!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCL Fleet Expansion in 2011 & 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, none of their prior performance currently applies to their new builds. I think that maybe what you missed in your estimates is that Meyer Werft has significantly changed their build process and they have not delivered any ships since they changed their build process. Much like the stock market, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results... especially after the build process is changed this much. You might look for earlier posts, by myself and others, in this thread where the process has been explained.

Besides, the CEO and the CFO of Disney just said they expect the first ship in 2010 and in service early in 2011. Don't you think they have a pretty good handle on their investment?

Apparently I'm invisible again ;) I recently posted that the new dock will accommodate two post-panamax ships like the RCCL Genesis class. The Genesis class, or Oasis class, ships are 220,000 GT. These are about 20m longer than the new Disney ships will be. The new dock is supposed to be 445m in length - Disney Dream is supposed to be around 340m long.

There are more pictures and information at http://www.portofstmaarten.com/ website.

Sorry AWOLTODAY see serves me right for skim reading. Anyone know how long the Magic is just out of interest? Wondering whether that 105m gap is big enough for a second boat. I'm guessing no but ???

Originally Posted by gismo1554
Depends how big the expansions going to be cause they are redoing it to accomadate the new ships anyway aren't they?
QUOTE FROM AWOLTODAY

What the bosses have said from their own mouths, I have said Feb 2011 all along, 'early 2011 service' fits that. If you further take delivery is 'very end of 2010''.

Thanks Andrew but have no idea what this had to do with my question?

I agree and I would not be be surprised if the Dec 30 2010 Wonder cruise gets changed to a Panama Canal cruise. I find it interesting that both the Wonder and the Magic are in St Marten Jan 2 2011. Does anyone have a Crystal ball that shows the Dream in St Marten Jan 2 also.

You do not know how much I would love for the Wonder Repo cruise to be in Jan 2011. Due to my acceptance into Grad School this past summer, I had to cancel a transatlantic cruise for next spring. Now I have all those pesky reservation points to deal with that expire 1/31/2011. It would be so awesome to use them on a Panama Cruise.

But I won't hold my breath. :) :)

Sorry AWOLTODAY see serves me right for skim reading. Anyone know how long the Magic is just out of interest? Wondering whether that 105m gap is big enough for a second boat. I'm guessing no but ???

No worries! The Magic and Wonder are about 964 feet long, which is roughly 294M. I'm not sure what gap you are referring to? The new dock in St. Maarten is in addition to what is already there. There is room for the Magic & Wonder at the existing dock.

expan1.jpg

No worries! The Magic and Wonder are about 964 feet long, which is roughly 294M. I'm not sure what gap you are referring to? The new dock in St. Maarten is in addition to what is already there. There is room for the Magic & Wonder at the existing dock.

expan1.jpg

Sorry its me talking in inner head voice again lol. I was trying to work out whether the 445m dock could take 2 cruise ships behind each other. As this is additional to the current length though then the answer would be yes. The gap I was working on was the difference between Dream's length and the dock length

Sorry its me talking in inner head voice again lol. I was trying to work out whether the 445m dock could take 2 cruise ships behind each other. As this is additional to the current length though then the answer would be yes. The gap I was working on was the difference between Dream's length and the dock length

Oh, right. They can put two HUGE ships at the new 445m dock and, if I recall correctly, four panamax sized ships at the existing dock. So, they couldn't put all of the Disney ships end to end. Plenty of space to get them all docked, though.

The Magic is 964 feet.

MJ

You certainly are not invisible. I posted the length of the ship before I read all the way through to the end of the thread, my bad.....

MJ

It is okay. I'm getting used to it. ;) However, in my hastily posted response, I forgot to utilize some smileys!! :eek: What was I thinking? :confused3 :laughing:

:disrocks:

I'm so excited about the new ships. I was hoping to be on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic - like Holland America's Eurodam last year but I don't think it is going to happen. Last week I was on a cast member bus ride from the Bay Towers Preview Opening. The cast member seated next to me said she had helped decorate the Towers - they are lovely. I asked her what her next project was. She told me it was the new ship - they will go to Germany to live for 5 months - getting the ship ready and then bring it home - putting all the finishing touches on it as they cross the Atlantic. She said it would be long days and nights finishing it up. I got the feeling there wouldn't be guests on that sailing. Darn! I wanted to ask so badly - what month will that be? Of course I didn't ask. Do you think Disney will start a Dream blog as it is being built? Holland did that with the Eurodam - it was so exciting watching the ship being built. I checked the blog everyday. Sure wish Disney would do that for all of us crazy Disney cruise fans.

I'm so excited about the new ships. I was hoping to be on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic - like Holland America's Eurodam last year but I don't think it is going to happen. Last week I was on a cast member bus ride from the Bay Towers Preview Opening. The cast member seated next to me said she had helped decorate the Towers - they are lovely. I asked her what her next project was. She told me it was the new ship - they will go to Germany to live for 5 months - getting the ship ready and then bring it home - putting all the finishing touches on it as they cross the Atlantic. She said it would be long days and nights finishing it up. I got the feeling there wouldn't be guests on that sailing. Darn! I wanted to ask so badly - what month will that be? Of course I didn't ask. Do you think Disney will start a Dream blog as it is being built? Holland did that with the Eurodam - it was so exciting watching the ship being built. I checked the blog everyday. Sure wish Disney would do that for all of us crazy Disney cruise fans.

I doubt it! You know how secretive Disney is. They would probably want a huge unveiling - even keeping a few things secret for those on that first cruise.

What a great job that cast member has! Thanks for the interesting info.

Jodie

I doubt it! You know how secretive Disney is. They would probably want a huge unveiling - even keeping a few things secret for those on that first cruise.

Jodie

They have to have a shake down cruise before they can have guest on board. The T A would be the perfect opportunity to do shake down with the crew completing the last miniute touches and clean up during the two weeks. Then they can have the big reveal and the 1st cruise. I am one who will wait until the gliches have be discovered and corrected before I will book on the new ship. Also I prefer the longer cruises so if all goes as expected it will be 2012 before I am on a new ship. I just hope DCL does not price me off the ship. I almost expect that when looking at 2010 prices.

They have to have a shake down cruise before they can have guest on board. The T A would be the perfect opportunity to do shake down with the crew completing the last miniute touches and clean up during the two weeks. Then they can have the big reveal and the 1st cruise. I am one who will wait until the gliches have be discovered and corrected before I will book on the new ship. Also I prefer the longer cruises so if all goes as expected it will be 2012 before I am on a new ship. I just hope DCL does not price me off the ship. I almost expect that when looking at 2010 prices.

I'm with you - LOVE those long cruises. After you've done a long one, the short ones are a bit anti-climactic. Think I'm getting spoiled. I'm wondering if the Wonder will be doing any longer cruises once they relocate to the West coast (other than the repo). I'm crossing my fingers for a long Alaska trip. I also would really like to do the canal. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out due to the kids' school schedules. Sure wish they'd hurry and announce 2011 itineraries.

Jodie

Jodie

I was thinking along the same lines about tyring to get on one of the new ships for the crossing.
I emailed reservations and asked a general question if there was a chance they would have paying guests coming home,and got a whole lot of nothing for an answer. They did send me all of the stats etc and said they were not taking reservations for the new ships. Never asked for a reservation only if they would have paying guests comong home with the ship.(My fault for email reservations to ask that question. Live and learn)
Long story short, I called reservations for our next cruise and was talking to a CM who had been with DCL almost since the beginning, and she was telling me that she had heard of paying guests coming home on the Magic and Wonder and had talked to them, and did not see why the new ships would be any different.
Also, if I am not mistaken, past practice has several new builds, no matter where they were built stop at Southhampton and taking on guests, before going either on a tour cruise or going to their homeports.Kinda makes sense that they would make a little money coming home.

I copied this from another thread regarding upcoming itinerary announcements. It was posted by RanCan -

"I have heard that bookings will be in October but announcement of 2011 itineraries(sp?) will be at D23 Expo out here in Anaheim Sept 10-13... "

I also read that a Palo waitress said that Palo on the new ship will be twice as large with outdoor seating. In addition, there will be a french restaurant.

Jodie

I copied this from another thread regarding upcoming itinerary announcements. It was posted by RanCan -

"I have heard that bookings will be in October but announcement of 2011 itineraries(sp?) will be at D23 Expo out here in Anaheim Sept 10-13... "

I also read that a Palo waitress said that Palo on the new ship will be twice as large with outdoor seating. In addition, there will be a french restaurant.

Jodie

I'm hoping we'll get some juicy details about 2011 while on the DVC Members Cruise (Sept. 13-17).

Also, about the French restaurant thing, isn't Lumiere's a French restaurant? It would seem to me that something like an Italian restaurant (perhaps from Lady & The Tramp) would make for better news.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter