• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Determined to make the most of this weekend!

We arrive on Friday for a week... We have our rain jackets and determined to have an awesome time... My biggest question is we have the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour on Monday and wondering if I should cancel that so we get a full refund since we are still within the full refund period...
My suggestion is yes. Parks may close. Even if they don’t the chance of storms shutting down many rides is high. Too expensive a tour to take a chance.

My other concerns were what does Disney do with the severe winds? Are rides shut down?

If the winds are strong enough, yes. Also, no fireworks shows. If they are expecting a direct hit by a reasonably powerful hurricane, they will close the parks.

If the winds are strong enough, yes. Also, no fireworks shows. If they are expecting a direct hit by a reasonably powerful hurricane, they will close the parks.

When do they close the parks?
Say the storm is expected to hit Sunday night, do they just close all day Sunday. Or do they open for a bit in the morning and close early?

if it's Sunday night, they could close Monday, or Sunday afternoon to allow for preparations, such as covering stuff and tying down outdoor kiosks. For Matthew they closed at 2 or 3 the day before it was supposed to make landfall. but they will need to have more certainty about Dorian's path to make a decision.

OMG!! i found my people! Trip dates are exact to OP - fly in Friday evening & out Monday night! ugh I'm gonna need your positivity to keep me sane!

Just know there are some on this thread not on board our optimistic little boat lol.

I am fully prepared to get stuck past Monday's original departure date - I texted my Mom (who's also coming) and she was like "So what? We'll do an extra park day." I thought for sure she was going to suggest cancelling so her positive attitude is making me feel a lot better.

We are flying in on Thursday and out on Monday. :-) Hopefully. We are not canceling anything and will just take things as they come. It will all work out one way or the other.

Just know there are some on this thread not on board our optimistic little boat lol.

I am fully prepared to get stuck past Monday's original departure date - I texted my Mom (who's also coming) and she was like "So what? We'll do an extra park day." I thought for sure she was going to suggest cancelling so her positive attitude is making me feel a lot better.
Yup I know that feeling!! I'm going with my best friend and we are both APs. So if we have to stay another day it's not too bad for us - we can hopefully still hit the parks!

Is anyone changing their packing list now?

I'll need to add some extra rain gear. Extra shoes. What else?

Might have to add a bottle of rum in my bag in case we are stuck in the room. pirate:

I literally just placed a Prime Now order to arrive this afternoon since we leave in the am. I got disposable ponchos, some snacks (beef jerky, crackers, fruit snacks, etc. that will double as plane snacks), etc. I already have an external battery pack. Probably bringing some sort of cards or card game. I have no idea what to expect but I know I want to be somewhat prepared.

I literally just placed a Prime Now order to arrive this afternoon since we leave in the am. I got disposable ponchos, some snacks (beef jerky, crackers, fruit snacks, etc. that will double as plane snacks), etc. I already have an external battery pack. Probably bringing some sort of cards or card game. I have no idea what to expect but I know I want to be somewhat prepared.

An Extra battery pack is a great idea! I have the fuel rods for our cell phones, but if we can't get to exchange them for some reason, better to have an extra.

I ordered last night a pair of walking sandals - Teva Tirra Sandals

I also am bringing probably 2 pairs of sneakers - wear one of the plane and one in my suitcase.

Also bringing a rain jacket and poncho!

Hooray for optimists!!!!!!!! If the sky is falling people could stay away until we know better what will happen that would be great!!!!

We fly in very early Friday and a late flight out on Tuesday. I’m mentally prepared to be there an extra day (SW isn’t allowing free Tuesday flight changes just yet). I just hope I can keep my same CSR room!

I’m completely rethinking what to pack (including long rain coats, not ponchos). And newspaper to stuff shoes to help dry quicker. And a flashlight with extra batteries.

I really hope to get to be in the parks through late Sunday (we can cram a lot in!) I’m mentally prepared to hunker down Monday and hope the parks reopen at some point Tuesday. It’s our first time there for a Hurricane (we were here for a depression in 2013 and the day after Wilma in 2005).

Next Question:

We didn't get Park Hoppers.
If we lose a day at the parks, can I add a hopper after I'm already there? Do I just go to guest services? Can I just add it for a single day or the remainder of the trip?

Next Question:

If we lose a day at the parks, can I add a hopper after I'm already there? Do I just go to guest services? Can I just add it for a single day or the remainder of the trip?

You can add hopper privileges, but you will be adding it to your original ticket, paying as if you had purchased a hopper to begin with. You can’t add it just for the remaining days and you can’t just add it to one day. Even if you’re 2 days in to a 5 day ticket, if you add the hopper, you’re paying as if you had hoppers the whole time.

Is anyone changing their packing list now?

I'll need to add some extra rain gear. Extra shoes. What else?

Might have to add a bottle of rum in my bag in case we are stuck in the room. pirate:
Disney has generator, I assume. But it doesn't hurt to take a flashlight or back up ways to charge your phone/electronics.

Also, as a precaution, make sure you have cash. If there are power issues, ATM's and CC machines might be tough to come by. If you are renting a car, make sure you gas it up.

Next Question:

In addition to my previous post, I also want to note that what I described is on a normal day. When hurricane Irma hit and we left early, we were refunded for the days we did not use on our tickets. Not everyone experienced this.

If the park was closed and you spoke to guest services, MAYBE they would make an exception and let you add hopping privileges for just the remainder of your trip. That would not be typical procedure, though and they make decisions like that on a case by case basis depending on who you talk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter