Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

They can pretty much open them shortly after the cabling is finished, which does not take very long usually. The biggest factor after that will be construction nearby, so if it is show ready, and also the training that Disney wants to conduct. This is their first Gondola operating in 20 years, but not their only chairlift. So while the system may be ready for passengers, they may still hold back the opening for a little bit for other things.

Pretty sure I read something about a couple months or more of testing and training after they have everything done.

I have to wonder if the late Spring/early Summer estimate was allowing room for cable scheduling, that if for some reason they fell behind and missed the December window, the cables couldn't be hung again until somewhere around April. I remember seeing somewhere earlier in this thread that there aren't many people who can weave the two ends together and your schedule is dictated by their availability.

They can pretty much open them shortly after the cabling is finished, which does not take very long usually. The biggest factor after that will be construction nearby, so if it is show ready, and also the training that Disney wants to conduct. This is their first Gondola operating in 20 years, but not their only chairlift. So while the system may be ready for passengers, they may still hold back the opening for a little bit for other things.

I also don't know how the Riviera construction fits into this, and that station. Also, they may want to get the Ratatouille construction further along so Gondola guests don't see a construction zone

Pretty sure I read something about a couple months or more of testing and training after they have everything done.
I also don't know how the Riviera construction fits into this, and that station. Also, they may want to get the Ratatouille construction further along so Gondola guests don't see a construction zone
Basically the Gondola will be finished, but they'll fill in that other construction time (France and Riviera) with training time for the Gondola. And then there's also the question of when all of the cars will be delivered. That's something that could keeping them from opening as well.

I have to wonder if the late Spring/early Summer estimate was allowing room for cable scheduling, that if for some reason they fell behind and missed the December window, the cables couldn't be hung again until somewhere around April. I remember seeing somewhere earlier in this thread that there aren't many people who can weave the two ends together and your schedule is dictated by their availability.
Ultimately, the vast majority of lift cabling is done April-October, during the off season for ski resorts. Come April they'd be competing with those resorts again. Cables can go up in a week or two. The cable splicing is something that not many do, but it isn't all that different than splicing a ship's lines, it's just done over a much larger length.

I'm not sure how far along each station really is. Hard to tell from the outside. Certainly there is allot of work remaining on the grounds. I wonder if the electrical service is installed yet.

I'm not sure how far along each station really is. Hard to tell from the outside. Certainly there is allot of work remaining on the grounds. I wonder if the electrical service is installed yet.
I know each station has back up generators installed.

I’m not sure this will be the exact redundancy setup, but this is from a fairly recent Doppelmayr publication (8/2016) and has been implemented in a few European builds as of the date of the article. Looks like 3 possible drive mechanisms. Pretty impressive.

“With Doppelmayr’s Recovery Concept, dramatic and expensive rescues are no longer necessary. Cabins with passengers remain comfortably intact and would simply be returned to the station with one of the Concept’s alternative drive mechanisms,” says Tom Sanford, VP Sales of Doppelmayr USA.

Doppelmayr-Recovery-Concept-602x276.png

Recovery Concept. Image by Doppelmayr.

Major features of this system include:

• Main drive mechanism has an auxiliary motor in case of primary motor failure
  • Coupling can be detached from bullwheel to allow emergency drives to take over in case both primary and auxiliary motors fail
  • Each bullwheel is equipped with an emergency bearing allowing rotational movement between emergency drives on either side
  • Special tools installed which lifts the cable back to normal position in case of derailment
  • Special tools, such as permanent crane facilities, to remove blocked cabins
“We’ll never completely eliminate the need for rope rescues but, with Doppelmayr’s Recovery Concept, nearly all of them are now prevented,” says Sanford

I’m not sure this will be the exact redundancy setup, but this is from a fairly recent Doppelmayr publication (8/2016) and has been implemented in a few European builds as of the date of the article. Looks like 3 possible drive mechanisms. Pretty impressive.

“With Doppelmayr’s Recovery Concept, dramatic and expensive rescues are no longer necessary. Cabins with passengers remain comfortably intact and would simply be returned to the station with one of the Concept’s alternative drive mechanisms,” says Tom Sanford, VP Sales of Doppelmayr USA.

Doppelmayr-Recovery-Concept-602x276.png

Recovery Concept. Image by Doppelmayr.

• Coupling can be detached from bullwheel to allow emergency drives to take over in case both primary and auxiliary motors fail
  • Each bullwheel is equipped with an emergency bearing allowing rotational movement between emergency drives on either side
  • Special tools installed which lifts the cable back to normal position in case of derailment
“We’ll never completely eliminate the need for rope rescues but, with Doppelmayr’s Recovery Concept, nearly all of them are now prevented,” says Sanford

That's impressive!

I just hope that everyone looking at the diagram realizes that it's not to scale (i.e., the cabins are not that small or high up in relation to the stations) and that the reference to "dramatic and expensive rescues" refers to rescues from high above steep mountainsides!

What's the alternative to "comfortably intact"?:worried:

I get the sense that this an optional upgrade, in which case there's no guarantee that it will be included on the Skyliner.

Hi, just wondering if I were to board at IG would I be allowed to ride all the way to Pop/Art of A resorts and back again without getting off? Just curious as I see this as a new attraction that I do plan on riding. I still have concerns about how this will affect my access to Epcot at IG, that is something that we will all have to wait and see. Thanks in advance. :-)

Hi, just wondering if I were to board at IG would I be allowed to ride all the way to Pop/Art of A resorts and back again without getting off? Just curious as I see this as a new attraction that I do plan on riding. I still have concerns about how this will affect my access to Epcot at IG, that is something that we will all have to wait and see. Thanks in advance. :-)
No, you would have to transfer at CBR from the Epcot line to the Pop/AoA line. You might also have to get off at Pop, and requeue for the return ride.

I get the sense that this an optional upgrade, in which case there's no guarantee that it will be included on the Skyliner.
If there are back up generators at the remote stations they probably definitely have this. My understanding is all the main drive motors will be at the CBR station.

Is this the first gondola type system in the State of Florida? Wondering because if it is the first, the licensing boards will have to go through a more extensive list, than say in the northeast where gondola systems are well established. This extra inspection, due to inspection teams to learn their jobs, might make the turn up a little slower.

Yeah I saw that too . Gotta believe it is a “lost in translation” statement. Sit in your car with the doors closed (what a concept) and ride back to the nearest station. No rapelling . I am going to be very surprised to learn they built without the triple redundancy, especially on the AOA line over water. Doubtlessly they build with local generator backup at the CBR drive hub. Adding the end point redundancy of the third option would seem cheap insurance. Cheaper than buying Reedy Creek Fire new high rescue trucks and gear. JMHO

Yeah I saw that too . Gotta believe it is a “lost in translation” statement. Sit in your car with the doors closed (what a concept) and ride back to the nearest station. No rapelling . I am going to be very surprised to learn they built without the triple redundancy, especially on the AOA line over water. Doubtlessly they build with local generator backup at the CBR drive hub. Adding the end point redundancy of the third option would seem cheap insurance. Cheaper than buying Reedy Creek Fire new high rescue trucks and gear. JMHO
They'll have to purchase evacuation gear regardless of the backups. They do not cover every possible outcome. They probably already have some they can use from the lift they already run, but they'll need some more.

Not a huge update, but happened to catch the painting of the IG station on Thursday ... they were hand-painting:

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 157

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter