• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney is hurting for cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely. Disney is not there as a charity to make your life easier. They need to make a profit, and this pandemic made that even harder for them. To liken the pandemic to karma for big companies is foolish and hurtful.

As for the 50th, don’t be surprised if prices are even higher than you’ve ever seen before.
Prices will be as high as they can be with people still filling the parks. That's how economics works. The prices during the 50th will almost definitely be higher because it seems like there is a huge demand.

I certainly hope that an effective vaccine is available soon, that it's utilized, and that we can get back to a semblance of "normal." I'm not optimistic that a significant proportion of the population will voluntarily get the vaccine though. I read a mainstream article about a COVID vaccine yesterday, and *every* comment was either a joke about the vaccine disfiguring people or outright antivax sentiment. Unfortunately, there is a lot of antivax and/or conspiracy theory mentality, and combined with the general difficulty in getting people to get themselves/their kids vaccinated normally, I'm just not confident that we'll see enough people get vaccinated. (People often argue that the HPV vaccine, which has been around for 25 years, is "too new" and refuse to get their kids vaccinated against a virus that can give them cancer; I think there's going to be a lot of ppl unwilling to get a brand new vaccine against COVID.) Obviously there are plenty of people who are unwilling to wear masks under any circumstances, but I think for a lot of people, masks will be around for a while.
There may be "a lot" of chatter on Twitter, FB, or wherever, but this is a loud but very small minority. Remember the vast majority of people don't bother to comment on these places, especially if they don't have very strong opinions. There is no point debating with anti-vaxxers or other nutters on their pet issues. Constructive dialogue is a thing of the past unfortunately.

I just read an article on line that if you take into account inflation and the number of attractions the cost to go to Disneyland in 1955 would be $217 per person. So, enough of this nonsense about how old lovable Walt has not a capitalist. He was and his creation has continued thru the years to be an expensive vacation that not everyone could and can afford.

I just read an article on line that if you take into account inflation and the number of attractions the cost to go to Disneyland in 1955 would be $217 per person. So, enough of this nonsense about how old lovable Walt has not a capitalist. He was and his creation has continued thru the years to be an expensive vacation that not everyone could and can afford.
Walt didn’t worry about money, that was Roy’s job.

Walt didn’t worry about money, that was Roy’s job.

Yeah, but it's not like he didn't know it was expensive. He wanted it to bring in as much money as possible so he could spend it! What I would say is that I have no problem with Disney charging high proces, but I do like to see it reinvested into the parks. They generally do a good job with that, though it does seem to run in cycled. They have been building a lot of stuff lately though, though the pandemic slammed on the brakes it seems.

30% doesnt pay the bills for studios or theaters. Theaters arent going to sell out 30% with classics either, so at that point it doesnt make sense to open until theres a new release.

And this is playing out now. Disney has pushed back Mulan (taken it off the calendar), which is causing AMC to panic since they planned to open Mid August because of Mulan and Tenet and a few others. With Disney pulling out of the game, the theaters are worried they can't fill that limited capacity to even offset the cost of operating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/media/disney-mulan-star-wars-avatar-delays/index.html

And this is playing out now. Disney has pushed back Mulan (taken it off the calendar), which is causing AMC to panic since they planned to open Mid August because of Mulan and Tenet and a few others. With Disney pulling out of the game, the theaters are worried they can't fill that limited capacity to even offset the cost of operating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/media/disney-mulan-star-wars-avatar-delays/index.html
I believe Tenet was also pulled off of WB release schedule. I don't see theaters opening any time soon in the US.

Precisely. Disney is not there as a charity to make your life easier. They need to make a profit, and this pandemic made that even harder for them. To liken the pandemic to karma for big companies is foolish and hurtful.

As for the 50th, don’t be surprised if prices are even higher than you’ve ever seen before.
Prices are higher every single year, higher than we've ever seen before.

They did give price protection. For example those that were moved from say All-Stars to Pop did not pay more to stay at Pop. They are paying their All-Star rate at Pop.
I guess I only heard about people getting moved to DVC and they weren't being price protected, maybe that changed and I missed it.

There may be "a lot" of chatter on Twitter, FB, or wherever, but this is a loud but very small minority. Remember the vast majority of people don't bother to comment on these places, especially if they don't have very strong opinions. There is no point debating with anti-vaxxers or other nutters on their pet issues. Constructive dialogue is a thing of the past unfortunately.
A lot of them are just trolls too. Both paid and bored.

Unfortunately, antivax sentiments are widespread, even among otherwise educated individuals; and not all antivaxxers or those who are "wary" of vaccines are vocal. I'm on the board of a medicine-related charity - we promote vaccination, and have trouble getting even legislators to listen, let alone the general populace. My close family member also sees a LOT of pushback against the HPV vaccine, despite HPV being responsible for almost all cervical cancers and many head and neck cancers.
Additionally, generalized polls regarding a COVID vaccine have not been favorable (from June 30: "Recent polls have found as few as 50% of people in the United States are committed to receiving a vaccine, with another quarter wavering.") Even among people I personally know, many have said they are uncomfortable with getting a "new" vaccine and would wait and see how the people who get it first are affected.
All of that combined does not give me confidence that a majority will voluntarily get vaccinated against COVID.
As a side note, I really hope that enhanced cleaning and a focus on proper hygiene is here to stay. How many times have we all gone into public bathrooms at Disney and elsewhere that have been badly neglected? COVID isn't the only communicable disease out there, and things like enhanced cleaning, widely-available hand sanitizer and hand washing stations, touchless technology (everything from faucets to payment options), etc all help mitigate the spread of disease.

You’re correct, but it became an American institution because of its availability from a price point. I really hope the person who posted the 1955 Admission price argument understands it that equals today’s price of 217 is uninformed on how money works.The average American Family of 4 today can’t afford 217 dollar tickets, that’s with family of two people working. The average wage for one person working in 1955 went SOO VERY MUCH FURTHER due to the cost of goods being much lower as compared to wages. Inflation and cost of durable goods has skyrocketed compared to wage growth. Per the KC Federal Reserve the average American today makes 25% less (When adjusted for inflation) than their Dad/Mom. The 1955 dollar cost is 16.17... news flash armchair economist wages have been flat for almost 30 years... YET COST GO UP EVERY YEAR!!!

I really wish internet economist would take a few finance classes before talking about monetary values. Disney is nowhere as affordable as it used to be. If your wealthy and can afford for go every or multiple times a year... that’s awesome. But recognize how blesed you are and stop pretending that the dream of a Disney family vacation is real for middle class families. I’ve been going along time... the level of upper class people has grown incredibly compared to what used to be day trip families.

Last edited:
No. I absolutely do not think it’s karma. Many businesses large and small are struggling right now. Disney is no different. Pretty messed up to think economic impact from a pandemic is karma for Disney being expensive.

And, no. I don’t think they should “give back” to guests. Discounts are great to entice people back, yes. But I don’t feel Disney owes me anything for choosing to pay to travel there in the past ... going to Disney is ALWAYS a choice.

I would prefer they pay their front line cast members better rather than give guests handouts.
Well then you would be the reason they keep raising prices. And not just Disney being expensive, but karma for everything. The way the world is, the complete hatred being spread..all of it. We've become just awful and we're destroying this planet. Seems like karma to me.

The point is they would have more guests coming now if they had been prioritizing loyalty over profits for the last decade. Even at 35 to 50 percent off, they are still fairly expensive.

That's hilarious. I still have tickets from the mid 80's that say $14. I'm sorry but $14 in 1984 was not the equivalent of $217.

Well then you would be the reason they keep raising prices. And not just Disney being expensive, but karma for everything. The way the world is, the complete hatred being spread..all of it. We've become just awful and we're destroying this planet. Seems like karma to me.

Karma isn't real.

A lot of our problems in this world would be solved if people really did just "follow the science".
:sad2:

That may be true, but the bigger point is that Walt wanted to deliver a quality product for the price, to the point of making sure the rides were paced properly so the guest got the best experience possible. A person doesn’t mind as much paying a premium price when they are getting a premium product. We just got to the point where the company was willing to seriously invest in the parks, and the virus hit. We will be getting a substandard product for the next few months, if not years, as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter