• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Disney cancellation policy

A "zero tolerance policy" and vacation just don't match up in my estimation. I still maintain it is a poor customer relations policy and is completely at odds with the image Disney works so hard to project.

I think we agree. ;) Zero tolerance and vacation don't go well together. That's why I think eventually this will not work in the long run.

I'm happy they did something, but I think they'll have to ease up within that 24 hour period.

I don't think no-shows were the big problem. I think people making multiple reservations for the same time coupled with all the people using the dining plan (free or not) who then couldn't get ADR's became a customer relations nightmare. You would see people on these very boards making 3 or 4 ADR's for the same time on a Tuesday night, and then they would show up at the one they felt like keeping that night.

Thanks to the Internet, the only way to enforce this policy is to strictly enforce it. We've already seen people posting that they make one reservation linked to their package, one under DH's nickname, and another under DW's name to bypass the 1 ADR at a time rule, and that they learned of this workaround on the Internet. It wouldn't be long until these same people come online to learn what to say to talk the CM out of charging the no-show fee.

I don't think no-shows were the big problem. I think people making multiple reservations for the same time coupled with all the people using the dining plan (free or not) who then couldn't get ADR's became a customer relations nightmare.

Multiple reservations and no shows. I've talked to several CMs at the checkin counter over the last year. No shows are definitely a problem in their eyes. Definitely not the only one. People booking multiple ADRs are also a problem.

I like this new policy!
We booked our Thanksgiving trip just one week before Thanksgiving. I intially had a bit of panic when my hubby booked the trip, figuring we may be eating offsite at Mcdonalds all week.
The only day we did not make an ADR for was our arrival day. We even got a Christmas Candlelight Processional dining package for the the day after Thanksgiving and enjoyed a nice sit down meal at least once per day.
Hope they keep this policy!

Is there a table for Hugh Jass there?

In all seriousness though, I do see restaurants turn walk ups away. So if no shows are occurring, some tables will go empty. Maybe not a lot, but some will, due to no shows.

But they turn walk-ups away as a matter of policy, at least in my experience, not solely because they're booked solid. I'm not sure what the reasoning for that is... Line/crowd management, space limitations, I really don't know and I have a hard time imagining anything even semi-plausible. However, I have experienced it first hand - told at the podium "We are not accepting walk-ups", got on my phone to book online and had a choice of times. I honestly cannot fathom the reasoning behind that but for some reason walk-ups are something Disney dining just doesn't want to deal with.

Also, some of those empty tables are by design. There is a current thread about this at Cape May - closing off sections and not staffing for a full house, then turning away walk-ups and showing fully booked when people look to make ADRs. We've encountered that as well - people being turned away at the podium with a polite "I'm sorry but we're fully booked" while tables sit empty.

Wow, now there is quite a jump. I am now a bad person and parent because I would rather eat a dinner out than stay home and be charged for nothing. I do think you should be more concerned that Disney has put a policy in place that encourages this type of behavior. They would rather put $40 on their pocket than allow me to cancel day of.

I made this statement to prove a point. It was an exaggerated response to show that this is NOT the answer to the problem. A thoughtful look and a little effort put into the system could easily stop the abuse. This is not a solution but a cheap way to put a few extra dollars in their pockets. The last thing I would do would be to waste my money on a meal that I couldn't enjoy or cause other people to not enjoy their meal.

What I will do in response would either be:
1. Avoid Disney dining and eat outside of Disney property.

Or

2. Use a Visa gift card to hold reservations that they will be unable to charge IF I were to need to cancel the day of due to weather (if I happen to have daily tickets instead of AP) or sickness. However, I would call ASAP

Again, my point is that this type of policy only hurts the innocent and hardly ever the abusers

You may not realize it, but your examples are saying more negative things about you than they are about the policy. I'm sure that's not what you're going for, so I thought I'd give you a heads-up. :) Sometimes what we type does come across they way we intend.

Exactly. This policy will not stop them from still showing up to tables to eat, sick kid/adult in tow. They'll simply say, "We paid SO much money to be here, no illness is going to stop us!" and leave it at that. You see it all the time in the parks, parents shuffling white and green-looking kids about like it's okay. It's not, it really is not.

I know. :/. Our January trip had one person sick after another. (Cold not pukies) we had two out of 8 days with all of at the parks. Sometimes life is like that and you do what you can to make everyone comfortable and entertain and enjoy in the best way possible. If a child or adult is too sick for school or work they are too sick for a theme park. Or a restaurant, for heavens sake!!

Wow, now there is quite a jump. I am now a bad person and parent because I would rather eat a dinner out than stay home and be charged for nothing. I do think you should be more concerned that Disney has put a policy in place that encourages this type of behavior. They would rather put $40 on their pocket than allow me to cancel day of. I made this statement to prove a point. It was an exaggerated response to show that this is NOT the answer to the problem. A thoughtful look and a little effort put into the system could easily stop the abuse. This is not a solution but a cheap way to put a few extra dollars in their pockets. The last thing I would do would be to waste my money on a meal that I couldn't enjoy or cause other people to not enjoy their meal. What I will do in response would either be: 1. Avoid Disney dining and eat outside of Disney property. Or 2. Use a Visa gift card to hold reservations that they will be unable to charge IF I were to need to cancel the day of due to weather (if I happen to have daily tickets instead of AP) or sickness. However, I would call ASAP Again, my point is that this type of policy only hurts the innocent and hardly ever the abusers

You, (a general you) are a crappy parent if you would rather subject the world to your sick kid and your sick kid to the world than lose a few dollars.

Cheaters will cheat. You are right.

Those of you who staunchly support the changes- should there be any grace period for same-day reservations? If you make a mistake when booking should they charge you to fix it?

Definitely need to be able to cancel for same day in some fashion.

I agree with that.

We nearly had an $80 fee this weekend because I booked the wrong restaurant and even though I called immediately they refused to budge. This was a morning reservation for dinner that night. I literally made the reservation, saw the mistake immediately, and called within 90 seconds. No love.

I called again a few times until I found a CM who would alter the existing reservation so that we wouldn't have a fee.

But that rigidity seems so so over the top! I get that I made the mistake. But I called immediately.

I think it is more a factor of a new policy and CM's are being told no exceptions (which of course there will be). Again new policy need to show it is real, otherwise the boards would be filled with "don't worry they will let you cancel no problem"

Wow, now there is quite a jump. I am now a bad person and parent because I would rather eat a dinner out than stay home and be charged for nothing. I do think you should be more concerned that Disney has put a policy in place that encourages this type of behavior. They would rather put $40 on their pocket than allow me to cancel day of.

I made this statement to prove a point. It was an exaggerated response to show that this is NOT the answer to the problem. A thoughtful look and a little effort put into the system could easily stop the abuse. This is not a solution but a cheap way to put a few extra dollars in their pockets. The last thing I would do would be to waste my money on a meal that I couldn't enjoy or cause other people to not enjoy their meal.

What I will do in response would either be:
1. Avoid Disney dining and eat outside of Disney property.

Or

2. Use a Visa gift card to hold reservations that they will be unable to charge IF I were to need to cancel the day of due to weather (if I happen to have daily tickets instead of AP) or sickness. However, I would call ASAP

Again, my point is that this type of policy only hurts the innocent and hardly ever the abusers

Again new policy, are you a bad parent because you drag a sick kid to dinner, I'll let other decide that. The policy is already working just based on what we are seeing on the boards. Disney will adjust as needed once there is some background on how it is working. If all of a sudden revenue drops because people aren't eating you'll see change. Personally I would love to be able to walk thru EPCOT and see a sign saying immediate seating for dinner, or walk-up tables available tonite.

You are quite lucky. We had a meal at Akershus that was ruined by a puking kid. One parent took the kid to the bathroom and I expected the other would help w clean up and pay the bill but no they requested more food and brought the kid back. She puked at least 4 separate times before we could get our check and leave without finishing our meal or dessert. We've also seen puking kids at CRT (they left after though) and Le Cellier. Not sure what people are thinking. I know sometimes it's excitement and too many snacks but these seemed like sick kids from the get go. This policy won't help but all our fun happened before this policy.

The policy obviously would not impact this family, since they are bad parents! In the 25 years I've been going to Disney World I can not remember too many kids ruining our meal by throwing up. I do remember countless families ruining our meal because they think they are the only family in Disney World and what impacts their family is all that matters, or are on the phone speaking as loud as possible...but :offtopic: that is for another post. :)

But they turn walk-ups away as a matter of policy, at least in my experience, not solely because they're booked solid.

Well I guess there could be multiple reasons why you would or would turn a walk up away, but I know they take walk ups if they can, and I know they've turned walk ups away. Why? I guess I don't know, but I've seen both.

We just returned from 10 days staying at All-Star Movies. We had at least one table-service meal reserved for each day while we were there. These were all carefully planned out in advance and guaranteed by a credit card. On our first night there my 4yr old came down with a high fever. The next morning we were at CentraCare and she was diagnosed with Strep. For the next few days we really had to play it by ear with her, not knowing what she would be feeling up to. I had to cancel 2 reservations on the same day they were scheduled. Disney Dining was very kind and completely understood our situation and didn't charge any fees for the cancellation. The last thing I would have wanted to do would have been to pay a $40 fee because my child was too sick to go out anywhere. Our hotel was wonderful to. They got us a fridge in our room to store her medicine, got us in touch with the medical center that picked us up and dropped off no charge and even gave her a Winnie the pooh and large coloring book and crayons. Thank you Disney for your understanding and care, which made a bad situation more bearable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter