Disney Genie announcement

The whole picking your arrival time is confusing. It says you can pick your arrival window but then I’ve seen it state that you can pick the next arrival time. I’m thinking it means you can pick the next arrival time by picking which attraction you want to do next. So if HM has a 12 pm arrival time but pirates has an 11 am arrival time then you’ve been allowed to choose your arrival time. But who knows.

Everything else I’m good with.

I think that's right. I think Genie+ will be like the old FP- (paper) where you got the next available time for that particular attraction.

ILL$ will be like FP+ in that it will give you a choice of available times.

What do you do if you bought tickets through an outside vendor? How do you add it on then?

Do you have your tickets linked to your MDE? If you do then Disney can see them and you should be able to add it.

The whole picking your arrival time is confusing. It says you can pick your arrival window but then I’ve seen it state that you can pick the next arrival time. I’m thinking it means you can pick the next arrival time by picking which attraction you want to do next. So if HM has a 12 pm arrival time but pirates has an 11 am arrival time then you’ve been allowed to choose your arrival time. But who knows.

Everything else I’m good with.

They have printed on their website BOTH, so we really don't know. Guessing we just have to wait and see in operation because they aren't giving out much info other than how to pay for it.

Do you think you can add it somehow in the MDE app?

From Disney website ~

" It will also be available as a single-day purchase through the My Disney Experience app. If you have an existing ticket, you will be able to modify it to include Disney Genie+ service within the app."

I hope so because if we have to call .... we are all doomed. I think they said you can go online and do after midnight of the day ... so makes sense we can do on our MDE.

It feels like they purposely want to confuse us.:rolleyes:

100%. The crazier you make people, the more they panic and the more likely they will spend the money without thinking it through.

A perfect example is the nightmare they created selling merchandise on Oct 1. People were throwing money at them for stuff if they thought about it, would realize is grossly overpriced.

I did a one-day, one-park ticket at Universal back in May. They wanted $200 for the Express Pass which was more than the cost of my park ticket. I’ll pay $15 a day (and the occasional extra for the IA$) all day compared to that.

I look forward to this release and can’t wait to have faster lines again. Disney is finally catching up to every other amusement/theme park by charging for access to express lines.

I did a one-day, one-park ticket at Universal back in May. They wanted $200 for the Express Pass which was more than the cost of my park ticket. I’ll pay $15 a day (and the occasional extra for the IA$) all day compared to that.

I look forward to this release and can’t wait to have faster lines again. Disney is finally catching up to every other amusement/theme park by charging for access to express lines.
The issue though is false equivalency between G+ and express pass. They are nowhere near the same products.

Last edited:
From Disney website ~

" It will also be available as a single-day purchase through the My Disney Experience app. If you have an existing ticket, you will be able to modify it to include Disney Genie+ service within the app."

I hope so because if we have to call .... we are all doomed. I think they said you can go online and do after midnight of the day ... so makes sense we can do on our MDE.

That is good news. What I'd read was to call Disney Reservations. I was trying to decide which I dreaded more, paying the $450 or waiting 10 hours on Disney hold.

The issue though is false equivalency between G+ and express pass. They are nowhere near the same products.
Very true, there’s no Express Pass equivalent at Disney, not really, anyway. Genie +, (and the old Fastpass system) is just a return time manager, whereas Universal’s Express Pass is a true, front of the line ticket that’s so immediate that it requires no planning at all

If they run the tickets like maxpass you will be able to buy tickets with genie plus included and tickets without it.
My guess is if you currently have tickets from an outside vendor not as part of a vacation package then you will want to buy genie plus daily while you are there. This is how maxpass worked. You just purchased it in the app and then you could start using it once scanned in the park.

so if you have tickets where it's not included And you can start selections at 7am- Disney has said genie plus purchase for the day will start at midnight for that day.... this doesn't mean it sells out and you need to be on at midnight- it just means that when buying it opens.

so if you are planning to buy it day of- and want to make a selection at 7am- I would make sure you have it purchased by 7am.

I know this is very new for WDW but the more info comes out about the more it is incredibly similar to maxpass just with those additions lightening lanes uncharged.

Because DisneyWorld will have early entry too for resorts guests let me tell you how maxpass worked for us on a Disneyland day during Christmas break crowds. The difference here is that at Disneyland you had to be scanned into the park to start using it while at WDW it will open at 7am. You all- THiS IS IMPORTANT- because if the info about 120 minutes before booking next one is true- then that means if you book one at 7- your next one is at 9. You will have entered MK at 830 for early entry. You could have rode 2-3 rides early entry, and have two lightening lanes booked by the time the park official opens. If those have fairly quick return times you could be booking your third lightening lane pass by 10-11am. And for those who want to purchase the lightening lanes- book those for the afternoon when crowds pick up.

we used maxpass at Disneyland during capacity Christmas crowds. We had what was known there at magic morning. We were in the park half hour early and booked our first fastpasses for offical Opening at 830. We could then make a selection 90 minutes later. By using magic morning to hit space mountain, fantasy land, and buzz light year and by 9am we were booking our second fastpass abs about to ride with our first.

I know this is a big change but it really does work well. And it's flexible. And we could stack a couple by watching them while on a hotel break for the evening.

And for those who don't want to wake up early it works good too! Once you wake up you can get on and start booking. Remember everyone else is still having to wait 120 minutes between booking or using what they have.

we will start figuring out which rides run out of lightening lane passes each day abs then those become the ones you wanna book first in your day. Example was at California adventure radiator racers would usually run out by early afternoon.

That is good news. What I'd read was to call Disney Reservations. I was trying to decide which I dreaded more, paying the $450 or waiting 10 hours on Disney hold.

Do you have a package? That might be different because it's something that if you cancelled, all would cancel. PP I was answering had independent tickets.

From website ~

"If you have an existing package, please call the travel provider who originally arranged your booking or the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-5277."

But it’s what we have and I’m choosing positivity. I had a great time at DLR with MaxPass and I’m sure I’ll do the same at WDW with this.

Selifishly, I hope most people don’t purchase it so I can have shorter lines! 🤣

If they run the tickets like maxpass you will be able to buy tickets with genie plus included and tickets without it.
My guess is if you currently have tickets from an outside vendor not as part of a vacation package then you will want to buy genie plus daily while you are there. This is how maxpass worked. You just purchased it in the app and then you could start using it once scanned in the park.

so if you have tickets where it's not included And you can start selections at 7am- Disney has said genie plus purchase for the day will start at midnight for that day.... this doesn't mean it sells out and you need to be on at midnight- it just means that when buying it opens.

so if you are planning to buy it day of- and want to make a selection at 7am- I would make sure you have it purchased by 7am.

I know this is very new for WDW but the more info comes out about the more it is incredibly similar to maxpass just with those additions lightening lanes uncharged.

Because DisneyWorld will have early entry too for resorts guests let me tell you how maxpass worked for us on a Disneyland day during Christmas break crowds. The difference here is that at Disneyland you had to be scanned into the park to start using it while at WDW it will open at 7am. You all- THiS IS IMPORTANT- because if the info about 120 minutes before booking next one is true- then that means if you book one at 7- your next one is at 9. You will have entered MK at 830 for early entry. You could have rode 2-3 rides early entry, and have two lightening lanes booked by the time the park official opens. If those have fairly quick return times you could be booking your third lightening lane pass by 10-11am. And for those who want to purchase the lightening lanes- book those for the afternoon when crowds pick up.

we used maxpass at Disneyland during capacity Christmas crowds. We had what was known there at magic morning. We were in the park half hour early and booked our first fastpasses for offical Opening at 830. We could then make a selection 90 minutes later. By using magic morning to hit space mountain, fantasy land, and buzz light year and by 9am we were booking our second fastpass abs about to ride with our first.

I know this is a big change but it really does work well. And it's flexible. And we could stack a couple by watching them while on a hotel break for the evening.

And for those who don't want to wake up early it works good too! Once you wake up you can get on and start booking. Remember everyone else is still having to wait 120 minutes between booking or using what they have.

we will start figuring out which rides run out of lightening lane passes each day abs then those become the ones you wanna book first in your day. Example was at California adventure radiator racers would usually run out by early afternoon.
Thank you for taking the time to post this explanation as to how MP worked for you at DL. Even though Genie+ isn't MP and DL is not WDW, much of what you wrote sounds encouraging for those who are willing to purchase Genie+. And you're right that with time, people will learn how to maximize it.

But I feel bad for the genie-pigs that will take one for the team next week. They're the ones who are flying into this blindly.

I find incredible that the communication from disney has been so poor about this. So many unanswered questions and uncertain points. I can't believe anyone booking any other holiday with so many unknown points, especially considering that time spent in a line could make or break a vacation.
I don’t disagree but we’ve been booked since 11/2020. We have adrs, boo bash tickets, and dessert party reservations. So we’re all in.

One possible reason to book Genie+ in advance for your whole trip: what if it sells out? I can imagine Disney limiting the number of Genie+ sales per day (perhaps on a park by park basis, based on park reservations). Otherwise, on a crowded day, too many people will buy Genie+, which will make the LL lines so long that everyone who bought it will complain about not getting their money's worth.

If there is a danger that Genie+ will sell out, you might want to buy it well in advance to make sure you get it before supplies run out. Which, in turn, will necessitate your purchasing it for your whole trip, including your EPCOT and AK days, even though it isn't really worth it for those parks given the no re-rides rule. Which, in turn, will make even more money for Disney.

On the other hand, I can see Disney selling Genie+ to as many people as are willing to pay for it, and when they complain that the LL line is 45 minutes long, saying, "Well, it's still less than half the standby wait, so you got your money's worth!"

What do people think? Will sales be limited?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter