Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

I don't understand this cabin. I thought the storytelling behind Fort Wilderness is to set the guest in the American frontier. Am I wrong? These cabins don't feel consistent with the story telling at all. This just doesn't work for me.

My family loved the cabins at Fort Wilderness. It had the rustic woods-y vibe with an innovative feel. This new stuff is weird.

Like elsewhere on property, they're spending a bunch of money on more contemporary and trendy tones and finishes, which in 5 or 6 years will be "out". I don't understand this decision to not go all in on heavy themeing and storytelling regardless of current design trends, but then again they do a lot of stuff over the last 15 years I don't understand. I guess it must attract the DVC crowd.

Disney Legend & Former EVP of Disney Parks Dick Nunis Passes Away at 91

View attachment 817507

Nunis began his “summer job” at Disneyland prior to the park’s opening in 1955 after hearing about it through his University of Southern California classmate and Walt Disney’s son-in-law, Ron Miller.

Nunis worked his way up to attractions supervisor and developed the standard operating procedures for all attractions. He became director of park operations in 1961 and VP of operations in 1968. He was eventually named executive vice president of Walt Disney World and Disneyland, after helping to develop the latter.

“Walt believed strongly that what would make Disneyland different was the people — he wanted them to feel that they were part of the organization,” Nunis once said, via D23. “That’s why he established the first-name policy — he was Walt, I was Dick, and so on. From an overall operations point of view, the most important thing is to work together to make sure that when guests come, they have a wonderful experience.”

Nunis remained with the company in various positions until retiring in 1999, and was inducted as a Disney Legend in the Attractions category the same year.

D23 Profile - Disney Legend Dick Nunis
Isn't Nunis the one who ripped Disney Archives a new one during a D23 interview? :laughing:

On a serious note, it's very sad that we've lost so many of these legends. They really are what "Disney" was all about.

I don't understand this cabin. I thought the storytelling behind Fort Wilderness is to set the guest in the American frontier. Am I wrong? These cabins don't feel consistent with the story telling at all. This just doesn't work for me.

My family loved the cabins at Fort Wilderness. It had the rustic woods-y vibe with an innovative feel. This new stuff is weird.
These cabins confuse me because the exterior looks like a trailer park home and the interior has a southwest vibe (akin to the aesthetic in architecture found in Arizona/New Mexico) when I had thought Fort Wilderness had a Davy Crockett/American frontier theme.

Disney Treasure Update

The Disney Treasure

The Disney Treasure has reached yet another milestone in construction – the completion of its last block! In case you’re not familiar with this maritime milestone, it’s important to know that cruise ships are built in blocks (sections). With the last block in place, this means that the ship is now structurally complete and outfitting work can begin.

The last block on the Disney Treasure will eventually house areas such as the adults-only Quiet Cove area (including Cove Café) and Hero Zone, a futuristic sports arena where physical activity blends with imagination, offering highly produced show experiences in addition to free-play sports.

With this latest milestone reached, the Disney Treasure can now move towards completion of its interior.

Stay tuned to the ship’s log for more progress of the Disney Treasure, which is set to sail its maiden voyage in just over a year!

The Disney Treasure being built

Disney Cruise Line is making fleetwide changes to the age range for Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab. On sailings departing on or after Dec. 21, the age range in the Oceaneer Club and Oceaneer Lab will change from 3-12 to 3-10. Kids 11 and 12 may visit Edge.

View attachment 817893

Scott Gustin
I feel bad for families who booked intending for their 11 and 12yo to be in the Oceaneer Club and Lab. It's also about the freedom the Edge offers the kids. Some 11 and 12 yo are ready to move about the ship on their own but not all are.

I wish they'd given more than 2 weeks notice for this massive change!!

I feel bad for families who booked intending for their 11 and 12yo to be in the Oceaneer Club and Lab. It's also about the freedom the Edge offers the kids. Some 11 and 12 yo are ready to move about the ship on their own but not all are.

I wish they'd given more than 2 weeks notice for this massive change!!

Yeah, seems like a big change. I don't know why there couldn't be a little overlap in the age ranges, maybe a year. Some kids will like different things than others.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter