Disney Genie announcement

This is what Ive been wondering...as Fl AP we might drive over for a few hours. I thought that at park openin I could start booking my LL or ILL, even if I was still at home. Not happy if have to be actually have tapped in already to start getting rides booked. And can ILL be done at 7 or park opening if not resort guest? I know LL is 7 for guest only.

From what I read and understand. LL is open to everyone at 7 am. LL$ at 7 am resort guest only.

This right here is the sticking point: How quickly will G+ and especially ILL$ sell out? For everyone who wanted the BG lottery for RotR to end, this might just be another lottery, except one you have to pay for if you get lucky!

And, as a side note, as bad as IAS was, ILLS is worse--acronymishly speaking, that is.
I don't think Genie+ will sellout ever. With only being able to book 1 at a time and only next available it shouldn't sellout.

Oh I hadn't heard this! I don't see it in the Disney Parks blog announcement, but maybe I am missing it.
Are we sure you can only book each ride once via Genie+?
Can you show me where you see that?
thanks!
Repeating myself from another thread. It's not from Disney directly but after seeing it on several blogs including on the DIS, I tend to believe it is true:

Even Deni's article here on the DIS is reporting that. You may want to wait until first-hand reports come back after the 19th, but I find it difficult to believe that so many sources have this wrong.

"Essentially, a guest who purchases Genie+ is paying for the ability to be able to use Lightning Lanes (former FastPass queues) at attractions that have them in order to ride those attractions once."
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ney-world-oct-19-weve-got-all-of-the-details/

I'm looking forward to your impressions from your first trip. I trust you to give a fair evaluation of it. Please report back when you've had first-hand experience with it.

I will. Yes, we love Disney and we've been going non-stop since the parks open. I have trips booked in November, January, April and likely will add June. (normally do 4-6 weeks a year there) We lived for FP+, it was a true game changer for my son. DAS is nice but we rely mostly on FP+ and learned how to work it quite well all day long. It was not a broken system and open to everyone.

Do I like they are charging? No. But what that does do is put the pressure on Disney that it must work, it must have value and their app must work, their IT system must work or they will need to add a Lightning Lane for Guest Relations. When you start charging for something that was free you better greatly improve the product.

I will be fair - pros and cons - because FP+ was a critical part of our ability to travel to Disney so often. This summer we got to experience no FP+ and only SB. I felt like the parks busy not packed, dining was a big issue, but it was entire family so we "hung out" on our SB waits. We also skipped DHS where there are some long lines. I feel like with this system we will experience something between what has been happening lately and what we used to have with FP+.

Speaking for myself, we used to ride almost everything with Fastpass+—many rides more than once—and rarely, if ever, waited in long lines. Now, there is no way to recreate that experience. The closest you can come is to pay an additional ~ $140 per day for a family of four (Genie+ and two IA$), and even then you can’t ride anything twice without waiting in a long line.

Same. Rarely saw a SB line. I would love for it to stay free like it was, but the writing was on the wall watching the other parks. They could have gone the Universal route and we'd be paying $80 a person a day to enter each Lightning Lane just once. They have gone a much lower cost route with booking times. We don't know if we can get as much done because we haven't see it in operation. Honestly there will likely be many less using this than FP+ and with no inventory gone in advance like before it might be very workable.

I’m absolutely going to try it but here’s my concern:

You pay at 7am then select Jungle Cruise and the first available time is 8pm. Or, you get a ride at 8:30am when there’s no line anyway and then when you get off of it, the next available ride isn’t til 8pm.

I just don't think this will happen. It didn't happen with FP+ when people were booking 3 in advance and likely lots more were using it than will pay to use Genie+. And if this does happen they better expand GR because there will be lines looking for refunds.

And just like FP+ if you see a short line for something you had booked, you change it and get in the SB line.

At 7 AM, all guests who have purchased Genie+ can book their first LL reservation. You will be offered only "next available" time slots for each attraction.

I know people keep saying this but their recent information makes me wonder about this and even Disney says "next available time" (which is how we usually used FP+) but some of their wording makes me question this. "... lets you select arrival windows ...". Why would we be selecting windows if we are only offered one? It would read more like we select the attraction.

We will see soon, one thing I know is I don't think other than how to purchase it they have been very clear on the operation of it - maybe on purpose.

I know people keep saying this but their recent information makes me wonder about this and even Disney says "next available time" (which is how we usually used FP+) but some of their wording makes me question this. "... lets you select arrival windows ...". Why would we be selecting windows if we are only offered one? It would read more like we select the attraction.

We will see soon, one thing I know is I don't think other than how to purchase it they have been very clear on the operation of it - maybe on purpose.
I'm getting "next available" directly from the Disney website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/genie/

I'm getting "next available" directly from the Disney website:
View attachment 611595
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/genie/

No I did agree with you that they said that.

They also say purchasing the Genie+ ""... lets you select arrival windows ..." for the Lightning Lanes. Inconsistent information, makes me feel like they are so busy talking it up they aren't reading what they are saying. They are telling you how to buy this right down to the details .... but not very clear on how it will actually work.

I agree with all of your assessments. I think that we will probably pay for the same two individual attractions (FOP and ROTR), unless we're able to hit them with extended evening hours since we'll be staying at a deluxe resort. So far EEH has received very good reviews, but who knows if that will be continued and whether or not they expand to include all parks.

I am eager to read reviews once the program begins, but I'm guessing that we will purchase Genie+ for one day at each park with the exception of AK. It just doesn't seem worth it, especially if EE continues to have a single rider line, since there are not many attractions included. We'd be more likely to just pay for FOP and try to hit the other attractions with rope drop, extended evening hours or when stand by lines are reasonable.

I have similar questions about strategy. I also read speculation that they will only show you the next available time, I can’t choose a time 3 hours into the future if 1 hour away is available. I don’t necessarily want that because I don’t want to “waste” a pick on a short line of I’m RDing. I guess it’s all a wait and see, but I find this possible aspect annoying.

ETA-I didn’t read far enough to see the posts above mine talking about this. 🙂

My personal thoughts on Genie+ is I'm cautiously optimistic for it. I loved fastpasses and worked that system very well and always was able to get multiple fastpasses after my first 3 were used up. I rarely had to wait in standby and when I did, it was 20 minute or less wait. I'm assuming at this point that my ability to get Genie+ day of should be about the same as it was for Fastpass+. I will definitely be adding on the $15/day to my package tickets and will just be thinking of it as part of my ticket pricing. I'm not sure how often I will take advantage of the IAS offerings, but I do like that there is an option there for me if I really want to get on a super popular ride and don't want to wait. I see me taking advantage of this for the new rides I haven't been on yet like RoR, MMRR & Ratatouille.

A few things I'm waiting for more info on that will help with my planning...

I know you can only hold one Genie+ at a time, but can you hold both of your IAS at a time and/or can you hold an IAS and a Genie+ at the same time?

I know you can only ride the IAS attractions once per day to a max of 2, but can you repeat Genie+ attractions (assuming availability)?

How will this work with APs? I'm considering upgrading my tickets to AP this coming trip, but not sure the impact if I do. I'm assuming I would have to just purchase the Genie+ daily for $15 as opposed to purchasing it up front as part of my package, but I'm not sure.
As of right now, no the wording is you can't repeat rides with either genie+ or IAS

This is essentially maxpass with a twist and I am excited for that.

I still want to know about park hopping.

When will we be able to modify our tickets on our package to include it? Did anyone see that?

You are very, very much in the minority with that. Which is ok. Its often regarded as the best theme park ride in the world. I've ridden it about 15 times and I would gladly pay $15 for it every trip.
I’m with Tony. I mean, it’s a good experience, overall. It’s not the greatest ride. For me there isn’t a whole lot of re-rideability appeal for RotR. I mean, if it was still boarding groups and I got one I’d go on, or if the line wasn’t crazy…..but once you’ve done it once, and had that first experience, it doesn’t warrant a long wait to do it again and again IMHO, nor will I spend IA$.

Flights of Passage is, again IMHO, a much better ride with great re-ride appeal.

I'm not finding anything on the Disney website that confirms this. But many bloggers have reported it, including our own Deni Sunderly:

Similar to Disneyland’s old Disney MaxPass, only one selection can be held at a time, with the exception being when a guest’s next selection time window is more than 120 minutes away. In that case, Disney Genie+ will allow a second selection to be held.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ney-world-oct-19-weve-got-all-of-the-details/
Sorry, you are correct. I thought I had read it on the Disney Parks Blog, but it was on another site.
Here is the quote,
"Per Walt Disney World, Genie+ will provide guests the ability to book new ride reservations before using a prior one if the next available ride time is far into the future. Meaning that guests won’t be locked out of making new Genie+ selections if it’s the morning and the next available ride time isn’t until later in the afternoon.
To answer one very common reader question, Walt Disney World has officially confirmed that Genie+ will allow guests to make their next selection 120 minutes (2 hours) in the future even if they have not yet redeemed the first Genie+ selection. This is just like the former legacy or paper FastPass system–and how we’ve said this will work since the original announcement. Nevertheless, it’s nice to have official confirmation."
Thanks. I truly am hoping both of you are correct and that if a return time is greater than 120 mins out we can pull another one! Was just wondering if Disney had actually posted this on only bloggers. I'll hope the bloggers are correct.
I will. Yes, we love Disney and we've been going non-stop since the parks open. I have trips booked in November, January, April and likely will add June. (normally do 4-6 weeks a year there) We lived for FP+, it was a true game changer for my son. DAS is nice but we rely mostly on FP+ and learned how to work it quite well all day long. It was not a broken system and open to everyone.
Thank you @HopperFan! I know you will provide a very fair and honest review. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

I'm seeing the conflicting information being related to either Genie+ or ILL$. From the Disney website....

Option #1: Through Disney Genie+ Service
This new service lets you select the next available arrival window for the Lightning Lane entrances, one at a time, throughout regular park hours. More than 40 attractions and entertainment experiences across the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks are included in the service—from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (all experiences are subject to limited availability). Lightning Lane selections can even be made across multiple theme parks with the Park Hopper option. You’ll be able to make your first selection at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit. This service also includes access to interactive Disney PhotoPass Lenses and audio tales. It costs $15 per ticket per day.

Option #2: By Making an Individual Lightning Lane Entrance Purchase
Lightning Lane entry as an "á la carte" purchase will be offered at a few of our most popular attractions. This option can be purchased by all Guests—with or without the purchase of Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at the Lightning Lane entry at up to 2 attractions each day (purchased one at a time). Current example attractions include Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom park and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure at EPCOT. Guests of a Disney Resort hotel and other select hotels* can make their first purchase starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their visit. All other Guests can make their first purchase at the regular time the park opens. Pricing and availability will vary by date, attraction and park. Be sure to check the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit for current prices and attraction availability.

Quotes above from the FAQ section here: Get Ready to Unleash the Magic of Disney Genie Service Starting October 19, 2021

I'm seeing the conflicting information being related to either Genie+ or ILL$. From the Disney website....

This new service lets you select the next available arrival window for the Lightning Lane entrances, one at a time, throughout regular park hours. More than 40 attractions and entertainment experiences across the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks are included in the service—from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (all experiences are subject to limited availability). Lightning Lane selections can even be made across multiple theme parks with the Park Hopper option. You’ll be able to make your first selection at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit. This service also includes access to interactive Disney PhotoPass Lenses and audio tales. It costs $15 per ticket per day.

Lightning Lane entry as an "á la carte" purchase will be offered at a few of our most popular attractions. This option can be purchased by all Guests—with or without the purchase of Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at the Lightning Lane entry at up to 2 attractions each day (purchased one at a time). Current example attractions include Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom park and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure at EPCOT. Guests of a Disney Resort hotel and other select hotels* can make their first purchase starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their visit. All other Guests can make their first purchase at the regular time the park opens. Pricing and availability will vary by date, attraction and park. Be sure to check the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit for current prices and attraction availability.

Quotes above from the FAQ section here: Get Ready to Unleash the Magic of Disney Genie Service Starting October 19, 2021

This is def one of those points they are muddying the waters on explanations. There are a few places they continue to say that we have choices with Genie+. I know we'll know in a few weeks but it certainly is aggravating they are talking out both sides of their mouth.

Direct from Disney Website ~

What is the difference between Disney Genie service and Disney Genie+ service?
Disney Genie+ service is an add-on option offered for purchase that lets you select arrival windows for our new Lightning Lane entrance at select experiences throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Disney Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections
When you take your day to the next level by purchasing Disney Genie+ service, you can select arrival windows for Lightning Lane entrances that are available at more than 40 attractions and entertainment across all 4 theme parks, one at a time throughout the day.

Thanks. I truly am hoping both of you are correct and that if a return time is greater than 120 mins out we can pull another one! Was just wondering if Disney had actually posted this on only bloggers. I'll hope the bloggers are correct.
Thank you @HopperFan! I know you will provide a very fair and honest review. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

So according to the words I placed in bold above, onsite guests only get an advantage at IA$ and not G+......losing more and more of a reason to stay onsite.

So according to the words I placed in bold above, onsite guests only get an advantage at IA$ and not G+......losing more and more of a reason to stay onsite.
I interpret as:

Onsite guests with Genie+ can select their first Genie+ reservation at 7:00AM and, purchase 1 IALL$ selection at 7:00AM.

Guests who are not staying onsite who have Genie+ will also be able to select their first Genie+ reservation at 7:00AM BUT, need to wait until park opening to purchase their first IALL$ selection.

This is def one of those points they are muddying the waters on explanations. There are a few places they continue to say that we have choices with Genie+. I know we'll know in a few weeks but it certainly is aggravating they are talking out both sides of their mouth.

Direct from Disney Website ~

What is the difference between Disney Genie service and Disney Genie+ service?
Disney Genie+ service is an add-on option offered for purchase that lets you select arrival windows for our new Lightning Lane entrance at select experiences throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Disney Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections
When you take your day to the next level by purchasing Disney Genie+ service, you can select arrival windows for Lightning Lane entrances that are available at more than 40 attractions and entertainment across all 4 theme parks, one at a time throughout the day.
It is your bolded titles where I feel they are making the differentiation. One is 'Genie+' alone ($15/day) and the other is 'Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections' (attractions such as RotR, SDMT, etc.)

As you say, we'll know in 10 short days.

It is your bolded titles where I feel they are making the differentiation. One is 'Genie+' alone ($15/day) and the other is 'Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections' (attractions such as RotR, SDMT, etc.)

As you say, we'll know in 10 short days.

This is where Disney has already failed miserably --- the Individual Purchased Passes should not have been called the same thing as the Genie+ Passes. It is confusing on every level. Genie+ should have been "Magic Carpet Pass" and Lightning Lane should have stood on it's own as it is - a purchased pass. The actual lanes could have had two names on them in two colors so that both groups knew that is where they return. Instead we have them blurring the line with same names for two completely different products.

This is the page from the website. They are both called Lightning Lane, just one is Genie+ and one is Individual. You can see under Genie+ (only referring to using the Lightning Lane as a path to enter) is not the pay for pass and says you can select arrival windows.

The next one is the pay for pass where you can also select windows.

244277911_150066560669883_8333994814378622797_n.jpg

Good luck to anyone who just wants to wait on the normal lines. Disney will do everything in their power to make you pay. I expect it to be slow as hell. You know it, and I know it

I will never get over having to pay for something that was a beautiful perk and free for everyone. I don't blame them. Everyone complains. Everyone hated it. Everyone screamed. Disney said" Yeah so what, you're still going to come anyway " Same with the nighttime shows. They don't care cause people will still come. Who in the HELL wants to get up everyday at 7 if you are not rope dropping to book this? I sleep in till at least 8:30-9 on Disney park days. So instead of 60 days before being stressed. Now we get to be stressed every morning of our trip

And quite honestly, anyone who pays for this, has no right to complain about anything Disney does to nickel and dime its customers. If you want real change, hit them in the pockets and just don't go. If we just continue to go, we're the fools who just complain and still take it.

In the end, it is what it is and we're probably going to just accept this new Disney chapek + era. Remember folks, once this works, it will only get more expensive.. and we will be saying the same thing..with the same result

I hear you. We are NOT morning people. With Fastpass+ we could get up late morning and hit the parks with our afternoon fastpasses. We knew we had them, and we were good. THis is back to being the Wild West. I am SO disappointed. But it's Disney. I will outlive Chapek, that bastard. Hopefully things will be good again.

Man I’m still so angry about this. 7am!!! I need to wake up everyday of my trip at 7am if I want to book something. I want to sleep on my vacation also. I don’t rope drop. Now I gotta stress every morning of everyday of my trip if I wanted to buy this overpriced money grab. It’s ROTR lottery…everyday of your trip

I like sleep Disney. Comeon. It’s a vacation also. Don’t force people to wake up early
Yes yes yes!!!
We are also not morning people! We sleep in.
With Fastpass+ we booked our rides for late afternoon and slept in everyday. This early morning crap is...CRAP! SO disappointed!

This is where Disney has already failed miserably --- the Individual Purchased Passes should not have been called the same thing as the Genie+ Passes. It is confusing on every level. Genie+ should have been "Magic Carpet Pass" and Lightning Lane should have stood on it's own as it is - a purchased pass. The actual lanes could have had two names on them in two colors so that both groups knew that is where they return. Instead we have them blurring the line with same names for two completely different products.

This is the page from the website. They are both called Lightning Lane, just one is Genie+ and one is Individual. You can see under Genie+ (only referring to using the Lightning Lane as a path to enter) is not the pay for pass and says you can select arrival windows.

The next one is the pay for pass where you can also select windows.

View attachment 611613
I agree 100%!!! This is so much more confusing than it needs to be! I like your differentiation of titles too! Would easily make things so much clearer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter