Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

I'm pretty sure we will see this rolled into hotel discounts to replace the meal plan discount.

Offering this as a as a discount instead of the meal plan improves their margin per guest since there is no longer a food cost associated with the discount - while still being able to charge the family for the food they are going to eat.

Simultaneously; as a discount they don't have to offer it to their captured audience (DVC) - increasing the spend there too.

The ADR system hasn’t changed. What’s changed with dining is that you can actually see wait times if you want to try to eat somewhere without a reservation, which is great.

I don't understand , you could always see your wait times. if you book your reservation 60 days out at 1pm and the only option they give you is to ride say thunder mountain is at 1pm that would be a bust. that would not happen on the old system. that is what i'm talking about you could plan your day out. this system does not let you do that. More or less your going to do a'lot less with this $15 system than the old one witch i'm sure is probably the goal.

Can't see anything in this announcement that is an improvement for our family. We normally do about 3 weeks at WDW. Buying Genie+ at $15/day and then the two LL+ for say $20 for one and $10 for the other adds $45/person/day to the trip. So for the 3 of us that is an additional $2,835 for something that isn't as good as what was free before.

I've got annual passes that I haven't activated yet, so I'll end up doing 2 more visits to see how things work out, but I am not very hopeful. Oddly enough my trip this Oct/Nov I'm staying 6 nights at Universal at Portofino and that with and annual pass and free express pass is not much more than the new upcharge from Disney would cost me, wonder which I will end up preferring to do?

So AP holders can’t purchase Genie + even if you’re staying on property? That doesn’t seem fair…

What I am not clear on is how much the tier one rides will cost. What the price tag to go on the SDMT per person on the FP line? $5, $10, $15, $20?!?

I know that I don’t have the popular opinion here, but I don’t mind this at all. I go to California and Florida every year and I actually enjoyed MaxPass more than Fastpass + in every way. It brings back the paper Fastpass time of a single ride at a time and the premiums are added, but I don’t think that’s going to be all that bad. I also love the ability to decide I want to decide to get Lightning Passes for Slinky Dog in the morning and Seven Dwarves later at night at the same time. As repeat guests we often hop around and not being able to get Fastpasses in more than one park was a pain. By the time we got to a second park, all of the headliners were gone. Now I wont

Here is why I think that. If you don’t buy it, you get in the standby line and I’m sure there will be fewer people buying rides each day than there were with Fastpasses. If that’s the case, the standby line will move faster and wait times should go down.

I also think this is the perfect time to roll this out. Disney can use this during a time where hotels are already pretty full and they don’t need to do discounts on rooms. Starting next year, I think you will see some kind of program built into Annual Passes, resort reservations, and DVC reservations that will either offer Genie+ or lightning passes into your stay.

Again, I know not the popular opinion, but I was in the process of buying DVC for the first time and this just made me happier with my decision.

So basically: Genie/Standby queue - Free
Genie + $15 a day. Can you pick and choose which days you do this? Can you pre pay before you leave for your holiday?
Lightning lane - Prices unknown. Will vary depending on ride? Only bookable on day. 7 am for resort guests? Max of 2 per day?
Das - Pre book via video call. Will this option be available for those living outside the usa?
Bob Paycheck is a greedy bugger?

So basically: Genie/Standby queue - Free
Genie + $15 a day. Can you pick and choose which days you do this? Can you pre pay before you leave for your holiday?
Lightning lane - Prices unknown. Will vary depending on ride? Only bookable on day. 7 am for resort guests? Max of 2 per day?
Das - Pre book via video call. Will this option be available for those living outside the usa?
Bob Paycheck is a greedy bugger?
From what I gather is if you want to pre pay you have to buy it for length of stay. If you wait til you arrive you buy it for the days you like.

The lightening lane is available for all ticket holders as long as they bought Genie+.

The only thing I don't like about this is that you can only hold 1 FP at a time. Once you use it you can then get another one. All in all I love this new system. Mainly it gets rid of the amount of planning.

I just don’t understand all the negative reception. For months we have known a paid fast pass program was coming. The gossip circulated that every single individual ride would be at least $10+ Per person. And this news release is only $15 per person for the entire day for the majority of the rides? It seems WAY better than feared. Yes, two top tier rides per park will be excluded but using genie+ for most of the day will free up time to wait in standby for those couple rides.

IDK, I just don’t get it. I’m honestly thrilled that I will have a fairly inexpensive way to speed up times in lines. Sure it’s not free like it used to be, but we knew times were changing and had ample time to wrap our minds around it. And it sure beats no fast pass at all…

My touring plan is to aim to jump in a virtual queue for one of the top tier (ROTR, Rat) and use TP/genie/genie+ throughout the rest of the day. And when I feel like waiting in a longer line, hit that other 1st tier standby line.

I honestly am relieved because I feared any fast pass option at all would be completely unaffordable. I personally think it’s a good middle ground and am excited to add genie+ to my tickets.

Last edited:
They market it as greater flexibility but if we have to make a park pass reservation in the first place then what good is the 'extra flexibility' about booking it on the day of etc. If i have to make a park reservation in advanced why can't i purchase and book in my first LP+ reservation in advance?

Considering tiers never worked anywhere except mk because there arent enough rides, who in their right mind would pay for tier 2 access at any of the other parks?

Thats a good point. I think we will see the tier system change a decent amount or else it would be worthless at Animal Kingdom. I could see FoP being the only tier 1 there. No one is going to pay extra money for an Everest LL+ when in the past they have been up for grabs for immediate return times. Maaaybe Safari? At Epcot it will obviously be Remy and Guardians when they open, but as is now I don’t think anything there is worth of tier 1. Studios we know Smugglers Run won’t be in the top tier so I could see it just being Rise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter