Disney raising Genie+ pricing effective immediately

An absolute shock to nobody. People will keep buying.

Inching toward the goal of having 20 people in each park who can afford the $25 Million/Day admission. They can sub-lease all but the monorail hotels and start charging admission to Disney Springs.

Love that they keep pushing. Can’t wait for the eventual implosion.

Classic Disney. Create a problem that doesn't exist, charge to solve said problem with a solution that's broken.

Once people are forced to buy your product because of the problem you created, start to jack up the price.

Go to the Universal model and be done with it already. At least it would be a decent product then.

Go to the Universal model and be done with it already. At least it would be a decent product then.
Imagine the news headlines.

"Disney attacks the middle class saying 'You can't come here anymore'.
Disney increases Genie prices by over 1500% from $15 to $250"

Disney would never survive that bad press.

It would only come off that way due to many having the mindset you have to have Genie+ or a skip the line pass to enjoy the parks. We all hate waiting in lines. Hate to break it to you but waiting in line is part of going to theme parks.

It would only come off that way due to many having the mindset you have to have Genie+ or a skip the line pass to enjoy the parks. We all hate waiting in lines. Hate to break it to you but waiting in line is part of going to theme parks.
I agree that the headlines would not match reality.

In reality, a family of 4 can vacation at Disney for 2 WEEKS for $4000. Tickets, off-site hotel, bring food and drinks to eat into parks, drive instead of fly

A family of 4 can also vacation at Disney for 2 DAYS for $4000. Park-hopper tickets, Genie+, On-site hotel, Eat many sit-down and character meals in the park, pay for after-hour events, fly.

But the media loves the headlines of how expensively it can be done, and acts like that's the norm

Here is my poor man 2 week vacation:
10 day tickets good for 14 days: August 13-26, $577/person (total: $2308). Hotel Monreal Express International Drive Orlando ($59/night): $762. Drive from New York: $400 - $350 in gas roundtrip and $50 for hotel along the way. Total cost about: $3600. (And then buy food for sandwich packed lunch and dinners at supermarket for $400 or less)

Here is my rich man 2 day vacation:
2 day park-hopper tickets Dec 24-25: $404/person, Genie+ $88/day = $1792. Grand Floridian 2 nights: $2200 (this is probably too low, they'd probably opt for something bigger). 2 sit down meals x 2 days = $400x4=$1600. Breakfast at Grand Floridian and Snacks in park: $800. Souvenirs: $2000. Flight first-class from NY: $1500/person = $6000. Total cost: $14,400.

Most people aren't on either extreme, but either can be done.

Last edited:
I agree that the headlines would not match reality.

In reality, a family of 4 can vacation at Disney for 2 WEEKS for $4000. Tickets, off-site hotel, bring food and drinks to eat into parks, drive instead of fly

A family of 4 can also vacation at Disney for 2 DAYS for $4000. Park-hopper tickets, Genie+, On-site hotel, Eat many sit-down and character meals in the park, pay for after-hour events, fly.

But the media loves the headlines of how expensively it can be done, and acts like that's the norm

Yeah, that's what I always tell people when they ask how much "a day" is at Disney. Yes, if yu buy ONE day, it is expensive. But if you buy for a week, the cost per day drops significantly. Focusing on the most expensive possible scenario is just as disingenious as focusing on the absolute lowest cost option. For most, that won't really be the case.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I always tell people when they ask how much "a day" is at Disney. Yes, if yu buy ONE day, it is expensive. But if you buy for a week, the cost per day drops significantly. Focusing on the most esxpensive possible scenario is just as disingenious as focusing on the absolute lowest cost option. For most, that won't really be the case.

I'll often tell people to compare it against other forms of entertainment they enjoy, as well. A ticket to a Broadway show can be a couple hundred dollars, green fees for a round of golf on a nice course can easily be a hundred dollars, etc. Prices on those things have also gone up over the years. Nobody likes paying more for anything, but people can get tunnel vision focusing on just the particular thing they are looking at.

Are there cheaper things to do for a day, sure; are there more expensive things to do for a day, sure. Whether someone finds value in the amount spent over the dollars per hour is up to that person, but Disney does not stand alone in cost.

It would actually make the general admission waits more tolerable. The data already exists when fastpass went away.
not really you also have to take into account that park attendance was lower when they got rid of FastPass. At the time that they implemented Genie + and lightning lanes attendance was already on the rise and wait times would probably have gotten back to what they were before Fastpass was first implemented

not really you also have to take into account that park attendance was lower when they got rid of FastPass. At the time that they implemented Genie + and lightning lanes attendance was already on the rise and wait times would probably have gotten back to what they were before Fastpass was first implemented

If that's the case then why does it work at Universal?

Disney has survived lots of "bad press." A certain crowd likes to complain about how they are "too woke" but whenever I go to the parks I see plenty of people at rope drop who just stepped out of Duck Dynasty casting.

Because universal sells less express passes per day and has less visitors per day as well. As much as people want to compare the two resorts on an even level there is one.

And that's exactly what a $250 genie plus would do. Less people buying it.

Yes, they do have less visitors per day than Magic Kingdom, but with the latest attendance numbers they have more or equal to every other park.

The base level of this debate is that Disney feels like they can make more at $30 for everyone vs $250 for a select group. They don't really care if you I or grandma have to wait longer in the 140 degree heat, so long as we aren't prevented from maximizing our per guest spending.

The base level of this debate is that Disney feels like they can make more at $30 for everyone vs $250 for a select group. They don't really care if you I or grandma have to wait longer in the 140 degree heat, so long as we aren't prevented from maximizing our per guest spending.
If Disney raised the price of Genie+ to $250 there would be MORE grandmas who have to wait longer in 100 degree heat. (As most can't afford $250 vs $15)

Right now, MORE people can get out of the heat with the cost $15-$22. So, it seems that Disney DOES care about your grandma more, and Universal doesn't. Universal only cares about those guests who give them a lot of money.

(meant to be a reaction to your outlandish idea that Disney doesn't care about your grandma)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter