Dancing With the Stars - Fall 2017

Sorry to hijack the thread! Lacey Schwimmer was a Pro for a few seasons, and Benji was on at least once to dance with her. Lacey did some really good swing numbers with her partners, well Kyle Massey. Takes a good while to master that dance.

I don't know how I ever forgot this one:

Was that the only time they put WCS on the show? But yea... WCS has a brutal learning curve, even for trained dancers... which may help given how many ringers they've been throwing on the show. Non-dancers might look better in WCS as the style is much "looser."

I'll admit I have the guiltiest of pleasures watching John Lindo dance.

I vaguely know John Lindo, he was starting out in the C&W / WCS circuit about the time we quit traveling and competing. The two styles have lots of crossover dancers.

Yes, I think that's the only time WCS has been on, it's been on SYTYCD a couple of times. There's been Lindy though.

I think a lot of pros on DWTS would struggle with WCS. I know I would if I were to teach it. The counts to which the music is danced to always weirds me out, plus the connection is completely different than Standard & Latin other than a few select moves like a sugar push... and there's tons of freestyle I feel I'd have to learn before performing in it. When it's done well though it is spectacular and fun to watch. Maybe DWTS should recruit Benji Schwimmer as a coach?

I would love to see it on DWTS though. I think that would definitely help ratings. Have a night that you call "club night," where you can have Salsa, Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, Hustle, Lindy, Charleston, The Shag, Country 2-step, Night Club 2-step... and there are plenty of others...

Loved Benji and always wonder where he is now. Picked him to win from the first audition. Would love to see him on DWTS as a pro. Great personality and a great dancer.

I vaguely know John Lindo, he was starting out in the C&W / WCS circuit about the time we quit traveling and competing. The two styles have lots of crossover dancers.

Yes, I think that's the only time WCS has been on, it's been on SYTYCD a couple of times. There's been Lindy though.

I've heard about the crossover competition. A good friend of mine competes in both C&W and WCS.

John Lindo was just starting?! Was he still as big then? He's become a bit of a legend now, and I'm not even in the C&W and WCS dance circles.

Loved Benji and always wonder where he is now. Picked him to win from the first audition. Would love to see him on DWTS as a pro. Great personality and a great dancer.

He is a great showman... I still love this routine:

John Lindo's bio says he started competing C&W in 1992, which was our last year as Masters in UCWDC. We continued to travel, judge, and teach for a couple more years (with our toddler), so yes I did judge him! I remember the big guy, but we didn't really know him. He was as big physically, but not an icon yet!

We taught WCS for years here in ABQ after that, started a dance club. More "slow swing" social danced to R&B rather than Schwimmer style. Retired in the mid 90s due to me developing an autoimmune disease. Can't teach when you can't stop coughing around smoke and perfume. I'm better now.

I don't think they ever let Benji flat out dance WCS on SYTYCD, except for the audition. Guess that would have been too much of an advantage and they didn't really want him to win!

None of the current DWTS pros have a swing background. Cheryl has delved pretty heavily into Argentine Tango, another subcategory that is widely popular as a social dance.

....I know I haven't been on this thread for a while now.....can't seem to get into this season's dancers.....

Has anyone looked into getting tickets for the tour? They are coming to ABQ in March, and it's a nice, huge auditorium. Tickets are about $300 per person and that's at the back! Wow, glad I got to see a mini version of the show on a Holland America cruise once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter