DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Well...made my decision...

Canceling APs.

Used to be able to go 1 maybe 2 times a week and just do on spur of the moment if we decided to. Tried to find a reservation and nothing available for AP not staying at resort until latter half of August and in middle of week. So over 1 month of no access, so what am I paying for?

Canceling APs.

Used to be able to go 1 maybe 2 times a week and just do on spur of the moment if we decided to. Tried to find a reservation and nothing available for AP not staying at resort until latter half of August and in middle of week. So over 1 month of no access, so what am I paying for?
Don't blame you one bit.

Canceling APs.

Sounds like a sensible decision. How much do you get back - is it pro rata'd to your expiry?
Go with the Rogue.
Used that line many times in a bar in my youth....

Never worked ;)
DW is more concerned that wearing a mask for lengthy period will trigger her asthma. So, we debate going, changing to Vero, and just cancelling.
Yeah, that's not a recipe for fun. Hope you get to a decision you are comfortable with mate.

I'll be back later with armchair imagineering, I started this and got distracted

Morning all. Normally, I'd be excited about the single digit dance. I'm ready to go to WDW, fully expecting this could be the best trip ever with an empty park or worse trip as they close the day we arrive and we lose all the $. The virus really hasn't impacted my thinking as I know a few who have caught it traveling, some caught it never leaving the house, and others got in from their daily routine. Thankfully, all are still alive and only one went to the hospital. DW is more concerned that wearing a mask for lengthy period will trigger her asthma. So, we debate going, changing to Vero, and just cancelling.

I hope things work out for you and you're able to take this trip. Best of luck.

That is good news. Good luck on the interview today.

Thanks, dude.

Best wishes.

Thank, man.

Congrats dude. I'll pray...better than good thoughts. IMHO

Thanks, man.

Within $1? Basically that's due to accounting. They will take your requested salary and divide by the number of pay periods (normally 24 or 26) and then drop anything past the 2nd decimal.
For example only:
Request $10,000 per year.
26 pay periods
Comes out to 384.61 (vs 384.62 if they rounded) per pay period which equals 9999.86.
Only a few pennys difference, but for the company, a few pennys for every employee can add up.
Magnify that by 20K, 30K, 40K, etc and it really adds up.

Never thought of it that way, so while I get close, the company is really making out. Guess I can't blame them, but still would have liked that extra dollar.

So...depending on how the interview goes, you'll have to decide...job, potential for promotion, pay, benefits, commute and then decide the best option.

The interview went really well, but I'll post more on that in a bit. If I take the real estate position, not only would it be a five minute drive from my house, but the potential to make more money is there, and I'll be doing more substantive work. Essentially, I'll have my own little practice, so to speak. It's the attorneys who start the process and do what they do, but I do everything else, which is more exciting than moving pallets around. Still, a decision to make.

If you decide to commit to give him a year, find out what you need to do to help him get promoted so you can get his job. Not trying to take his job, per se, but helping each other advance.

If I don't get the real estate position, I'll make my supervisor look good, no doubt about that...but he's going to have to make me look good, and help me out as well.

Morning folks.
A day off for me. Just once I'd like to sleep in, but either I can't sleep, or on the day that I'm able to, my youngest (who's getting ready for work) makes as much noise as an overloaded 747 on takeoff on a cold morning.

Isn't that always the case? You can sleep in, but your body won't let you...or someone makes a lot of noise. I'm so use to getting up early that I can't sleep past 5am, 5:30 am at the latest....so I feel your pain. And since I'm up so early I never have the problem of my DD making all kinds of noise...so can't help you there.

That all sounds good. Good luck with the interview.

Thanks, dude.

Good news on many fronts! Good luck with the interview.

Canceling APs.

Hate to see that, but understand. How much will you be getting back?

Ok, so the interview yesterday went really well, and I do mean really well. I had practiced an opening line for when they asked the question, "So tell me about yourself?" but didn't need it. In fact, all the things I had practiced for this interview weren't used because it wasn't a typical interview. But had I not practiced any of those interview techniques, I would have needed them, guaranteed. When I first got there, I was shown into the conference room and given some water. I pulled out my notes and started writing stuff down when one of the two partners I was to interview with came in. Turns out, the first partner that came in, Brian, is one of the named partners, so that was impressive. I thought I was going to meet with the office administrator and an associate, but no, a named partner and one other partner, who I'd be working closely with. We must have spent the first half-hour discussing books, authors, music and local community theater. Turns out we, Brian (the named partner), and Jess (the other partner), and I, know many of the same people. Jess's DFiL is now a retired Judge, who I have met and have had the pleasure of working with a couple of times for Law Day. Once the actual interview began, Brian started off by saying, "I have no doubt you can do this job. My only concern is that you are coming from a very toney firm, and even your previous firm is nothing to sneeze at, so I'm not sure you'd be happy with what we would offer in pay and benefits." I had to reassure him a couple of times throughout the interview that I wasn't that I know the area and what what to expect pay wise, so not to worry about. So all in all, after a two (2) hour interview, longest I've never had, it went well. I did ask about time frame and told him that I have an offer from my current temp job, but would rather work in the legal field if given a chance. I was told that they had one more person to interview on Friday and then they'd make a decision. I thought I had clicked well with them, and they with me, so I feel confident. Well, gotta run, have a good day, gents.

TTFN

Last edited:
Never thought of it that way, so while I get close, the company is really making out. Guess I can't blame them, but still would have liked that extra dollar
Psychologically, I get that.
But think about this...that one dollar spread over 24 or 26 pay periods...is that .04 a pay period really going to make a difference?

The interview went really well, but I'll post more on that in a bit. If I take the real estate position, not only would it be a five minute drive from my house, but the potential to make more money is there, and I'll be doing more substantive work. Essentially, I'll have my own little practice, so to speak. It's the attorneys who start the process and do what they do, but I do everything else, which is more exciting than moving pallets around. Still, a decision to make.
5 min drive is good. Saves a lot in gas, wear and tear (both the vehicle and you) and insurance. Potential for more money is good.

If I don't get the real estate position, I'll make my supervisor look good, no doubt about that...but he's going to have to make me look good, and help me out as well.
The thing is...always tell your boss you want their job, but you'll do what you need to to get them promoted so you can have it. Again psychologically, they're more likely to help you succeed if they know you're helping them. Yes, it's a two way street, but as the person with the authority/ability to fire you, it's a lopsided street.

Isn't that always the case? You can sleep in, but your body won't let you...or someone makes a lot of noise. I'm so use to getting up early that I can't sleep past 5am, 5:30 am at the latest....so I feel your pain. And since I'm up so early I never have the problem of my DD making all kinds of noise...so can't help you there.
::yes::
Oh, this is so me...woke up at 4:30 this morning.

Hate to see that, but understand. How much will you be getting back?
Not certain, but probably 400-600 each.

I had to reassure him a couple of times throughout the interview that I wasn't that I know the area and what what to expect pay wise, so not to worry about.
Not sure I understand this.

So all in all, after a two (2) hour interview, longest I've never had, it went well.
The longer the better. If they think you're a bufoon(like me) or not qualified, they'll typically want to get you out the door. Longest I ever had was 3.5 hours and yes, I got the job. On the other hand, my current job, got called Tue afternoon to see if I was interested(wasn't one I applied for...out of the blue). Interviewed Thu afternoon for maybe 1.5 hours. Had the offer on Friday. Literally a Godsend...I was miserable in previous job.

like a sensible decision. How much do you get back - is it pro rata'd to your expiry?
I'm not certain...

I'll get back payments made March - August. No longer making payments after that, so not exactly sure. DW's was from Nov or Dec and mine was from January, so I should get back most of mine and less for her.

I'll have to see if I can find the contracts....don't know all the minutiae. I figure somewhere between $400 and $600 each between what I get back and don't pay.

Morning Gents.

Cool and cloudy here this morning but that made for a comfortable run earlier. Looking like a quiet day at the office, just wrapping some things up before taking next week off for a bit of a staycation. Bonus on that is the government announced a program yesterday to try to stimulate some in-province travel for residents and come October we can get 20% of what we spend on most things on this staycation.

This week's TBT pic, we won't be camping in this trip but we will be close by to this spot in Fundy National Park where Declan had his first camping trip.
KSCN0002.jpg

Morning gents.
Hoping to finish repairs on the gate today before heading off to work this afternoon.

Used that line many times in a bar in my youth....

Never worked ;)
:laughing:
But had I not practiced any of those interview techniques, I would have needed them, guaranteed.
"I have no doubt you can do this job. My only concern is that you are coming from a very toney firm, and even your previous firm is nothing to sneeze at, so I'm not sure you'd be happy with what we would offer in pay and benefits."
Whoa! Well all right, then!
I was told that they had one more person to interview on Friday and then they'd make a decision.
So you should know fairly soon. That's good. Hope it works out!
Cool and cloudy here this morning but that made for a comfortable run earlier.
How often do you run?

Thanks. I've run every day for the past 9 days or 15 times in July so far (anywhere from 2-5K) and frankly... I'm a little tired. Kinda figured I was over-doing it.

When I was working from home we were on a 6 day cycle. Run 5K one day and walk 6 or 7 the next day. 7th day was an off day. Now that I'm back in the office, it is just the running for me.

Morning all. Been on a 90 minute conference call this AM, with 30 more minutes to go. Ugh.

Good luck in your decision process - I knowthis isn't easy. Just to make sure you are aware, they have set up mask free zones in the parks for folks to be able to sit and relax without a mask.

And, if you're eating or drinking, then I think you get to remove your mask. I told her I'm willing to take lots of beer breaks. For her.

I misspoke. I'm sure you'll do whatever DW is comfortable with.

This.

Canceling APs.

I'm there with you. We keep checking the website for Vero openings and will make a call tomorrow to see if there is any magic.

Yeah, that's not a recipe for fun. Hope you get to a decision you are comfortable with mate.

I think it's the unknown. She knows her condition obviously, but she's never wore a mask longer than an hour to attend Church. Plus, I get a little more Disney crazy when I'm there, walking a bit faster, one more ride, etc. I promised her that i will go slow and at her pace.

I hope things work out for you and you're able to take this trip.

Thanks. And, with the other post, it sounds like a good offer especially as it gets to be your own practice.

Psychologically, I get that.
But think about this...that one dollar spread over 24 or 26 pay periods...is that .04 a pay period really going to make a difference?

That's true.

5 min drive is good. Saves a lot in gas, wear and tear (both the vehicle and you) and insurance. Potential for more money is good.

:thumbsup2

The thing is...always tell your boss you want their job, but you'll do what you need to to get them promoted so you can have it. Again psychologically, they're more likely to help you succeed if they know you're helping them. Yes, it's a two way street, but as the person with the authority/ability to fire you, it's a lopsided street.

Oh, this is so me...woke up at 4:30 this morning.

I feel your pain, I was awake at 3 am this morning. Come 2 pm I'm going to be looking for a nap.

Not certain, but probably 400-600 each.

Not bad, at least it's something

Not sure I understand this.

Well, it made sense in my head when I typed it this morning. Basically I had to reassure him that I know the Cape isn't Boston, and that I'm not that expensive...I'm not a cheap date either. I'm talking, chili's, not McDonald's. 😆 I want the job, and I wanted to prove to him I'm not too expensive.

The longer the better. If they think you're a bufoon(like me) or not qualified, they'll typically want to get you out the door. Longest I ever had was 3.5 hours and yes, I got the job. On the other hand, my current job, got called Tue afternoon to see if I was interested(wasn't one I applied for...out of the blue). Interviewed Thu afternoon for maybe 1.5 hours. Had the offer on Friday. Literally a Godsend...I was miserable in previous job.

I've only had one go really long and did wind up getting the job, so this is looking good. Oh I'm sure you're not a buffoon. So you had someone call your current job about you, looking to steal you away from them? Is that normal? How'd your boss handle that? Must not have liked that you were being headhunted right at work.

I'm not certain...

I'll get back payments made March - August. No longer making payments after that, so not exactly sure. DW's was from Nov or Dec and mine was from January, so I should get back most of mine and less for her.

I'll have to see if I can find the contracts....don't know all the minutiae. I figure somewhere between $400 and $600 each between what I get back and don't pay.

I'd hope you'd get payments for March on back...it's not like you used it then.

Because you know that would have been the case, at least with me.

Whoa! Well all right, then!

Right?! They weren't certainly shy about telling me what they were thinking, which you have to be in an interview. I had also mentioned that there was something about having a short commute and a good work life balance that this would afford me. So he knows where I stand on that.

So you should know fairly soon. That's good. Hope it works out!

I should. Kind of secretly hoping that they'll let me know tomorrow afternoon, but doubt that'll happen. And thanks, hoping it works out, too.

Hey there guys! Had to furlough some folks yesterday and today, volumes are just not rebounding yet. I think we are doing the right thing with furloughs rather than layoffs for the team member but if the federal subsidy for unemployment does get extended past July 31 gonna be real tough for folks - hate having to manage this stuff cause it's so out of our control.

Regarding Imagineering in Frontierland, this one is tough. Have to keep with the theme of the "old west" and with the social positions of today so many things of the old west are considered not appropriate today - guns, Native American portrayal, etc. Also not a lot of Disney IP that fits the old west.
  1. Eliminate bottleneck of Spalsh and BTMRR. When re-theming Splash create a new path that goes around to the left of Splash as you face it that gets ya to the queue
  2. Let's do something with Tom Sawyer Island. There is more land as you go behind HM that could be used. I've identified the opportunity now one of you guys come up with what to do :rotfl2:
Morning Gents.

Cool and cloudy here this morning but that made for a comfortable run earlier. Looking like a quiet day at the office, just wrapping some things up before taking next week off for a bit of a staycation. Bonus on that is the government announced a program yesterday to try to stimulate some in-province travel for residents and come October we can get 20% of what we spend on most things on this staycation.

This week's TBT pic, we won't be camping in this trip but we will be close by to this spot in Fundy National Park where Declan had his first camping trip.
View attachment 510794
Great pick and looks like I'm late - but Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs Darcy!
I think it's the unknown. She knows her condition obviously, but she's never wore a mask longer than an hour to attend Church. Plus, I get a little more Disney crazy when I'm there, walking a bit faster, one more ride, etc. I promised her that i will go slow and at her pace.
Hopefully the crazy low wait times and crowds (except HS, which should slow a bit) are more conducive to a slower pace to be better for DW if you go.

OK so enjoy Friday Eve and be safe guys!

When I was working from home we were on a 6 day cycle. Run 5K one day and walk 6 or 7 the next day. 7th day was an off day. Now that I'm back in the office, it is just the running for me.
So you run 6X/week?
I would stick in a couple of rest days mate, just to build muscle and give your joints a break. So to speak. Better to run 2 x 4 than 4 x 2.
Yeah, gonna have to start doing that I think.
Morning all. Been on a 90 minute conference call this AM, with 30 more minutes to go. Ugh.
Fun!

No?
I should. Kind of secretly hoping that they'll let me know tomorrow afternoon, but doubt that'll happen. And thanks, hoping it works out, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter