Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** September 2-4, 2011 ** Check-In

Make sure and say "hi" if you see a guy running in orange and black wearing these:
NMLRS6-fv.jpg
for the half,

or looking like this (with two cute girls) for the 5k:
pTRU1-5183087reg.jpg

Hey everyone.

The group of us over at WISH are having a meet at 5:00 on Saturday at La Brea Bakery. We are just a bunch of DISers that like to talk about races. Come by and say hi! It is always nice to meet more DISers and WISHers.

Being the inexperienced runner that I am, I'm following the same system I used for Walt Disney World:
Saturday: Run the 5k, take a nap, go to the mall all day, eat at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. Order the Chicken Carbonara.
Sunday: Coffee and a banana. Clif shot blocks at the halfway point of the race, or during a long lineup for photos, whichever is easiest.

This worked out quite nicely for me as I didn't have any stomach issues post-race. I also determined that I need carbs during my long run training. I ate lightly the night before a long run and I would get hunger pains 15k in. I'd eat some bloks or sport beans to try and offset my hunger but it wouldn't go away.

As mentioned, some things work for others while other things don't. It's about what you learn during your training program that brings you to perform your best on race day.

If there's ever a superstition with me and running, it's making sure I have a couple sticks of bacon before or after I run. It's unconventional, but it makes me happy.

During my first half marathon, I ate fried chicken and Chinese food the night before and I had some awful stomach pains halfway through. I certainly learned my lesson that day.

In case I don't post before I fly out, have a safe trip and I hope to see some of you there!

Hey guys!! We're finally there!!! At least for me, this time tomorrow, I'll be on my way out of DL heading over to the expo. Hope everyone has a safe drive/flight. See you on Saturday and Sunday! :goodvibes

Adding on to what everyone has said about the food thing, if you do do the pasta thing on Saturday, it's better to do it at lunch. Carbs, b/c they're heavier, take a little while longer to digest. And w/ the race being early on Sunday, it will just give your body a little more time to absorb them. For me, I eat pasta Friday night, and then, like mentioned above, on Saturday carb more on snacks like mentioned~ a soft pretzle and a baguette (From La Brea and they're delicious)to gnaw on. Dinner is a grilled chicken breast and baked potato w/ salad. Waterwise, like everyone said drink it up!!! When you go to the bathroom on Saturday, it should be a pale yellow, that way you won't be dehydrated.

Good luck everybody!!!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Johde. Carbo loading is quite proven and still used by all elite runners I know.

On timing, it is best to finish you last meal relatively early. I'm eating at 5:00 on Saturday and then probably won't eat much after that, except maybe grazing a bit.

It is also better to graze all day Saturday, than to have one big pasta meal. If I were at the parks, I would probably have a standard pasta plate at some point and maybe a cheese or veggie (low-ish fat) pizza another time. Both these are decent sources, and don't laugh at the pizza, I got the tip from a report from some Kenyans that they like non-sausage pizza before races. I set a PR once on pizza for dinner. Pretzels (big soft) wouldn't be bad either. Pizza places in both parks have both pasta and pizza I believe.

I would avoid anything with a lot of fat (cheesburgers, hot dogs, french fries, fried anything). I also keep the protein low because I don't really need it for the race, and I'll get plenty after the race.

At least as important is carrying water with you on Saturday. Keep hydrated all day.

Post race is easy. Here is my formula: 1) I snack on the food after the race, but don't eat big until 11-noon; 2) Monte Cristo Sandwich; 3) Karl Strauss Red Trolley; 4) Dole Pineapple Whip. This is definitely a winning formula.

I actually don't disagree with you at all. I've never run a Marathon, but I've heard carbo loading can be useful. That being said, my comment was more related to the idea of eating a huge bowl of pasta the night before a race. Carbo loading, from what I understand is probably best done, like you suggested today and tomorrow. With Saturday, especially late evening, being somewhat light.

When you go to the bathroom on Saturday, it should be a pale yellow, that way you won't be dehydrated.

Good luck everybody!!!

The one thing I would add there is if you take a lot of vitamin suppliments, your bathroom stop may stay yellow. I actually cut out the multivitamin for this week for that very reason.

I actually don't disagree with you at all. I've never run a Marathon, but I've heard carbo loading can be useful. That being said, my comment was more related to the idea of eating a huge bowl of pasta the night before a race. Carbo loading, from what I understand is probably best done, like you suggested today and tomorrow. With Saturday, especially late evening, being somewhat light.

Gotcha. Yeah, the big huge pile of food right before you go to bed only makes it harder to sleep because you are buzzing from all the carbs. Grazing is the way to go. I have enough of a hard time sleeping anyway.

For DL half year #2, I was staying at the DL hotel in the center tower facing the afternoon sun. The room never got below 85 with AC. So, I finally persuaded them to switch my room. Ended up facing the parking lot with the start/finish area. Beep Beep Beep all night long. I learned that you can still run well even if you don't get any sleep.

Im ready....my flight leaves in a couple hrs. Will b at the expo to get my running stuff then off to have fun....Hope to check in soon..

Have a safe flight Dave and lots of fun at the Parks.

We're driving over instead of flying from Northern AZ. Can't wait for the expo then the Half on Sunday. C2C...failure is NOT an option!

omg what a great day..... the expo was so fun as well as trader sams.....we went to see our favorite bartender at grand californian....such a great day...get rest tomorrow and run sunday...then a few days of play time....ok i just had to take 20 mins off just now to watch the fireworks from the room...how sweet it is to have a channel that plays the music of the firework while we watch them...perfect ending of a great day...cant wait for tomorrow

SKWDW you have a safe drive

Getting ready to head to the Airport right now. Hope to see everyone this afternoon.

In the room at Disneyland Hotel getting rest before the big race. Good luck tomorrow everyone......Cant wait to get my coast 2 coast medal

Hope all the 5K'ers had funt his morning. I know I did. Good luck to everyone running the Half in the morning!!

congrats to everybody that competed in the half marathon this morning! :cool1::thumbsup2

Congratulations 1/2 marathoners! We saw some of you finishing on the news this morning. And my husband and I both said we need to do that again. We did the first 3 years and it was awesome. Thanks for the inspiration:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter