Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motion sickness is the reason why we did not go back on after riding it from HS to EPCOT. I could barely walk off, my skin was clammy. Still stuck on the bus, but grateful to be stuck on the bus instead of in the air. I hope your friend will be okay. I put my head back and close my eyes.

Attachments

• 4625E10C-6124-4705-84F8-3C655546250B.jpeg
    4625E10C-6124-4705-84F8-3C655546250B.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 123
With the lack of people in that photo it can’t be the supposed accident site. I’m wondering if it was taken by people who were evacuated off the Skyliner... Can CMs put as many gondolas as possible in the station to get guests evacuated quicker?
I'm not sure. I've been told that a sensor went bad and caused an incoming gondola to not slow down. But that is one answer out of a thousand. I was also thinking why they couldn't just take the damaged cars off the line but I remembered this is at Rivera and the storage is at CBR so that makes things harder.

Gondolas are interesting. Especially if you get goofballs who try to "swing and Jump" in the cars. That could easily cause a derailment.

You guys do realize that these things were tested 10x longer than they would be in any other circumstance. Testing only does so much.

Sorry but spare me. I mean yes, perhaps to a point, testing only does so much. But there's no excuse for a brand new attraction to have as much down time as it's had this week, let alone a crash. There's a problem somewhere. They better suck it up and do the right thing and put these out of service until it's found.

Sorry but spare me. There's no excuse for a brand new attraction to have as much down time as it's had this week, let alone a crash. There's a problem somewhere. They better suck it up and do the right thing and put these out of service until it's found.
I’m not saying there isn’t a problem. Certainly it seems that way but obviously testing without any people didn’t find that problem.

Sorry but spare me. There's no excuse for a brand new attraction to have as much down time as it's had this week, let alone a crash. There's a problem somewhere. They better suck it up and do the right thing and put these out of service until it's found.
I really think it's just nature of the beast. Any type of cable lift will have issues like this no matter who made it and where. Beyond testing this has just been opened to the public meaning they are having to constantly do loading procedures and special ones for handicapped people. There is a lot more happening in those stations and on those lines now than there were during testing.

Sorry but spare me. I mean yes, perhaps to a point, testing only does so much. But there's no excuse for a brand new attraction to have as much down time as it's had this week, let alone a crash. There's a problem somewhere. They better suck it up and do the right thing and put these out of service until it's found.

Yes this 100%

I know how much they have been tested. I have been watching them test for months but clearly something has gone wrong the last 2 days or so.

I really think it's just nature of the beast. Any type of cable lift will have issues like this no matter who made it and where. Beyond testing this has just been opened to the public meaning they are having to constantly do loading procedures and special ones for handicapped people. There is a lot more happening in those stations and on those lines now than there were during testing.
Is it confirmed that the incident occurred at Riviera, or was there just a backup there? Curious if the only non-specialized station for accessible load/unload caused the issue with the slowing of the line?

This is true, when we got on Sunday night we had a double stroller with us and the first cast member let us all get on with the stroller going in last. A second cast member then came over and told them the stroller had to go in first, then the rest of our party, so they stopped the whole line so we could reload (embarrassing!)

These are the things that don't really come up in testing without real people.

Seeing all of the various stops they've had since he system started, including this 1, makes me wonder if the problem really isn't people who are riding the system, not the system itself! Even though this is the same type of system that is put in at ski resorts, the riders are very different.

At ski resorts the riders ride the lifts multiple times per day many days of the year. I'm sure most of the people riding the Disney system have never written a gondola in their life. In addition the gondolas are being loaded with young children, adults, grandparents, strollers, wheelchairs etc. The much wider range certainly is bound to cause problems. Unfortunately these problems can't be worked out over time because majority of the people visiting don't visit regularly enough to know how to use the system.

Is it confirmed that the incident occurred at Riviera, or was there just a backup there? Curious if the only non-specialized station for accessible load/unload caused the issue with the slowing of the line?
Nothing is confirmed as of now. But from all of the reports everything is fine at both epcot and CBR stations. I'm pretty sure Riviera is where it happened, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter