Disney Gift Cards CAD & USD

CaperRD

Earning My Ears
Hello! Ive been reading a bit about using g/c on here, but still an unclear on what to do. Would love to avoid the foreign exchange fee on the cc we had planned on using.
1) I have a USD gift card (bought in the US). Can I increase the value of this card? Add $$ to it? I was reading I cannot transfer any CAD Disney g/c to it anymore?
2) if I do buy Disney gift cards here in Canada in whatever denominations they are available in, can I use them at restaurants, gift shops at Disney? With no extra fee, just the exchange rate at the time?
3) any other suggestions on paying the Disney bill without using the cc?
Thx!

Yes, we used to be able to add CAD to a USD card and “lock in” the current exchange rate. Not anymore, now you can only add US to US and CAD to CAD :(.

The CAD ones can be spent at Disney or phoned in as payment to a balance, converting to the daily rate.

If you’re close to the border you can hit Sams club for gift cards at a discount and use those to pay the hotel online. I’ve also used Canadian gift cards to purchase MNSSHP tickets online.

Hello! Ive been reading a bit about using g/c on here, but still an unclear on what to do. Would love to avoid the foreign exchange fee on the cc we had planned on using.
1) I have a USD gift card (bought in the US). Can I increase the value of this card? Add $$ to it? I was reading I cannot transfer any CAD Disney g/c to it anymore?
2) if I do buy Disney gift cards here in Canada in whatever denominations they are available in, can I use them at restaurants, gift shops at Disney? With no extra fee, just the exchange rate at the time?
3) any other suggestions on paying the Disney bill without using the cc?
Thx!
Denominations depend on where you purchase them. Some stores just carry $25, $50 or $100. I bought GCs at Safeway and i could choose how much I wanted. We use the GC for all food, & gift shops. No extra fee.

If you’re close to the border you can hit Sams club for gift cards at a discount and use those to pay the hotel online. I’ve also used Canadian gift cards to purchase MNSSHP tickets online.
Don't you need to have a Sams Club membership? I have thought about going a few times but not sure how it works.

Don't you need to have a Sams Club membership? I have thought about going a few times but not sure how it works.
My sister ended up getting one because they were doing a bonus gift card with it. She also signed up for the visa for the cash back as well. She saved more on the gift cards than the membership cost.

My sister ended up getting one because they were doing a bonus gift card with it. She also signed up for the visa for the cash back as well. She saved more on the gift cards than the membership cost.

Any idea what the discount on a Disney Gift Card would be at Sam's Club. It doesn't tell you on the website unless you join. Just trying to decide if it is worth it. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Ottawa but with a trip for 7 planned it might be totally worth it.

Any idea what the discount on a Disney Gift Card would be at Sam's Club. It doesn't tell you on the website unless you join. Just trying to decide if it is worth it. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Ottawa but with a trip for 7 planned it might be totally worth it.
The $500 ones are $485 and the $150 ones are $145. Between that and the cash back on the credit card it worked out to be a pretty decent discount. Much better than nothing plus 2.5% credit card exchange fee I’ve been charged on every other trip.

The $500 ones are $485 and the $150 ones are $145. Between that and the cash back on the credit card it worked out to be a pretty decent discount. Much better than nothing plus 2.5% credit card exchange fee I’ve been charged on every other trip.

Except that you propably paid that 2.5% forex fee if you used your credit card or exchanged CAD dollars to USD at your bank to pay for those GCs. The only way to avoid completely the forex fee is to have a credit card that doesn’t charge it or have some earnings in USD.

Except that you propably paid that 2.5% forex fee if you used your credit card or exchanged CAD dollars to USD at your bank to pay for those GCs. The only way to avoid completely the forex fee is to have a credit card that doesn’t charge it or have some earnings in USD.

The rate the bank charges is the same rate the credit card charges without the FX fee. So your not paying it if you pay in cash. I usually use a money exchange place here and change my money at below bank rate and then use cash when we go.

But it does only work if you buy in person in cash and not online unless you have a CC with no Forex fee.

I've started purchasing disney gift cards for my trip in December of this year. I've entered all on the gift card website and transferred them to my primary card. Is it safe now to just discard the empty ones? Should I delete them from my account at disneygiftcard. I have quite a few because I purchase in low amounts 50-100 each time. What do all of you do with them?

I've started purchasing disney gift cards for my trip in December of this year. I've entered all on the gift card website and transferred them to my primary card. Is it safe now to just discard the empty ones? Should I delete them from my account at disneygiftcard. I have quite a few because I purchase in low amounts 50-100 each time. What do all of you do with them?
I keep mine for about a year after I use them and then double check them before shredding. It will seem like a waste of time to some however I have found a few cards with smaller amounts on them for some reason and I don't like to throw money away. In theory you don't need to keep them once you transfer the funds to your main card but never hurts to check. You can for sure delete them from the website. Cleans things up a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter