Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes ! They have a few regular height tables / chairs and then director chair / table heights. Probably if you're further back inline you might not get your requested seating. Just keep in mind that you can request these and hopefully its available when its your turn to be checked in. I think all of the tables have a good view, but every so often an adult in the FP area will put a child on their shoulders and block a bit of space. But the show is so big it really doesn't block much at all. Don't forget to request a box to take your desserts after the party if you have left overs. We took an empty Disney bag to put dessert boxes and WOC glasses that they give kids, which are big. You can also request a glowing ice cube if your drink doesn't come with one and if they have extras sometimes they'll be able to accommodate you and give you one.

We've been spoiled with the DP ..... spoiled in a good way :lovestruc
sweet...... I'm going to request a tall table and hope it comes through!

soooo I called and the (very unhelpful) guy on the phone said they didn't input table requests. boo.

Mini trip report from me. We went last Thursday and Friday. Holy cow! Best Disney experience ever! At least twice I caught myself tearing up from being overwhelmed at how blessed I am for everything I have in my life. The first night we got there at about 4 pm and went to DCA. It was quite empty. The Festival of Holidays and the food carts are pretty much awesome. Since it is so over priced, there were literally no lines for any of them. We ate the brisket potato croquet and it was to die for. That is the one that sticks out in my mind. I could have spent a full day at DCA without riding a single ride and still had one of the best times of my life. I was very surprised by how wonderful it was. We then went to the dessert party. I went in October and said it was something I only needed to do once (and that would be the only time I needed to see WOC) but I decided to take my family and hit the holiday version. I personally think its worth it. I wouldn't be willing to watch WOC any other way. I agree with others that the holiday show is not quite as "put together" as the version I saw in December, but honestly, for most, they will think it is spectacular. And the ending made it totally worth it (again, no spoilers). I would definitely give up a sit down meal for it. And with the Festival of Holidays food stands, it works out really well to grab a little bite to eat earlier in the evening. They will take your request for a high or low table in line or at the show, BTW. Before WOC we had breadbowl soup at Boudin and sat in the warf area. The mariachi Divas were on stage and their show was really awesome. Especially if you have kids. There was a good portion of Christmas songs and they let the kids sing and dance and play percussion.
They next day we hit rope drop (sort of) at DL. We walked through the gates a little before 9 and had 10:10 reservation at Plaza Inn. In that first hour we hit 6 rides (including space and star tours, buzz twice and Indiana Jones). I had never been to the Plaza Inn but wanted to get a quick Character fix and be done with that for the day. I think we saw 11 characters! We shopped, rode rides with no lines (the longest being Jingle Cruise, which annoyed me because we have a wheelchair so we were made to wait the wait time before we got in line and then stood in line for at least half an hour after that for IMHO a pretty lame ride). Saw the Christmas Parade from the curb in the wheelchair section by walking up 5 minutes before it started. I agree with the sentiments of others, the parade is not really that great (i would have left after 5 minutes of the same song) but my DD really loved it, so maybe it is more suited to kids. It wasn't crowded at the time of the first parade so I can't imagine it would be worth it to pay fort he holiday tour just to get actual seats. I am pretty sure we rode every ride in DL at least once (with the exception of a few we didn't want to ride in FL). We had 4:30 Alladin PTN dinner reservations. We ate the food there. What a GREAT hidden spot. We had the meat lasgna and all agreed it was fine (about stouffers quality, not an unreasonably huge portion; we all finished our entire meals but were not left hungry). We then rode Small World Holiday 3 times in a row without getting off (the wheel chair boat) and I managed to not shoot anyone and we headed over to the Alladin PTN area. It was a bit hard to find and the cast members were not friendly or helpful. We managed to get my DD up at the rail and the rest of us stood behind her. Considering we entered the area about 5 minutes before the parade started, I thought that was pretty good. IMHO, there is no reason to not do the dinner package if you are planning on seeing the parade. It was less than you would pay for dinner elsewhere and no waiting for the parade. I will say, the DL decorations were what I was expecting. I wasn't blown away like I was with DCA. There were no fireworks that night (but we saw them the previous night as we were exiting DCA) and we were walking out the gate by 8 pm.
This was also the first time we stayed off site. HOJO. It was $200 a night. The hubby and kids thought it was totally worth it. I, who had to work the first night until midnight and then be up at 5 am the next morning to work for 3 hours before we left for the park, and "slept" on an air mattress on the floor with a freezing cold breeze coming in under the door, who had to sit on the floor by the elevator to try to work, because it was the only indoor public area with a power outlet, would have checked out and stayed elsewhere if we were there for more than one night. Not gonna lie, at 3 am, I considered going and sleeping in my car. It was a mistake to think that the hotel doesn't matter because all we do is sleep there. I forgot that everyone else sleeps. I don't sleep and the lack of indoor common areas was a huge problem for me. Mind you, we had the basic level room but there is now way I would be willing to stay there for 5 days in a row. The air mattress and the freezing cold probably didn't help and I know I am a bit of a hotel snob but I got shamed into trying it because it was cheaper by the folks on this board. Should have just paid an extra hundred bucks for PPH. Still the best Disney trip ever and now I know that, for me, the money to stay on site IS worth it.

Mini trip report from me. We went last Thursday and Friday. Holy cow! Best Disney experience ever! At least twice I caught myself tearing up from being overwhelmed at how blessed I am for everything I have in my life. The first night we got there at about 4 pm and went to DCA. It was quite empty. The Festival of Holidays and the food carts are pretty much awesome. Since it is so over priced, there were literally no lines for any of them. We ate the brisket potato croquet and it was to die for. That is the one that sticks out in my mind. I could have spent a full day at DCA without riding a single ride and still had one of the best times of my life. I was very surprised by how wonderful it was. We then went to the dessert party. I went in October and said it was something I only needed to do once (and that would be the only time I needed to see WOC) but I decided to take my family and hit the holiday version. I personally think its worth it. I wouldn't be willing to watch WOC any other way. I agree with others that the holiday show is not quite as "put together" as the version I saw in December, but honestly, for most, they will think it is spectacular. And the ending made it totally worth it (again, no spoilers). I would definitely give up a sit down meal for it. And with the Festival of Holidays food stands, it works out really well to grab a little bite to eat earlier in the evening. They will take your request for a high or low table in line or at the show, BTW. Before WOC we had breadbowl soup at Boudin and sat in the warf area. The mariachi Divas were on stage and their show was really awesome. Especially if you have kids. There was a good portion of Christmas songs and they let the kids sing and dance and play percussion.
They next day we hit rope drop (sort of) at DL. We walked through the gates a little before 9 and had 10:10 reservation at Plaza Inn. In that first hour we hit 6 rides (including space and star tours, buzz twice and Indiana Jones). I had never been to the Plaza Inn but wanted to get a quick Character fix and be done with that for the day. I think we saw 11 characters! We shopped, rode rides with no lines (the longest being Jingle Cruise, which annoyed me because we have a wheelchair so we were made to wait the wait time before we got in line and then stood in line for at least half an hour after that for IMHO a pretty lame ride). Saw the Christmas Parade from the curb in the wheelchair section by walking up 5 minutes before it started. I agree with the sentiments of others, the parade is not really that great (i would have left after 5 minutes of the same song) but my DD really loved it, so maybe it is more suited to kids. It wasn't crowded at the time of the first parade so I can't imagine it would be worth it to pay fort he holiday tour just to get actual seats. I am pretty sure we rode every ride in DL at least once (with the exception of a few we didn't want to ride in FL). We had 4:30 Alladin PTN dinner reservations. We ate the food there. What a GREAT hidden spot. We had the meat lasgna and all agreed it was fine (about stouffers quality, not an unreasonably huge portion; we all finished our entire meals but were not left hungry). We then rode Small World Holiday 3 times in a row without getting off (the wheel chair boat) and I managed to not shoot anyone and we headed over to the Alladin PTN area. It was a bit hard to find and the cast members were not friendly or helpful. We managed to get my DD up at the rail and the rest of us stood behind her. Considering we entered the area about 5 minutes before the parade started, I thought that was pretty good. IMHO, there is no reason to not do the dinner package if you are planning on seeing the parade. It was less than you would pay for dinner elsewhere and no waiting for the parade. I will say, the DL decorations were what I was expecting. I wasn't blown away like I was with DCA. There were no fireworks that night (but we saw them the previous night as we were exiting DCA) and we were walking out the gate by 8 pm.
This was also the first time we stayed off site. HOJO. It was $200 a night. The hubby and kids thought it was totally worth it. I, who had to work the first night until midnight and then be up at 5 am the next morning to work for 3 hours before we left for the park, and "slept" on an air mattress on the floor with a freezing cold breeze coming in under the door, who had to sit on the floor by the elevator to try to work, because it was the only indoor public area with a power outlet, would have checked out and stayed elsewhere if we were there for more than one night. Not gonna lie, at 3 am, I considered going and sleeping in my car. It was a mistake to think that the hotel doesn't matter because all we do is sleep there. I forgot that everyone else sleeps. I don't sleep and the lack of indoor common areas was a huge problem for me. Mind you, we had the basic level room but there is now way I would be willing to stay there for 5 days in a row. The air mattress and the freezing cold probably didn't help and I know I am a bit of a hotel snob but I got shamed into trying it because it was cheaper by the folks on this board. Should have just paid an extra hundred bucks for PPH. Still the best Disney trip ever and now I know that, for me, the money to stay on site IS worth it.
Thanks for all the great details!

Should have just paid an extra hundred bucks for PPH. Still the best Disney trip ever and now I know that, for me, the money to stay on site IS worth it.
I'm leaning towards that now, too. For me, it's just way to crowded going in and out of the parks and takes up too much time. I actually was thinking HOJO would be fine, but I have a different sleep schedule than the rest of my family and I could see how that would be an issue. I currently have a timeshare week a mile away, so I am using that, but won't do that again. Yesterday, I left my room in my car around 8:00am to park in Mickey and Friends. By the time I got through the car line, walked to the entrance plaza and then went through security it was 9:10 when I entered DL. Seems a bit ridiculous to take over an hour to drive a mile and park and get into the park. I was happy, though, because I got to walk on It's a Small World (love it decked out for christmas) and then go to DCA for park opening and had a 15 minute wait for TOT. I've been trying to ride TOT during my last several visits, but the line is always too long for me. I am totally satisfied that I finally got on it, knowing it would probably be my last time. However, I would have liked to walk back to my room to chill or have a cheap in room meal and be back at the park in 30 minutes, which I would have been able to do if staying at GHC.

I have lots of Hilton points, so it is possible that I will use those for a no out of pocket cost stay, but I don't think I'll ever stay off site for a good price in a highly recommended hotel/motel again. I'd rather visit less and enjoy my stay more.

and I personally like the front row (it doesn't' hurt to request it) :love:
I think the tall table is the back might be a better view. With the front row low tables (and I suspect even the high tables) both times I have gone, a giant put a fully grown kid on his shoulders and it blocked a good portion of my view. I think if you were back a bit further the giant wouldn't do so much damage.

I really think the MOtel aspect was the problem. I'm not sure what made me think it would work. We might try to Marriot sometime if it is way cheaper than on site but I just can't stay in a motel with the way I sleep and need to sneak in a few hours of work everyday. It also might be better in warm weather when you can use the outside spaces. I forgot to say, the walk was really easy, especially if you crossed Harbor at the HOJO so that you were walking on the side of the street with no businesses. We were usually the only ones on that side walking. I bet it cut the walk time in half. ANd really, there was nothing wrong with the HOJO (other than the under door breeze), as long as you understand, you are staying at a motel. For 200 hundred bucks a night.

soooo I called and the (very unhelpful) guy on the phone said they didn't input table requests. boo.
I don't think they'll take table requests ahead of time. What many have reported is that they will take table requests when you line up. For me, they asked if I would like a hightop or lowtop when we got to the actual seating area, but others have reported having a CM go through the line ahead of time and take requests. If you get to the front of the line and no one has asked yet, it doesn't hurt to inquire.

I really think the MOtel aspect was the problem. I'm not sure what made me think it would work. We might try to Marriot sometime if it is way cheaper than on site but I just can't stay in a motel with the way I sleep and need to sneak in a few hours of work everyday. It also might be better in warm weather when you can use the outside spaces. I forgot to say, the walk was really easy, especially if you crossed Harbor at the HOJO so that you were walking on the side of the street with no businesses. We were usually the only ones on that side walking. I bet it cut the walk time in half. ANd really, there was nothing wrong with the HOJO (other than the under door breeze), as long as you understand, you are staying at a motel. For 200 hundred bucks a night.
The friends that joined us for a few days at the beginning of the trip stayed at the Grand Legacy at the Park on Harbor, which I believe is a hotel with indoor corridors. They were there the Tues/Wed/Thurs before the Avengers run, and their price/night was appx $100. From their accounts, it was clean and comfortable and still very close to the parks. I think the new planned Harbor crossover (when it's finally done) is supposed to be at the intersection where the Grand Legacy is (though I'm sure prices will rise at that point).

I don't think they'll take table requests ahead of time. What many have reported is that they will take table requests when you line up. For me, they asked if I would like a hightop or lowtop when we got to the actual seating area, but others have reported having a CM go through the line ahead of time and the requests. If you get to the front of the line and no one has asked yet, it doesn't hurt to inquire.
Yes, as you stated that was our experience also...... "In line check in", not in advance. When we were actually inline and the CM was registering people / checking you in (before the line was even moving), at that time we could request hightop or lowtop. We had a group of 5.

In Aug our family group of 10 had pre-assigned tables and we were told while in line that we could pick a different spot once we got down to the seating area if we didn't like what they had chosen for us. We did like our placement. Seems like if once we had gotten down there and wanted to change that it would've really been an inconvenience to everyone (CM's and guests) to move at that time. If you're towards the start of the line and a smaller group I could see how maybe that could work.

If you are a party of 2 you'll probably be seated with another party of 2, as the tables are set for 4 people. The table can accommodate 5, a bit tight, but if its all your own group..... we found it fun and cozy.

Just curious ..... does anyone know how many can be seated in that Dessert Party area ?

Last edited:
We did the WOC dessert party tonight and had such an amazing time. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the desserts were holiday themed and different from their regular offerings. They had a gingerbread cookie, cheesecake (egg nog or holiday spice, something like that), chocolate bundt cake, lemon macaron, and a Mickey macaroon. All of the desserts were decorated for the holidays. **sorry for all the extra cheese piled on my plate- my son decided he wanted nothing to do with cheese tonight, and threw all his on my plate before I could get a picture**

I'm so glad we were able to enjoy this particular version. It was definitely my favorite. The ending in particular was very uplifting and lovely. IMG_1996.JPG

We did the WOC dessert party tonight and had such an amazing time. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the desserts were holiday themed and different from their regular offerings. They had a gingerbread cookie, cheesecake (egg nog or holiday spice, something like that), chocolate bundt cake, lemon macaron, and a Mickey macaroon. All of the desserts were decorated for the holidays. **sorry for all the extra cheese piled on my plate- my son decided he wanted nothing to do with cheese tonight, and threw all his on my plate before I could get a picture**

I'm so glad we were able to enjoy this particular version. It was definitely my favorite. The ending in particular was very uplifting and lovely. View attachment 209249

That looks lovely! I've just booked this for Jan. 3 and I'm SO excited! :banana:

May I ask how early you lined up and what type of table you had?

I'm so glad we were able to enjoy this particular version. It was definitely my favorite. The ending in particular was very uplifting and lovely. View attachment 209249
Thanks for the picture!

Lovely!

That looks lovely! I've just booked this for Jan. 3 and I'm SO excited! :banana:

May I ask how early you lined up and what type of table you had?

We lined up at 8 for an 8:15 check-in. I was very surprised to see how many people were already in line. By the time we got to pick our table, they still had both types left. We chose a low table and had a great view. There were a few kids on their parents' shoulders in the area in front, but I didn't feel like it interrupted our view at all.

I am heading to the parks next week, our first Christmas time at the parks and this help me so much because I had a lot of questions. Like is the Aladdin Paint the night worth it? I was also considering doing the Desert Party for WOC and I think I am almost convinced. I hope we have a great time as you did, just hopping next week the parks wont be that crowded (crossing fingers). It sounds like they really weren't while you were there.

hsev9zccckocbubl.png

Last edited:
I'm super bad with directions but if I remember correctly it was across the hub kind of in front of Plaza Inn (That is the part I might be wrong about). There is a roped area that is also a walkway. Right before the parade starts they completely rope off the area. So basically, the roped off area when people start lining up is maybe 4 people wide. If you are about 3 three rows back in that area when they move the rope of block the walkway right before the parade you can take a few steps over and have a curb spot. But beware, as soon as the parade goes by it becomes a very busy walkway in the blink of an eye, One mom took her kid out of her wheelchair to watch the parade and as soon as it was over people came rushing across and the wheelchair got pushed way back for the girl. I had to guard the girl while mom chased after the wheel chair. Also, because I could never figure it out, there is a wheelchair viewing area for WOC right near where people line up for the dessert party. And hour before WOC there were still railing spots and it is a very good location. I've never wanted to risk it because I am afraid they would only let the wheelchair plus one in, but the night we were there, they were letting the entire wheelchair party in (but it was not a crazy busy night).

ETA: There are several wheelchair ears for the parade. There is also one by small world and one up in town square. I thought this was the best one we have ever used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter