Direct or a Combination?

odouglass

New DVC Member
Hi!

We’re looking into buying into DVC for the first time and exploring a few options. We’ve decided that we do want to buy some direct VGF points, but trying to decide on the amount of points. Here are our options:

200 direct VGF
or
150 direct VGF and buying a smaller 50-100 contract resale SSR

The price per point at 175 VGF direct with the current incentives is not as good as 150 or 200.

We’re also trying to decide on use years. We usually travel in Spring to Disney but also may take some years and do Summer in HH or maybe even Hawaii. December UY? We’d like to sell 2022 points under MB and keep our 2023 points.

Thank you!!

175 direct + 190 resale

in my humble opinion...use year means nothing. It is just an arbitrary point in time when your points reload / bank borrow against. once you get set up, it doesn't matter as you fall into a pattern. the only consideration regarding use year is to make sure you have all contracts in the same use year.

I would also say resort doesn't matter....as long as you understand what years the resorts "close' and that if you buy resale, you are locked into original DVC and can't stay ar riviera for example and vice versa

175 direct + 190 resale

in my humble opinion...use year means nothing. It is just an arbitrary point in time when your points reload / bank borrow against. once you get set up, it doesn't matter as you fall into a pattern. the only consideration regarding use year is to make sure you have all contracts in the same use year.

I would also say resort doesn't matter....as long as you understand what years the resorts "close' and that if you buy resale, you are locked into original DVC and can't stay ar riviera for example and vice versa
Not taking into account closing costs, here is the breakdown for VGF direct, price per point:

175 points would be $30,040 or $171.65/pt
200 points would be $33,330 or $166.65/or
150 points would be $25,165 or $167.76/pt

With all incentives currently taken into consideration. The price per point of 175 makes me cringe compared to 150/200.

Ok, I just want to ensure I get my UY where I can get 2022 points and sell those via MB.

Hi!

We’re looking into buying into DVC for the first time and exploring a few options. We’ve decided that we do want to buy some direct VGF points, but trying to decide on the amount of points. Here are our options:

200 direct VGF
or
150 direct VGF and buying a smaller 50-100 contract resale SSR

The price per point at 175 VGF direct with the current incentives is not as good as 150 or 200.

We’re also trying to decide on use years. We usually travel in Spring to Disney but also may take some years and do Summer in HH or maybe even Hawaii. December UY? We’d like to sell 2022 points under MB and keep our 2023 points.

Thank you!!
I think it all depends on what you want to do with the points.

If you love VGF and know you always want to stay there when traveling to WDW I would get more VGF direct now.

If you only want VGF direct for instant access to a "blue card" at a decent price I would get the 150 VGF and lowball offers at SSR in the same UY. IDK how easy it will be to find 50 points there. 100+ is probably more likely. They could also be stripped.

UY matters to me. I wouldn't want to travel during the last 3/4 months of mine with banked and borrowed points. Too risky. If I have multiple trips starting in the beginning of my UY I can always push banked or borrowed points to a later trip and ultimately bank my current allotment. I like the safety net. Dec would be good for spring break and May/June/July since it has a 7/31 banking deadline. You could even book August and cancel 31+ days in advance and still bank those points.

I think it all depends on what you want to do with the points.

If you love VGF and know you always want to stay there when traveling to WDW I would get more VGF direct now.

If you only want VGF direct for instant access to a "blue card" at a decent price I would get the 150 VGF and lowball offers at SSR in the same UY. IDK how easy it will be to find 50 points there. 100+ is probably more likely. They could also be stripped.

UY matters to me. I wouldn't want to travel during the last 3/4 months of mine with banked and borrowed points. Too risky. If I have multiple trips starting in the beginning of my UY I can always push banked or borrowed points to a later trip and ultimately bank my current allotment. I like the safety net. Dec would be good for spring break and May/June/July since it has a 7/31 banking deadline. You could even book August and cancel 31+ days in advance and still bank those points.
I am leaning more towards 150 VGF direct for the blue card and then a lowball SSR in the same Use Year, I think. It’s more of just to get the blue card and since VGF is a great deal direct right now.

Thanks for the insight on the use years. I think December would be best for us and our needs.

I am leaning more towards 150 VGF direct for the blue card and then a lowball SSR in the same Use Year, I think. It’s more of just to get the blue card and since VGF is a great deal direct right now.

Thanks for the insight on the use years. I think December would be best for us and our needs.

To add, the resale points won’t be good at RIV, VDH, or any future resorts. Even if you have the direct points, the resale ones will be restricted.

For many, it’s not a big deal but just want to be sure you are aware!

To add, the resale points won’t be good at RIV, VDH, or any future resorts. Even if you have the direct points, the resale ones will be restricted.

For many, it’s not a big deal but just want to be sure you are aware!
That is definitely a concern especially if we have a larger amount of resale and one of the main reasons we are doing direct. Plus, the great point price with direct.

Thank you!!

Mixing resorts is a nice way to get a change and not have things get old....

SSR is a great resort, and the pools are great, but my kids, mostly their mother hate to take the bus everywhere....

It is not currently as easy as it once was to use SSR points at other resorts at 7 months

Waitlists and planning ahead help...

Personally, the discount that Disney is giving away right now I would get the 200 direct, now

Then wait and see if or when you have the add-ons.....

Not being restricted is going to become a huge thing....

Normally I'd say mix but with these incentives I'd probably lean toward doing a 200-250 point direct and consider splitting it into 150/50 or 150/100.

UY doesn't matter.. until it does. Having your UY during the right time gives you that extra insurance in case your trip falls through that you'll still have time to either bank/use the points before the end of the use year. Don't just blow it off. Your ideal use year it sounds like is between Dec, Feb or March, depending on how early in spring you travel. If you tend to go early I'd do a December use year.

Normally I'd say mix but with these incentives I'd probably lean toward doing a 200-250 point direct and consider splitting it into 150/50 or 150/100.

UY doesn't matter.. until it does. Having your UY during the right time gives you that extra insurance in case your trip falls through that you'll still have time to either bank/use the points before the end of the use year. Don't just blow it off. Your ideal use year it sounds like is between Dec, Feb or March, depending on how early in spring you travel. If you tend to go early I'd do a December use year.
Thank you!!! This is great insight. I’ve finally figured out the use year definition. Lol

What is the benefit of doing two 100 point contracts versus one 200 point?

Easier to sell if you had to down the line. Also, to allow you to pass on to others, like children evenly

The only piece right now is that if you do two 100 point contracts and then sell one, you would lose the membership extras as you must maintain 150 for those.

If, when you sold, that minimum is larger, you’d need to reach thst threshold to get them back.

Easier to sell if you had to down the line. Also, to allow you to pass on to others, like children evenly

The only piece right now is that if you do two 100 point contracts and then sell one, you would lose the membership extras as you must maintain 150 for those.

If, when you sold, that minimum is larger, you’d need to reach thst threshold to get them back.
Oh ok!! That makes sense!! Thank you.

The way we chose UY was looking at the least likely time we’d visit. That was summer for us so a Sept or Oct UY looked the best. Our travel is mostly Sept through May.

With a Sept UY, Sept through April is in our banking window should we need to move any of those trips. The May trip we could either cancel more than 30 days out and bank the points, rent out the trip, or try to use those points before Aug 31st expiration.

The way we chose UY was looking at the least likely time we’d visit. That was summer for us so a Sept or Oct UY looked the best. Our travel is mostly Sept through May.

With a Sept UY, Sept through April is in our banking window should we need to move any of those trips. The May trip we could either cancel more than 30 days out and bank the points, rent out the trip, or try to use those points before Aug 31st expiration.
Ah, that helps! I had to take the 11m booking window out of it, and think of it like a “fiscal year” for use purposes. I

Just to note... If you plan on traveling to Aulani (you mentioned HI), I would budget enough to get at least a 1 bedroom. It really makes the trip infinitely better (IMHO) to have the full kitchen and a washer/dryer. Food is very expensive in HI. We find that we cook there more than any other DVC resort save maybe HHI.

Just to note... If you plan on traveling to Aulani (you mentioned HI), I would budget enough to get at least a 1 bedroom. It really makes the trip infinitely better (IMHO) to have the full kitchen and a washer/dryer. Food is very expensive in HI. We find that we cook there more than any other DVC resort save maybe HHI.
Thanks! We definitely will ensure that we'd have enough for at least a 1 bedroom at Aulani. We definitely want to save $ on food, and prefer to cook our own too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter