DH raided HD for paint cans! See post 15 for photo

Thanks Nancy. Yes, that was very clear.

I know what you mean about a visual learner. When I follow a pattern I always use the diagrams or the pics. My students are mostly using the word directions, and we always laugh as they are pointing to the "step" they are on, and I'm pointing at the diagram pic...makes for some fun classes though...

Thanks again, I think I get it now. I'll post pics when I get some done. One friend is a gardener, one is a butterfly lover who is very religious, one is a teddy bear lover, and DH fishes...I'm all set for ideas, just had no idea how to make it all stick right.

Thanks Buffy for the Altered can class with diagram. Very clear for us visual learners. And Love the idea of the "Made for you by____ " stickers AWM! You guys are the BEST!!! :teeth:

Thanks for the praise. Sometimes is it just so nice to be appreciated. Having an invisible mommy day here.

Anyway, I used the "Made by" labels for my cans because some of them have a "Modified by" label on them. I wanted to be sure I didn't credit for the cans I didn't make by myself. I had some great cans from the swap that I used for gift card holders. I just added a few details; ribbon here, tag there, sticker and rub-ons over there. I need to take a photo of the Chip'n'Dale can that I got from B&MB. I used some of the elements of rlovew's good'vs'evil swap on the can and it turned out so great. Like they were made for each other.
I also made a Tink can and a Marine can from scratch yesterday.
Need to figure out how to post pictures to show you all.

AlexWyattMommy said:
Thanks for the praise. Sometimes is it just so nice to be appreciated. Having an invisible mommy day here.
I have those days often... :( I get very upset on those days... I hope it gets better...

AlexWyattMommy said:

Awwwwwww, don't you just hate that! They appreciate you, they just don't know it... :rotfl2: Go on strike for a few days, or charge for your services... that'll show them...

I had another "Mommy Rant" this morning...I was ANYTHING BUT invisible...but my kid is now planning his studing for the day, so I guess it had the effect I was looking for... :thumbsup2 and the Christmas wreaths come down from the attic...go figure... :confused3

Went to price the cans today at Lowe's. GEEZ LOUISE! :eek: I was ready to ask if they were 24K gold underneath. They wanted $4.63- I think-for the gallon ones and $2.98 for the quart. UMMM no, I am so not paying that for an empty paint can. :sad2: I hit the True Value store nearby and what a differnce in price. $1.79 for the gallon and 99 cents for the quart. I got one of each so I can figure out the sizes for what I need. Plus True Value had tons of each and the key was free. Lowe's only had like 5 quart ones and wouldnt discount those that didnt have lids. :confused3 I think I will do the quart for my hillbilly one for my dad (the BF wants me to make one for his dad too) and the gallon for my mom so I can stuff a bigger Teddy in it to fill it up.

xyzabc33 said:
Went to price the cans today at Lowe's. GEEZ LOUISE! :eek: I was ready to ask if they were 24K gold underneath. They wanted $4.63- I think-for the gallon ones and $2.98 for the quart. UMMM no, I am so not paying that for an empty paint can. :sad2: I hit the True Value store nearby and what a differnce in price. $1.79 for the gallon and 99 cents for the quart. I got one of each so I can figure out the sizes for what I need. Plus True Value had tons of each and the key was free. Lowe's only had like 5 quart ones and wouldnt discount those that didnt have lids. :confused3 I think I will do the quart for my hillbilly one for my dad (the BF wants me to make one for his dad too) and the gallon for my mom so I can stuff a bigger Teddy in it to fill it up.
Yep, Lowe's pricing for those are pretty bad, yep, you'd think they'd come w/ money inside them besides the 24K gold! WE have True Value up this way, so I'll have to check them out next weekend!! I hadn't even thought about them.. Thanks for the heads up!! :)

I gave the DH a "wife rant" today.. He didn't think it was necessary to call and let me know that the game that was suppose to start at 1pm started at 12p.. so when I got there it was 1/2 over.. Hello? Could have stayed home and done something and saved gas... Than had SS NOT tell his dad their was a change in times so SS was late for the first game... Needless to say.. I ranted about that too! Hello?? NO car, no license YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON!

FYI the second sheet of paper should overlap on both sides of the can by about 1/2 an inch or so.

Lowes is bad, check Home Depot.

ETA I'm going out to get a tree, if you need me I'll be back tonight.

DH came home with 2 gallon and 3 quart, and 5 keys from Home Depot...cost was about $13. But I had to tell him the "project" before he would go to the store, so his will be filled with coal :rotfl2:

ok, with all the talk about the paint cans I decided to jump in and give it a try. but i have a few questions.......

1. what the heck is the key? i bought the quart size ones. do they have keys??? were they to come with the can?????

2. what size paper am i using???? does anyone have the dimensions?????

3. what else besides give cards has eveyone been putting in theirs???

i feel pretty brain dead this am.

thanks everyone!

party of 3 said:
ok, with all the talk about the paint cans I decided to jump in and give it a try. but i have a few questions.......

1. what the heck is the key? i bought the quart size ones. do they have keys??? were they to come with the can?????

2. what size paper am i using???? does anyone have the dimensions?????

3. what else besides give cards has eveyone been putting in theirs???

i feel pretty brain dead this am.

thanks everyone!

1. The key is a paint can opener. It is a carded thing, and Dh said they are around the paint cans, were hanging down on a hanger card display thing (this making any sense?). You could ask the paint mixer there I guess if you don't see them.

2. Buffy has a good class for the gallon can earlier in the thread. I'll have to make my own measurments for the quart ones, but the general rule it seems is to use 2 sheets, and overlap by at least 1/2"...that right guys?

3. The one for my friend that likes the bears will have a bag of kisses, and the tulip punch that she has been wanting and hasn't been able to find anywhere. I was able to score one on eBay. The gardening friend will have a gift card for lunch (with me of course :teeth: ) and some note cards with botanicals. My butterfly/religious friend will get the crystal cross that I'm making her, and a bag of kisses. And DH was going to get fishing lures in his, but, as stated before, he is now getting coal :rotfl2: Well, maybe I'll put a few lures in there and some tools in there too, since I already have them.

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing today and tomorrow :teeth:

When I made my quart ones, I used 1 sheet of 12 x 12 paper, cut down to almost fit in height. The 12 inches is a little short, so I used anohter sheet of cardstock as a "label" to fill the difference. I also used another piece of cardstock to fill in the top (about 1 inch). I then embellished the edges. I posted pictures of mine earlier in the thread. Ariel. Hope that helps. :)

Hmmmmm, no way to attach the key to the quart cans...do you just give it separately? :confused3

My quart cans are going to little ones... so I'm only sitting the lids on their cans..so they can just pull them off... I hadn't even thought about that.. Maybe you could tie them on a string... put the string 1/2 in the can.. close the lid, making sure the key is on the outside of the can (don't want a blonde moment realizing you put the key in the closed can) and than it's up to them what to do with the key when they open it!

I tried really thin ribbon, and the can closed. Think tape the ribbon inside, or use floral goop? not sure what will stick, the inside has a coating...

I put double sided tape on the inside of the can near the top and stuck the ribbon to it or you could attach the ribbon with tape to the inside of the lid.

I had dimensions to the quart cans for the paper I'll have to see if I can find them.

BernardandMissBianca said:
I had dimensions to the quart cans for the paper I'll have to see if I can find them.

Thank you , that would be a help big time...hopefully mine come out ok..ehh they are going to relatives that dont care and think I am sooooo creative anyway so I get to practice on them... :rolleyes1

When I made these last Easter, I painted a wooden knob to coordinate, had DH drill a hole through the lid, and screwed the knob on from the bottom. Very handy that way!

Definitely need to whip up some of these for the in-laws for Christmas!

AlexWyattMommy said:
How big is the bar code? Could you put an address label over it cover it? You could print out "Made by **** Christmas 2006" on the label. Or split it into two labels if you need to cover that much.

If you have a Disney freak on your list, put hidden Mickeys in the paper you use to cover the bottom.

I'm just checking back in today -thanks for the suggestion! The barcodes are ridiculously big, but I have labels that would cover them.

By the way, except for all of you guys, I am the only Disney freak I know. Everyone else thinks I'm nuts!! :teeth:

And thanks for everyone who gave suggestions about the keys - I was wondering about that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter