Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Two ways to warn guests that they will share with strangers: (not for Riviera station)
1. Rectangles with spots inside painted on the boarding area platform. CMs direct riders to stand on the spots in advance of the arrival of more empty gondolas.
2. A single rider line (might be for twosomes also) possibly splitting off within 20 feet of the boarding area as opposed to extending out the full length of the regular line.
(Copied from another post) I suggest no more then eight spots in each rectangle although up to two additional children would be permitted to join them.

cameras in the gondolas ...
Would cameras be subject to suffer tampering like the safety kits were?

Small enclosed space with the potential to be stuck for a long time (using a "waste" bag).
(Mission Space) Small enclosed space with the potential to be stuck for some time (using a "barf" bag).

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like they're running this morning. I'm meeting friends at AoA so I parked at HS since that's where we'll be going, and it's closed. They had some times posted they'll be running some parts in the afternoon. The trail that runs from Caribbean to Epcot is stopped though, not even testing that one

Disney stated today HS would be closed all day, and the other lines only open from 1-10:30PM. Thursday and Friday all lines are only open from 1-10:30PM

Doesn't seem like they're running this morning. I'm meeting friends at AoA so I parked at HS since that's where we'll be going, and it's closed. They had some times posted they'll be running some parts in the afternoon. The trail that runs from Caribbean to Epcot is stopped though, not even testing that one

Yup - this was announced when they re-opened (from the official site):
  • Oct. 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 17-18: All lines will be open from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Outside of the 2 people that came to the skyliner forum just to tell us they won't ride, i'm genuinely excited for this new transportation and can't wait to ride them when i visit in January.

It appears that all they did was remove some gondolas, that would increase the spacing while maintaining the speed that they move. By doing this, you increase the amount of time people load (very slightly) but still more time.

I'm curious though if Disney has announced that they will be operating early on special occasions (marathons) or if it will likely just be a set schedule each day.

People mover.

I think the loading issues will get worked out. Disney has a huge and very good industrial engineering department (the types of engineers that design assembly lines), they will get it figured out. I could see them adding numbers to the ground and releasing people in order of number like ToT, or adjusting fencing to help "push" people towards the cars in time.
I have never seen anyone have to sit next to a stranger on the People Mover. Each party has their own car (or 2, if needed).

Imagine there is a line. Uner a one party per car policy single riders will get their own car.

It seems to me it could work as a guideline, but not as a rule.

Outside of the 2 people that came to the skyliner forum just to tell us they won't ride, i'm genuinely excited for this new transportation and can't wait to ride them when i visit in January.
This isn't the Skyliner forum and this thread has over 10,000 posts. There are plenty of people who said they aren't comfortable riding, for whatever their own reasons are. It's like some personal affront to some people they don't want to ride. :rolleyes:

Not Disney, but the Hogwarts Express seats multiple groups. I consider it a ride/transportation. The trip is shorter and not sure if they have cameras but there is no view into the train from the outside. At least some of the Gondolas have a clear view from the outside. While most people would probably prefer their own gondola, it doesn't seem practical, especially during busy times and for small parties, if the primary role of this is efficient transportation.

I'm curious though if Disney has announced that they will be operating early on special occasions (marathons) or if it will likely just be a set schedule each day.

Based on the known and estimated courses for RunDisney events, none of those start or finish lines would be serviced by the Skyliner. It is reasonable that the Skyliner would have normal hours for RunDisney events.

Two ways to warn guests that they will share with strangers: (not for Riviera station)
1. Rectangles with spots inside painted on the boarding area platform. CMs direct riders to stand on the spots in advance of the arrival of more empty gondolas.
2. A single rider line (might be for twosomes also) possibly splitting off within 20 feet of the boarding area as opposed to extending out the full length of the regular line.
(Copied from another post) I suggest no more then eight spots in each rectangle although up to two additional children would be permitted to join them.

Would cameras be subject to suffer tampering like the safety kits were?

(Mission Space) Small enclosed space with the potential to be stuck for some time (using a "barf" bag).
I don't ride Missiin Space either.

People mover.

I think the loading issues will get worked out. Disney has a huge and very good industrial engineering department (the types of engineers that design assembly lines), they will get it figured out. I could see them adding numbers to the ground and releasing people in order of number like ToT, or adjusting fencing to help "push" people towards the cars in time.
This is kind of like what they did on the ski lift in Gatlinburg. People are sorted out and waiting when the gondola arrives. As a single rider, i rode with a family with little kids each time.

It appears that all they did was remove some gondolas, that would increase the spacing while maintaining the speed that they move. By doing this, you increase the amount of time people load (very slightly) but still more time.
The cabins are still leaving the station at the same 10-11 Second interval the used before the accident. I don't see how that matches with the idea that they removed cabins. That would mean you would have to speed them up inside the station resulting in less load time.

It's more like I don't "need" to ride it either as a form of transportation or to try it as a ride-attraction...and for that I'm grateful. There are plenty of rides ive tried because they are attractions but once was enough to convince me my time is better spent elsewhere. Flight of Passage. Mission Space. Rip Ride Rock-It. Manta. Bungee jumping lol.

I'm not comfortable with this particular form of transportation for a variety of reasons, much like I'm not comfortable flying. I will do it if I must to get from point A to point B but I don't like it. Sure it may be irrational, but we are imperfect beings eh?

The cabins are still leaving the station at the same 10-11 Second interval the used before the accident. I don't see how that matches with the idea that they removed cabins. That would mean you would have to speed them up inside the station resulting in less load time.

Not necessarily, you can maintain the same speed, but by removing one cabin from the line you increase the gap so the crowding is less. A better question would be "How many gondolas leave within a minute", and then compare it to what the rate was before.

It's more like I don't "need" to ride it either as a form of transportation or to try it as a ride-attraction...and for that I'm grateful. There are plenty of rides ive tried because they are attractions but once was enough to convince me my time is better spent elsewhere. Flight of Passage. Mission Space. Rip Ride Rock-It. Manta. Bungee jumping lol.

I'm not comfortable with this particular form of transportation for a variety of reasons, much like I'm not comfortable flying. I will do it if I must to get from point A to point B but I don't like it. Sure it may be irrational, but we are imperfect beings eh?
If you have no interest in riding it, or the busses, why do you keep posting in this thread? What's the point?

Oh I didn't realize I needed permission to share my thoughts about the faults I see in the system. Sorry.
New information is welcome but you have mentioned numerous times that you take your own car and that you will not ride the skyliner. We appreciate that but do not repeatedly need to be told the same piece of information over and over and I believe that was what was being mentioned.

Possibly you could start a thread for those who don't want to ride the Skyliner. I know there would be a number of people who share your views and would probably appreciate having others of like mind to chat with.

This isn't the Skyliner forum and this thread has over 10,000 posts. There are plenty of people who said they aren't comfortable riding, for whatever their own reasons are. It's like some personal affront to some people they don't want to ride. :rolleyes:
Not a personal affront, just strange when people are trying to get info on what’s current state of the skyliner to just keep reading that people will not be riding. That’s cool, I’m good with it. But, what’s going on with the skyliner?
I’m more interested in learning if it will be open with regular hours when my trip starts.

I’m hoping it’ll be running the 20th because I have a droid build, then want to rush back to POP to change and go to typhoon lagoon. If it’s down, I’ll have to take an Uber to get back to the room faster. I think it’ll take too long to wait for the bus at 10am.

Not a personal affront, just strange when people are trying to get info on what’s current state of the skyliner to just keep reading that people will not be riding. That’s cool, I’m good with it. But, what’s going on with the skyliner?
I’m more interested in learning if it will be open with regular hours when my trip starts.

I’m hoping it’ll be running the 20th because I have a droid build, then want to rush back to POP to change and go to typhoon lagoon. If it’s down, I’ll have to take an Uber to get back to the room faster. I think it’ll take too long to wait for the bus at 10am.
If they aren't running you will probably be okay to take a bus. When I was there I had a similar situation and also thought I'd wait a long time for a bus but buses arrived frequently to drop guests off at the park so it was easy to find one heading back to Pop even earlier in the day. In my experience it was easier to find a bus at 10am than at 2pm. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter