Discovery Cove Newbie!!!

kkproulx

DIS Veteran
Hello! I'm so super excited about this! My DH and I are surprising my DD11 on December 27 with a swim with the dolphins. My husband opted out of that. So my question is this. Does he still get to snorkel? I don't know what all is there to do (because all I care about is the dolphins!! :cool2:). I bought water shoes for my DD and I, but now I'm thinking he will need them too. Please let me know what all there is at this park. I would love to do SW also, but I think this may be a full day here. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

I think I found a list of activities at DC....but any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!!

If he bought the no dolphin swim ticket then yes he will be able to snorkel and do everything else but the dolphin swim, he may want to get the water shoes. When you and your dd do the dolphin interaction he will be able to stand on the beach right behind you (10 or 15 feet) and watch or record your experience. The day at discovery cove used to and may still come with a pass for seaworld

If you can squeeze in a day at SeaWorld on your vacation, I highly recommend doing so. SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration is amazing, and well worth a visit when your trip falls during the holiday season. The special events and attractions are all included with your regular admission, and admission is free for 14 days with your DC ticket. Your kids can ride the Polar Express, the family can have their photo taken in a snow globe, you can visit with Santa at the North Pole, and enjoy the Sea of Trees (and the special holiday-themed shows) after dark. Its awesome.

As for DC, the dolphin swim is really only a very small portion of your day. The swim itself is about 30 minutes long, plus you will have a short pre-swim orientation session with your small group before heading down to the beach. Afterward, you will get the chance to view the photos taken by the in-water photographer. So maybe an hour all together.

The other things to do will be the Grand Reef (snorkeling with the tropical fish), the Aviary (where you will be able to feed the free-flying fowl), the Freshwater Oasis (featuring the marmosets and the Asian otters), and the lazy river (which is longer than you will expect.....probably a full 20 minutes or more to do one rotation). They have a beautiful sand beach that you also may want to enjoy....building sandcastles, or stretching out on one of their loungers if the day happens to be warm and sunny.

If you are doing the dolphin swim, try to budget for the purchase of the photo CD because you will want those pics. I think it was about $169 (or something close to that) for the CD of all the photos taken during the day (including those from the Freshwater Oasis and Lazy River) plus two photo key chains and an assortment of 6 x 8 prints of your choosing, but they were fabulous. Your husband won't be able to get anything close to as nice from the shore, as your backs will be to your DH while the photographer will be in the water, right in front of you. Each person's dolphin encounter includes feeding the dolphin, petting the dolphin, kissing the dolphin, and then getting a "ride" (holding on to the fin, it will drag you through the water). The photographer will capture the kissing, "swim", and do formal photos of your choosing (you alone with the dolphin, each of the kids by themselves, and any group shots you wish to have done).

All your food at DC is included (breakfast, lunch, all snacks, and all drinks including alcohol) so between each of your park activities, you can eat and snack until your heart is content.

You will LOVE Discovery Cove. Its an amazing park. We have been there twice, and have already purchased tickets to return again in August :banana: . If there are any other specific questions you have, feel free to toss them out!

Let's see if I can get some pics of the different areas of the park to go with the info above:

Here's what the dolphin swim area looks like from the shore (where your DH will be):

The Freshwater Oasis:

Grand Reef:

I will try to get some additional pics of the dolphin swim and aviary up later this morning.

Gina, are your photos from your January or August visit? We are going in August and I am wondering which wetsuit option to go for.

OMGosh!! Thank you all so much for the pics and for sharing your experiences! I'm SO super excited!!! My DD is going to freak out!!! I'm just hoping my husband can hold the surprise. Because me being so excited about this myself, I can only worry about myself spilling the beans!!! CanNOT wait. Hoping for some warm weather!!!!

Gina, are your photos from your January or August visit? We are going in August and I am wondering which wetsuit option to go for.

Some of the pics are from August, some are from January (the dolphin swim are all January).

In August, it was HOT........so Steve and I were more than comfy in the vests. That's what I will wear again this year.

In January, it was cooler in the morning (but a relatively warm day as the sun came out and heated things up), so we all wore the shorty wetsuits and found them perfect.

Jake wore the shorty wetsuit both times, actually, because he quite liked the feel of them.

OMGosh!! Thank you all so much for the pics and for sharing your experiences! I'm SO super excited!!! My DD is going to freak out!!! I'm just hoping my husband can hold the surprise. Because me being so excited about this myself, I can only worry about myself spilling the beans!!! CanNOT wait. Hoping for some warm weather!!!!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Our first visit was January 1, 2012.....and the weather was bee-you-ti-ful! Of course, we're from a northern climate, so "warm" to us is different from what a southerner would consider warm....but really, Florida can offer some great weather in the winter still. And if its cool, there are large standing heaters that they place around the park where you can dry off and warm up quickly. And the wetsuits help tremendously.

I hope you have an incredible visit!!!

Ummm, yea....we're from Illinois. So whatever we have, it will be better than what we're having here at that time!!! I just want sunshine and to be able to wear shorts during the day. We went in '09 and wore shorts. People that lived in Florida said to us, "You have to be from up North wearing that kind of outfit today!".....we just laughed!!! My DD was in the pool going down the slide, the lifeguards were in snowsuits!!!!:rotfl:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Our first visit was January 1, 2012.....and the weather was bee-you-ti-ful! Of course, we're from a northern climate, so "warm" to us is different from what a southerner would consider warm....but really, Florida can offer some great weather in the winter still. And if its cool, there are large standing heaters that they place around the park where you can dry off and warm up quickly. And the wetsuits help tremendously.

I hope you have an incredible visit!!!

woo hoo!! just booked our DC Christmas package with american express disount!! DC plus 14 days of sea world and aquatica for 149.00 each!! ( we are not including the dolphin swim) 900.00 total for DC on Christmas day and tickets for SW and A...also got homeschool tickets for legoland (25.00 for adults and 8.00 (!!!) for kids) Thanks to Gina for tipping us off on the awesome deal that these DC tickets really are!! We will have 1 day at lego land, 1 day at DC: CHRISTMAS DAY :) , 3 days at SW, 2 at A, 1 at DTD, and 1 day at gatorland...PLUS Shrekfest and groupons for Gator Golf and Volcano Island golf to use on our 11 day adventure!! You all are awesome, thanks for all the tips!! :thumbsup2

woo hoo!! just booked our DC Christmas package with american express disount!! DC plus 14 days of sea world and aquatica for 149.00 each!! ( we are not including the dolphin swim) 900.00 total for DC on Christmas day and tickets for SW and A...also got homeschool tickets for legoland (25.00 for adults and 8.00 (!!!) for kids) Thanks to Gina for tipping us off on the awesome deal that these DC tickets really are!! We will have 1 day at lego land, 1 day at DC: CHRISTMAS DAY :) , 3 days at SW, 2 at A, 1 at DTD, and 1 day at gatorland...PLUS Shrekfest and groupons for Gator Golf and Volcano Island golf to use on our 11 day adventure!! You all are awesome, thanks for all the tips!! :thumbsup2

Sounds like an absolutely awesome trip!!! I hope you have an AMAZING time! :goodvibes

I may have to put together a trip report!! We need more DC/SW/A ones!! Maybe a "live" report like those savvy Disney peeps!!:cool1:

Thank you so much for all the great pics.:thumbsup2 We are scheduled to go in May and can't wait!!! I've never been, but my partner has. Looking forward to a great day!!

Can I ask where you got the AMEX discount for DC? I would love to book for our June trip, but am hoping for some kind of discount off the $300++ price. My husband has an AMEX card, but is terrible about checking discounts. Men:(!

Can I ask where you got the AMEX discount for DC? I would love to book for our June trip, but am hoping for some kind of discount off the $300++ price. My husband has an AMEX card, but is terrible about checking discounts. Men:(!

The Amex deal can be found here:

http://discoverycove.com/CP/?page=American Express

Unfortunately, it was only extended to guests visiting between the end of September and January 31.

It will be harder to find discounts for June. Cold weather is not an issue, and school is out (meaning lots of visitors to Orlando) so there is less need to offer discounts to secure sales of admission passes.

Definitely keep an eye out on these boards........if a discount is released, someone is generally kind enough to post it here so we can all share in the savings :) . We are in a similar boat for August, though our ticket price was a little more palatable at $259 each. Even the early booking discount offered by DC for 2014 dates excluded June, July and August. And non-US residents :scratchin .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter