DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning gents.
Deep freeze returned. -32C/-26F... but at least the wind's died down and I don't have to shovel the cold.

Hope everyone else is a tad... warmer. :)

Monday morning. I knew it had to come eventually.
DD18 (who will be 19 in week) told us over the weekend her a some friends are looking at a week long trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic after this semester is done at university. She technically can afford it since she has the money in the bank and has a summer job already lined up at the ice cream place again. I say technically because I'm still paying for her car, insurance, lodging, and she got most of her first year of university paid for on scholarship.
I guess she's at the age where I am supposed to let go and let her make her own choices, good or bad.
I just hope she doesn't get the idea that she can do this every year.
I know some of you dads have DDs in that age range. Just looking for moral support I suppose.

I used to work in a grocery store deli/ bakery where I learned to cook. Today it was challah bread as I knew I had plenty of time for proofing. I do a three strand platt and put in in a round dish. Looks and tastes great. I'm ok with puff pastry and cakes.
That's an awesome skill to have. I cook up most things from scratch but I leave baking alone, never really got into it.
I attempt to cook but I am not that good at it. I enjoy baking, but don't do it that often. I'm OK at it. Pretty good with banana muffins and chocolate chip cookies. I find its more relaxing than anything.

We've tried all 3 meal times at CRT. The breakfast used to be good and the other two were dreadful. They changed the breakfast, so we won't go back. I know it's about the castle experience, but the food is inedible. We've never tried Akershus for dinner, but I think we would give it a whirl before CRT again.
We did CRT breakfast 8 years ago. It was fine then, but not worth the price.
We enjoyed Akershus for breakfast and did that twice times, but took a break last trip.

Theoretically warmer at -11C but 10-15cm of snow is supposed to hit this afternoon and tonight. I shouldn't complain too much because it's been a month since any significant snow. But still not fun.

And Monday arrived again. 007 had a chance to prevent that in the future, but must have been distracted by a princess or futbol match.

Until they changed her outfit. One of the great tragedies of the 21st century.
r.

::yes::

Morning gents.
Deep freeze returned. -32C/-26F... but at least the wind's died down and I don't have to shovel the cold.

21 degrees here this morning. I think it's a 30+ degree drop from yesterday. Stupid cold weather.

DD18 (who will be 19 in week) told us over the weekend her a some friends are looking at a week long trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic after this semester is done at university. She technically can afford it since she has the money in the bank and has a summer job already lined up at the ice cream place again. I say technically because I'm still paying for her car, insurance, lodging, and she got most of her first year of university paid for on scholarship.
I guess she's at the age where I am supposed to let go and let her make her own choices, good or bad.
I know some of you dads have DDs in that age range. Just looking for moral support I suppose.

No, she technically can't afford it as you are paying her car, insurance, & lodging. Mine has that same mindset, and even though she is working, she isn't thinking about the future. My oldest is 17, and I let her drive my car, which is already paid for. When she says "my car", I quickly remind her it is mine and she isn't leaving home with it in a year. I'm all for supporting our children as adults, but that means supporting them making good decisions. If they take a vacation while I'm paying their bills and not going on vacation, then it's not a good decision.

I hope it works out. I anticipate DW and I fighting about this next year when my oldest graduates from HS. She has watched her parents enable her brother's poor financial decisions for 20+ years, and I fear she will do the same for our dds.

Good luck with that. My daughter is 20, and fortunately has a pretty good head on her shoulders. (She still remembers the lean years when I worked for the state university.) She's looking at spending a year in Germany as part of her college program, though, and I know she's got plans to enjoy the hell out of it while she's there. There's at least one weekend trip to Disneyland Paris planned, for example.

I'm kind of dreading when younger son heads off to college, he doesn't remember that time at all.

Afternoon boys, my last week as a SAHD, and I get to camp out in Lego Towers in London.

And Monday arrived again. 007 had a chance to prevent that in the future, but must have been distracted by a princess or futbol match.
Or both?
If you get a chance, watch the Chelsea/Man City end of game where the Kepa, the Chelski Goalkeeper, flat out refuses to come off to be substituted. I have never seen anything like it. Even the commentators are flabbergasted.
It's like a Dickensian movie in real time.
Just looking for moral support I suppose.
I'm not there yet, but :hug:
There's at least one weekend trip to Disneyland Paris planned, for example.
Love DLP.

Have a great day chaps.

Akershus breakfast was always good. That cold buffet was a nice plus. What did they have? Lingonberry?

Them cheesy potatoes too. :love:

Plus, I snapped this picture there over a decade ago.

View attachment 384632

My girls kept saying Jasmine was my favorite princess that trip, although they didn't know why. Now they do. :lmao:

Lol! The first time we went to Akershus was when I took my wife for our Honeymoon. Jasmine was the only one of the princesses that asked if I wanted to get my picture taken with her. I'm guessing she was used to dudes asking. :rotfl2:

On a side note, my wife is a huge Sleeping Beauty fan, and when Aurora came to the table, my wife started ugly sobbing and hugged her within an inch of her life. Aurora looked at me all scared, and I just shrugged, "You're her favorite." She nodded and was back into character. That interaction was the whole reason I booked that ADR, and it did not disappoint. One of my favorite Disney memories.

TL

Top O the Mornin Dads! Looks and sounds like everyone is doing good. Head out of town again this afternoon, quick turnaround and back home tomorrow night. Then the next dang time I get on a plane will be for DaWorld!
Tough one for sure but from what I have seen you post here over the years seems like a good kid with a good head on her shoulders. I get that you and many other families, cover the cell phones, car insurance, tuition, etc. I would look at it as if she doesn't go you would still pay for the other stuff so if she goes on her dime then maybe not too bad. I have seen what our 2 kids schedules, stress and workloads are like in college and a break like that with friends may not be the worst thing.

Question for you guys that travel often. We're trying to get away without having to check any baggage for our trip and just use carry ons. We've got a small, carry on size suitcase for each of us, but do backpacks count as carry ons or personal items? I'm thinking a small one for my girls and one for my wife and I. It's been a while since the last time we flew and I dont remember how we did it last time.

Also, medical equipment. Can that be packed in my carry on, or should I carry that separate through the TSA checkpoints? It's our first time with medications and m.e..

Also also, any of you have any experience with sending packages home from the resorts? In order to save space for souveniers on the way home we're thinking of bringing along some mailing boxes to send stuff home in. Can you pay for postage at the resorts or do you have to do that at an actual shipping/post office?

TL

Question for you guys that travel often. We're trying to get away without having to check any baggage for our trip and just use carry ons. We've got a small, carry on size suitcase for each of us, but do backpacks count as carry ons or personal items? I'm thinking a small one for my girls and one for my wife and I. It's been a while since the last time we flew and I dont remember how we did it last time.

Also, medical equipment. Can that be packed in my carry on, or should I carry that separate through the TSA checkpoints? It's our first time with medications and m.e..

The rules tend to be "two items, one of which fits under the seat in front of you, and any sort of bag counts as an item". So a backpack and a carry-on suitcase is fine, as long as the backpack fits under the seat. Exactly how uptight they are depends on the airline, how crowded the flight is, and the phase of the moon.

Haven't done medical equipment, and my experience may not be yours as I have TSA Precheck. My understanding for non-precheck is that anything resembling a computer and larger than a cell phone needs to come out - so, laptops, tablets, etc. Other electronics should be fine. Medications aren't generally an issue - if they're gel/liquid, make sure they're in sub-3oz quantities if possible and in your 1 quart ziploc. If you need more than 3oz liquid...not sure how to work that, TBH.

My God Man, hasn't your DD seen Taken?!?

Also also, any of you have any experience with sending packages home from the resorts? In order to save space for souveniers on the way home we're thinking of bringing along some mailing boxes to send stuff home in. Can you pay for postage at the resorts or do you have to do that at an actual shipping/post office?

TL

Hey Patrick, I've traveled a bit and learn a couple of tricks. As Kazrah said, one up and one under for carry on. One trick is to pack half the clothes you need and do laundry half way though your trip. All the resorts have washers and dryers, so you could do multiple loads at a time. Trick two is to bring clothes you can throw away, this will open up space for those souvenirs. If you can pack for the whole trip in your carry on, great, no laundry to do, but still toss your clothes. I have gone as far as going to Goodwill to buy cheap stuff to wear once and toss. So, when we travel we do a roller board and a backpack each. Jodi puts her purse in her backpack so she only has one personal item. I pack my meds in my backpack and c-pap in my roller board, before being Pre-TSA I would have to pull it out for security. So I packed it to be easy to get to, to pull it out and put in back in. I hope this helps, I know you're going to have a great time and I'm glad you're back on the DIS. :thumbsup2

Well, let's see...
I told both my DDs (now 18 & 21) that when they turned 18, the gravy train ended. As long as they are in school, they get free room and board, but... phones? Pay your own. Make-up? Clothes? Car insurance? On your own. Plan accordingly.
As for travelling.... If she's an adult... let her go. But! (I've done this with my DDs) Make sure she knows that if she wants to rent a car... lots won't unless you're 25. Hotel room? Many won't rent unless you're 21.

Theoretically warmer at -11C but 10-15cm of snow is supposed to hit this afternoon and tonight. I shouldn't complain too much because it's been a month since any significant snow. But still not fun.

We had a bucket load of snow. I know... I shoveled 4-5 times yesterday. Not much fell... but the wind was howling. Parts of my driveway were bare... parts were under a couple feet of snow.

slacker

21 degrees here this morning. I think it's a 30+ degree drop from yesterday. Stupid cold weather.

cold?

It's like a Dickensian movie in real time.

Dickens never was this cold.

Check with the airline's web site. There will be defined measurements as to what they will allow as carry on and personal item.

Shouldn't be a problem unless there's liquids. Even then, depending on what it is and if you have documentation, it might be allowed.

:lmao:

Well, let's see...
I told both my DDs (now 18 & 21) that when they turned 18, the gravy train ended. As long as they are in school, they get free room and board, but... phones? Pay your own. Make-up? Clothes? Car insurance? On your own. Plan accordingly.
As for travelling.... If she's an adult... let her go. But! (I've done this with my DDs) Make sure she knows that if she wants to rent a car... lots won't unless you're 25. Hotel room? Many won't rent unless you're 21.

I'm pretty sure that my daughter's going to spend the spring break after she turns 21 in Vegas. Not for gambling, or drinking, or anything else along those lines, but because she's a big Cirque du Soleil fan and there's 6 resident shows there. And she can't get a hotel room until she's 21.

I'm pretty sure that my daughter's going to spend the spring break after she turns 21 in Vegas. Not for gambling, or drinking, or anything else along those lines, but because she's a big Cirque du Soleil fan and there's 6 resident shows there. And she can't get a hotel room until she's 21.
I highly recommend "Ka". That show blew me away. "O" was spectacular too... but I preferred "Ka".

I highly recommend "Ka". That show blew me away. "O" was spectacular too... but I preferred "Ka".

Agreed. Wife and I spent a week in Vegas a couple years back, and then I ended up there for CES last year. Daughter came by her interest in Cirque honestly, let's say.

I'd take Ka as the best of the shows there. I was expecting a lot from O, but came away a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. (Might have been the seats - we had much worse seats than we usually end up with at Cirque shows.) Mystere was better than I expected. Zumanity...um. Impressive, in its own way? Probably best to leave it there.

They do a free behind-the-scenes tour of Ka a couple times a week, which I also recommend. Probably best to do after you've seen the show, so you don't get spoiled for what the stage can do.

Or both?
If you get a chance, watch the Chelsea/Man City end of game where the Kepa, the Chelski Goalkeeper, flat out refuses to come off to be substituted. I have never seen anything like it. Even the commentators are flabbergasted.

I'll check it out if it's still available. Good luck staying at Faulty Towers.

On a side note, my wife is a huge Sleeping Beauty fan, and when Aurora came to the table, my wife started ugly sobbing and hugged her within an inch of her life. Aurora looked at me all scared, and I just shrugged, "You're her favorite." She nodded and was back into character. That interaction was the whole reason I booked that ADR, and it did not disappoint. One of my favorite Disney memories.

TL

My oldest's favorite was Aurora when she was younger. When we first found Aurora at WDW (princess pavilion near the Barnstormer) my oldest couldn't speak. DW and I found it hysterical as she is my child that was born talking and said hi to the doctor in the delivery room.

TL

When youngest dd wanted a snow globe, the CM asked if were flying and offered to do the shipping. I didn't realize that one couldn't fly with a snow globe. I don't know if it was an extra charge as we drove that trip.

:lmao:

Happy NHL trade deadline day! Hey, sports are slow this time of year. You have to find entertainment where you can.

Took my kids to watch the Harlem Globetrotters over the weekend. That was fun. I even picked up a Washington Generals t-shirt. Yes, they lost, but I think they're due. You won't be able to accuse me of being a bandwagon fan when they go on their inevitable run.

Happy NHL trade deadline day! Hey, sports are slow this time of year.
For those of you who stand over there being wrong in your wrongness and ignore the beautiful game, yes it is.
You won't be able to accuse me of being a bandwagon fan when they go on their inevitable run.
I love the optimism. Keep at it. I'm sure they'll win the next one.
Dickens never was this cold.
It must have been all those chimneys.
Apologies, Principal Strickland. Hill Valley High is a tough place.

On the ADR front, got ‘em all within 20 mins of my ideal time, so not too shabby.

Last edited:
Check with the airline's web site. There will be defined measurements as to what they will allow as carry on and personal item.

Shouldn't be a problem unless there's liquids. Even then, depending on what it is and if you have documentation, it might be allowed.

No liquids, just some pills. As for the website, it was pretty vague, just listing stuff like purses and briefcases and laptops as personal items. It's possible I missed something.

Hey Patrick, I've traveled a bit and learn a couple of tricks. As Kazrah said, one up and one under for carry on. One trick is to pack half the clothes you need and do laundry half way though your trip. All the resorts have washers and dryers, so you could do multiple loads at a time. Trick two is to bring clothes you can throw away, this will open up space for those souvenirs. If you can pack for the whole trip in your carry on, great, no laundry to do, but still toss your clothes. I have gone as far as going to Goodwill to buy cheap stuff to wear once and toss. So, when we travel we do a roller board and a backpack each. Jodi puts her purse in her backpack so she only has one personal item. I pack my meds in my backpack and c-pap in my roller board, before being Pre-TSA I would have to pull it out for security. So I packed it to be easy to get to, to pull it out and put in back in. I hope this helps, I know you're going to have a great time and I'm glad you're back on the DIS. :thumbsup2

I'm most worried about having room for all the costumes and dresses DW wants to bring for the girls. (and for herself for the Halloween party) lol!

TL

Morning gents.

Nope.

I'm still at the games although this week I moved to the Nakiska Ski Resort area. This is my office for the until Wednesday.

upload_2019-2-25_22-5-20.png

The yellow circle is where the 88 Olympic downhill started while the green dot is where our kids race from. Here is the bottom of the run which is actually in the middle of the mountain. The Olympic run came all the way down to where I took the first picture from.

upload_2019-2-25_22-9-7.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter