• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Hotel Prices are Out of Control!

First, it's an opinion. Second, sounds like you've never been to a Six Flags park. Or, you've never been to Universal. If you have and you really can't differentiate between Diagon Alley and any area of a Six Flags park, well, I really don't know what to say.
I think they may be talking about the thrill rides more than the actual themed areas (which neither cedar point nor six flags have).

Rack rates for the deluxe resorts seem insane to me. I am staying at WL this year for 4 nights. It is expensive but clearly I am willing to pay it this time because of what I want out of this trip. That is the balancing/decision that goes into everyone’s planning. I would never say someone else is crazy for paying high hotel rates. I WOULD say it about myself if I gave in and paid some of the rates I saw available for my dates! Over the years we have done Disney just about every way except in a tent. lol. Last time at Christmas 2017 we were 5 real adults and stayed at Staybridge Suites in a 2 bedroom with a kitchenette. I had started out with a reservation at AOA and switched to OKW and then switched to the Staybridge with a AAA discount. Saved $2000 and had a great room and time. I know I can maximize my budget staying offsite instead of value. I used to love the moderate resorts but I seem to go deluxe or offsite these days. I will NOT go over $400 a night. Not going to happen. So obviously I will be priced out soon since WL is the only rack rate below my cut off and if all 5 of us go we cannot stay there.
My budget is not to pay over 300.00 a night. I did go over the budget last trip for a 317.00 a night AKL room. My problem is I have a love for the deluxe resorts. Next trip I think we will have to go with a split stay. Staying mostly at a moderate and only a couple days at a deluxe. What I’m wondering is how will they get the deluxe resorts rooms booked with such high prices. Is there that many rich people that go to Disney lol?

First, it's an opinion. Second, sounds like you've never been to a Six Flags park. Or, you've never been to Universal. If you have and you really can't differentiate between Diagon Alley and any area of a Six Flags park, well, I really don't know what to say.
Been to all many times. Universal in Los Angeles is better than than Orlando. But still, Six Flags they are. However. Cedar Fair parks like Kings Island And Cedar Point are better parks than Universal. So vacation time. It’s WDW or More so now DLR. Just a different level up from Universal. Always has been always will be.

Maybe, but that's not how it sounded. "Universal is nothing more than Six Flags on Cedar Point in a warm climate." It's just such a ridiculous statement.
It’s totally true. Non debatable.
Universal draw is thrill rides. Heck the two best thrill parks Is in Ohio
Universal to WDW. Is Knots Berry farm to DL.
But it all comes down to this. It cost what it cost to goto WDW. If it’s too much. Don’t go. If one feels it’s a great Vacation destination. Like We do. And a great value like we do. Then go.

Last edited:
That would be like someone saying all Disney is is young kiddy rides. Universal has thrill rides and Disney has young kiddy rides but that is not all they are. People can appreciate the theme parks in different ways.

That would be like someone saying all Disney is is young kiddy rides. Universal has thrill rides and Disney has young kiddy rides but that is not all they are. People can appreciate the theme parks in different ways.
Oh no. That’s not my intent. EE Rock n Roller and California Screamin in DL are imho great coasters. WDW does of course have thrill rides. Many of them.

Last edited:

I agree completely. Our first 9 trips were at Disney resorts, the last 6 at the Polynesian which certainly isn't one of the less expensive resorts. When we returned in May 2018 we originally planned to try the Contemporary for their least expensive Garden View room. The cost for 1 single room was around $5,000 for a one bedroom. We ended up going to the darkside with a non-Disney resort on property for a cost of $1,700 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with a full kitchen. The best part was that it had a washer and dryer so we could dry our shoes when it rained almost every day. I really hate to forgo the Disney magic but there is a point where you say "enough is enough".

But it all comes down to this. It cost what it cost to goto WDW. If it’s too much. Don’t go. If one feels it’s a great Vacation destination. Like We do. And a great value like we do. Then go.

I'd say it's debatable. I'm debating it with you. Do you know many coasters Universal has? 6, if you include 2 kiddies coasters. How many does Disney have? 8. There's thrill rides, then there are rides that are thrilling. Universal's theming and attention to detail is right up there with Disney. My favorite ride isn't the Hulk. It's the Cat in the Hat.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But I'll tell you this - If you tell 10 people that Universal is just like Six Flags, 9 will disagree with you.

Been to all many times. Universal in Los Angeles is better than than Orlando. But still, Six Flags they are. However. Cedar Fair parks like Kings Island And Cedar Point are better parks than Universal. So vacation time. It’s WDW or More so now DLR. Just a different level up from Universal. Always has been always will be.

Based on what? Total number of rides? If that were the case, they'd both be better than Disney. You know when I realized Universal was every bit in the same league as Disney? First time I went after the expansion and saw what they had done with Islands of Adventure and what they did with their resort hotels. And in 3-4 years, when the new park is done, they will likely have surpassed Disney. In terms of ride technology, they already have.

I'd say it's debatable. I'm debating it with you. Do you know many coasters Universal has? 6, if you include 2 kiddies coasters. How many does Disney have? 8. There's thrill rides, then there are rides that are thrilling. Universal's theming and attention to detail is right up there with Disney. My favorite ride isn't the Hulk. It's the Cat in the Hat.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But I'll tell you this - If you tell 10 people that Universal is just like Six Flags, 9 will disagree with you.
And the one would be right. Consensus doesn't make anything a fact. Im not saying Universal isn't nice...im just saying...it no different than Busch Gardens or any other theme park. WDW or DLR however is in a different and much better universe. Two different things...like milk and water.

Based on what? Total number of rides? If that were the case, they'd both be better than Disney. You know when I realized Universal was every bit in the same league as Disney? First time I went after the expansion and saw what they had done with Islands of Adventure and what they did with their resort hotels. And in 3-4 years, when the new park is done, they will likely have surpassed Disney. In terms of ride technology, they already have.
I know it's your opinion and all but based on what ride is Universal tech better than Disney? All I know it's not the animatronics cause nothing comes close to Disney in that regard. The only thing they're on par is the video tech for screens but after the fast n furious ride that kind of up in the air cause that was bad. So, so bad.

I know it's your opinion and all but based on what ride is Universal tech better than Disney? All I know it's not the animatronics cause nothing comes close to Disney in that regard. The only thing they're on par is the video tech for screens but after the fast n furious ride that kind of up in the air cause that was bad. So, so bad.

The animatronics in Gringotts are insane. Before pandora opened Disney had nothing close to that.

Last edited:

As someone else mentioned, Gringotts has amazing animatronics. King Kong is worth the ride just for the giant Kong at the end. It's more about the ride technology. Disney has nothing that compares to Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. I do agree about Fast and Furious. It's worse than Stitch. It's the worst attraction at any Universal or Disney park in Florida.

FJ, which a ride I can only handle every now and then, is quite impressive IMO with the Kuka arm and other features of the ride.

Fast N Furious wasn't quite open the last time I was there but yes I have heard it was a let down for many folks.

As someone else mentioned, Gringotts has amazing animatronics. King Kong is worth the ride just for the giant Kong at the end. It's more about the ride technology. Disney has nothing that compares to Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. I do agree about Fast and Furious. It's worse than Stitch. It's the worst attraction at any Universal or Disney park in Florida.
FJ, which a ride I can only handle every now and then, is quite impressive IMO with the Kuka arm and other features of the ride.

Fast N Furious wasn't quite open the last time I was there but yes I have heard it was a let down for many folks.

I'm not really that amazed by them, to be honest. It may be the low amount of movement they have thou. It doesn't help that if you do add anything past Pandora, including the new Hondo animatronic, they pale horribly in comparison.

King Kong was subpar and boring. Sadly, the animatronic doesn't fix that :'(

Spider-man is nothing to write home about anymore, to be honest. When it first came out, yes but now no. Not when the tech is behind the times even for a dark ride. Including if any of the rumors for ROTR are true, including their crazy amount of animatronics and trackless ride vehicles.

FJ is my favorite ride at universal now (RIP jaws :'( ) I will give u that. But it does suffer in the immersion department for me, sadly. I always hate when I see the arm.

I hope my rambling doesn't come off as hating universal, I don't. I actually like it far better than Disneyland and it sits nicely in second place behind WDW.

It doesn't help that if you do add anything past Pandora, including the new Hondo animatronic, they pale horribly in comparison.
Well at the same time couldn't it be said that Disney looked to Universal on how well the immersion factor of HP worked out? Maybe if HP hadn't been done at all I'm not sure Pandora, as it was done, would have been done. Disney is good at theming but full immersion IMO didn't really come around in either park in all honesty until HP came around.

(RIP jaws :'( )
Oh how I miss Jaws too. Always scared me as a kid but when I was an adult I came to appreciate it. Sad that it's no longer there in Orlando.

Well at the same time couldn't it be said that Disney looked to Universal on how well the immersion factor of HP worked out? Maybe if HP hadn't been done at all I'm not sure Pandora, as it was done, would have been done. Disney is good at theming but full immersion IMO didn't really come around in either park in all honesty until HP came around.

Oh how I miss Jaws too. Always scared me as a kid but when I was an adult I came to appreciate it. Sad that it's no longer there in Orlando.
That could be true, feels like it. Thou I do think pandora's floating islands take the cake. I'm always in awe at them and how they got around the engineering of it.

Still mad at Diagon alley for killing jaws. Have to take a moment every time I go to glare at it angrily before enjoying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter