• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Disney cancellation policy

They will not continue seating walk ups or later reservations if x amount if parties are reserved and not there yet.

This isn't the case. Reservations are held a place in the "virtual queue". They aren't held a physical table.

This is what I fear. How many puking customers in the restaurant will it take to end this?? Personally, I will show up and puke on the floor if they will not waive the fee when I am sick.

The policy has been in place for signatures for quite some time now and I haven't seen anyone throwing up at dinner just to not get hit with charges...

Wake up. The policy has been widely successful already with the signatures.

And that is what is wrong with this world.

The kind of parents who are more concerned about money than their children or the other families are selfish horrid people not just at Disney.

You can't get away from that sort of person.

Exactly. This policy will not stop them from still showing up to tables to eat, sick kid/adult in tow. They'll simply say, "We paid SO much money to be here, no illness is going to stop us!" and leave it at that. You see it all the time in the parks, parents shuffling white and green-looking kids about like it's okay. It's not, it really is not.

Exactly. This policy will not stop them from still showing up to tables to eat, sick kid/adult in tow. They'll simply say, "We paid SO much money to be here, no illness is going to stop us!" and leave it at that. You see it all the time in the parks, parents shuffling white and green-looking kids about like it's okay. It's not, it really is not.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

Those of you who staunchly support the changes- should there be any grace period for same-day reservations? If you make a mistake when booking should they charge you to fix it?

It is a virtual queue. However, it does have a physical aspect and result.
Certainly. The thing that I'm illustrating is that when Billy Ray's reservation for six is held for some time for late arrival, whether it's 15 minutes or more or less, there isn't a table for six sitting empty for 15 minutes being held for Billy Ray. They'll go down the virtual queue to Igor, who is waiting at the restaurant, to fill the table that Billy Ray would have had if he had been there on time.
Then if Billy Ray shows up at a quarter after and his reservation is still in the queue, he'll then get the next table for six that does open up.
That's the whole basis for the priority seating concept - it keeps the tables moving to avoid just the type of situation you're concerned about.

Certainly. The thing that I'm illustrating is that when Billy Ray's reservation for six is held for some time for late arrival, whether it's 15 minutes or more or less, there isn't a table for six sitting empty for 15 minutes being held for Billy Ray. They'll go down the virtual queue to Igor, who is waiting at the restaurant, to fill the table that Billy Ray would have had if he had been there on time.
Then if Billy Ray shows up at a quarter after and his reservation is still in the queue, he'll then get the next table for six that does open up.
That's the whole basis for the priority seating concept - it keeps the tables moving to avoid just the type of situation you're concerned about.

Is there a table for Hugh Jass there?

In all seriousness though, I do see restaurants turn walk ups away. So if no shows are occurring, some tables will go empty. Maybe not a lot, but some will, due to no shows.

Those of you who staunchly support the changes- should there be any grace period for same-day reservations? If you make a mistake when booking should they charge you to fix it?

I support the policy, only because something had to be done. I wouldn't mind a smaller cancellation window. But for a no show, I absolutely support the charging of the $10 fee per head.

SouthJersey - you are a . . . difficult person to disagree with. It seems that you have a answer for everyone, and certainly get enjoyment out of all of the disagreeing. You really love using those emoticons after you've tried to make a point!!

Just curious: How am I contradicting my owns posts and "claims" (claims - as if untrue, I guess?) Just because I don't actively use the system, doesn't mean I can't understand it or think it can't be improved. It's not a contradiction if I haven't used the system because I don't like, and I will continue to not use it because now I like it even less. I don't think I've said one contradictory thing.

Susie, I have agreed with many of your posts. I have stopped posting because I am just not as emotionally connected to the policy as some seem to be. It's a dining policy not a life altering event. You have made quite a bit of sense to me.

Susie, I have agreed with many of your posts. I have stopped posting because I am just not as emotionally connected to the policy as some seem to be. It's a dining policy not a life altering event. You have made quite a bit of sense to me.

Thanks for this post DisneyDiana. You sound like a wise woman. Certainly not because you agree with anything I say, more for your comment on keeping this discussion in perspective.

Most of my objections are definitely just based on principle - what I think is right and wrong. While principles are definitely important, a company's dining reservation policy really is not. It's sort of silly to get worked up over.

SouthJersey - I apologize for keeping things going for no good reason. I'm just going to agree to disagree.

I support the policy, only because something had to be done. I wouldn't mind a smaller cancellation window. But for a no show, I absolutely support the charging of the $10 fee per head.

I agree with that.

We nearly had an $80 fee this weekend because I booked the wrong restaurant and even though I called immediately they refused to budge. This was a morning reservation for dinner that night. I literally made the reservation, saw the mistake immediately, and called within 90 seconds. No love.

I called again a few times until I found a CM who would alter the existing reservation so that we wouldn't have a fee.

But that rigidity seems so so over the top! I get that I made the mistake. But I called immediately.

And that is what is wrong with this world.

The kind of parents who are more concerned about money than their children or the other families are selfish horrid people not just at Disney.

You can't get away from that sort of person.

Wow, now there is quite a jump. I am now a bad person and parent because I would rather eat a dinner out than stay home and be charged for nothing. I do think you should be more concerned that Disney has put a policy in place that encourages this type of behavior. They would rather put $40 on their pocket than allow me to cancel day of.

I made this statement to prove a point. It was an exaggerated response to show that this is NOT the answer to the problem. A thoughtful look and a little effort put into the system could easily stop the abuse. This is not a solution but a cheap way to put a few extra dollars in their pockets. The last thing I would do would be to waste my money on a meal that I couldn't enjoy or cause other people to not enjoy their meal.

What I will do in response would either be:
1. Avoid Disney dining and eat outside of Disney property.

Or

2. Use a Visa gift card to hold reservations that they will be unable to charge IF I were to need to cancel the day of due to weather (if I happen to have daily tickets instead of AP) or sickness. However, I would call ASAP

Again, my point is that this type of policy only hurts the innocent and hardly ever the abusers

The policy has been in place for signatures for quite some time now and I haven't seen anyone throwing up at dinner just to not get hit with charges...

You are quite lucky. We had a meal at Akershus that was ruined by a puking kid. One parent took the kid to the bathroom and I expected the other would help w clean up and pay the bill but no they requested more food and brought the kid back. She puked at least 4 separate times before we could get our check and leave without finishing our meal or dessert. We've also seen puking kids at CRT (they left after though) and Le Cellier. Not sure what people are thinking. I know sometimes it's excitement and too many snacks but these seemed like sick kids from the get go. This policy won't help but all our fun happened before this policy.

Thanks for this post DisneyDiana. You sound like a wise woman. Certainly not because you agree with anything I say, more for your comment on keeping this discussion in perspective. Most of my objections are definitely just based on principle - what I think is right and wrong. While principles are definitely important, a company's dining reservation policy really is not. It's sort of silly to get worked up over. SouthJersey - I apologize for keeping things going for no good reason. I'm just going to agree to disagree.

It's all in good spirit lol.
I only kept it going when it became clear you wanted the last word :p

I agree with that.

We nearly had an $80 fee this weekend because I booked the wrong restaurant and even though I called immediately they refused to budge. This was a morning reservation for dinner that night. I literally made the reservation, saw the mistake immediately, and called within 90 seconds. No love.

I called again a few times until I found a CM who would alter the existing reservation so that we wouldn't have a fee.

But that rigidity seems so so over the top! I get that I made the mistake. But I called immediately.

ITA. Zero tolerance policies, which I liken this new cancellation policy to, never work. There has to be some room for human error and just plain old "good excuses". LOL I mean people do get sick, you can't expect a sick family to show up for an ADR

I believe Disney has a lot of no shows. I believe their goal is to eliminate no shows, not piss off guests with a money grab. I believe over time, they will have to accept some excuses during the 24 hour period, or they will have a lot of angry guests.

ITA. Zero tolerance policies, which I liken this new cancellation policy to, never work. There has to be some room for human error and just plain old "good excuses". LOL I mean people do get sick, you can't expect a sick family to show up for an ADR

I believe Disney has a lot of no shows. I believe their goal is to eliminate no shows, not piss off guests with a money grab. I believe over time, they will have to accept some excuses during the 24 hour period, or they will have a lot of angry guests.

A "zero tolerance policy" and vacation just don't match up in my estimation. I still maintain it is a poor customer relations policy and is completely at odds with the image Disney works so hard to project.

You are quite lucky. We had a meal at Akershus that was ruined by a puking kid. One parent took the kid to the bathroom and I expected the other would help w clean up and pay the bill but no they requested more food and brought the kid back. She puked at least 4 separate times before we could get our check and leave without finishing our meal or dessert. We've also seen puking kids at CRT (they left after though) and Le Cellier. Not sure what people are thinking. I know sometimes it's excitement and too many snacks but these seemed like sick kids from the get go. This policy won't help but all our fun happened before this policy.

I've had 1 puking incident by my own child at CRT dinner (we made it into the restroom, but kicked down the stall door like Jean Claude Van Damme lol). It was one of those totally fine all day things and then wham. We had done BBB, breakfast, lunch, lots of fun, and we don't do sweets throughout the day so that wasn't it.

She felt totally fine afterwards so we stayed. I'd never in my wildest dreams think of keeping her somewhere if she was sick. Fee or no fee. That's disgusting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter