DCL shows that they CAN cancel cruises for no reason - Wonder's 12/9/12 and on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done a PC cruise, but if it was scheduled around a school break I'd be doing everything I could to be on it. It seems the cruises I'd love to be on though always fall during the school year.

I just saw that Pacific Coast cruise. It sure looks MIGHTY appealing. I may have to book it when I'm on board. ;)

I believe that in this case the poster was referring to a Panama Canal repositioning cruise. Those are generally 14-15 nights and have been scheduled in May, August and January in the past.

Seeing is believing. I cruised Carnival 3x before finally splurging on DCL. I'd rather cruise DCL once than Carnival twice. In fact, I'd rather go to work & save my vacation time for something else than cruise Carnival. :laughing:
jmho.

Is Carnival a bad cruise line? I know their 'stereotype' is partying and drinking but I don't know if this is true.

My friends are considering Carnival so Im just wondering.

Is Carnival a bad cruise line? I know their 'stereotype' is partying and drinking but I don't know if this is true.

No, Carnival is a very good cruiseline with some excellent services and amenities. However, this is the DCL forum so opinions should be expected to be a bit polarized.

The caveat would be that Carnival's shorter 3-day "over a weekend sailings" do tend to cater to a younger and more uninhibited crowd. 7-day sailings have a good mix of families and singles.

No, Carnival is a very good cruiseline with some excellent services and amenities. However, this is the DCL forum so opinions should be expected to be a bit polarized.

The caveat would be that Carnival's shorter 3-day "over a weekend sailings" do tend to cater to a younger and more uninhibited crowd. 7-day sailings have a good mix of families and singles.

OK, I had considered Carnival. And i know many people who say how great it is. But for now Im sticking with Disney!

Has anyone pondered the thought that the Magic when going into drydock in 2012 may be upgrading/getting their own outlook cafe? Maybe the Magic will do Hawaii/Alaska in 2013? and the Wonder goes to the Med for 2013? A total Jaw dropper for all of us DISers? :eek:

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head. When I was booking on board last week, I told the agent that we really wanted to book a trip to Alaska in 2013 and we were hoping the dates would be out by March. He said that he believed that Disney would be going to Alaska in 2013, but it may not be the Wonder. He also mentioned that he thought the dates for 2013 should be coming out in January. Just an FYI to add to all the speculation.:)

If them Magic is going to do that in 2012 then a few months of cruises would have to be canceled. That wouldn't make sense, right? Someone posted that they meant she going to dry dock in 2013 not 2013. 2012 was an error. Also, the Wonder, of course, could take over the Magic's itinerary but then DCL would also be canceling a bunch of fall 3012 cruises one potentially being Hawaii so that wouldn't make sense either.

If them Magic is going to do that in 2012 then a few months of cruises would have to be canceled. That wouldn't make sense, right? Someone posted that they meant she going to dry dock in 2013 not 2013. 2012 was an error. Also, the Wonder, of course, could take over the Magic's itinerary but then DCL would also be canceling a bunch of fall 3012 cruises one potentially being Hawaii so that wouldn't make sense either.

Since no 2013 cruises have been announced for the Magic or Wonder - there are no cruises that would be cancelled for the Magic to have an extended dry dock. However, from what I've seen Princes and Royal Caribbean do when they completely revamp a ship - it doesn't require 3 months.

Since no 2013 cruises have been announced for the Magic or Wonder - there are no cruises that would be cancelled for the Magic to have an extended dry dock. However, from what I've seen Princes and Royal Caribbean do when they completely revamp a ship - it doesn't require 3 months.

Oh it all makes sense for 2013. The prev post referred to 2012.

Oh it all makes sense for 2013. The prev post referred to 2012.
We know DCL cancelled several Dec. 2012 MR cruises. However, they aren't cancelling 3 months' worth of cruises in the fall for an extended dry dock.

*I wasn't sure what your previous post referred to, cuz it looked like you were typing in your sleep! :lmao:

If you want to know more about Carnival, I suggest you check out CruiseCritic. There is quite a bit of good information over there about each cruise line.

IMO Carnival is more of a budget cruise line but they deliver some very appealing options. They have more ships on the water and are sailing some new ships as well. It is a good option for those interested in cruising.

Thats correct. Typical drydocks are around 14 days, with extensions up to around 28 days. It depends on a few different things like what they have planned for a ship. If they plan to cut a ship in half and add a section, it takes longer. if they plan on doing sections of a ship, not as long. The other big thing is that yard times are scheduled in advance. So as a ship leaves a dd, its not uncommon for another to take its place same day, or within a short time frame.

It makes more sense to have Magic in the West Carrib. from TX in the "cold months" and Europe in the summer.

Then the Wonder do Bahamas/E. Carrib. then Alaska in the summer.

Its possible they could switch but I dont see it happening since its so expensive to put a ship through PC.

We know DCL cancelled several Dec. 2012 MR cruises. However, they aren't cancelling 3 months' worth of cruises in the fall for an extended dry dock.

*I wasn't sure what your previous post referred to, cuz it looked like you were typing in your sleep! :lmao:

Probably was! :lmao: I have this horrible cold and cannot sleep at night at all. Driving me crazy!

I think it's just a matter of what you like. We sailed Carnival once (a 7 day, to avoid the 3 day party ships) and won't ever sail it again. Loved the ports, hated the ship, the staff, and many of the passengers.

On the other hand, we cruised Alaska on RCCL last summer and it was, hands down, the best cruise we've ever taken.

(apologies if this has been answered and I know it is slightly off topic)... Why would DCL take the Wonder and move it east and then move the Magic west (for alaska)? They are basically identical structurally. Seems kind of strange to flip flop ships like that.

(apologies if this has been answered and I know it is slightly off topic)... Why would DCL take the Wonder and move it east and then move the Magic west (for alaska)? They are basically identical structurally. Seems kind of strange to flip flop ships like that.

Exactly what I was thinking. And if DCL still wanted to sail Alaska in the summer, the Wonder already has that "bar" that works well in Alaska's climate. Wouldn't be suprised if Wonder does Carrib. in fall/winter and Alaska in the summer. Best of both worlds! haha no pun intended :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter