Disneyland ECVs

cmwade77

DIS Veteran
I ended up having to rent an ECV at Disneyland today, well recently they changed their max speed to be super slow.

Literally people walking started pushing the chair from behind because they assumed it was having problems. I saw others struggling too, some very light people were unable to even get the ECV up a wheelchair ramp.

When I said something, they said the calibrated them for the safety of the resort, the problem is this is making it unsafe for the people that rent them, as people pushing them from behind can cause back injuries. Additionally people get frustrated and walk around, super close to the front of the ECV to show their disgust, like the person that rented it can do anything about the speed.

Really this is terrible all around, the worst part is most people who rent ECVs at Disneyland are locals, which means that very few rental companies will rent to them unless they are staying at one of the area hotels.

I am writing this first as a warning so that those who might need an ECV when going to Disneyland know to rent off site and to see if anyone knows a quality (somewhere with equipment and service near that of Gold Mobility in Florida) company near Disneyland that will rent to locals. I don't always need an ECV at Disneyland, but I do know people that do sometimes need one as well, so it 2ould be good to know.

I ended up having to rent an ECV at Disneyland today, well recently they changed their max speed to be super slow.

Literally people walking started pushing the chair from behind because they assumed it was having problems. I saw others struggling too, some very light people were unable to even get the ECV up a wheelchair ramp.

When I said something, they said the calibrated them for the safety of the resort, the problem is this is making it unsafe for the people that rent them, as people pushing them from behind can cause back injuries. Additionally people get frustrated and walk around, super close to the front of the ECV to show their disgust, like the person that rented it can do anything about the speed.

Really this is terrible all around, the worst part is most people who rent ECVs at Disneyland are locals, which means that very few rental companies will rent to them unless they are staying at one of the area hotels.

I am writing this first as a warning so that those who might need an ECV when going to Disneyland know to rent off site and to see if anyone knows a quality (somewhere with equipment and service near that of Gold Mobility in Florida) company near Disneyland that will rent to locals. I don't always need an ECV at Disneyland, but I do know people that do sometimes need one as well, so it 2ould be good to know.
Hi there CMWade77 ! We remember you from a Disney Cruise and we still use your excellent gift of Hidden Mickeys in Disneyland! Thank you for the heads up about the scooters!! Aloha Karen and Ron

In addition to discussing the situation with them, did you enumerate the actual problems?

Anyway, all i can suggest is calling area companies and asking if they can meet your needs. At least one person who frequents this forum lives in California and might have a better response in the next couple of days.
I did indeed give them all of the issues and have emailed them as well so management will know the issues.

And yes, I am sure someone will have a better response. Seriously the speed was slower than people walking with canes.

I have started doing some research as well, I will let everyone know of I find anyone. I have found a company that looks promising so far. They seem to be a newer company, but reviews seem fairly positive. Just don't know a lot of details yet, but perhaps.

@cmwade77 Was there any indication that they had installed the sensors that are on the WDW Parks units? Or was it just a governor of some sort on either the throttle or the motor? (Morbid curiosity LOL)

@cmwade77 Was there any indication that they had installed the sensors that are on the WDW Parks units? Or was it just a governor of some sort on either the throttle or the motor? (Morbid curiosity LOL)
No sensors aside from the one in the seat, I did ask that before renting. So that is the good news. These models have the ability to have the max speed set.

Here is the email I got back from Disney:

Patrick Sandberg (Disney)

Apr 14, 9:38 AM EDT

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent visit to the Walt Disney World Resort.

Your email has been given to me for response, and I am currently researching with our Resort partners to best address your concerns. Once this research is complete I look forward to personally addressing your comments. This should take no longer than three business days.

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best Regards,

Patrick Sandberg‍
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-6182
This says it came from WDW Resort, so if you have any issues with ECVs on either coast, I recommend trying to contact Patrick directly.

Also local to Disneyland, but generally only rent wheelchairs. Good to know about the ECVs. We have used Deckerts for a wheelchair when we stay a few days and they drop off at the hotels. But not super impressed with them like we were with Gold Mobility in WDW. We have had so-so service twice with them and that was for a wheelchair only (I can push Mom for 2-3 days max at Disneyland with her doing some walking, but must have something at WDW for her to ride). Will be interested in what you find out. Am seriously considering buying a wheelchair for Mom to keep for the parks.

Here is the latest response I got from Disney on this:
Dear Christopher,

Thank you for reaching out to us and again, I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to our Resort. It is disappointing to hear about your experience with the Electric Convenience Vehicle you rented and how it affected your visit. I'm sorry for the frustration caused. The Electric Convenience Vehicles that are rented at our Theme Parks and Disney Springs are owned and maintained by Scooterbug, Inc. The speed settings that are preset are done so by Scooterbug and it is for the safety of the Guest using the vehicle as well as for other Guests or Cast Members in the Park. While the safety and security of our Guests and Cast Members is our number one priority at all times, regrettably the pushing by other Guests is behavior that is out of our control. It's important that our Guests share any behavior that may feel inappropriate with one of the Leaders of the location. That will give us the opportunity to address the situation immediately. I truly understand your concern and I appreciate that you took the time to let us know about this experience. Should you wish to present a claim for medical bills due to injuries you may have sustained, please reach out directly to Scooterbug, Inc. They can be reached by calling 407-532-7400. I apologize for any inconveniences and appreciate your understanding.

Christopher, our Guests' comments are invaluable, and we truly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us. We truly believe by listening to our Guests, we will know what we’re doing right and—most importantly—what we should continue to improve upon.

We hope to have future opportunities to entertain you at our Resort. Please know that you will receive a survey invitation in the next 24 hours regarding the service you received today and I would value knowing your feedback.

Kindest regards,

Patrick Sandberg
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-6182

So, they are blaming Scooterbug for the issues and not taking responsibility.

I wonder if this has something to do with the recent reports (even here on the DLR forum) about guests in ECVs being very reckless, some deliberately. Someone posted about a woman by the Mark Twain who was speeding toward people while yelling at them to get out of her way. Apparently she refused to slow down for or steer around anyone. Someone else posted a trip report about an elderly relative who couldn't control or steer her ECV during the entire trip, but refused to use the slower speed, and was basically a menace to society at large. There was a publicized incident about a grandmother who let her grandchild run the ECV into guests in the FP line of Star Tours. It sounds like the preset slow speed is an overreaction to these kinds of incidents; and, while they may be well intentioned, responsible guests like the OP are not being helped at all by these new "improvements."

I wonder if this has something to do with the recent reports (even here on the DLR forum) about guests in ECVs being very reckless, some deliberately. Someone posted about a woman by the Mark Twain who was speeding toward people while yelling at them to get out of her way. Apparently she refused to slow down for or steer around anyone. Someone else posted a trip report about an elderly relative who couldn't control or steer her ECV during the entire trip, but refused to use the slower speed, and was basically a menace to society at large. There was a publicized incident about a grandmother who let her grandchild run the ECV into guests in the FP line of Star Tours. It sounds like the preset slow speed is an overreaction to these kinds of incidents; and, while they may be well intentioned, responsible guests like the OP are not being helped at all by these new "improvements."
Exactly, I think for the ones that intentionally break the rules a list of do not rent to these people would make sense. This would mean requiring ID at time of rental and scanning it to check, but it would help.

The elderly person may be a case where they would need to limit the max speed, but that should be a case by case basis and at the request of those traveling with them.

I think these would be reasonable compromises, slowing down all ECVs to useless speeds does not fix the issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter