Dear, departed WDW restaurants ...

I too miss the Garden Grille when it wasn't a Character Meal. Our family doesn't do all you can eat, so we don't get to go there anymore. I liked the atmosphere of that restaurant!!!

Nice thread. I remember all these restaurants. I too miss The Land Grille Room at the Land, loved the cheese bread and those oh-so-comfy booths. Bonnie, I too miss Oydessey!! They had a wonderful salad that I enjoyed at lunch. I can remember when my kids were very little the characters use to entertain at lunch time. Although I enjoy Kona at the Poly, I miss the old Coral Isle Cafe and the great Chicken Midori sandwich. The chef made it for me once or twice after they stopped having it on the menu, but no more. I also miss Tangaroa Terrace, the "old" Chef Mickey's ( I still have a bunch of old mugs from there), the "old" Contemporary Cafe when there were no chsracters, and I know this is a recent closing, but my kids miss Pizza, Pasta and More at Epcot. Oh well, time to move on!! LOL!!

We used to really enjoy going to both the Papeete Bay Verandah and the Tangaroa Terrace.. I can remember many a nice family meal back at both restaurants when I used to vacation at WDW with my parents... I also miss the Old Chef Mickey's at DTD... The new one is nice and we have enjoyed it with my son, but I remember going to the old Chef Mickey's on my honeymoon..

Speaking of old restaurants, does anyone recall when they actually used to serve you butter pats in the shape of the the Disney World symbol, or a little Mickey Mouse figure....? Those little niceties are long gone as well....

Ah the good old days... This thread has brought back quite a few memories....

Don't they still do that to the butter pats? I think they still have them at CRT for instance?? I'm enjoying the memories , too, sgtdisney. Now you have a third generation making memories in your family!

The "original" Chef Mickey's from the Marketplace. This was one of the best meals we every had on our honeymoon. And now I think it is a not so good buffet.

Tangora Terrace, we kinda stumbled on this place while on our honeymoon. Was so refreshing after eating one too many character meals. Then searching desperately for it on our next trip only to find out it had closed.

Originally posted by BCV23
Don't they still do that to the butter pats? I think they still have them at CRT for instance?? I'm enjoying the memories , too, sgtdisney. Now you have a third generation making memories in your family!

They may still have them at selected restaurants BCV23, I just don't recall seeing them in the restaurants I have been to in the last few years.....

Top of the World in the Contemporary! The breakfast buffet was the best I have seen before or since! On the last day of our trips when I was a kid we went there for breakfast so we could get a beautiful view of the MK during breakfast. We'd talk about all the fun we had and what we had planned for the next trip. Then we would go out on the observation deck and take some pictures. I remember looking way off into the distance and seeing the Geosphere half built! We just couldn't wait to go the next year to see the brand new EPCOT. What memories!

Thanks so much for the nostalgic wallow! That Pompano Grill sure does ring a bell, but for the life of me I can't place it anywhere. Once upon a time our last stop before heading home was the Tangaroa Terrace, no matter where we were staying. They didn't call it Tonga Toast back then, but it's still one of the best breakfast confections ever. And I'd completely forgotten about the old South Seas Dining Room. I also remember Trail's End having a make-your-own pizza deal each evening, with live music. I rember the Top of the World having a world-class salad bar, too.

This might be better offered as a new thread, but can you think of any current restaurants who's days might be numbered? I'm sorta concerned about Citrico's ... I hear over and over that the crowds are way down, and I know there's a couple of nights a week that they don't serve. Once, DW wasn't pleased with her entree, and not only did our server bring her something else, we weren't charged for either entree. What a class act!

Dreamfinder2:
I seem to remember (now that the name has been confirmed) that the Pompano Grill used to be at the WDW Village complex(?). Exactly where I can't recall---.
And add Palio as a place likely for extinction someday...

The "old" Crystal Palace......a wonderful selection of food...and the first place we had ever seen a "wrap" sandwich-back in 1990.

Ta-daah! Uncleromulus, I'm just about certain that the Lake Buena Vista Club's name was changed somewhere along the line to the Pompano Grill. Thanks for the memory jog.

Never did really understand what happened to the Adventureland Verandah. It always seemed comfortably filled. Oh, well. Time to quit bumping my own post.

Minnie Mouse had a restaurant in DD, back when it was the Village Marketplace or whatever they called it. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but my mom, sister, aunt, and I had a really fun lunch there one day. It was a full service place, but I think we all had sandwiches, so it wasn't really fine dining. It was very good, though, and had great service. In fact, after my mom had eaten half of her sandwich, she realized that they hadn't made it the way she requested. The waitress overheard and brought another one made correctly and didn't charge for either.

Never cou!ld understand why they closed Ariel's. Excellent food, service, atmosphere and wait staff!!! We miss it!

Oh man does this thread bring back the memories. Espicially since just last night I started going through and organizing my boxes and boxes full of old pictures. Talk about memories.

I LOVED the Empress Room and Steerman's Quarters. Way back when we could do (okay, afford...LOL) an all-inclusive type of program that included 3 meals a day. Gold Key or something it was called. Boy did we eat like pigs. We'd go to those two places every time and have steak and lobster.

Also, I remember fondly Coral Isle Cafe, Paapatee Bay Veranda, and Tonga Terrace. I remember at one of them they had this awsome and yummy strawberry type drink for breakfast and some yummy dip for my coconut slices.

There was a super-fancy restaurant at the Contemp. It was in the middle of nowhere really, near an escalator. I can't think of the name of it, but I remember strolling musicians. I had duck there once.

We too ate at the LBV club. I remember getting a rose there once when we got there, from the waiter. Also fancy.

And the restaurant at the old Gulf Club (Disney Inn) had the best fried ice cream. The Trophy Room, I believe.

What neat memories. I can't wait to finish going through my pictures and re-living all these memories. I also can't wait to start taking my son in a year or two and start making new memories.

I also really miss the breakfast at The Garden Grill in The Land pavillion at Epcot. I know the restaurant is still open, but they aren't serving breakfast. It was our very favorite breakfast in all of WDW! Great food and a really laid-back, relaxed atmosphere for a character breakfast.

We loved that breakfast drink at the Poly, too...they were called Pink Leilanis. For a while they would still make them for us at Kona Cafe after it was no longer on the menu but alas no longer. We used to do the Gold key Plan, too. It was great!

We always loved getting breakfast at the Hollywood & Vine in MGM.

You can still get breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. We ate there on our last trip. It's one of our favorite character meals. The food is wonderful and the atmosphere is a littel quieter than some. Love that chocolate french toast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter