Disney waterparks or Volcano Bay?

CruisinPetey

Earning My Ears
We will be visiting Disney for a week in August, followed by a few days at Universal. I'm trying to decide if we should add the water park option for our Disney tickets, or just plan to go to Volcano Bay. Any advice on which water parks to visit? Should we stick to Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach or go to VB instead? Our kids are 9 and 11 years old if that makes a difference. Thank you!

In your situation, I’d do Volcano Bay. However if i were choosing a waterpark, it would be Aquatica! :P

I'm not a big fan of Volcano Bay. While their Tapu-Tapu system sounds good in theory, I found we still had pretty long waits when we came back for our return window, and it prevented us from doing any other slides/rides while waiting. I'd go with either a Disney water park or Aquatica.

Wow, is Aquatica that good? We have done Disney watermarks many times but haven't tried Aquatica or Volcano Bay

Last edited:
We've only done each of the Disney and Universal water parks once, but my vote is Volcano Bay hands down. My favorite part was that there were several rides that we could all do together - far more than at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. We did have a cabana near the center of Volcano Bay so that certainly enhanced our experience - we could make Tapu Tapu reservations from there without having to travel to the individual rides. But even without the cabana I'd still choose Volcano Bay because we liked the attractions a lot better. But you can't go wrong with any of them, they're all really fun. Enjoy!

We really like aquatica as well. The all day dining was nice... it was better at seaworld but we still got our money worth only cause we got two parks for two days with dining 135.

My kids age 8, 12 and 15 preferred Volcano Bay over the Disney WPs. I enjoyed the food their more and liked not having to wait in line. The Tapu Tapu is really slick. I would go early of its a busy time of year.

But honestly I think you'll have a good time either way so do what works best in your schedule.

There's a thread just above this asking people for tips to survive summer trips. The Disney water parks look amazing, and I'm thinking they could be a good way to cool off if we become miserable at the parks. The park hopper and more feature allows you to visit the WDW water parks multiple times, not just one. It seems like a good deal to me.

I am curious would folks recommend going to volcano bay over Disney water parks if we are only spending time at Disney. For first time we are planning a water park day with dinner at CA grill since Disney water park close at 5. However I have heard VB is great and wonder if it’s worth leaving Disney to go there for our water park day instead. Kids are 8,9, 12, and 13. I haven’t looked into pricing or transportation yet. (We don’t have park hoppers)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter