DIS FIT 2021 New Hopes, Dreams & Goals, Chit Chat Thread

I've been doing some walking but today I am waiting until later, we have an air quality advisory. Apparently we have smoke from the forest fires in NW Ontario. Should clear up this afternoon sometime. I do feel bad, I was doing so well last summer and now I am back to start. It took me 20 minutes to walk what was taking 15 minutes last year. Oh well... someday I will learn to keep going.
Slow and steady wins the race

When I started walking...I was horribly out of shape. It has taken me over 6 months to get to where I am today. I have had a few setbacks due to contracting covid, weather, and lack of any extra time at times to fit it into an evening ( I am NOT a morning person)

Do what you can, and keep getting out when you can. Even if you tell yourself...I only need to do this today for 10 minutes....or this many blocks....chances are once you get to that milestone, you will keep going. Many times it's finding the motivation to even get started. If you put a time limit or a number of blocks that you minimum need to do "just for today" you usually find that once you start, you will go farther. For me, I would change my course and add an extra block.

I hope this helps give you some motivation to keep going...even if you only walk for 10 minutes or 2 blocks. That is better than nothing. And it's ok if you need to not walk for today. We need to learn to stop the negative self narration we speak to ourselves when we don't achieve something that was on our to-do list. (if that makes sense) the negative self talk needs to stop!!!! That has been my biggest step and focus in the past 9 months.

Yesterday I was able to log into Disney Vacation club site and change My March 2022 trip to a Feb 2022 trip for my son and daughter inlaw.
I switched them to AKV Jambo house which is their preferred Resort. (They got engaged there.).
They will also be spending a few days at Universal Orlando.

I figure if I can't go at least they will get some use out of it PLUS I can give them a list of much needed Disney /Universal souvenirs. LOL

Hmmmm now how many trinkets and goodies do I want/need.

Hugs
Mel

Yesterday I was able to log into Disney Vacation club site and change My March 2022 trip to a Feb 2022 trip for my son and daughter inlaw.
I switched them to AKV Jambo house which is their preferred Resort. (They got engaged there.).
They will also be spending a few days at Universal Orlando.

I figure if I can't go at least they will get some use out of it PLUS I can give them a list of much needed Disney /Universal souvenirs. LOL

Hmmmm now how many trinkets and goodies do I want/need.

Hugs
Mel

Lots and lots :) I want to go back just so I can buy more souvenirs lol. Well, plus all the fun things to do and Disney!! That sounds like a nice trip for them. I've never stayed at AKL anywhere but it sure looks like a nice resort.

Lots and lots :) I want to go back just so I can buy more souvenirs lol. Well, plus all the fun things to do and Disney!! That sounds like a nice trip for them. I've never stayed at AKL anywhere but it sure looks like a nice resort.

Oh it's so beautiful....
I usually sit on the floor in the entranceway lobby and making crayon rubbing (the floors have huge medallions).

The piped in music of the resort is so calm and relaxing,
Love the smores on the pool side fire pit//miss my Pink flamingo friends and all my turtle friends over at Kidani Village.
Movies under the stars.
Massage at the gym.
Sanaa's is a great place for lunch.
Breakfast at BOMA's is wonderful!!!
I actually can find enough to do there without venturing out to the Park too much.
http://www.aklresort.com/content/artsy-activities-animal-kingdom-lodge
I am planning another vacation right now so I know I'll get back there some day.

Hugs
Mel

We all need lots and lots. I haven't been to any Disney park since 2017 so I am sure that there are lots of new things I could get. It will be awhile before I go again so I can dream.
It's been same for me.

Our dd and myself were able to go to Florida and we did a couple of days in Universal and Disney before a cruise...and we loved it. Once we were there, we agreed that dh and our ds's needed to see it at least once. I'm hoping to do one last adult family trip here in 2022. Crossing my fingers that they change testing requirements....then we will be out of here!!!!

Today
I am chit chatting with Rogers Cable,,,, no seriously this could be an all day event ...............:headache::headache::headache:
I'm on my 4th dept right now..........
For a *communications * company/ business they are batting a 0/10 right now.

Hugs
Mel

All resolved but wow oh wow,,, what a run around for a simple new cable box.....
I hope it's not the new "Normalish" for Rogers Communications .

Hugs
Mel

Finally I was able to go for a walk last night. It was still 27C at 8:00...but at least there was no wind. It's been extremely windy here lately - typical warm crop drying winds for the prairies. But the winds usually calm. Y the evenings. The past two - three weeks have been horrible for wind.
I had a heavy sweat on after this walk...but it was a new personal milestone last night. Hopefully I can find more time in the next few weeks to get more outdoor walking done 596918

I had to search for this thread.....

So I have some questions for everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Re: retirement
Please share your thoughts with me.
1631409914335.png

Are you retired?

Did you or do you plan retire early?

How do you plan out your day or do you just go with the flow?
Like how do you fill your days?

Do you miss work?

Was there anything that happened that you didn't expect when you retired?

Covid has definitely changed some of my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
Hugs
Mel

OMG I was going to search out this thread and post today as well, you beat me to it.

Planning my days:

I have worked out a weekly routine of chores/activities. Yours will be different than mine but I try to do chores in the morning after my morning walk (laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, paperwork). I eat lunch and then go for another walk. The afternoon is my creative/socializing/reading time. I try to block out an hour or three each day. If I'm tired I take a nap then it's time to prepare dinner. After dinner another walk and then TV time until bed.

There are some parts of the week that are planned but a lot of it is just go with the flow. If I don't feel like being creative in the afternoon I might just decide to binge a new show, that's the beauty of retirement. If something comes up that needs immediate attention I can drop everything and go do it.

You will be amazed at how quickly your daily calendar fills up. Some days I'm not really sure what I did all day but I was busy the whole time. (ok those may be days I spend too much time here on DIS)

My two brothers and sister all retired early (ages 55-62) from their respective careers. They have never regretted their decision. They all have found different activities to fill their days as well and are all much less stressed than they used to be.

I am not retired :) but my parents did at 55, they have been retired almost 20 years now! They did move to a smaller town but recently came back closer to us. I think Covid has changed things for them a bit, but they still keep busy. They used to very involved in their church before moving back this way, and my dad had a walking group.

My intention is to retire as soon as I am able to. But I started late in the federal government so don't think it will be at 55, but perhaps 57 or 59. I need to take the course they offer us to figure it out.

My parents don't travel and that is one thing I do like to do, so that would be something I plan for.

I hear too many stories of people who wait or don't get to that point. It's why I do as much traveling as I can now and try to do as many things as I want now and not wait. But I also know I am more of an introvert and not seeing people everyday is ok with me, some people need to be around others more and I think they would want to be involved in other things, even volunteering and such.

I know some people who work where I do who retire and come back as a consultant if they miss work. I would consider something I want to do, not really for the money but the social aspect, if I felt I needed to. Another friend who retired started working with her husband in his business to keep busy. I don't think that because you retire from your current job you never have to do anything again. But then maybe that is what you want.

Thanks for sharing
I am kicking the idea of retiring 2-3 years early. Right now I am only permanent half days anyway.
I reduced my day a couple of years ago.
Looking at the numbers (as in finances NOT Covid),,,lol. this weekend and it looks like I would actually be making more money if I retire than stay working..(yeah who knew).
I am making a list of questions to ask the pension people and will call next week.

Some family members are like won't you be bored? Uh I don't think so.....pirate:
Financial security has always been top on my list but right now my own wellbeing has taken a jump to the top of the list.

I'm excited to be considering this and am finding the thought of it very peaceful!

The one thing I will be without is Insurance (drugs /dental) ....hmmmm have to think about this.
But I think at 65 you get some basic coverage? Have to check into this.

What month to travel to Disney/UO would be wide open!!

Hugs Mel

True my FIL retired from the federal govt then took on a number of different part time jobs over the years to keep his days filled. He didn't do it for the money but to keep himself busy. There are lots of volunteer opportunities out there.

True my FIL retired from the federal govt then took on a number of different part time jobs over the years to keep his days filled. He didn't do it for the money but to keep himself busy. There are lots of volunteer opportunities out there.
Yeah one thing I'd like to do is volunteer at the Food Bank.
Hugs
Mel

True, dental, prescriptions and eye care. I'm not actually sure which are covered once I retire, something I'll want to look at (but I have many more years lol). It would be nice if they actually bring in universal coverage as a few of the parties keep promising, one less worry. But in the meantime I believe there are places to get that coverage if you don't have it. No idea of costs.

The thing with retiring is your taxes will change as well, so no more contributions to CPP & EI, but also no offsetting non-refundable tax credit. Depending on how much you make it could change your tax bracket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter