Dear, departed WDW restaurants ...

Dreamfinder2

DIS Veteran
I got to thinking this afternoon about restaurants at WDW that, over the years, had some really special memories attached and are no longer with us.

Specifically, I was remembering the Gulf Coast Room at the Contemporary - our first meal as husband and wife, and a to-die-for slab of prime rib.

How about the Empress Room on the Empress Lily? At the time, it was the most elegant place I'd ever been; we ate there on an anniversary, and to this day that was the best service I've ever received at a WDW restaurant.

Or - and here's a dark horse - anyone ever try the Lake Buena Vista Club? Back when, this was almost like a country club, and their signature restaurant was cool, elegant, and I recall our waiter getting a tableside workout with a REAL Caesar salad and a peppercorn-crusted filet, also prepared tableside.

Anyone out there care to wax nostalgic?

I too remember the Empress room and the LBV Club. When the Empress Lilly switched to Fulton's they lost my DW forever(and me too except I would love to go there for crab:D ) Before it was Ohana, that area was the Papete Bay Verandah. There was also a Sunday brunch in the Contemporary which was very cool.

We ate at the Tangora Terrace on the last night of our honeymoon, during a hurricane. It was pretty good if I remember right, and of course, it has sentimental value to me too. I miss it, but after eating at Kona, I dont think I could choose anywhere else at the Poly over the Kona. ;)

but I liked Le Cellier better when it was cafeteria style!:o I can get a good steak dinner many places throughout WDW. What I miss is the nice, quiet, yet tastefully decorated retreat for an inexpensive lunch that Le Cellier used to be. They had the cheese soup back then, really good macaroni & cheese, and deliciously light and crusty rolls. The best part was I could get all that without a PS:rolleyes:

Back before they had a Sunday Brunch at the Contemporary they had a daily breakfast buffet at the "Top of the World" that was always a favorite in our family... That was back when dinner up there was a Broadway Style Dinner Show!

Our family's favorite resort is POFQ and our stays there just have not been the same since Bonfamille's closed. We had breakfast and dinner there at least once a trip. The food was great but the inside was pretty and had a little romance to it.

Now we walk over to Boatwright's, but it's not the same. I think I will always miss Bonfamille's.

Other than that one, none that have left have had the same place in my heart (or stomach!)

I, too, miss that breakfast buffet (thought it was just Sunday) at the Top of the World. Also, I liked Crystal Palace when it was cafeteria style, the nice resturaunt at the Disney Inn (now Shades of Green), the Melvin the Moose breakfast at Fort Wilderness, and Bonfamile's breakfast.

Ok, it was only a counter service restaurant but I miss the Odyssey restaurant that was located between Future World and World Showcase in Epcot. I don't remember anything special about the food but I liked sitting outside overlooking the water. Got some good memories from there. They still use it for special events I guess, and it's a nice quiet cool place to use the restrooms and make a phone call.

Fireworks Factory at PI . . . DH and I ate there in 97 before he was my DH and had the best time. Supposedly an unusual view from the men's room. Great cornbread and good ribs too!
Never got to try Bonfamille's :(

I miss the Adventureland Veranda. It is so sad to see it sitting there, deserted...forgotten:( We ate there on our 1st trip, but I think the name was different, even then.

Of course King Stefan's is now Cinderella's... never did understand why Aurora's Dad would want a restaurant in Cinderella's Castle!:confused:

Remember when Le Cellier was a cafeteria style restaurant? Glad they changed that!:D

How about the Land Grille Restaurant, where the Garden Grille is now? It wasn't a character meal then! The character meal was located at the Living Seas at the Coral Seas.

The Odyssey Restaurant in Epcot. Hopefully it will find its way back, but now it is used for CM training purposes.

Cafeteria of the Stars at MGM was always a good spot, now gone!:( And the Soundstage Restaurant and Catwalk Bar now belong to a Bear and his friends!:(

Broadway at the Top was a great show on the top floor of the Contemporary, near where California Grille is today. There also was a different restaurant where California Grille is today, Top of the World, I think was the name!

The Pepete Bay Veranda at the Poly... I liked the old set up, with the bar separating the restaurant from the lounge, and the lounge was much bigger than it is now that it is 'Ohana, and had a great view of Bay Lake, the pool and the Seven Seas Lagoon. That is where I had my 1st tropical drink... the drinking age in Florida at the time was 19!

The Empress Lilly is now owned by a chain restaurant and is renamed Fulton's. Gone are the character meals, and in its place is fresh seafood.

Chef Mickey's used to be located near where the Rainforest Cafe is at DTD, but is now, as we know, at the Contemporary.

Rest in Peace, Bonfamille's Cafe at Port Orleans-French Quarter. Oh, how we'll miss ya!

Captain Jack's Oyster Bar is now Captain Jack's Restaurant, and no longer serves shellfish.:(

Coral Isle Cafe is gone at the Poly.

The Fireworks Factory "exploded" into oblivian, and is no longer at Pleasure Island.

What was once known as Flaglers at the Grand Floridian, and was known for its Italian food and singing wait staff, is now Citricos. So much for keeping the name of Henry Flagler alive.

Season's Dining Room went the way of the Disney Institute--bye bye.

The Yacht Club Galley closed last year, much to the disappointment of many guests. No word on when or if it will ever open, much like the sister restaurant in the Beach Club by the name of Ariel's, that still sits there lonely and desolate.

As of right now, they are all that I can remember.

eeyore0062... You will be happy to know that the Yacht Club Gallery is now re-open and there is talk of opening Ariels.

Can anyone help me with my senior moment? There were three restaurants on the Empress Lily ... in addition to the Empress Room, there was one that was mostly seafood and the other meat - something like the Steerman's Quarters, perhaps.

And the restaurants that over the years have occupied the area on the Grand Canyon concourse at the CR? Drawing a blank here.

Oh, yeah - Ariel's at the Beach Club. Never ate there, but it was gorgeous.

The ones I miss the most are Bonfamille's at Port Orleans. I loved breakfast there. Still havn't found a replacement for it in terms of favorite resort breakfast (although Kona Cafe might eventually try to fill it). I also liked the Soundstage at MGM, especially when it was counter service, that way you could just get a drink and see some of the characters at the same time. I met Beauty and the Beast for the first time that way :cool:, and also Chef Mickey's at the Marketplace. I thought it looked better there then at the Contemporary (although I'm sure the characters play second-fiddle to the atmosphere now that at the Contemporary it's only character dining.

My heart aches to write these down, but here goes:
Papette Bay Verandah (missed the most). Combo and hula dancer quietly entertained, great stuff!! Seven Seas cocktail. Pigs n' Prawns entree--
Ariels
Empress Room, Fishermans Deck, Steermans Quarters (all on the Empress Lilly)
Seasons at Disney Institute (they used to have various "nites" there--ie, New Orleans nite, Northwest nite, etc)
Sum Chows
Harry's Safari
Tangarora Terrace (esp. for breakfast)
Bonfamilles
Fireworks factory
The "old" Chef Mickeys (where the Rainforest is now)
The Supper Club at the Contemporary(before the Broadway at the Top). We saw Billy Eckstein there and I heard some other top stars also appeared (Rosemary Cloony, etc).
Crockett's Tavern (when they had table service).
That restaurant at Shades of green (can't recall the name-we used to eat there when we stayed at the Poly).
And one more--wasn't there a place with the name ''Pompano" in it ?? My memory seems to recall we ate breakfast at such a place once , but for the life of me I can't remember where (or IF) it was!!

TerryS, thanks for the info on Yacht Club Galley, I was hoping that was just a temporary closure. Now, if they would just reopen Ariels. It makes me sad to walk by there when going to Cape May, and I had always wanted to try it!

Ah, memories...we, too, miss:
Tangaroa Terrace for breafast- they served Tonga, toast, too before it became a buffet.
Tangaroa terrace where the game room is now- a snack bar but it had decent pizza-the best we've found at WDW other than the great flatbreads at CG,MM, Jiko.
Trophy Room at the Golf Resort aka SOG- I remember a special Mother's Day brunch here and dinners were quiet and good
Top of the World for both the daily buffet as well as the Sunday Brunch
Papeete Bay Verandah for a wonderful breakfast buffet as well as good dinners watching the Castle
LBVC for good dinners in a relaxed setting
Steerman's Quarters
Fisherman's Deck
Verandah Restaurant at the Village
Village Restaurant before it became Chef Mickey's
Places we enjoyed character meals with our children but I can't say I exactly miss include:
Terrace Cafe...now known as Chef Mickey's
South Seas Dining Room- where the art gallery is now at the Poly

Dreamfinder 2, we never made it to Ariel's either :( .
The oldest Birnbaum I can find, 1985, lists the following restaurants on the Grand Canyon Concourse:
Terrace Buffeteria- B,D,S
Terrace Cafe- B,L,D
Pueblo Room- B,L,D
Outer Rim-D

When Eeyore0062 mentioned The Land Grille I remembered "The Good Turn" when it was sponsored by Kraft, and they had many dishes with cheese as a prime ingredient.

Also Uncleromulus wasn't it the Pompano Grill? I don't think we ate there but that's the name that came to me when I saw your post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter