Discovery Cove Newbie!!!

Thanks I'll keep hoping. My local AAA gave me a number of AAA South to call and said I am eligible for their discount, so I'll try that today. I've heard conflicting reports whether or not that AAA will work, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks I'll keep hoping. My local AAA gave me a number of AAA South to call and said I am eligible for their discount, so I'll try that today. I've heard conflicting reports whether or not that AAA will work, but it's worth a shot.

Went in Sept with AAA discount. I think it took about $47 off each ticket.

Went in Sept with AAA discount. I think it took about $47 off each ticket.

Lucky! :) :thumbsup2

Our local CAA office (the Canadian equivalent to AAA) does offer DC admission tickets, but their price was about $30 MORE per ticket than through DC directly.

Hi all. We are new to DC too, and have a trip planned this spring. Hope you don't mind me asking a ? on your post:)

Do you have a suggestion for Dining options when at Sea World and Aquatica throughout the week. We bought our DC tickets first, so we could benefit from free admission to SW and AQ all week. But I'm not sure how dining works if we didn't buy tickets direct for SW and AQ. Any thoughts??

TIA!!:cheer2:

Hi all. We are new to DC too, and have a trip planned this spring. Hope you don't mind me asking a ? on your post:)

Do you have a suggestion for Dining options when at Sea World and Aquatica throughout the week. We bought our DC tickets first, so we could benefit from free admission to SW and AQ all week. But I'm not sure how dining works if we didn't buy tickets direct for SW and AQ. Any thoughts??

TIA!!:cheer2:

Hi annabug,

For SeaWorld, I highly recommend their all-day dining. You can buy your passes online, in advance, or at the park on the day of your visit. SeaWorld's all-day dining is truly unlimited from breakfast right through until 30 minutes before the park closes. You can eat and drink all day for one price, as often as you wish. Each time through the line, you are entitled to one entree, one side (it can be dessert or a salad or a pickle or fruit or ???) and one non-alcoholic beverage. Or any combination of those entitlements....so if you don't want an entree, you can just grab fruit and a water, or a burger and a drink, or just a drink. Options are excellent, from wraps and sandwiches to roast chicken to pizza to fish & chips. Our favourite dining locations are Voyageurs and SeaFire Inn, but there are multiple locations throughout the park. I love never having to worry about the cost of grabbing another cold bottle of water or a snack.

I would also normally recommend Dine With Shamu (assuming you didn't want to go with the all-day dining), but it will be closed from January to April.

For Aquatica, your most cost effective option will be the Banana Beach Buffet. You can pay one price and get unlimited visits throughout the day. All food must be consumed within the restaurant boundaries, though....no grabbing a plate full and bringing it back to your lounger. And while the food is perfectly palatable (pizza, hot dogs, chicken legs, watermelon, chocolate cake, etc.) its quite honestly nothing to write home about.

We much prefer the Waterstone Grill for food quality. Its cooked to order (typical fast food options....wraps, sandwiches, burgers, etc.) and you can take it back to your lounger/cabana or eat it at one of the tables at the restaurant.

All that said......we still opted to buy Banana Beach Buffet passes for our upcoming August trip. We paid $12 per person on their Blue Friday sale, and you just can't beat that for value (isn't it awful when sometimes it really does come down to money? :rolleyes1). We will likely visit more than once during our two-week vacation, so one day we will eat at the buffet restaurant, and the next time we'll eat at the Waterstone Grill. Best of both worlds :) .

Gina,

I bought the Seaworld all day dining deal on Blue Friday (couldn't resist that price). I never thought about breakfast in the park. What is there for options?

Thanks,
Gigi

Gina, I bought the Seaworld all day dining deal on Blue Friday (couldn't resist that price). I never thought about breakfast in the park. What is there for options? Thanks, Gigi

Hi Gigi :) ,

Breakfast at SeaWorld is served at one location only. In December 2012, it was offered at Voyageurs, but others have reported both the SeaFire Inn and Spice Mill as being the breakfast location on their visit day. So be sure to check the park map and schedule when you arrive so you know which one is cooking up your morning vittles :thumbsup2 .

I am trying to remember what all they had.....I am pretty sure DH had eggs and breakfast meat (bacon, sausage or ham). I know I had French toast sticks and my choice of breakfast meat. I can't for the life of me recall was DS had :confused: . Most of the entrees were pretty standard, tho, if memory serves me correctly. Eggs were scrambled. You could choose your meat. I am thinking maybe DS had pancakes because he's a pancake guy at heart.

For "sides" at breakfast, they had super HUGE muffins. Enormous.

I can't remember what else was offered as it was Christmas morning and we had been sick the entire day before, so we ate sparingly before our park day. Hopefully others will also be able to chime in with more details, too!

GINA!!!! TY for your offerings I am printing out your advice and bringing it with us !!! LOL

One thing…….I am hoping that ONE OCEAN/and DINE WIth Shamu will be open by the time we arrive.

They told me April 7. I am PRAYING they are accurate. We arrive a week and a half after that.

I was Planning on doing Dine with Shamu,what do you think??????

GINA!!!! TY for your offerings I am printing out your advice and bringing it with us !!! LOL

One thing…….I am hoping that ONE OCEAN/and DINE WIth Shamu will be open by the time we arrive.

They told me April 7. I am PRAYING they are accurate. We arrive a week and a half after that.

I was Planning on doing Dine with Shamu,what do you think??????

Dine with Shamu is great :thumbsup2 . We thought the meal was excellent quality and the "show" (which is more like a demonstration/information session than a show) was very interesting and entertaining. At $29.99 pp, its a good value.

You can check out our experience at DWS by clicking on my December 2012 trip report (the link is in my signature). I think Dine With Shamu starts on page 6, if you want to skip over the beginnings and go right to it. There's a full write up and several photos, too.

All that said....if you are only doing SeaWorld for one day, I would stick with the all day dining so you can minimize your eating time and maximize your shows and attractions time. Good as DWS is, it does take a lot more time from your day than a meal at Voyageurs or the SeaFire Inn. If you have two SeaWorld days on your itinerary, then definitely do the all day dining one day and DWS the second visit. Then you get the best of both worlds :goodvibes .

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Dine with Shamu is great :thumbsup2 . We thought the meal was excellent quality and the "show" (which is more like a demonstration/information session than a show) was very interesting and entertaining. At $29.99 pp, its a good value.

You can check out our experience at DWS by clicking on my December 2012 trip report (the link is in my signature). I think Dine With Shamu starts on page 6, if you want to skip over the beginnings and go right to it. There's a full write up and several photos, too.

All that said....if you are only doing SeaWorld for one day, I would stick with the all day dining so you can minimize your eating time and maximize your shows and attractions time. Good as DWS is, it does take a lot more time from your day than a meal at Voyageurs or the SeaFire Inn. If you have two SeaWorld days on your itinerary, then definitely do the all day dining one day and DWS the second visit. Then you get the best of both worlds :goodvibes .

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

We plan to go to Sea World 2-3 days. I have little ones, and we are staying closely, with unlimited admission. So we figured we would go a few days and see everything, take our time.:cloud9: And a day or 2 at Aquatica, and one day at DC, one day to relax, do DTD. I definitely want to do Dine with Shamu one day. Your report was AWESOME!!! I just pray they open it back up in time for our arrival. I really will be heartbroken if its not. :sad1:
Any other advice or touring advice about anything would be greatly appreciated!!!! we are staying at spring hill suites

We plan to go to Sea World 2-3 days. I have little ones, and we are staying closely, with unlimited admission. So we figured we would go a few days and see everything, take our time.:cloud9: And a day or 2 at Aquatica, and one day at DC, one day to relax, do DTD. I definitely want to do Dine with Shamu one day. Your report was AWESOME!!! I just pray they open it back up in time for our arrival. I really will be heartbroken if its not. :sad1:
Any other advice or touring advice about anything would be greatly appreciated!!!! we are staying at spring hill suites

annabug, I think you have a GREAT plan :thumbsup2 . By spreading your visit over several days (and staying at an onsite property), you can relax and enjoy and see everything you want to see, including the favourites more than once. You'll have Quick Queue at your disposal, so you won't have to wait in line, either. You're going to have a great trip!!!

Definitely do Dine with Shamu on one of your days, assuming its open by then (I will have my fingers crossed for you!!). Do the dining plan at least one day too. When you do the all day dining, I would avoid the Terrace Garden Buffet. It is probably the only restaurant in SW that we won't return to. Its not that its bad....its just that there are much better dining options in the park.

I would plan on setting aside some money in the budget to feed the various animals around the park, as your little ones will love the experience. Plan for some time at Shamu's Happy Harbour (where they will have lots of rides geared for the youngest guests) while you relax and watch them have fun. Also consider getting the photo CD.....save each of your photo receipts (given to you by each of the park photographers at the various picture locations around the park) and turn them in on your final park day. Save your Aquatica ones, too.....as I hear they can also be included as long as all pics are taken within a 7-day period. The Adventure Photo location at the front of SW will put all your family's pics on a CD for about $40, which is an awesome value....but they can only burn it once (you can't add in additional pics after the fact). If you choose to go with the CD, also ask if they have any frames you can add on for an additional small cost.....we got lovely SeaWorld themed frames for $5 each (they hold 6 x 8 pictures) when we were there a year ago. Along with the photo CD, they're the best park souvenirs ever.

There is a section of the park that offers carnival style games (where you can shoot basketballs into the hoop to win a prize, etc.). Some of these games are only a couple of dollars or so to play, and you get a guaranteed prize at the end (like a stuffed stingray, penguin, etc.). Some you play and get nothing (unless you "win"), so be sure to check that out before you play. Its a fun way to get a little stuffed animal for each of your kids as a souvenir. IIRC, you can also buy a card that gives you $25 worth of game play for $20, so if you think they will want to play a couple of times each then this could be something you want to do.

And be sure to come back and post a review of your trip once you're home. We all love to read about other family's adventures!!

annabug, I think you have a GREAT plan :thumbsup2 . By spreading your visit over several days (and staying at an onsite property), you can relax and enjoy and see everything you want to see, including the favourites more than once. You'll have Quick Queue at your disposal, so you won't have to wait in line, either. You're going to have a great trip!!!

Definitely do Dine with Shamu on one of your days, assuming its open by then (I will have my fingers crossed for you!!). Do the dining plan at least one day too. When you do the all day dining, I would avoid the Terrace Garden Buffet. It is probably the only restaurant in SW that we won't return to. Its not that its bad....its just that there are much better dining options in the park.

I would plan on setting aside some money in the budget to feed the various animals around the park, as your little ones will love the experience. Plan for some time at Shamu's Happy Harbour (where they will have lots of rides geared for the youngest guests) while you relax and watch them have fun. Also consider getting the photo CD.....save each of your photo receipts (given to you by each of the park photographers at the various picture locations around the park) and turn them in on your final park day. Save your Aquatica ones, too.....as I hear they can also be included as long as all pics are taken within a 7-day period. The Adventure Photo location at the front of SW will put all your family's pics on a CD for about $40, which is an awesome value....but they can only burn it once (you can't add in additional pics after the fact). If you choose to go with the CD, also ask if they have any frames you can add on for an additional small cost.....we got lovely SeaWorld themed frames for $5 each (they hold 6 x 8 pictures) when we were there a year ago. Along with the photo CD, they're the best park souvenirs ever.

There is a section of the park that offers carnival style games (where you can shoot basketballs into the hoop to win a prize, etc.). Some of these games are only a couple of dollars or so to play, and you get a guaranteed prize at the end (like a stuffed stingray, penguin, etc.). Some you play and get nothing (unless you "win"), so be sure to check that out before you play. Its a fun way to get a little stuffed animal for each of your kids as a souvenir. IIRC, you can also buy a card that gives you $25 worth of game play for $20, so if you think they will want to play a couple of times each then this could be something you want to do.

And be sure to come back and post a review of your trip once you're home. We all love to read about other family's adventures!!

THANK YOU GINA!!:lovestruc I am hoping for a great happy and relaxing trip for my family. Its been a rough year, and we really need it!!! We have been to disney many times, and I have never written a trip report. I plan for this trip to be my first. It just seems less overwhelming for me! I loved reading your report, and seeing all of your beautiful pictures! PLease keep fingers crossed for re-opening date for One ocean and Dine!! :yay:

Just posting to say that we are planning our first DC trip for the last weekend in Match, first week of April. Can't wait! I am a WDW expert, but no nothing about touring SW, DC, and Aquatica. I will begin my reading here on the DiS to get up to speed. We will be staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We also have some time planned at DisneyQuest and dinner at HDDR.

Just posting to say that we are planning our first DC trip for the last weekend in Match, first week of April. Can't wait! I am a WDW expert, but no nothing about touring SW, DC, and Aquatica. I will begin my reading here on the DiS to get up to speed. We will be staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We also have some time planned at DisneyQuest and dinner at HDDR.

Sounds like a GREAT trip you have planned :thumbsup2 . You have definitely come to the right place for gleaning info on visiting the SW family of parks :) .

Visiting the SW vs. Disney parks is really a whole different experience. And DC is an experience all in its own category.....its my favourite park in Orlando, hands down. Are you doing the dolphin swim?

If you have any specific questions, feel free to toss them out!

Here now!!!! DD still has NO clue what she's in for!!! We go to DC tomorrow morning!!!! I am so super excited. I'm praying no rain. 77 and 30% chance for tomorrow. So far the past week and a half has been amazingly great weather!!!!

Another newbie with questions, if you don't mind. I bought my tickets for November 9th, it's my mom's birthday and she picked DC as her gift.

How is the weather around that time in November?

I read the admission includes breakfast and lunch, plus unlimited snacks/water/soda, but what type of food do they offer you? Is it traditional American fare? I wonder if they have vegetarian options and what type of snacks are there.

Mom's on the plump side, around 200 pounds. Will the wetsuits fit her?

Also, reading the FAQ I discovered we can use the tickets to Seaworld prior to our day at DC. Has anybody else done that and how much of a headache it is?

Another newbie with questions, if you don't mind. I bought my tickets for November 9th, it's my mom's birthday and she picked DC as her gift.

How is the weather around that time in November?

I read the admission includes breakfast and lunch, plus unlimited snacks/water/soda, but what type of food do they offer you? Is it traditional American fare? I wonder if they have vegetarian options and what type of snacks are there.

Mom's on the plump side, around 200 pounds. Will the wetsuits fit her?

Also, reading the FAQ I discovered we can use the tickets to Seaworld prior to our day at DC. Has anybody else done that and how much of a headache it is?

Food: There are tons of food options to suit every taste. They have tilapia, chicken tenders, hamburgers, hot dogs, shrimp jambalaya, salads, pulled pork, macaroni and cheese, wraps and sandwiches, and the list goes on. For snacks and desserts, there was chocolate cake, fruit cups, jello, soft pretzels, lemonade slushies, ice cream bars, etc. Breakfast was your standard buffet including scrambled eggs, bacon, French toast sticks, yogurts, muffins, croissants, whole fruits, and the like.

Wet suits: Tell your mom to have NO worries about the wet suit sizing. My DH is a big fella.....6' 4" and almost 300 pounds.....and they had wetsuits to fit him with no problems (and some much bigger yet). I read somewhere that they go up to something like 6X . So your mom will be fit just fine :thumbsup2 . And if its a warm day, she can even forego the wetsuit and go with the vest if she finds that more suitable.

SeaWorld admission: easy peasy. Absolutely not a headache at all. Take your emailed ticket (which you would have received when you booked your DC admission) to the turnstiles at SeaWorld and you're in. Also, you get free admission to Aquatica as well for the same 14 days.......so be sure to try and visit that park, too, if you can! (its awesome)

Weather? I think you'll be fine. We went in January one year, and even in the middle of winter it was perfect. If the morning is a little on the cool side, they will put large heaters around the "dry" areas (like the outdoor seating next to the restaurant) so you can dry off and warm up. And the wet suits will also help keep you warm on a cooler day. And hey, its Florida......it might be absolutely gorgeous that day, comparable to a Canadian summer day :) . The average high in November is 79 degrees according to this link:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USFL0372

which, IMHO....is PERFECT!!!!!!!!

BTW.....what a great gift to celebrate your Mom's birthday :thumbsup2 . She is going to have a great time!

Thanks for the great answer Gina! The wetsuit really was my main concern and I'm glad we won't have a problem with that.

November weather doesn't sound too bad really and with the heated pools and wetsuits I'm sure we'll manage just fine.

Now we just have to wait another 308 days before our day visit to DC. I can be a good girl and wait... I think!

This was probably mentioned somewhere in the thread but incase it wasn't just wanted to say that when we were at DC last year I had read something about getting a parking pass at DC which we could use for 2 weeks at SW and Aquatica. Well I bought one and I think it was $25. We ended up going to SW twice and Aquatica 4 times so it was quite a saving for us. I just asked at the DC reception on the way out. I didnt see it advertised there and got talking to people at at hotel who had been and never knew anything about it.

We loved DC, I thought we would be bored but got there at opening and left at closing and sat on my sun bed only to apply sun cream. Out of 7 of us, 4 did the swim. We were in the water the whole day and had to plead with my son to get out of the manta pool. he just loved it (he is 13). We are going to go this year but wont do the dolphin swim so will have a bit more time. I didn't even see those green seats in the water and willd efinitely look out for them as looks like a nice place to relax.

This was probably mentioned somewhere in the thread but incase it wasn't just wanted to say that when we were at DC last year I had read something about getting a parking pass at DC which we could use for 2 weeks at SW and Aquatica. Well I bought one and I think it was $25. We ended up going to SW twice and Aquatica 4 times so it was quite a saving for us. I just asked at the DC reception on the way out. I didnt see it advertised there and got talking to people at at hotel who had been and never knew anything about it.

We loved DC, I thought we would be bored but got there at opening and left at closing and sat on my sun bed only to apply sun cream. Out of 7 of us, 4 did the swim. We were in the water the whole day and had to plead with my son to get out of the manta pool. he just loved it (he is 13). We are going to go this year but wont do the dolphin swim so will have a bit more time. I didn't even see those green seats in the water and willd efinitely look out for them as looks like a nice place to relax.

We inquired about the parking pass when we booked our tickets to DC for August 2014. They told me I couldn't add the pass until 30 days before our DC day, but if I called back in late July, they would be able to add it to my ticket and cabana reservation. I will agree that itis a GREAT value (though they quoted me $30, not $25......perhaps prices have gone up since your visit!) if you are planning on enjoying the Seaworld parks a few times during your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter