• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Valet Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gail - yes, thanks for clearing that up. But I am more concerned about going to another resort for dinner - last week we went to Boma (and of course we were running late) and we valet parked there. Sometimes those lots are really full and it becomes a long walk. When I think about it, though, I'd rather pay $6 at WDW than park in my driveway for free - at least I'd be on vacation.

When I think about it, though, I'd rather pay $6 at WDW than park in my driveway for free -

Bingo! Disney just closed another "loophole" and everyone is up in arms. In another month, this will be a forgotten event.....you may remember the rhetoric that followed when the term for an "annual" pass was reduced to 12 months.:smooth:

When I think about it, though, I'd rather pay $6 at WDW than park in my driveway for free -

Actually, we can still park for free. We just can't expect someone else to park for us for free (except DVC members at DVC resorts).

There is no mention in the announcement of stopping free parking at other resorts for WDW resort guests- only a charge for using the valet service. Perhaps many were NOT tipping the valets- or Disney has finally identified how this service is actually being used by many (to avoid themepark parking).

I would hope that those who choose to use the service will still provide a gratuity for those serving. Perhaps the charge IS actually going to the valets to make up for lost income on tips?

I'd like to believe that the new $6 charge is going to the CMs, but if that is true, why the statement that gratutities are still appropriate?

Most of the DVC'rs report that they give $2 -$3 for both drop off and pick up. Assuming that they are representative of the general population of those who use valet parking, a $6 charge should adequately cover "tips" for the CMs. In light of the "gratutity statement", I just don't believe the valets will be receiving the proceeds from the new charge. JMHO. Hope I'm wrong.

Hello? I'm paying almost $700 a night for a concierge room at the GF, and they are going to charge me for valet? Oooh, this DVC membership is looking better and better.

A charge for a service does not necessarily mean it replaces tipping (unless a sign is posted stating that is the case). If you park in a NYC garage and they bring your car around a tip is appropriate in addition to the fee you paid to park. Currently, non-WDW resort guests are charged $6 for valet parking at BWV. There is no sign saying tips are not accepted.

The whole parking situation at WDW has become frustrating over the past few years. It use to be a pleasure to go to one of the monorail resorts, park hassle free, take the monorail around to each one, explore, (spend money), and have a good time. That is nearly impossible now. Yes, we have parked at the Contemporary and went to the MK when it was a little known "tip" but that is gone also. It seems that the freedom of mobility is leaving the WDW experience.

Frankly, I don't see this as a big issue. Valet parking is convenient, but it's not the end of the world if they charge for it at non-DVC resorts. As far as I know, the cost is not included in our DVC maintenance fee. In fact, I would object if it were. We have used it only a few times since joining in '95. I much prefer getting my own car and we have never had a problem finding space. It's usually quicker anyway.

If the fee is objectionable to you, you can always "vote with your feet" and frequent only resorts where the valet parking is still free. :)

If there were to be a drop in the number of dining guests at some of their more posh resort resturants, e.g., at GF and Contemporary, you can bet that they would change the policy to free valet parking with validation. At WDW, everything is subject to change.

Is valet free at any resort?

You'd think that they'd waive the fee if you were a registered guest at the resort that you want valet at (if staying at the GF, then no fee at the GF).

With the convention center at the GF (along with everything else going on at the resort), it is hard to find a parking space in the self lot during the evening already, not to meantion it's distance from the building (past valet, and on the other side of the road). This puts a real damper on the place. Maybe we should consider the Polynesian or the Contemporary more, due to it's self parking situation.

CADreaming, I wouldn't get too upset about the what the resorts will charge until we get all the details. It may very well be that guests of the resort won't be charged. All we know is that 1) There will be a fee 2) DVC members won't be charged at DVC resorts.

Free valet parking is a cost that must be covered by the resort. Since DVC owns half the resort, DVC will be responsible for half the cost. Which means that our dues (at BWV or VWL) go to cover the cost of valet parking. You may not find it itemized in the dues, but trust me, it's buried in there somewhere.

Actually, I usually only tip one to two bucks for valet parking no matter where I am (WDW or elsewhere).

Sidebar for Leslie....

Didn't see anyone give a direct answer to your question,

Totally OT, but how do you get the quote function on here to work with copy and paste? I can't seem to do it.

I just use CTRL-C and CTRL-V in lieu of copy/paste.

Find the text you want to put into your response, and highlight it. Press CTRL-C (Copy). Begin your response, do an enter to get to a blank line, click on the QUOTE button. In the pop up menu, press CTRL-V. Your copied text should appear.

Click OK, Hit Enter (to get a blank line, it formats the quote better), and continue your response. Hope this helps you and anyone else who wanted to know how to do quotes.

Alternate method, you can do it manually by entering a left square bracket, type the word QUOTE, enter a right square bracket, paste the quoted text, do another left square bracket, type slash QUOTE (" /QUOTE "). YOu're done. You may also enter all commands in lowercase (/quote).

Hope this helps. Now, back to regularly scheduled discussions on parking.....Oooh, please don't get me started on that too. Basically, I agree with everyone.

Just where did it say that parking for DVC members would be free for the length of our contract at any resort that we go to???

A $6 valet charge at everywhere but BWV & WLV for DVC members seems reasonable to me given that I have had to pay as much as $30 to valet park in Chicago, $24 in Philadelphia and $25 in San Francisco. It seems to me that not many people have traveled to other places in the country. This isn't unheard of.

I'd rather pay for valet parking and get a better ticket discount for being a DVC member.

Just a note. Disney already charges $6 valet parking for the resorts at Disneyland. This was $6 per day for guest (added to your bill.) You were able to come and leave as often as you liked.

When I asked them why they charge and WDW didn't, they said they have so much problem with people trying to use thier parking lots, they began to charge. In order to self-park, I seem to remmeber that you had to have your room key to gain access to the lot.

People are comparing big city parking fees to Disney valet fees. They are not the same. We visit Philly and Boston often. We pay $$$ just to self park. Even at the best hotels you pay to park in their garage or two blocks away at one they recommend. If you chose to valet, they don't charge extra but tipping is expected.Parking fees are just a part of big city life because space is at a premium.

As for the cost of the CM's that valet park, WDW built their wages into the cost of the room. Are they going to discount guest who choose to self park ? DON'T THINK SO !!

I don't understand why people would want to rationalize the new valet charges as justifiable. I view them as an erosion of the quality experience that Disney provided in the past. Obviously some places charge more - but WDW never engaged in this practice so why should we be taking their side by saying its really not an excessive charge. Yes - nothing was ever guaranteed to the customer but it is a disapppointing course of action on Disney's part.

Bob H, I totally agree with you!! You can't compare Disney's sudden decision to charge for valet parking with parking charges at city hotels.

First of all, the major difference here is that in most any major city in this country there is a huge lack of metered or public parking lots. Free parking on the streets is almost non-exsistant and a safety concern as well.

We drive into NYC fairly often and expect to pay a minimum of $25 to valet park in a lot there. Why? Well, we have very little choice. There are no other spots available in say the Theater District and so we're stuck with paying. We've also paid $30 a night for valet parking at The Four Seasons in NYC. Again, the Valet picks up your car and drives it to a nearby lot. Again, the major difference is that there is absolutely no place to park and therefore the hotel or restaurant in a city is parking your car in a lot where *they* must pay to park your car. Disney is not incurring a charge to park our cars. They are creating new revenue stream. I don't know for a fact, but I'm betting that the Valets make next to nothing, like a waiter. I'm quite sure that most of their income comes from tipping. Anyone know what they make??

Disney has plenty of parking for their guests. The Disney Valets don't pick up our cars and take them to a non-Disney lot where there is a charge for parking. They are not forced to charge us in turn for what they must pay someone else.

This is purely a case where the Disney Execs are sitting around trying to come up with ways to wring more money out of us. Yeah, yeah, I know....that's their job. However, in an economic downturn isn't it "industry practice" to create more discounts so that you draw more revenue? They are saying that this is a "standard practice". I for one don't see it as anything other than just one more thing taken away.

One of the nicest features of visiting a Disney Resort for dinner is the valet parking. I think it's really pathetic that Walt Disney Resort Guests who are spending ludicrous amounts of money to vacation there now must pay 6 bucks a day for to have someone park your car.

What's next. A charge for Bell Hop services? What's the difference really? Hey, if you can get to the GF you can lug your bags up those stairs right? Parking a car is way easier than lugging your bags around, and yet they'll charge us for that?

Maybe they'll soon get us for a surcharge on our tickets for use of the ultra-speedy WDW Transportation System? Yeah, how bout a buck for the monorail and 50 cents for the Ferry? Hey, how bout charging for the Tram? These are all Disney "Upgrades" right? I see this ridiculous valet parking charge as the same kind of thing.

I think that at an absolute minimum, Disney should *not* charge guests for valet parking if they are staying at that particular resort. I also think that they should validate parking for those folks who dine in one of their restaurants. That will take care of those folks who are valet parking at the MK/Epcot Resorts and strolling into the parks. It also elimates the prospect of someone valet parking for free and just browsing around the hotel. God forbid someone do that, after all that doesn't create any revenue.

Laura

Easier then validating your valet ticket would be to treat it as a $6.00 coupon at any sit down restraunt at that resort.

A $6.00 coupon would work for me KNWVIKING. As long as that coupon value goes up if the valet parking price goes up.....which we all know it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter