Dealing with The Loss of a Son

I simply can't imagine what it would be like to lose my son. He is 10 and is my entire world. Many can't understand how it is we have such a close relationship and the story behind it is actually long and painful to tell. Suffice to say that at times something incredibly good can come from something incredibly bad.

I know you miss your son, but if you believe in God know that he is in a better place and is looking down and watching over you every moment of your life. I am sure he would want you to move on with your life as hard as that is. Try to live your life and honor his memory in the things you do every day. I'm sure he would like that.

Take care.

God bless.

I just happened upon this thread today as I was looking for something on ADD/ADHD. I just want to offer my sincere condolences. I have a friend who is dealing with the loss of a son (Oct 2008). Its been a difficult journey and I don't think its a journey that ever ends.

I recently had the opportunity to sing at a candle lighting service for Compassionate Friends. What a wonderful support group. I was so impressed by their caring, concern, and support. I feel so honored that they asked me to come back next year.

I have two teenage sons and losing one of them is my worst fear. I really hope that you are able to find moments, hours, and days of peace.

Thank You all for the continued support
I know Im not on here as often as I could be, but even the DisBoards are full of so so so many Memories of a Life I no longer have and it is a continual struggle for me to enjoy anything that we use to do as a family since I no longer have that family

:guilty:

Thank You all for the continued support
I know Im not on here as often as I could be, but even the DisBoards are full of so so so many Memories of a Life I no longer have and it is a continual struggle for me to enjoy anything that we use to do as a family since I no longer have that family

:guilty:

:hug:

I just found this thread today... read the first page, then jumped to the last...

shocked, to say the least!
(so of course I went back through the whole thread).

First, I'm so incredibly sorry for the loss of your beautiful son :hug:

Second, I'm so sorry your dh did what he did, and same for his "girlfriend". How did your dh not think "what would my ds think of me doing this to his mother?" right in the beginning????

I remember when a friend was going through a divorce, another friend joked to her "the elephants have it right! they reproduce, then the females all hang out and raise the kids together w/out the males"... I always get a chuckle out of that (I'm actually not even sure if it's true or not, but it's funny).

And good for you for going back to school! What a very strong woman you are... you deserve a wonderful life, and you will have it!

Regarding the above, I did the same. Oh my goodness pfishgirl, I am so very sorry. Here I've been feeling sorry for myself because my husband told me two weeks ago that he doesn't "feel it" for me anymore, and that he wants out. I never saw it coming, and I and my three adult children are devastated and shocked. I came to this board for support, but after reading some of these threads, I am ashamed for how sorry I was feeling for myself. You have my deepest sympathy. I will keep you in my prayers.:hug:

Hey phishgirl - Just checking in to say hi and send a hug. I totally know what you mean about sometimes having trouble facing things from your "old life." We all understand.

Let me briefly tell my story:
During the years my youngest daughter was in high school band, a group of mothers formed a "club"...The MOB (Mothers of Band). Our lives then centered around our children and their band activities. We'd meet once or twice a month at our "leader's" home; have dinner, a few drinks and talk...and TALK.
Ten years ago one of our "sons" lost his life in an auto accident...the evening we were all on our way to the monthly Band Booster meeting. We all grieved and supported one another...and the entire band; we even sat together as a group at the funeral in a section marked, "The MOB".
Eventually our children all graduated high school but we still continued to meet a few times a year and stayed friends. Then 3 of our young men, all Marines, were called to serve in Iraq. While they were receiving their final training before leaving, our "leader", a wonderful, caring, precious lady passed away. She suffered from MS, having spent years in a wheelchair but died from an aneurysm. (Her husband had passed away a number of years ago.) She was kept on life-support until her Marine son could return home to say his final goodbye.
Thanking our Lord, all 3 of "our" Marines returned home safely. But a few months later tragedy struck again. Upon their return my DH (a Vietnam vet) visited with them and after his visit with one of the young men he "had a feeling" something about this Marine wasn't exactly right. Well...he was right. This young Marine was suffering from PTS-post traumatic stress syndrome. A long, long story here that I won't and can't go into entirely. He was under the care of a VA doctor but was not taking his medication correctly. Three days before "the incident" his mother tried to get in touch with his doctor to express her concern; either the message for the doctor was lost or never delivered but on the 3rd day after that phone call this mother "lost" her son. He murdered two people. After the shots were fired he stayed with them rendering 1st Aid and called 9-1-1; waiting with the victims until the ambulance and police arrived. During his trial there was a lot of "confidential" information between him and his VA doctor that was not allowed. In other words, his defense was PTS but his attorney was not allowed to present the evidence supporting this diagnosis. The young man was very, very sick. He thought he was back in Iraq, under attack when he fired his weapon. Sad, sad situation, not only for the victims and their family but for the Marine and his family...and friends. Talk about being "torn"; I had a very, very difficult time with this but the ministers of our church helped us all tremendously. He was sentenced to death and is now in prison waiting the results of his appeal.
Now...while this was going on, my son-in-law, age 28, had been hospitalized off and on for a little over a year. Ten days after the shooting, HE passed away. My precious baby girl was a widow and alone at age 26.
Fast forward a year...and a week; the son-in-law of my cousin (also a young man in his late 20's) was killed in a work related accident. He and his wife were the parents of a 3 year old little girl. Another young widow in our family. We just (yesterday) observed the first anniversay of that death.
As I type this I'm thinking..."your fellow Disboarders are going to think you're making this all up". The sad, sad fact is ...I'm not. The past few years of our life have been pure hell. We could not have made it through without the support of our family/friends and our 2 adorable granddaughters. And for me...Disboards! That may sound shallow but, Disboards is my "escape". I spend time here every day/night...sometime for 10 minutes; sometime for 2 hours. I have to think of nothing sad (except the fact that a trip to Disney for this year isn't going to happen! Damn economy!!!); I can help "1st timers", answering their questions and giving (for what it's worth!) advice; I get to enjoy beautiful pictures, not only from DW but from across our beautiful nation; I received advice from other Disboarders on how to "handle" the first wedding anniversary with DD after SIL passed away; I was able to tell others of a special "Magical Moment" when DD went back to DW with us for the first time after her husbands death-they had honeymooned there and our arrival date for the trip last year fell on their anniversary date-I told the CM as we checked in the "meaning" of the date and, bless her precious heart, she sent cupcakes to our room with a wish for a "Magical Stay";I get to play silly games (driving some Disboarders crazy! :headache:); I get to dream of our next trip.
Your life will never be the same; I often long for "the good old days" when our family/friends saw good times. But, something I've said probably a thousand times, "God never gives you more than you can handle". Remember that always. :tink:

Regarding the above, I did the same. Oh my goodness pfishgirl, I am so very sorry. Here I've been feeling sorry for myself because my husband told me two weeks ago that he doesn't "feel it" for me anymore, and that he wants out. I never saw it coming, and I and my three adult children are devastated and shocked. I came to this board for support, but after reading some of these threads, I am ashamed for how sorry I was feeling for myself. You have my deepest sympathy. I will keep you in my prayers.:hug:

Teresa, don't feel ashamed. We all are dealing with what life handed us. Please feel free if you would like to start a thread. The power of prayer, and caring here, is absolutely amazing. It was what helped me so much. :hug:
Let me briefly tell my story:
During the years my youngest daughter was in high school band, a group of mothers formed a "club"...The MOB (Mothers of Band). Our lives then centered around our children and their band activities. We'd meet once or twice a month at our "leader's" home; have dinner, a few drinks and talk...and TALK.
Ten years ago one of our "sons" lost his life in an auto accident...the evening we were all on our way to the monthly Band Booster meeting. We all grieved and supported one another...and the entire band; we even sat together as a group at the funeral in a section marked, "The MOB".
Eventually our children all graduated high school but we still continued to meet a few times a year and stayed friends. Then 3 of our young men, all Marines, were called to serve in Iraq. While they were receiving their final training before leaving, our "leader", a wonderful, caring, precious lady passed away. She suffered from MS, having spent years in a wheelchair but died from an aneurysm. (Her husband had passed away a number of years ago.) She was kept on life-support until her Marine son could return home to say his final goodbye.
Thanking our Lord, all 3 of "our" Marines returned home safely. But a few months later tragedy struck again. Upon their return my DH (a Vietnam vet) visited with them and after his visit with one of the young men he "had a feeling" something about this Marine wasn't exactly right. Well...he was right. This young Marine was suffering from PTS-post traumatic stress syndrome. A long, long story here that I won't and can't go into entirely. He was under the care of a VA doctor but was not taking his medication correctly. Three days before "the incident" his mother tried to get in touch with his doctor to express her concern; either the message for the doctor was lost or never delivered but on the 3rd day after that phone call this mother "lost" her son. He murdered two people. After the shots were fired he stayed with them rendering 1st Aid and called 9-1-1; waiting with the victims until the ambulance and police arrived. During his trial there was a lot of "confidential" information between him and his VA doctor that was not allowed. In other words, his defense was PTS but his attorney was not allowed to present the evidence supporting this diagnosis. The young man was very, very sick. He thought he was back in Iraq, under attack when he fired his weapon. Sad, sad situation, not only for the victims and their family but for the Marine and his family...and friends. Talk about being "torn"; I had a very, very difficult time with this but the ministers of our church helped us all tremendously. He was sentenced to death and is now in prison waiting the results of his appeal.
Now...while this was going on, my son-in-law, age 28, had been hospitalized off and on for a little over a year. Ten days after the shooting, HE passed away. My precious baby girl was a widow and alone at age 26.
Fast forward a year...and a week; the son-in-law of my cousin (also a young man in his late 20's) was killed in a work related accident. He and his wife were the parents of a 3 year old little girl. Another young widow in our family. We just (yesterday) observed the first anniversay of that death.
As I type this I'm thinking..."your fellow Disboarders are going to think you're making this all up". The sad, sad fact is ...I'm not. The past few years of our life have been pure hell. We could not have made it through without the support of our family/friends and our 2 adorable granddaughters. And for me...Disboards! That may sound shallow but, Disboards is my "escape". I spend time here every day/night...sometime for 10 minutes; sometime for 2 hours. I have to think of nothing sad (except the fact that a trip to Disney for this year isn't going to happen! Damn economy!!!); I can help "1st timers", answering their questions and giving (for what it's worth!) advice; I get to enjoy beautiful pictures, not only from DW but from across our beautiful nation; I received advice from other Disboarders on how to "handle" the first wedding anniversary with DD after SIL passed away; I was able to tell others of a special "Magical Moment" when DD went back to DW with us for the first time after her husbands death-they had honeymooned there and our arrival date for the trip last year fell on their anniversary date-I told the CM as we checked in the "meaning" of the date and, bless her precious heart, she sent cupcakes to our room with a wish for a "Magical Stay";I get to play silly games (driving some Disboarders crazy! :headache:); I get to dream of our next trip.
Your life will never be the same; I often long for "the good old days" when our family/friends saw good times. But, something I've said probably a thousand times, "God never gives you more than you can handle". Remember that always. :tink:

This is such a totally tragic story, from beginning to end. God bless each and every one of you.:grouphug:

I am sorry for your loss. I started reading this thread then noticed the date of your original post 7-17-09.

I lost my son on 7-15-09. He was 29 and I still cry almost everyday, losing a child is the hardest thing in the world. I still have some bad days, yesterday was one of those, since it was the anniversary of the last trip we took to WDW as a family. DH, myself, my DS:littleangel: and his wife on 3-24-09 to 3-31-09. I said a bad day, it will be a bad week, just as last year was, the memories come flooding back and then the tears.

DH and I have a trip planned for this October to go to WDW, the first one since losing our DS :littleangel:.It will be hard at times, I know this because of all the memories from going to WDW as a family but it is just something we have to do. I feel my DS :littleangel: would have wanted us to go back since it was his favorite place in the world.

I wonder how you are copeing, almost 2 years after? I have come to realize the pain will be with me forever and there is nothing I can do other than to reach out to others who understand the sorrow of the loss of a child :hug:

Teresa, don't feel ashamed. We all are dealing with what life handed us. Please feel free if you would like to start a thread. The power of prayer, and caring here, is absolutely amazing. It was what helped me so much. :hug:

This is such a totally tragic story, from beginning to end. God bless each and every one of you.:grouphug:

Thank you. We've learned to "roll with the punches"; at times just being "numb" is all we can do. But then those DGD's come in the back door and yell, "Mimi!!!!!!!!" and no matter what my mood is, it turns to joy just looking at those smiling faces. When they're older I'll be able to tell them how much they helped ALL of us "live" again after the death of their uncle.

I signed in this morning to add one more thing about "our Marine". His actions were a shock to our entire small community. Many people, upon learning about that tragedy expressed their feelings in one word, "What???". If I were to have picked one person, among the probably 200+ young people I worked with during those years, he would have been in the "bottom 3" to have done such a horrible thing. He was/is a very caring, loving, God loving young man who, for a brief time, snapped. Those who were called to testify at his trial included my daughter, husband (who is an elected county official), high school teachers, high school principal, his 4-H leaders and both ministers from our church. They all did so willingly with many of them asking to testify to show their support. "War is hell"; while necessary at times, that statement is so true. My hope is for those of you reading this to reach out to veterans; love them, pray for them and let them know they have your support. It's been 18 months since I've seen him but we write each other regularly. He's doing well and is eager to hear about "life on the outside". He and my daughter supported one another via mail and visits and continue to do so. They were good friends in high school and remain so and his mother and I meet often for lunch and support. Friends:lovestruc...thank God! :tink:

We are here morning, noon, and night for support. This brought me to tears thinking about my mothers sudden passing as well when I was 11. I am not 21 and still think about it everyday. I learned that you need to celebrate their life. My wedding is coming up and we are going to just that, celebrate :)

I have been reading and cannot ever imagine the pain that everyone feels as I have not lost a loved one so quickly or so young. But my heart goes out to each and everyone of you.

The reason I am writing now is to bring everyone's attention to bullying. This past week 2 young kids who did not know of each other took their lives. One was a beautiful young girl at the age of 14 the other is of a 16 year old boy who hung himself. There are going to be 2 seperate funerals this coming Saturday for them both. I cried for them both even though I do not know either of them. I have a daughter who is going to be 14 next month and was bullied 2 years ago and I am so happy that she was able to tell me. After going to the school they could not do anything besides talk to the bullies. As a mother this was very frustrating. As I was bullied and beat up by 4 girls in grade 7 and then almost losing my cousin to a bully this hit home.

I am reaching out to you all that if you see/hear or know of bullying that you do not turn a blind eye. Children need our help and they are to young to know where to go for this.

As I write this I cry for the children that feel there is no way out and ending their lives is the only way to be free of this grief they are feeling.

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a loved one by bullying, murder or accidental death. Life will go on and even though memories are all you may have, hold that close to your heart and charish all the times you spent with that special someone.

:hug: Shawna

I simply can't imagine what it would be like to lose my son. He is 10 and is my entire world. Many can't understand how it is we have such a close relationship and the story behind it is actually long and painful to tell. Suffice to say that at times something incredibly good can come from something incredibly bad.

I know you miss your son, but if you believe in God know that he is in a better place and is looking down and watching over you every moment of your life. I am sure he would want you to move on with your life as hard as that is. Try to live your life and honor his memory in the things you do every day. I'm sure he would like that.

Take care.

God bless.

God Bless all of you. My dad just passed away from Cancer 3 months ago, and my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor as well just 2 years earlier. She is doing well, but it really stirs up a lot of emotions to see how many caring people, are also going through the same thing.

So much love to you all. I am so thankful that we live in a day and age where distance is no problem to share love and compassion.

Love you all-god bless.

I understand how you feel. I lost my daughter when she was only 14 and the pain seemed unbearable. She was every Dad's Dtr. It was so bad that I would pull off on the side of the road on my way to work and cry. For five years I visited her grave site every day and said a prayer. I am now starting to realize that she's O.K. and in a better place. When my time comes, She will be the first one to greet me. I pray that in time you will feel the same about your son. You will never be over the pain but be grateful you had him as long as you did and one day you will be to- gether.

I too understand your loss. We lost our 25 month old son March 23, 2010. He was perfectly healthy and perfect in every way. I had gone in to his room during the night b/c he was crying and when my husband came in to tell us bye, Brandon was already gone. He had been gone a while. The autopsy said bronchitis but our ped. doesn't believe that is what happened. He thinks there was an electrical issue with his heart, something that couldn't have been predicted or prevented. I know how hard this is and I just try to remember that he is with Jesus and that we will see him again. I also believe God spared us a more horrific scenario because he looked peaceful and I never heard anything. I will pray for you and please hold on and know that you can see him again.

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. I hope you will join support groups and find some comfort in them. I hope you will find the strength. :grouphug:

Hi Stacy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I really don't know how I came across this thread but I'm glad I ended up here. Hope things are getting better. YOU DESERVE THE BEST FROM LIFE. Try doing things your son would love to do, that should keep his memory at best. I KNOW he's watching you up from heaven and smiling. Sending you lots of positive thoughts :goodvibes and :grouphug: hugs.

Thinking of my nephew Damien and my niece Stacy on this day. Hugs to all the families who have lost a son or daughter. Damien we miss you.
Aunt Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter