• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Valet Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree totally with your thoughts on the transportation, Pam. It was less than 10 years ago when we needed to show a park ticket to ride the monorail as an off site guest and when we had to show resort id's to get on the Disney busses.

Part of me wonders, with the way some folks get so confrontational and violent in certain situations, if Disney management is avoiding creating situations where bus drivers, guards, etc... will have to turn folks away. Maybe a fear of some gun toting maniac hi-jacking a bus because they were refused admittance or something (images of Chevy Chase are running through my head....) is a factor. Lets face it, an incident like that would be a pr nightmare. Perhaps those who would push the matter would be more easily deterred by a fee than by a polite "I'm sorry, you must have proper ID to use this service" But, I still think a well enforced restriction would be a better way to handle it....not a risk of alienating loyal guests.

As far as other hotels charging for valet parking....WDW has to recognize that they are unique in the # of hotels, restaurants, etc... they have available. Outside of WDW, in other areas of the country its unlikly a person would find reason to valet park more than once in a day. It apparent to me that at WDW one could be using this service many times per day and countless times during the course of one vacation. As far as the Swan/Dolphin charging for valet parking...aren't their restaurants the ones always offering some sort of discount? Perhaps the charge is a deterrent to those who would otherwise be interested in visiting?

Totally OT, but how do you get the quote function on here to work with copy and paste? I can't seem to do it.

Does anyone have a suggestion of who we can write to about this? I'm really annoyed at this! I always valet park when I visit a hotel to eat.

I suppose it is at least something that DVC Members will not be charged the valet fee at VWL and BWV even if they are not guests. It is not always convenient to use the bus transportation to get to the other resorts for say a character meal, or nice dinner, however. I agree the instituting of this fee may have something to do with the number of guests who park at the resorts in lieu of the park lots to visit the theme parks.

There is a debate now in progress on this issue over on the Debate Board. We may of course continue to discuss the subject here as it pertains to DVC members, too. In case you are interested in the debate on the subject, here is the link:\

click here

Most places valet park as a means of enticing you to use their resort or restaurant. It is done as a courtesy to the customer/ It is a shame to see Disney nickel & dime everyone because they know you will need to park, Enough is charged for park admission and hotel fees without this extra charge. :mad:

Third hand, but I heard that Universal in Orlando is charging $11 to valet park.

This last saturday night my hubby and I stayed at a nice hotel in our area, just for a night away. Parking for hotel guest was $10 a night for self-park and $12 for valet.

We were shocked. Beyond that there was no other overnight parking options. This information wasn't given out at the time of our reservation.

I am not saying we are getting a good deal with the $6 rate, just thank goodness we still have other options for parking. We typically (or should I now say...used to) park ourselves and walk in, with the occasional use of the Valet. This might remove that occasional luxury. I will say that we tipped out valet this weekend and since there job hasn't changed I think I would still tip the WDW valets as well.

it costs $20.00 to park your car at Giants Stadium. It costs $8.00 to Park at Yankee Stadium. It costs $8.00 to park at Great Adventure I don't see the big deal.

Joe In CT

..... we stayed in Boston a few weeks ago_Over night parking was $29.00 a night,self park or valet.

It just gets irratating that every time you turn around in WDW the mouse has his hand in your pocket. After reading complaint after complaint on this board I wonder sometimes why I want to spend all my vacation time there each year.

I spend a lot of time in Boston. Lets hope Disney doesn't get that bad. The Disney experience has been special over the years precisely because after you paid your park and lodging costs you didn't always have to have your hand in your wallet. If they don't wise up they'll lose customers.

The simple solution is if you are a Disney resort guest who used to enjoy the "free" valet parking option...let's be honest it was never "free", then there are plenty of restaurants in the nearby Disney area that do not charge you to park and have much more reasonable prices. Where this $6 fee could become a real problem is if you are attempting to go to say Chef Mickey's during a busy time of the year and they won't let you self-park...only give you the option of paying $6 plus a tip for valet. Same goes for Y&B and dining at Cape May.

I don't understand the discussion about this is a way to get at Disney guests who were "avoiding" the parking fee at the theme park lots...that parking is free to all resort guests...or at least it was yesterday...they may be planning on charging for this also.

What I don't get is one of the reasons that the Disney resorts as a group, of which the DVC resorts are a part of sort of, justify charging high prices for essentially 4 square wall rooms with great theming is the additional perks....free transportation to the parks, free parking in the park lots, and until recently free valet parking. The word "free" isn't really free by no means. We pay more for these rooms to help pay for these "free" things...one that apparently is now gone unless we DVC members are visiting BW or WL.

I don't understand the discussion about this is a way to get at Disney guests who were "avoiding" the parking fee at the theme park lots...

Not WDW resort guests but offsite folks who don't have an AP or some other ticket that includes parking They tip $1-$2 at the valet rather than pay to park at the theme parks. Quite a few people have also recommended parking at the Contemporary or an Epcot resort for convenience to the park. Maybe the parking lots and valets just can't handle traffic that is using the resort lots as theme park lots. I wouldn't say Disney is getting back at these people, they may just have a problem with volume of usage.

I think sharing information on the Internet has created a lot of problems. It was a manageable problem when guide books offered out "tips" but when these ideas are then broadcast to the world there could be problems of over usage. Several years ago the guide books shared the "secret park" at Epcot for fireworks viewing. This got so overrun that Disney shut it down except for private parties. I'm wondering how much longer fireworks viewing at the Contemporary will be allowed on the deck. It's one thing for Contemporary guests and a few others to enjoy the view. It's another for hundreds of people a night to catch on to the idea.

I like the idea of validation when using a resort restaurant (or maybe even for shopping). Let's hope Disney gives that some consideration.

PamOKW,
Bravo, you and I were thinking along the same lines.
Thanks to those and the tour books who suggested parking at the resorts to escape the park parking lot fee, then, when they said "use the valet", they used it and it will cost us all in the end.
BTW, the cost for using Universal resorts is almost twice this.
Personally, I don't have a problem with this. I use valet at BW and at PI (we are annual passholders there and there is no charge). We park at the racquet club at the Contemp and have no problem.
IMHO, much ado about nothing.
I really don't think they will be charging registered guests at the individual resorts for valet parking.
IE: if you are a guest at the GF, I would assume ( I know bad) that valet would be included.

Hi, just had to talk about this valet parking thread. We just got back from 3 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel, and 4 nights at Boardwalk.
As I was going to park valet, at HRH, the sign said $17 per 24 hours!!!!! I almost had a cow, and decided to park the car myself, which I did! Now, I am paying $140 or so per night, and I MUST pay $17 ON TOP OF THAT! Ridiculous!!
So, the next day, I had to go out and get something, and parked my car in self park, and went by the valet thing at HRH, and asked the guy, hey, if I stay here, are those the rates? And he said no, If you stay here, it is only $10 per day to valet! Now I don't know about you, but that is HIGH! In Atlanta, the Braves game is $10 or so to park, or cheaper farther out away from the stadium.
Now as BWV, I feel that people will have a hard time finding a place to park that are staying at BWV, as people will not pay that, I know, some will, but hotel guests will not find a place to park.
HINT: can you imagine going out on Friday or Saturday night, and refusing to pay valet, you look for a self parking place and it is 11pm? GOOD LUCK!
As for us DVC'ers, this is no problem, but I think it is a stupid thing for Disney to do, but what do I know?
Just my .03 cents worth, or should I say my $6 worth!
deerh:(

Living here in Chicago, I have no problem paying 6-10 dollars to valet park at a restaurant in a neighborhood where parking is at a minimum (pretty much in the whole city!).

However, WDW has TONS of space at each resort in which parking could be made available! My whole problem with this policy has nothing to do with the price. It just seems like just another way that Pressler, Eisner and Co. are putting the Guests second and their huge yearly bonuses first!

I would love to hear one of the "Accountanteers" explain the fiscal prowess of this new policy!

As Emperor Kuzco said before falling off the waterfall . . . "Bring It On!"

I remember when I used to park at the other resorts (other than the resort I was staying at) and use the transportation into the parks. I would think, "this is great as long as too many people don't start doing it". Then, as the DIS grew larger (just one example), people would pass this "tip" on in the interest of being helpful. The problem is, you've just told 26,000 people to go park in the Contemporary lot because it's more convenient than having to deal with the main lot!!

I stopped driving to the other resorts a couple years back, after it became painfully obvious to me that it was only a matter of time before Disney would be "forced" to deal with the parking situation. They've tried the little guard house, that didn't seem to help much because people would insist they were there for a meal and get upset if the guard didn't let them in. Some people would even make a PS just for the parking verification, with no intention of even showing up for it!! Let's face the horrible facts people, the honor system only works if people are honorable. There are way too many people in this country who are convinced that their "one car" isn't going to upset the parking system.

I believe the valet parking is partially paid for out of our maintenance fees, which would explain why it's still free for DVC members at DVC resorts. I'm sure this action is going to force more people to actually use the free Disney transportation instead of driving their own vehicles. My past few trips, I've parked my vehicle at check in and not seen it again until checkout.

The next thing I would expect to see is the DVC members, who don't have a car, complain that they shouldn't have to cover the cost of valet. Then, Disney will remove it from our maintance fees and force us to pay at the DVC resorts also.

How does this effect ap holders? Does anyone know yet?

My last trip to WDW (first as DVC members) I used valet. We had only used it sporadically over the years. I felt like a princess - I called from my room, and the car was waiting for us! I tipped when I picked the car up, and also when I dropped it off. Just when I thought "I could get used to this" - they start charging! $6 per day, plus 2 tips will make me plan more. We are the type of family who are always running late, and valet parking for dinner really helped out! I feel sorry for the valet CM's - how will this affect their income? Seems to me, Disney needs to address the problem of locals abusing the system.

I don't feel any guest staying on property - regardless of the resort- should have to pay for valet. We have already opted to pay a premium price to stay on property. We are paying a premium price to go out and eat at Disney resort restraunts.I would assume the vast majority have paid for some form of park pass. Disney is offending it's loyal guests by charging them another 6 bucks. Off property or local folk should not be offended by this- but they will be- because it seems most other places are doing the same thing and are actually charging more.

I was told by my sales guide that Disney does monitor this board as well as others and try to remedy problems that they see us post about. I think the last "pool hopping" info WDW posted shows they attempted to clear up a lot of gray areas. A popular complaint here has been the abuse of parking- especially at BW- by non resort guest. We stayed at BWV in May. The only reason I valet parked was because it was a ten minute fiasco to find a spot that was half a mile away. Basically it was cost effective to valet.If the 6 bucks keeps just half the freeloaders out of the lots it will be a help but I suspect they will still use the lot and either self park or just stiff the valets.

If the intent of this fee is to fix the parking problem then I'm glad they're trying but I think it's a poor attempt. I don't know why they don't just put gates at the lot entrances that require a resort room key which you simply insert to open gate. They could even set aside a portion which is intended for guest staying at other on property resorts who wish to use the restraunts. PS could easily match parking capacity to seat availibility. Valet parking would still be an option for ALL guests but free to all on property guest.I think this would work.

DisneyHumbug,
If you are a DVC member you don't pay the 6.00 for valet parking at BWV or Wilderness.
Since you will most probably stay at one of these two resorts as a DVC member, you really have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter