Disney Genie announcement

Just went to Disney 10/21-10/24 and had Genie+ the entire trip - want to share what I learned in hopes that it may help others! We had a vacation package and were under the impression we had to buy Genie for the entire trip - whether I would do that again remains to be seen.

10/21 - DHS. Overall, G+ seemed worth it for DHS. We got there around 3:00 PM - but made our choices at 7 am - bought both MMRR and RoTR first thing for later in the evening and reserved SDD via G+ for around 4 PM. In retrospect it may have been possible to stack another G+ option after 11 am - but I didn't think to try this. We got to the park and did standby tower, then made it over to SDD. As soon as we were through both LL gates we made another G+ for toy story mania. In the mean time we did RotR and MMRR. After toy story mania we did standby smugglers run. We ended up walking on toy story mania again (because we couldn't reserve it twice via G+). Ultimately we only used 2 G+ that day - in part because we were able to do everything else we wanted standby.

10/22 - MK. Definitely worth it. Again woke up at 7 am - and bought mine train and made G+ for Jungle cruise at 9:15 am (Jungle cruise seemed to be booking up the quickest so we knew we wanted to book it first for an early LL. We had ETPE and got there by 8:30, but didn't try to rush on any rides after looking how quickly wait times went up. Instead we got food and casually went on the carousel. As soon as the rest of the park opened at 9:00 AM we headed to frontierland. We walked on splash mountain and then thunder mountain - the wait was maybe 10 minutes. We then headed to jungle cruise to make it before our window closed. As soon as we got on jungle cruise made another G+ selection for Haunted Mansion - which again I had been watching wait times/G+ options the prior two days and saw it booking up early. Then did standby pirates, got dole whip, then headed to haunted mansion (because we were booking G+ after going on a prior G+ selection we were able to make selections less than 120 min apart). So this doesn't become a 4 page post - we were able to to get on buzz light year, small world, tomorrowland speedway, magic carpet, and thunder mtn a second time all on G+. We did mine train and space mountain via LL$. We did standby dumbo, laugh factory, carousel of progress as well. We fit in every ride we wanted to and the longest line we waited in was 15 for laugh factory (not worth it!) - but for us G+ and LL$ were worth it.

10/23 - Epcot. NOT worth it. We booked test track via G+ - that's the only one we ended up using, they we had a another one for mission space. We were able to get Remy via virtual queue and got on by 1. Did Soarin, figment, spaceship earth, living with the land, and tres caballeros. There just aren't that many rides that require G+ at Epcot.

10/24 - DHS. We already did almost everything wanted on Thursday so it didn't feel terribly worth it to have a second day. We did not get up at 7 am or rope drop. We made G+ for toy story mania and after that we had lunch and then res at Oga's. We did standby Muppet Vision, and then did our second G+ lanes split up and did tower/rockin respectively. I think it would've been more worth it if we rope dropped, but we were worn out!

Overall, for us G+ and LL$ were definitely worth it since we hadn't been in years, it was packed, and we probably won't be back for years, but I can see how it may not be for others like AP holders and those who can go midweek. But there is definitely a skill/game to getting everything you want and you have to be watching what's available and what tends to book up quickly. Hope this is helpful in some way for others!
Agree. Main points are: when slow = don’t need it. When busy = won’t work. Repeat customers = diminishing margin returns.

poorly designed and flawed system. Could it be more confusing?

Okay I hate this system. Here now and the cannot even purchase. Staying at Saratoga Springs. Could not get it bought ahead of 7 or even at 7. Not genie plus or even an individual attraction. I got a blank box which is where something probably should have been and error messages. Changed settings, restarted app, reinstalled app, restarted my phone. Nothing. Nada. Frustrated I gave up. I did not want to trek all the way to get help from hotel staff and we needed to head to hollywood studios for early park entry. I changed all my plans and strategy and said screw genie. We managed to do every ride except rocking rollercoaster because of height. This includes Rise during standby. We did most rides twice including all of toy story, tower, star tours, and MMRR. Also saw the frozen show. We ate at sci fi for lunch and 50s prime time for dinner. We left right before park close. I do not feel genie would have been worth it...or even individual.

Now its 5 am on our magic kingdom day and I still cannot purchase genie plus. I also hate When I go to tip board it always defaults as animal kingdom and I have to manually change it every time. And sometimes it did not load. When I get home I see an email happening.

Okay I hate this system. Here now and the cannot even purchase. Staying at Saratoga Springs. Could not get it bought ahead of 7 or even at 7. Not genie plus or even an individual attraction. I got a blank box which is where something probably should have been and error messages. Changed settings, restarted app, reinstalled app, restarted my phone. Nothing. Nada. Frustrated I gave up. I did not want to trek all the way to get help from hotel staff and we needed to head to hollywood studios for early park entry. I changed all my plans and strategy and said screw genie. We managed to do every ride except rocking rollercoaster because of height. This includes Rise during standby. We did most rides twice including all of toy story, tower, star tours, and MMRR. Also saw the frozen show. We ate at sci fi for lunch and 50s prime time for dinner. We left right before park close. I do not feel genie would have been worth it...or even individual.

Now its 5 am on our magic kingdom day and I still cannot purchase genie plus. I also hate When I go to tip board it always defaults as animal kingdom and I have to manually change it every time. And sometimes it did not load. When I get home I see an email happening.
So sorry to hear all your trouble with Genie+! Are you by chance an international guest? I know that international guests have had all sorts of trouble. I do hope you have a great trip, regardless of all the trouble. Sounds like a great day in DHS.

I understand the email, but I hope you will go down and have someone help you fix it for this trip, since others are able to use it, maybe they can help you fix it, so you can use it this trip.
It could be an easy fix, and your email will be fairer if you at least tried to have them help you.

I think Disney will eventually need to move Universal's model. It's just two confusing for people. I don't understand how just one ILL$ ride selling out every day, could make enough money for a company like Disney. I can see how an overall added $50 a day for all the rides can make them money, and following Universal, 100 a day for sure could make a lot.

I think Disney will eventually need to move Universal's model. It's just two confusing for people. I don't understand how just one ILL$ ride selling out every day, could make enough money for a company like Disney. I can see how an overall added $50 a day for all the rides can make them money, and following Universal, 100 a day for sure could make a lot.

But they weren't making anything before on FP+ and Genie IT was already a work in progress, so it's sort of all profit... 15 a day per person adds up fast to an extra thousands of dollars per day even if only a couple of hundred people buy genie plus... then they all spend another 15 on ILL$ or more.... They're making plenty of money with this every day.

Just a note for International guests. Some are now able to get the tip board to work. It started working for me today and I received an email from Disney IT that they feel the problem should be resolved. I have replied to them that I am able to see it now (Canada, iPhone) but not all are able to see it yet so hopefully they'll continue to work on a fix.

More likely that they move to an an all ILL$ system where you must pay for every line skip, limit once per ride.

They may eventually do this, but don't expect it to be anywhere close to $50 or $100.

I was initially enthusiastic about Genie but having read multiple reviews here and elsewhere, it's a hard pass for me. Having to stay in an outrageously expensive WDW resort to get the full benefit of a line skipping system which doesn't seem to confer all that much benefit and then having to get up early, make reservations, run to rope drop and then bury my nose in my phone for hours a day? No thank you. Congratulations Universal and my beloved Royal Pacific Resort ... all the money I would have spent on tix, food, souvenirs for a few days at WDW will now go to Universal instead. More days at HHN? Yup. More meals and bevvies at CityWalk? Yup. More days soaking up the sun at Volcano Bay? Yup. More park days, sleeping in and lazily sauntering over to ride the Mummy as many times as I darn well want? Yup. That $20 Potter themed trinket I wouldnt have otherwise bought? Yup. There is really and truly nothing at WDW that justifies the expense and hassle. Any magic that existed has just disappeared. I guess there will be a 2 fewer people competing for ROTR ILL$. You're welcome lol.

Sorry about the terrible experience.

We were not planning to purchase Genie+ for every day, but now I am wondering if we should just go ahead and pay for the whole thing now.

I dread being up early for our first day at Hollywood Studios and being unable to pay for Genie+ for the day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I was initially enthusiastic about Genie but having read multiple reviews here and elsewhere, it's a hard pass for me. Having to stay in an outrageously expensive WDW resort to get the full benefit of a line skipping system which doesn't seem to confer all that much benefit and then having to get up early, make reservations, run to rope drop and then bury my nose in my phone for hours a day? No thank you. Congratulations Universal and my beloved Royal Pacific Resort ... all the money I would have spent on tix, food, souvenirs for a few days at WDW will now go to Universal instead. More days at HHN? Yup. More meals and bevvies at CityWalk? Yup. More days soaking up the sun at Volcano Bay? Yup. More park days, sleeping in and lazily sauntering over to ride the Mummy as many times as I darn well want? Yup. That $20 Potter themed trinket I wouldnt have otherwise bought? Yup. There is really and truly nothing at WDW that justifies the expense and hassle. Any magic that existed has just disappeared. I guess there will be a 2 fewer people competing for ROTR ILL$. You're welcome lol.
No, seriously, tell us how you REALLY feel! :hippie:

Sorry about the terrible experience.

We were not planning to purchase Genie+ for every day, but now I am wondering if we should just go ahead and pay for the whole thing now.

I dread being up early for our first day at Hollywood Studios and being unable to pay for Genie+ for the day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Nope.
But we got it for the whole trip just incase. Disney IT , isnt the most reliable and its one less thing to do in the am. Thay make it easy for you to get the whole trip, and hard for you if you dont. Its all part of the disney plan to make more money....um.....I mean disney magic!

Since it’s just youngest & I on our next trip, I went ahead and got Genie+ now. After watching a RixFlix (?) video of the first day I am :headache::rolleyes::scared: but hopefully the system is a little smoother by January? 🤞🏼

Aaaaaanyway, my questions for other prepurchasers are:

1. Does it show in the app that you have bought it? Doesn’t seem to for me (nor memory maker) but maybe when my trip actually starts it will?

2. I am 60 days out next week, but Genie says “you can make reservations in one day!”. I assume that’s a glitch, right?

Mine only shows if you look at the tickets. I will be there on the 2nd. The trip is highlighted on the calander in the genie ap. But thats just because were on property i think. And its showing our stay.

2. I am 60 days out next week, but Genie says “you can make reservations in one day!”. I assume that’s a glitch, right?
Yes, it's a glitch, unfortunately. When Genie has said "you can make ADRs today!" people who have clicked on it have been brought to the dining reservation site, which then didn't allow them to make ADRs because they were early. Apparently the people who programmed that part of Genie misunderstood the 60+length of stay rule and did it backwards. Imagine that - Disney IT messed up! :crazy:

Today in Magic Kingdom is a great example of why you shouldn't waste your money on Genie+ and IA$ (and it looks like people are not doing it)

Theres only 2 rides with an actual standby wait of 30 mins or more
1) Peter Pan is currently 40 (Note that it was down for some time today)
2) Seven Dwarfs currently 33

Every Genie+ return time is within 10 mins except Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan

IA$ for Seven D and Space return times are both within 5 mins....

People are not paying for this and good for them

You dont need to pay for it

The tip board is fun. It’s shown me that while I’m going to miss FP+ for my touring style, that G+ doesn’t fit it at all. We won’t be buying it. I don’t see the value. I’m sure you can work it well on certain days and truly get more rides. I have no desire to cross cross the park depending on the best LL that’s open. I can get everything I want done in Standby.

Ok if I was going on thanksgiving or Easter yes I’d probably buy it to help space things out.

Today in Magic Kingdom is a great example of why you shouldn't waste your money on Genie+ and IA$ (and it looks like people are not doing it)

Theres only 2 rides with an actual standby wait of 30 mins or more
1) Peter Pan is currently 40 (Note that it was down for some time today)
2) Seven Dwarfs currently 33

Every Genie+ return time is within 10 mins except Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan

IA$ for Seven D and Space return times are both within 5 mins....

People are not paying for this and good for them

You dont need to pay for it

Interesting. I've been watching a little but not today. This weekend should be different and good to compare.

Also will be curious if the times change at 2pm when any morning grabs of post 2pm times from people hopping. But I have to think the people even trying to do that (stacking for hopping) at this point would be a small sample.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter