• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with Disney cancellation policy

I'm not a fan of this policy and I resent the implication that only those who are habitual cancelers/no-shows and/or those who book multiple ADRs for the same time or same restaurant dislike it.

I've never, not once, double booked a time. The only time I book at the same restaurant multiple times in a trip is because I want to eat at that restaurant multiple times and I do always show up for those ADRs.

In all of my trips I've only had to miss 3 ADRs and each of those was directly a result of something done by a CM. We've never not shown up. We average one ADR per day of our trips and our trips are never less than 7 nights, usually they're longer.

We've had plenty of ADRs where our wait time was over an hour. If it's never happened to you then you've been lucky. Last February our ADR for 'Ohana was at 10:55am. We arrived at 10:40am. We were seated at 12:05pm. A couple years ago at HBD our ADR was at 4:00pm. We arrived at 3:50. We were seated at 5:20pm. I have plenty more examples but I'm sure you don't want to hear them. I don't think we've gotten into Sci-Fi less than 40 minutes past our ADR time and that's with arriving 10-20 minutes before our ADR time. I think we've only once gotten into 50s PTC less than 70 minutes past our ADR time with arriving 10-20 minutes before our ADR time. We're always a party of 4-6 so it's not like we're even talking about huge groups that can be difficult to seat. With this policy, if we decided we didn't want to stick around that long (IMO it's completely reasonable to find that kind of wait unacceptable) then we'd be out $40-$60 depending on who's with us that trip. How is it ok for us to be charged when Disney isn't holding up their end of our agreement to have us seated at a reasonable time relative to our ADR (no reasonable person is going to consider these kinds of waits to be reasonable).

We do have an autistic DD. Our touring plans revolve around her needs. We don't spend a lot of time in the parks and our ADRs are schedule at times that fit her schedule. The thing is, you never know what will happen to upset an autistic child. I still remember a trip where the first hour of our morning was sidelined because somebody barreled into her trying to run to TSMM (we stayed at the back of the crowd so it wouldn't happen but somebody was running late and shoved her out of the way even though there was plenty of sidewalk around her). We almost had to leave the park but we did manage to calm her down in a quiet area so that we could proceed with our day. Some things can't be planned for when you have a special needs child. We do the best we can but we simply don't have the gift of seeing the future.

I wouldn't object to the policy being a fee for no-shows but I have a problem with a fee when I do cancel (again, almost never happens that we can't make it and the rare time has always been the result of some kind of action of a CM).

Since the implementation of the CC guarantee policy at hard to get into restaurants we've begun limiting how many ADRs we book at these restaurants as a precaution. I wouldn't book an arrival day ADR at a restaurant with a cc guarantee in case of travel delays and really only book them at restaurants where I know we could get walk-up anyway. Now, I'm not sure what we'll do. We have to have ADRs. We have lots of allergies among the group of us. Chefs want a heads up that we're coming. I guess we won't be eating TS on our arrival days but unfortunately that means we're stuck with significantly fewer options for dining depending on where we're staying. We can't get food at the airport before heading to DME (there's nothing there we can safely eat) and not all resorts have many CS options.

Please stop painting everybody who dislikes the policy as-is as being inconsiderate, selfish, entitled, or any of the other negative brushes some of you have been painting us with. Having a different opinion than you doesn't make us any of these negative things. We just feel differently than you do.

Minniesgal said:
We have spent over 45 nights at WDW in the last 2 years and had an ADR every evening. We have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for our table. In our personal experience This is not a valid objection.

In the past few trips we have taken, there were only a couple of meals where we waited 10 minutes or less for a table. The remainder of them were 30-60 min. waits or longer. We made our adrs 180 days in advance, didn't change them, and we visited during a relatively slow time of the year.

For each ADR account they hold they purchase a $25 Visa gift card. (cost around $2.95) They use the gift card to make the reservations, then use the gift card at the grocery store. Credit card is now empty and in the garbage. ADRs go uncancelled, Disney tries to charge the card and gets declined...

No policy will ever stop the selfish people from getting around the system to get what they want. It will only cause grief and anguish to people who have real reasons for missing their ADRs.

Nice.

There's always someone trying to skirt the rules. Always.

my last trip we had one ADR we couldn't make...since I had booked well before the new rules,they had no cc info.... I TRIED and TRIED and TRIED that day to cancel, the online site didn't allow it, the phone line was ridiculous (on hold,on hold,on hold) so I just gave up. My only annoyance is I wasted so much time trying to do the proper thing,cancel so they could book more people!

I think that's something fans of this policy are forgetting - Disney made it possible to book online long before they made it possible to cancel online, and the ability to do so now is still spotty. More often than not when I'm changing plans I can't cancel from Chrome - I have to switch over to Internet Explorer, which I only keep on my computer at all because Disney's site doesn't play nice with other browsers - and the one time I tried to cancel something from my smartphone I had a similar issue. Yet Disney didn't see reason to set up the automated cancellation line that they have now until the new policy was in effect at all character and signature meals. So booking ADRs took a minute or two, but cancelling them often took 20+ min on the phone. Under those conditions, is it really a surprise that they had a no-show problem? But rather than address the failings of their own systems, they simply added a fee to give people an incentive to spend that time on the phone cancelling.

In the past few trips we have taken, there were only a couple of meals where we waited 10 minutes or less for a table. The remainder of them were 30-60 min. waits or longer. We made our adrs 180 days in advance, didn't change them, and we visited during a relatively slow time of the year.

We've been lucky - aside from a few memorable exceptions we've seldom had to wait more than 20-30min. But aside from an equally few exceptions we've rarely had a wait of less than 15min or so either. I do expect some wait after checking in but 45 minutes or longer crosses over into "unacceptable", especially if I have my kids with me and they're hungry because we planned the rest of our meals/snacking around our scheduled dinner time.

Colleen27 said:
We've been lucky - aside from a few memorable exceptions we've seldom had to wait more than 20-30min. But aside from an equally few exceptions we've rarely had a wait of less than 15min or so either. I do expect some wait after checking in but 45 minutes or longer crosses over into "unacceptable", especially if I have my kids with me and they're hungry because we planned the rest of our meals/snacking around our scheduled dinner time.

I know! I had my three little ones with me, and we waited over 45 min. to get into Boma, a buffet!

For those that are having issues with app or calling: simply go to guest service. Every park has one, every resort has one. This of course won't help if your off site but it's an option

Thanks to the folks who said that they hate the policy, but are not habitual no-shows or hoarders. I'm with you 100%, although I'm sure that some here won't believe you.

SouthJersey doesn't seem to believe much of the stuff I say, and also said I have a guilty conscience about something . . . hmmmmmm.

And I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion and "blast" a system I don't use. Guess what: I don't like the system that's always been in place anymore than the new fee system! I never said I did. That's part of the reason I don't use it. At one point someone asked for ways that WDW could improve the system. I gave my thoughts. For some reason my thoughts lead some people (SouthJersey?) to think I was ADR-grubbing, procrastinating, guilty-conscience, non-showing kind of a gal!!!:rotfl:

For those that are having issues with app or calling: simply go to guest service. Every park has one, every resort has one. This of course won't help if your off site but it's an option

A time consuming option, particularly right now with the Magic Band/Fast Pass+ mess. That was my point - instead of making cancellation easy and painless, Disney opted for a penalty-based system. Certainly spending 20min or more on the phone or hiking over to guest services is an option, but why should the simple act of canceling a dining reservation be so difficult? Maybe if they'd made it user-friendly from the start they wouldn't have had the crazy no-show rates to begin with.

I was super annoyed when I made a same-day reservation and clicked confirm about a minute too early.... I had 2 windows open and booked the wrong one.

So I immediately called and was told because it was within 24 hours I would have to pay.

It didn't matter that I had made the reservations 90 seconds prior.

I get the policy. Trust me. I just think they need to have a little leeway with same-day bookings!

I eat on Disney property about once a week (TS for a family of 4). I think they owe me a little grace!

We've had plenty of ADRs where our wait time was over an hour. If it's never happened to you then you've been lucky. Last February our ADR for 'Ohana was at 10:55am. We arrived at 10:40am. We were seated at 12:05pm. If Disney intends to enforce their new policy then it shouldn't be just one sided, if Disney can't get you in within a reasonable length of time, and anything beyond 30 minutes past your ADR time is, since they ask that we check in early, then you should not be charged if you choose to walk away!

Please stop painting everybody who dislikes the policy as-is as being inconsiderate, selfish, entitled, or any of the other negative brushes some of you have been painting us with. Having a different opinion than you doesn't make us any of these negative things. We just feel differently than you do.

Bravo, I totally agree!

I just spoke to a friend of mine who worked in Sci-Fi during her college co-op program. According to her, more than half of the reservations were no-shows, every day.IF that's the truth,

Well if that is the truth then I shouldn't ever have to wait to get in but yet I do each and every time, at least 20/25 minutes, and that's without the time already spent for checking in early!

I think cancelling a reservation 4 to 6 hours prior to is more than reasonable, 24 hours is not! I'm a Disney fan, I regularly drink the cool-aid but this is beyond ridiculous and though I've never to date cancelled an ADR, nor been a no-show, I think that there are mitigating circumstances where the fee should be waived. Disney's again trying to control all things to their advantage and those that will be charged have a choice, sit down and take the hit or call and have it waived or credited. And everyone knows, MS never has the same opinion/answer twice, if at first you don't get the answer you want, call again!

A time consuming option, particularly right now with the Magic Band/Fast Pass+ mess. That was my point - instead of making cancellation easy and painless, Disney opted for a penalty-based system. Certainly spending 20min or more on the phone or hiking over to guest services is an option, but why should the simple act of canceling a dining reservation be so difficult? Maybe if they'd made it user-friendly from the start they wouldn't have had the crazy no-show rates to begin with.

Here's a thought for fun...the new pressure to cancel which is presumably accomplished in at least part by trudging over to some line somewhere to stand and wait for your turn to discuss the cancellation can be viewed as a positive thing! All the invalid complaints about the new tiering system for FP+ are without merit, as the two systems work together to enhance the guest experience...pay no mind to critics who say there are not enough experiences out their for the FP+ users. We didn't need to build new atractions...instead the consolidation of guests cancelling works to draw guest out of the standby queues at the limited ride options. Add in the guests standing to wait for help with their MBs or the FP+ system itself and it works just like we added a whole new land! Don't you see, in Disney's wisdom they solved two problems in one! All Hail the Mouse-Beancounters!! :lmao:

Nice.

There's always someone trying to skirt the rules. Always.

Sounds more like a fictional story of someone trying to point out that the policy will be ineffective.

From what I've seen, I've found ADR's for my last two trips A LOT easier during the new policy, so...oh well!

It's implemented and it's not going anywhere, or else it wouldn't have been implemented as wide as it has been.

It's here to stayyyyyy :cool1: :cool1: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :dance3: :dance3: :cool2: :cool2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :lmao: :lmao: :happytv: :happytv:

Those that don't like it.... :crazy2::wave2::crazy2::wave2::crazy2::wave2::sad::sad::wave2::wave2:

Well if that is the truth then I shouldn't ever have to wait to get in but yet I do each and every time, at least 20/25 minutes, and that's without the time already spent for checking in early!

I think cancelling a reservation 4 to 6 hours prior to is more than reasonable, 24 hours is not! I'm a Disney fan, I regularly drink the cool-aid but this is beyond ridiculous and though I've never to date cancelled an ADR, nor been a no-show, I think that there are mitigating circumstances where the fee should be waived. Disney's again trying to control all things to their advantage and those that will be charged have a choice, sit down and take the hit or call and have it waived or credited. And everyone knows, MS never has the same opinion/answer twice, if at first you don't get the answer you want, call again!

If half the place is no-shows, then half their tables sit dormant 15 minutes per no-show.
Those times when you're looking around saying, "There's a table there...and there's another there! Why aren't we getting sat?"...no shows.

Thanks to the folks who said that they hate the policy, but are not habitual no-shows or hoarders. I'm with you 100%, although I'm sure that some here won't believe you.

SouthJersey doesn't seem to believe much of the stuff I say, and also said I have a guilty conscience about something . . . hmmmmmm.

And I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion and "blast" a system I don't use. Guess what: I don't like the system that's always been in place anymore than the new fee system! I never said I did. That's part of the reason I don't use it. At one point someone asked for ways that WDW could improve the system. I gave my thoughts. For some reason my thoughts lead some people (SouthJersey?) to think I was ADR-grubbing, procrastinating, guilty-conscience, non-showing kind of a gal!!!:rotfl:

No, just most of your posts contradict your points and claims.

popcorn::

If half the place is no-shows, then half their tables sit dormant 15 minutes per no-show.
Those times when you're looking around saying, "There's a table there...and there's another there! Why aren't we getting sat?"...no shows.

They don't leave tables empty. All an ADR gets you is a place on the list. A no-show or a late check-in just means the next party needing the same size table is seated sooner. If I check in at 6:15 for a 6:30 ADR and you check in at 6:20 for a 6:15 ADR, I'm seated first. Because it is the check-in time, specifically the printing of the ticket at the podium, that puts you in the actual queue for a table.

They don't leave tables empty. All an ADR gets you is a place on the list. A no-show or a late check-in just means the next party needing the same size table is seated sooner. If I check in at 6:15 for a 6:30 ADR and you check in at 6:20 for a 6:15 ADR, I'm seated first. Because it is the check-in time, specifically the printing of the ticket at the podium, that puts you in the actual queue for a table.

They will not continue seating walk ups or later reservations if x amount if parties are reserved and not there yet.

I can already see the "all about me types" who supposedly caused Disney to make the policy by hoarding ADRs dragging sick kids to the meal "because we will be charged." We already see threads regarding parents dragging kids to meals tired/sleeping/cranky /and even sick with no real skin in the game to cause them to make the decisions they do. If you thought it was bad when selfish people sat on ADRs they weren't going to use, just wait until your special meal is ruined by a sick kid or two. Can't wait to see the threads here that will no doubt be coming about ruined meals based on puking kids at restaurants. I dare say even some of the cheerleaders of the new policy will be affected in the fallout.....:rolleyes1

This is what I fear. How many puking customers in the restaurant will it take to end this?? Personally, I will show up and puke on the floor if they will not waive the fee when I am sick.

This is what I fear. How many puking customers in the restaurant will it take to end this?? Personally, I will show up and puke on the floor if they will not waive the fee when I am sick.

And that is what is wrong with this world.

The kind of parents who are more concerned about money than their children or the other families are selfish horrid people not just at Disney.

You can't get away from that sort of person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter