• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Divas working out, getting healthy, and looking fine in '09!!

Jen, you can definitely track your exercise time. What ever you need to put down. This is just a place to come and share how your doing and get encouragement whether that's with weight loss or just exercise. :thumbsup2

I'm off to have lunch now. A salad with some Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame dressing. That stuff is so good!!

Absolutely you can join us!

Wow, you lost a lot after that surgery. And good for you for being ready to get back to a healthy weight!
I spend way too much time on the computer as well. :rolleyes1 But I'm setting the goal of exercising at least 4 days a week for 30 minutes. It's a start. And I know you can do this!!! We'll get you going!!! :thumbsup2 :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I saw your name on the list for the Mickey's Trick or Treat party right? Just think, between now and then how great it would be to lose some weight and look wonderful in some really cool Halloween costume. ;) :banana:

Are you following any program? Or have any small goals you've set for yourself?

Because of surgery I tend to follow a modified Atkins approach. . .low to very low carb and high protein. My problem has been that I have learned to "eat around" the surgery. . .what that means is that I cannot take in very much at one sitting, but if I allow myself to linger over a meal I can eat much more. And I can eat about every hour if I want to. So I really need to retrain myself to eat the way I did when the surgery was still new. . .three meals plus a snack or two daily and no more than 30 minutes eating time - at a table. Also, no drinking until 15 to 30 minutes after eating - it tends to wash the food down the pouch too quickly and then the sateity of eating is not there (read: you don't ever feel the full feeling). As far as goals, my first short term goal is to lose 10 lbs before going to WDW on Aug 22, and possibly another 20 lbs by October.

Oh and yes, I will be at the Mickey's TOT party on the 28th of October with the Half Ton of Big Guys gang. . .And would love to wear a great costume. . .

By the way, I noticed that you are in Vegas as well. I live in Henderson, the Green Valley area. . .maybe we can hook up for some exercise. . .or at least a starbucks. . .lol.

Jen, you can definitely track your exercise time. What ever you need to put down. This is just a place to come and share how your doing and get encouragement whether that's with weight loss or just exercise. :thumbsup2

I'm off to have lunch now. A salad with some Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame dressing. That stuff is so good!!

Oh, that is my FAVE dressing right now. . .

I love reading everyone's story, and frankly I find all of you so inspirational!:grouphug:

Nurse Darcy, I'm with you on wanting to be involved in this smaller thread. When you're involved in a thread from early on, it's so much easier to connect with everyone. I'm not very physically active these days either and spend way too much time sitting on my behind in front of the computer, but I do like to go for walks, because......well, it's just nice to get out, enjoy the fresh air, smile and wave at the neighbors, see what's going on in the neighborhood, and clear my head. The fact that it's exercise is just a bonus. If I went for walks "just to get some exercise", I probably would hate going for walks. Ehh, it's kinda like a little reverse psychology on myself.:rotfl:

Jen - WOW, that's so great that you're running 20min-hour everyday!:yay: I haven't ran in years......my legs would probably buckle, and I don't know what in the heck I'd do with my bouncing girls.:laughing: I think I'll start with walking and possibly break into a slow jog from time to time, and then work my way up from there.

BillyFan - :lmao: Bike riding looks so easy and fun, and it was when we were kids, but now.....TORTURE. I haven't been on a bike since last year, when I too went on a bike ride (with my very in shape friend). It wasn't pretty or pleasant. I swear my legs were tired after only going 200 yeards, and the seat KILLED me.

Well, walking in the desert during the summer for any length of time is really not an option as it can be 100 degrees out at 5 in the morning. So my best option is the treadmill at the gym, or the elliptical, or some other machine. I know that if I made it a habit of going to the gym after I get off work in the mornings, I would be able to motivate myself to lose. . .the problem is I work 12 hr shifts and when I get off I am tired. . .though I usually go home and unwind. . .how much more awesome would it be to unwind at the gym. . .

Because of surgery I tend to follow a modified Atkins approach. . .low to very low carb and high protein. My problem has been that I have learned to "eat around" the surgery. . .what that means is that I cannot take in very much at one sitting, but if I allow myself to linger over a meal I can eat much more. And I can eat about every hour if I want to. So I really need to retrain myself to eat the way I did when the surgery was still new. . .three meals plus a snack or two daily and no more than 30 minutes eating time - at a table. Also, no drinking until 15 to 30 minutes after eating - it tends to wash the food down the pouch too quickly and then the sateity of eating is not there (read: you don't ever feel the full feeling). As far as goals, my first short term goal is to lose 10 lbs before going to WDW on Aug 22, and possibly another 20 lbs by October.

Oh and yes, I will be at the Mickey's TOT party on the 28th of October with the Half Ton of Big Guys gang. . .And would love to wear a great costume. . .

By the way, I noticed that you are in Vegas as well. I live in Henderson, the Green Valley area. . .maybe we can hook up for some exercise. . .or at least a starbucks. . .lol.
Well those sounds like good attainable goals, especially if you are able to retrain yourself the way you were saying. You can do it!!! :cheer2:

How did I miss that you were in Vegas! LOL I usually notice people's location right away. That would be great. I'm the opposite side, not far from Summerlin, and right now I'm home all day with all four of my kids, :eek: , but once school starts and it cools down some, I'd love to meet up! We can do a healthy lunch. :thumbsup2

Well, walking in the desert during the summer for any length of time is really not an option as it can be 100 degrees out at 5 in the morning. So my best option is the treadmill at the gym, or the elliptical, or some other machine. I know that if I made it a habit of going to the gym after I get off work in the mornings, I would be able to motivate myself to lose. . .the problem is I work 12 hr shifts and when I get off I am tired. . .though I usually go home and unwind. . .how much more awesome would it be to unwind at the gym. . .
I hear ya on the heat and walking. I am so jealous of those who can still go out in the nice summer evenings or early mornings for a walk. I am totally getting cabin fever being cooped up inside. :rolleyes:

I think if you could stop at the gym on the way home since you are out already, that would be awesome! Even if you just tried doing it a few times a week to start with just to see how you feel. :thumbsup2

I'm heeeeeeeeeeeeeere!:laughing:
Hi ladies!

Let's see, my health/weight history?
I started gaining weight in 3rd grade and didn't stop:sad2: I was not athletic but I could walk Disneyland without getting winded. My goal is to lose 100lbs my 21st birthday (November 2nd, 2009) which will put me at around 160lbs and I'd be a happy girl!:goodvibes

Today was the first day of a 3-day fruit diet and I'm SO glad it's over! This will be my 4th week exercising (12 miles a week minimum - more on that here)
and my parents say I'm looking smaller:goodvibes

I'm heeeeeeeeeeeeeere!:laughing:
Hi ladies!

Today was the first day of a 3-day fruit diet and I'm SO glad it's over! This will be my 4th week exercising (12 miles a week minimum - more on that here)
and my parents say I'm looking smaller:goodvibes

Welcome Cristabel! :cheer2:

12 miles a week? That's awesome! Can I put you down for our kick the couch think global, run/walk local 5K?

-Jen

Have a great day DIS Divas!!

Quote for today:

"The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!"
Marvin Phillips

To complete my food/activity journal from yesterday:

Afternoon snack: energy bar
Dinner: Spaghetti with ground turkey and whole wheat pasta
Dessert: Fat Free, Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding

Exercise: 15 minutes swim (to help my shoulder which is killing me, no doubt from spending all day on the computer); 20 minutes run

Today I'm scheduled for a 45 minute run and work with weights. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are my long exercise days.

And I'm going to go get that salad dressing that is so highly recommended. And Capri and Cristabel, you are motivating me to eat my fruits and veggies, and drink my water!

Good morning ladies!!!

Glad you made your way over here Cristabel! Good for you on the exercising!! That is super impressive! And how fantastic did it feel to have your parents say you were getting smaller?!?!?! Isn't that the best!!! Use that as motivation to keep it up!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Jen, thanks for another great quote. Better watch out or you just might become our daily quote girl....;)
Let me know what you think of the salad dressing. I like it alot. Also I see you had pudding for dessert last night. Was that something you made or was it like those Jell-o brand ones?

I bought some of the Jell-o ones and they are pretty good. I think it's the sugar free, and it has 60 calories. I usually get the vanilla and chocolate swirl. It's a nice treat. I simply cannot cut out treats/desserts altogether. :rolleyes: So I'm always on the look out for something satisfying like that, without too many calories.

Have a good day! Tomorrow is my weigh in day. Yikes. I'm hoping I at least lost something. I'm always happy as long as the scale is going down, even by just a half a pound! :rotfl:

OK...did my 45 minute run :woohoo:

Beth--I am a sweet freak. I cannot make it a day without a sweet. I just can't. Maybe someday I'll get there, but now I NEED my little sweet treats.

So what am I having..
-for morning tea and oatmeal: Smucker's sugar free syrup -- really a nice sweetener to use instead of splenda.
-Jello brand sugar free puddings and jello. The jello is especially calorie friendly
--International House sugar free swiss mocha coffee
-Weight Watchers 1 point yogurt: lemo pie, amaretto, vanilla and other sweet flavors plus satisfies my dairy requirement
-Skinny cow ice cream treats: the cones are my FAVORITE (150 calories but oh so good when you need a treat and MUCH better than eating a Drumstick) and they have ice cream sandwiches and fudge bars as well. I think there is also a sugar free sandwich that I'm going to try. Only thing is, these Skinny Cow ice creams are pricey unless you can find them on sale.

Other treats I have for myself:
-as much air popped popcorn as I can or want to eat
Not sweet, but a nice thing to grab when I just want to snack and snack

Any tips you have on good calorie friendly sweets?

Did 4 miles today and I'm SO tired. The kids at work today, I'm a summer camp counselor, just did NOT want to listen! UGH!

OK...did my 45 minute run :woohoo:

Other treats I have for myself:
-as much air popped popcorn as I can or want to eat
Not sweet, but a nice thing to grab when I just want to snack and snack

Any tips you have on good calorie friendly sweets?
Good for you on doing the run!! :cool1:

I agree with you on the popcorn and the Jello pudding. Both are great snacks.

I also like the 100 calorie packs of the Lorna Doone cookies. Fudgesicles which only have like 40 calories. And my new favorite when I really want a yummy treat is the Dreyer's Take the Cake Light slow churned ice cream.
http://dreyers.slowchurned.com/flavor.aspx?b=112&f=2676

OMG, it is sooooo good. It tastes like a yellow cake with frosting and sprinkles. So when I eat it, it's like eating ice cream and cake. LOL
It's got 120 calories for half a cup, but it is so good it's really worth it to me. Especially on days when I haven't eaten much. Then I know I can treat myself to some. :thumbsup2

Did 4 miles today and I'm SO tired. The kids at work today, I'm a summer camp counselor, just did NOT want to listen! UGH!
:worship: Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 miles? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

OK, I'm putting you down for 10k for October!

haha NOOOOO!:lmao: It wasn't running, or even walking! It was mostly the bike, some elliptical and some treadmill. I doubt I'll ever be able to run, I have such messed up knees and ankles and a VERY messed up sciatic nerve!

Love love love the Dreyer's tangerine or lemon flavored pops--only 80 calories.

Popsicle also makes sugar-free (no calorie) tropical flavored pops--wonderful.

I am also on a total orange kick--buying cases at Costco and eating two a day to snack on at work. Cut them up into pieces and it makes it easier.

Next is buying spinach and making my own yummy salads (have to get some of that dressing you all like) since I need iron. sigh.

Love love love the Dreyer's tangerine or lemon flavored pops--only 80 calories.

Popsicle also makes sugar-free (no calorie) tropical flavored pops--wonderful.

I am also on a total orange kick--buying cases at Costco and eating two a day to snack on at work. Cut them up into pieces and it makes it easier.

Next is buying spinach and making my own yummy salads (have to get some of that dressing you all like) since I need iron. sigh.
Thanks for the tips on the flavored pops. And good for you planning to make your own salads!!!! :cheer2:

Hi ladies.

Sorry I haven't been here earlier. Today was my cleaning day, meaning I went over to my mom and dad's house to CLEAN it. I don't know about you guys, but I find vacuuming in the summer to be a sweat inducing activity.

Anyway, I didn't do well today on my diet today. What I mean is, I was just so busy, that I didn't really have time to eat. Hardly at all. I did have a few pea pods before I left, and then I literally had only a couple bites of chicken breast while I was there. My mom stuffed 4 pretzels down my throat at 3:30pm this afternoon because she didn't want me to get sick by having low blood sugar.

Now that I've been home for a bit, I had time to eat some chicken and broccoli.

Jen - I love the inspirational quotes. Those are cool!:thumbsup2

Capri, at least you were able to come home and still eat sensibly. Often when I've done what you did, not eat all day or eat very little, I end up totally over eating that night. I'm just too hungry and end up grabbing everything.

But it sounds like you still had a good healthy dinner, so way to go on keeping in control!!!!! :cheer2:

Well, tomorrow morning I weigh in.......:eek: I just hope to have lost something! Anyone else going to weigh in on Fridays or any other day? You don't have to, just curious. :)

Well, tomorrow morning I weigh in.......:eek: I just hope to have lost something! Anyone else going to weigh in on Fridays or any other day? You don't have to, just curious. :)

I might weigh in, but I won't know if I lost anything the last couple of days because I forgot to weigh myself first before I started my diet. That's probably not a good thing to forget when you're trying to lose weight. :goodvibes

Thanks for all the yummy sweet tips everyone!

Just got back from the gym where I did my weights. I didn't get to the gym until so late tonight waiting for DH and DS5 to finish karate so they could take care of DS3. Needless to say I had no energy at 8pm to do my weights. But I struggled through my little routine.

What else did I eat today...
Lunch: fried egg in olive oil, high fiber toast and margarine type spread
Snack: More popcorn that I can measure
Dinner: One of those low fat hotdogs (what are those made of?), broccoli and Carrots
After workout (too late to eat probably): Kashi Lean Crunch cereal

:yay: (DS5 asked me to put that on there)

Got to read the kids a bedtime story.

Nite nite

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter