Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does JCP accept gift card for 3rd party gift cards. I got a lot for Christmas. I can always use things from JCP but I would like to get some Amazon gift cards if possible.

On Christmas eve when it was busy, I went up with 12-$50 gift cards and 1-$25 gift card. I went to go swipe (trying to not show the card). When I went to swipe, they saw it and immediately said something to the effect of “Is that a gift card?” I said, “Run it like a credit card.” And they gave me some pressure, asked me to step out of line. I mentioned that I talked to corporate. He called corporate, they didn’t give him a straight answer. Then he called the store manager who said, “If it runs, it runs.” And it did. That was 45 minutes wasted looking back on it.
I don’t think you should’ve tried doing all 12 at once alone. Especially on Christmas Eve.

Does JCP accept gift card for 3rd party gift cards. I got a lot for Christmas. I can always use things from JCP but I would like to get some Amazon gift cards if possible.

While I have never tried it, the Terms and Conditions state "JCPenney gift cards are redeemable for merchandise or services (excluding gift cards) in JCPenney stores in the U.S. or PR, and jcp.com." So it would seem the answer is a no.

http://www.jcpgiftcard.com/terms-and-conditions/

I don’t think you should’ve tried doing all 12 at once alone. Especially on Christmas Eve.

I figured Christmas eve, large lines, they are trying to move the lines quickly. So I thought they wouldn't be as aware.

So were you able to use all 12 of the $50 cards? And if so, did you do them on separate transactions?

Yep, after 30-45 minutes of bantering, calling Corporate, they finally approved it via the Store Manager. $75 savings for a 45 minute hassle though. Not sure if it was worth it to me. I didn't feel the greatest after leaving there having that discussion in line with everyone waiting behind me.

Bought $100 Disney GC at Best Buy with Swagbucks every day since the 20th but no 750 swagbucks have posted yet. Please tell me I'm not the only one

I figured Christmas eve, large lines, they are trying to move the lines quickly. So I thought they wouldn't be as aware.

Yep, after 30-45 minutes of bantering, calling Corporate, they finally approved it via the Store Manager. $75 savings for a 45 minute hassle though. Not sure if it was worth it to me. I didn't feel the greatest after leaving there having that discussion in line with everyone waiting behind me.

I am glad that at least your 45 minutes of waiting got you to use it at the end; you could have waited 45 minutes and then being shot down.

I would be wary of calling corporate office in the future, every time one of us calls them it raises the chance that they will hard code their system and shut down gift card to gift card (like Best Buy and Target did - although recent reports seem to say that Target systems now allows it again.) Bed Bath & Beyond is definitely looking for ways to save money as they are one of the top stores on the list of possible bankruptcies for the future - they are getting killed by Amazon. I don't know what their margin on gift card sales is and whether gift card to gift card is profitable for them.

I know that happy gift cards are technically not gift cards but we don't know if Blackhawk Network eats the whole cost of them or they have deals with the listed stores and the stores eat some of the cost.

One last point about happy gift cards, as has been said many times before always have an exit plan because things can change over night. While we all know that happy gift cards work at Home Depot and BBB to buy other gift cards (I myself just used them to buy 14 gift cards at BBB in the last week), the FAQ on the happy gift cards page has the following:

CAN HAPPY CARDS BE USED TO PURCHASE GIFT CARDS?
No. In general, Happy Cards cannot be used to purchase other gift cards.

So we all have to realize they can make a change to their system any time to block gift card purchases.

... Second BB&B, I swiped but the cashier got a pop-up on their end saying it's a gift card. Then they asked to see the card and said I can't use it on a Disney gc. Even after I pointed out the credit warning, he showed me his screen that said it's too be treated as a gift card. Not sure if BB&B put in some check in their system to alert the cashier to not allow it to run?

I realize I'm replying to a comment from October, but when I was in BBB today, I was looking at the cashier's screen after I swiped my HC, and saw a pop up. It said something like "Authorized Value Card," and the cashier had to click on it before the transaction finished. I had no problem (churned 3 $50 HC for Disney in 3 separate transactions), but it looks like the system does have a way to distinguish prepaid cards like Happy Cards from true credit cards.

My guess is this is very much a YMMV situation regarding the instructions the cashiers are given for dealing with the pop up, but as I've had no trouble churning HC for other gift cards, I was surprised to see my store does actually have a pop up.

I realize I'm replying to a comment from October, but when I was in BBB today, I was looking at the cashier's screen after I swiped my HC, and saw a pop up. It said something like "Authorized Value Card," and the cashier had to click on it before the transaction finished. I had no problem (churned 3 $50 HC for Disney in 3 separate transactions), but it looks like the system does have a way to distinguish prepaid cards like Happy Cards from true credit cards.

My guess is this is very much a YMMV situation regarding the instructions the cashiers are given for dealing with the pop up, but as I've had no trouble churning HC for other gift cards, I was surprised to see my store does actually have a pop up.

I know they can definitely distinguish between prepaid cards and regular cards, in fact paypal always lists it as a prepaid card when I add a visa prepaid card to my wallet. Paypal Digital gifts recently froze my account from buying any gift cards because I tried to pay with a prepaid visa.

As I said above, BBB should only care if you use a Happy Card if they are sharing the cost of them with Blackhawk Network who issues these happy cards, but I don't know if that is the case.

Been buying from BB almost everyday this week and a 750 bonus hasn’t posted since 12/21... I know it can take a week sometimes but c’mon SB! You were posting these so fast earlier this month!

Been buying from BB almost everyday this week and a 750 bonus hasn’t posted since 12/21... I know it can take a week sometimes but c’mon SB! You were posting these so fast earlier this month!
Yikes. This makes me nervous. Hope it’s not dead and it’s just slow to post because of the holiday.

Yikes. This makes me nervous. Hope it’s not dead and it’s just slow to post because of the holiday.
My money- or I guess my SB- is on it just being a delay, I won’t be legit concerned until I hit 2 week mark. I’m still getting shop activity tracking. Major caveat: I only have 1 more purchase planned so that certainly helps my concern level!

My money- or I guess my SB- is on it just being a delay, I won’t be legit concerned until I hit 2 week mark. I’m still getting shop activity tracking. Major caveat: I only have 1 more purchase planned so that certainly helps my concern level!
I haven’t tried since I did a $500 gift card and got the bonus but no shop & earn. I’m concerned that I won’t get shop & earn on gift cards any more. I’m going to try a $100 gift card but will wait until the bonuses start posting again.

That Staples/HC/BBB combo worked well for me. Not sure what I’ll buy with $40 in BBB GCs, but if I do, my net savings will be over 40%. My chief issue was the nearest BBB not carrying Disney GCs, but the next closest did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter