatal injury, I just have to wonder "and for what, this stupid game?"

I don't understand the game. For starters, why is it even called FOOTball, when the ball is primarily in play while in hands?

I have always thought American football is the dumbest game ever. So yeah, when I see a player suffer what could very well be a fatal injury, I just have to wonder "and for what, this stupid game?"
You could say that about almost any sport. Kids have been been seriously injured playing baseball, basketball, soccer, and I'm sure others.

It's obvious you don't like the game. And that's fine. But don't let your bias try to use this one in a million situation to forward your agenda.

You could say that about almost any sport. Kids have been been seriously injured playing baseball, basketball, soccer, and I'm sure others.

It's obvious you don't like the game. And that's fine. But don't let your bias try to use this one in a million situation to forward your agenda.

What agenda? I have no agenda. I just dislike senseless injuries/deaths. Sue me.

Got it - you hate football. Don't hijack a thread about a young man fighting for life because of a freak injury.

Got it - you hate football. Don't hijack a thread about a young man fighting for life because of a freak injury.

Oh, okay, so this is just a "thoughts and prayers" discussion? We can't talk about what actually happened or about how to prevent it in the future? Typical.

By the way, I wasn't the one who took the thread off topic, so not sure why you are going after me.

That is the second player in the past two years I've seen die on live TV. Christian Eriksen fully recovered and is back to playing professional soccer. I hope the same for Hamlin if that is what he wants.

It’s actually more common in baseball. Especially catchers. That’s why they wear chest plates. That’s also why there is a big movement for AEDs at little league fields.
I did not know that. Would some version of those chest plates be possible in football? I know the specific ones baseball catchers wear would be totally unwieldy in football, but couldn't they invent something based on the same technology? Again, just thinking out loud, because this seems like such a stupid injury (in the sense that it was just a normal tackle and this freak thing happened, so can we make it less likely for it to happen again during a normal tackle?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter