DIS Unplugged Show Feedback and Suggestions

...miss the Prize-ma-tron?
Me too. I won a 3-day stay at the Swan from the Prizematron.

A few weeks before our trip, I save up the podcasts so we can listen to them on the drive. We were driving home from Disney, listening to the show, when they announced my prize. As soon as we stopped, I emailed Julie to ask how long I had to use the prize since we had literally just left and wouldn't be back for a year. She said that was fine and we did use it the following year when we came back.

Me too. I won a 3-day stay at the Swan from the Prizematron.

A few weeks before our trip, I save up the podcasts so we can listen to them on the drive. We were driving home from Disney, listening to the show, when they announced my prize. As soon as we stopped, I emailed Julie to ask how long I had to use the prize since we had literally just left and wouldn't be back for a year. She said that was fine and we did use it the following year when we came back.
Wow - that's awesome Steve! I never listened during the Prizematron days. However, I did win a DVC prize a few years back where I got 225 points a year for 3 years to stay in DVC - that was INCREDIBLE!!!

Wow - that's awesome Steve! I never listened during the Prizematron days. However, I did win a DVC prize a few years back where I got 225 points a year for 3 years to stay in DVC - that was INCREDIBLE!!!
That's great, Heidi.

I've also gotten a couple of DIS Unplugged t-shirts from having emails read or voicemails played.

I would like to see them get back to little giveaways like for the caption this or where in the world or surveys.

I'm from Australia, so I love the show - connects me when I am no where near the US or Disney :)

A few things I have thought of, that probably have been mentioned:
1) I love the rapid fire, news then something details format. I find that if I need to skip or go back its easy to get through.
2) I love JL - She is amazing. She brings a bit of spunk and personality that I adore. That said, I love everyone else, I just have really connected with her.
3) I would love more back-stories of the staffers - maybe an episode on each person and how they came to be at Disney so much, etc - we get snippits here and there but I am curious about people!
4) I would love to win stuff! I know international post may suck but give me a goddamn tshirt :P haha (JOKING!)

I am just about to start the Connecting with Walt series, and this was going to be one of my suggestions - more history shows, more in depth look into certain attractions, and maybe interviews with ex cast members or current if you can do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm from Australia, so I love the show - connects me when I am no where near the US or Disney :)

A few things I have thought of, that probably have been mentioned:
1) I love the rapid fire, news then something details format. I find that if I need to skip or go back its easy to get through.
2) I love JL - She is amazing. She brings a bit of spunk and personality that I adore. That said, I love everyone else, I just have really connected with her.
3) I would love more back-stories of the staffers - maybe an episode on each person and how they came to be at Disney so much, etc - we get snippits here and there but I am curious about people!
4) I would love to win stuff! I know international post may suck but give me a god damn tshirt :P haha (JOKING!)

I am just about to start the Connecting with Walt series, and this was going to be one of my suggestions - more history shows, more in depth look into certain attractions, and maybe interviews with ex cast members or current if you can do it?
Welcome Tahlzy!
Fellow Aussie here (Melbourne), so I can definitely relate to the being so far away thing.

There are two episodes I think you should listen to, both revolving around back stories:
05/12/15 - get to know the team (in the Orlando feed)
04/15/10 - into to the DIS unplugged.

They're both wonderful episodes and give a greater backstory to the team.

Report back on your thoughts :-)

Any chance that there could be a highlight or best moments show, basically using clips from the 2015 year between the last show in December and the first show in January?

Enjoy the show

Welcome Tahlzy!
Fellow Aussie here (Melbourne), so I can definitely relate to the being so far away thing.

There are two episodes I think you should listen to, both revolving around back stories:
05/12/15 - get to know the team (in the Orlando feed)
04/15/10 - into to the DIS unplugged.

They're both wonderful episodes and give a greater backstory to the team.

Report back on your thoughts :-)

I've been listening to the old shows from the basically the beginning and would recommend doing so to any new listener who is a big fan of the show. Some of my favorite segments were the episodes where Pete does special episodes on the 10th Anniversary of the DIS website/podcast.

04/03/07
6/12/07

These episodes give the back story of each of the original members of the current team (John, Kevin, Pete, Cory, Julie) plus gives you an idea of who Bob Varley was and how he helped shape what we know and love now as the Dis Unplugged podcast. To be quite honest, some of the older have made me laugh so hard, I've nearly had to pull the car over.

I've been listening to the old shows from the basically the beginning and would recommend doing so to any new listener who is a big fan of the show. Some of my favorite segments were the episodes where Pete does special episodes on the 10th Anniversary of the DIS website/podcast.

04/03/07
6/12/07

These episodes give the back story of each of the original members of the current team (John, Kevin, Pete, Cory, Julie) plus gives you an idea of who Bob Varley was and how he helped shape what we know and love now as the Dis Unplugged podcast. To be quite honest, some of the older have made me laugh so hard, I've nearly had to pull the car over.
Now that I have awesome internet access at home, and a 128GB phone, I think I'm going to have to do this over the Christmas hiatus.

I also recommend the bob Varley memorial shows

Those were hilarious. Maybe the funniest line in the history of the show came from an email show. John's "Here's your rocket bar you fat cow." I don't think Pete stopped laughing for the rest of the show!

I nearly fell off my treadmill when John said that. I was laughing so hard I could barely finish my run! We need more John and Kevin on the show!!

I really feel like runDisney is a huge miss for the show. I know no one on the podcast is really into running, but mentions about race weekends, sign up dates, costs, and events around the races are missing from rapid fire mentions which is a super simple thing to add in.

Even some of the runDisney events would be great to cover like the W&D after party and the expos. The fact is runDisney is a big part of Disney and is growing every year. The wish forum is one of the best places to get runDisney information and there is no reason for the podcast to not mention little thing. We have the boards but not all podcast listeners are on here and information, guidance, and opinions are what the podcast is for so to get that with runDisney events would be amazing.

With the marathon coming up in January I'd love to see some coverage and information coming out through rapid fires and maybe even a segment. I'm not to picky I'd take hey this race sign up is at 12 EST on this date in a rapid fire and be happy :angel:

I really feel like runDisney is a huge miss for the show. I know no one on the podcast is really into running, but mentions about race weekends, sign up dates, costs, and events around the races are missing from rapid fire mentions which is a super simple thing to add in.

Even some of the runDisney events would be great to cover like the W&D after party and the expos. The fact is runDisney is a big part of Disney and is growing every year. The wish forum is one of the best places to get runDisney information and there is no reason for the podcast to not mention little thing. We have the boards but not all podcast listeners are on here and information, guidance, and opinions are what the podcast is for so to get that with runDisney events would be amazing.

With the marathon coming up in January I'd love to see some coverage and information coming out through rapid fires and maybe even a segment. I'm not to picky I'd take hey this race sign up is at 12 EST on this date in a rapid fire and be happy :angel:
Look through the archives, there are definitely some episodes with guests that are runners, they were quite informative

I can
Look through the archives, there are definitely some episodes with guests that are runners, they were quite informative

I've listened to them all now I can think of a few one that sticks out was one for the marathon. It's more rapid fire type info that could be tossed in. Party and expo coverage would just be a bonus.

I'd just like to see runDisney getting a little more love from the team.

Very nicely done article on QS meals on FB, Steve.....lots of stuff there I wouldn't have thought of, since I usually think of ordering meals as "2nd nature".....very nicely done.

I agree. runDisney is a big deal that attracts tens of thousands of people. They barely mention it and I don't think I've ever heard them give any info on upcoming events and sign up dates.

I agree. I'd also say that the rundisney forum was hard to find. At least, I felt it was that way. With how much of a thing it has become, it seems like maybe it should be its own forum on the main page, not a subforum.

I can

I've listened to them all now I can think of a few one that sticks out was one for the marathon. It's more rapid fire type info that could be tossed in. Party and expo coverage would just be a bonus.

I'd just like to see runDisney getting a little more love from the team.
Kathy usually does the 5K in January. But yes I agree that should at least mention the upcoming races or something. Even those who don't run that can help with travel plans know that the weekend might be a little busier due to a race or street closures and such.

As a first timer to Disney World, my sister turned me to the DISboards. I started listening to the podcasts some time in July or August I think. I've loved them and look forward to the new ones. I've gone all the way back through the first of the year at least with the WDW podcasts. You can get a lot of great information reading posts and websites. But listening to the folks on the DIS is so helpful because you get to not only learn their personalities but also their takes on everything. The hows and whys behind their opinions, and the tone that comes across in a way it just can't so often in the written word. (Hard to read sarcasm for example.) There have been times I'm laughing out loud at work, or crying for that matter.

I also love the Trip and I've listened to all of those episodes as well. I'm a crier like Theresa. :) I like the way Craig talks about food, he's good at describing it. JL is so fun. I even plan to do an Escape Room for my birthday this month after listening to how much you all enjoyed it.

I often think how fun it would be to join the crew. And what gets me over and over is the respect everyone shows for each other. I'd love more snark too, but I like how you all bring it back and don't run over each other. Everyone gets a say, even if it's not a shared sentiment. The work you all do for kids, the sweet stories you highlight and the stuff you call them (Disney) out on. It's given me a really great understanding of not only all of you, but of Disney as well.

So I'd just like to say thank you. To all of you. I feel like I'm prepared in a way I couldn't have been if I didn't have you. (And now the Monsters Inc song is running through my head.)

I've been thinking about how to address this issue, and one suggestion would be to do an extension of what you folks did with your written submissions by listeners. But instead of a written submission, have listeners who are willing to join a podcast for an afternoon write to you with their expressed interest, and after vetting and selecting appropriate candidates, one person (per month maybe?) could join the podcast by Skype. Or if they are willing to give up an afternoon when they are in the Orlando area, they could actually join you in the studio. It would be a tremendous addition to hear the voice of the Disney guest instead of the Disney resident.

You can see where it becomes difficult to please everyone.

With the addition of Mike Campbell to the most recent podcast...consider me "pleased"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter