• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

I was going to post about that too - that first time I saw the flight back from Venice

The only direct over I am seeing is via an Alitalia flight, which has me a bit worried about them being out of business come next March which is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. Are you seeing other direct flights to FCO?

We're flying out Wednesday 3/21
Returning Wednesday 4/4

Flights are Delta #444 & #475

Finally booked our flights and a 3 night pre-stay in Rome. Nothing direct (in my price range) from Boston, but we can deal with one quick stop over. Can't wait! :)

We booked the transfer too. I wonder if they'll put us together or send two cars???

Jason,

Dino just checked and the car seats 3.

Can you cancel your transfer? Then we can go together and you'll only have to pay 1/3 of the cost. We've already prepaid for the car

Jason,

Dino just checked and the car seats 3.

Can you cancel your transfer? Then we can go together and you'll only have to pay 1/3 of the cost. We've already prepaid for the car

Thank you very much! I will check to see if I can cancel the transfer.

Jason

I was going to post about that too - that first time I saw the flight back from Venice

The only direct over I am seeing is via an Alitalia flight, which has me a bit worried about them being out of business come next March which is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. Are you seeing other direct flights to FCO?

The day we were looking at (Thursday the 22nd, overnight to the Friday) the only non-stop flights offered on Delta's site are serviced be Alitalia. If we look the day before there are 2 by Alitalia but actually is one by Delta

I prefer to fly Delta. When I'm booking one of their code-share flights, I always go with the one actually operated by Delta. When we did our ABD Viva Italia trip a couple of years ago, we flew Delta non-stop from JFK to FCO.

I'm looking at these flights as well. I am bummed the flight to Rome is using Alitalia equipment. Does anyone know if they tend to change equipment closer to the time? Would love to actually fly on Delta's equipment. Also, is the company in bad shape? Wondering why mention of them going under?

I am bummed the flight to Rome is using Alitalia equipment. Does anyone know if they tend to change equipment closer to the time?
That's not a normal occurrence. However, we are so far out that if thing happen like Alitalia abandoning that particular route (not likely) then another airline might add a flight.

I notice you said "change equipment" when I believe you meant "change carriers", equipment changes can and do happen. Especially this far out. The airlines are constantly introducing new aircraft or retiring older aircraft. They also adjust the size of aircraft on particular routes depending on typical passenger loads during different seasons.

That's not a normal occurrence. However, we are so far out that if thing happen like Alitalia abandoning that particular route (not likely) then another airline might add a flight.

I notice you said "change equipment" when I believe you meant "change carriers", equipment changes can and do happen. Especially this far out. The airlines are constantly introducing new aircraft or retiring older aircraft. They also adjust the size of aircraft on particular routes depending on typical passenger loads during different seasons.

Yeah, I meant equipment, although carrier would determine that, so I guess, yes carrier from Alitalia to actually Delta. Those Delta planes look so much nicer. I'm just going by recent history, looking at what's offered now and a few months out. I hate to make my decision based on something that may change. But I kind of am, since I'm also looking at the nonstops from PHL>FCO and VCE>PHL. Just not sure how long to wait. My husband thinks air is only going to go up... ugh

I'm looking at these flights as well. I am bummed the flight to Rome is using Alitalia equipment. Does anyone know if they tend to change equipment closer to the time? Would love to actually fly on Delta's equipment. Also, is the company in bad shape? Wondering why mention of them going under?

I contacted Delta to see if a Delta carrier flight would be add for the 22nd as every other day that week has one and they said they don't see anything that would indicate one would be at this point but it could be

As it stands right now, Alitalia is in bad shape financially. They are looking to sell the airline.
Since they are the flagship line for Italy, I doubt they will go under completely.
That being said, I wouldn't plan a future flight on that airline at this time personally

Last edited:
We have a long, long time before this trip. I wouldn't rush to book a flight.

I only began looking when i realized there are nonstops we want to book. The PHL>FCO leg is already available and filling up. Of course, since it's an overnight, we are particular about our seats. But the VCE>PHL nonstop is not even released yet. Just keeping an eye out since we really want to be on the nonstops both ways.

We were down g some research on when is best to book and the feeling is for international, and Italy specifically, a bit longer ahead than domestic and then because this is the week before Easter perhaps a bit earlier than that before a lot of people realize it is the week before Easter and start to book it up

Certainly you don't need to book tomorrow or anything but seems like a bit earlier for this trip than for a simple flight to Orlando or something

Just a heads up. If you're thinking of booking Delta flight 444 nonstop from JFK to Rome on Wednesday 3/21 ... almost half of economy is booked. Seats way in the back are available and those in the Economy Comfort upgrade section are still open.

Not only is it Easter weekend when our cruise ends, but the weekend we are in Rome is the beginning of Holy Week and Palm Sunday.

I'm thinking that flights will book up quicker and possibly get more costly.
I could be wrong...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter