Disneyland Hotel Christmas and 21st birthday trip 2014

Charlotea

Mouseketeer
Just realised that I (Christie) posted the first part of this TR from Charlotte's account so I've had to write this message in order to delete the post and start it again under my own username!

Time for our TR from our wonderful holiday. We went to London the day before we went to Disney so that's what this day is a report for.

SUNDAY 14TH DECEMBER
London
I woke up at 7:30 and waited for Charl to have a shower! Spent the morning getting ready and by 10:30 Charlotte was ready and walking around the living room saying "can we GO yet?!"

At eleven we left home and stopped on the way to give mum’s friend a lift into town. Drove to the train station where mum dropped us off, and we went to look for Beth. She arrived, we reunited, it was great, and then we went to our platform.

DSC03912 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

There were quite a few people around wanting the Skegness train that was on platform 3b and for some reason they thought that our train on platform 2 was for them?! We were waiting outside of the train for quite a while, eventually they let us on ten minutes before it was due to leave. There was no first class even though we had paid for it, which was a bit disappointing. The train was quite small and basic but the journey was only half an hour and there was plenty of room for luggage. Beth produced some little star sweets that she had saved all term and half an hour later we were in Grantham.

DSC03920 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

After avoiding some rude people on the stairs who were rushing for their train, we went to the waiting room for a bit then went out to wait when there were ten minutes to go. The places where the different coaches would be was marked on the platform so it was easy, and we got on with no problems really apart from there wasn't much luggage space, but we managed to find a few spots. Two lads were in our spaces so we had to ask them to move!

We were sat opposite a lady that had a tiny baby who was silent for the entire journey! The man who came round with drinks was lovely and quite interested in the fact we are twins! He only had one sandwich left so we had that to share with tea and biscuits. The chairs were so comfy!

DSC03922 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

Soon enough it was time to get off and I spotted a little tiny white dog in a carrier on one of the seats?! Weird. We were in Kings Cross not St Pancras which was weird for Beth as when she was in Florida’s Universal Studios they had a of replica of the station, so it felt like she was in America not London! This in addition to the fact that she’d been in Cardiff, Nottingham, and now London all within a couple of days meant that she was feeling a bit weird (understandably!)

We decided to just walk to the hotel which was really really easy (except heavy cases) and check in was lovely and the man gave us room 325, told us about breakfast, and gave us a little piece of paper with the hotel's number on in case we needed to ring reception.

Some cleaners that we passed in the corridor were really friendly! And the room was great! It was a big corner room with two windows that looked out on to a quiet residential area. For £30 for the night we were very impressed.

DSC03928 by charloteaw21, on Flickr
(there was a single bed and another window to the left of this picture)

After a rest and some deliberation we got ready and decided that we would go to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park after all. We stopped at McDonald's to buy chips, and then went down in to Kings Cross and queued because we thought we could use Railcard discount to get cheaper travel, but the grumpy man behind the help desk said we couldn't use it, even though we have before.

DSC03932 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

7 stops on the Picadilly Line later and we were at Hyde Park Corner. Entered Winter Wonderland via the Apple Market and it was PACKED. We couldn't move. Regretted it slightly! Still looked around and it was nice, but just like an oversized Christmas-themed Goose Fair really (Goose Fair is an annual fair in Nottingham).

DSC03945 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

Walked to the big wheel and used that exit after taking a few photos. Used Marble Arch tube station to get home which was very busy. Without too much hassle we made it to Holborn then changed to Picadilly Line to St Pancras. We went to McDonald's again and sat down this time to eat chicken and bacon wraps followed by McFlurry!

When we were ready we walked back to the hotel, had a cup of tea, got ready for bed and settled down to watch 101 Dalmations (the live action film). We ate all the foamy strawberries sweets that Charlotte bought and also had a posh chocolate that I got for my birthday.

DSC03962 by charloteaw21, on Flickr

Afterwards we painted our nails and went to bed happy and ready to go to Disneyland.

Fab stared looking forward to more !
Royal Scott great I think.
Lol everybody loves twins :):)
How was winter wonderland thinking of going next year :)
We are now going the 14th till the 18th next December had to change my dates but very happy as min to fri xx

Fab stared looking forward to more ! Royal Scott great I think. Lol everybody loves twins :):) How was winter wonderland thinking of going next year :) We are now going the 14th till the 18th next December had to change my dates but very happy as min to fri xx

Winter wonderland was too busy to enjoy really. I would suggest leaving it unless you can get there in the morning but then you don't see all the lights!

Winter wonderland was too busy to enjoy really. I would suggest leaving it unless you can get there in the morning but then you don't see all the lights!

Agreed, especially going with children. We just followed the flow of the crowd really, with children it would have been difficult as I would have been worried about them getting lost in/overwhelmed by all the crowds!

Wow, fab start, very excited to read more!! :yay:
And I'm in agreement - everyone loves twins! We have them every generation in our family from ages 3 - 60+ Do you guys do kooky twin things? My brothers had a habit of sharing teenage jobs, tricking teachers and even broke the same thumbs at exactly the same time! When the last one got married, the other twin kept getting handed cards and presents!

A tantalising start. Looking forward to reading more about your trip girls. I'm sure like mine, Christmas has gotten in the way of yours. ;)

Wow, fab start, very excited to read more!! :yay:
And I'm in agreement - everyone loves twins! We have them every generation in our family from ages 3 - 60+ Do you guys do kooky twin things? My brothers had a habit of sharing teenage jobs, tricking teachers and even broke the same thumbs at exactly the same time! When the last one got married, the other twin kept getting handed cards and presents!

I keep pestering Christie to write more, but she isn't listening! :rotfl2: (TR is her job haha!)
Wow, that's a lot of twins! We do work in the same place actually, but it's a big department store and I work in the restaurant and Christie on the toy department. I have had customers telling me I just served them on toys! :confused3 Apart from that we try not to confuse people any more than they already are.
I think I like the sound of the wedding present saga - Christie gets married, I get presents :thumbsup2

A tantalising start. Looking forward to reading more about your trip girls. I'm sure like mine, Christmas has gotten in the way of yours. ;)

Yes, that pesky thing called Christmas :rotfl: and that we now have to come back down to the real world of exams and dissertations :eek:

I woke up before everyone else and was very eager to get up because we were GOING TO DISNEYLAND...Beth and charl were not so keen!

We got ready for 8:15, though it was more like 8:20 by the time I'd got all my layers on...whilst getting ready we had a bit of an issue with the mirrors because the main bathroom one was all weird and smudgy. However, as this was the only issue we encountered in our £30 a night room we didn’t mind too much!

Left the Travelodge with no issues and decided to walk to the train station.

DSC03963

Considered getting a taxi but we didn't really need to. It was a bit difficult pulling the cases but we weren’t in a rush and made it to the station in plenty of time. We walked all the way down to Boots in the station to buy dry shampoo and eyebrow pencils – two items that we thought were missing from our luggage…only to find in Disneyland that we did have them after all! I waited outside with the bags and then we had a cereal bar as a kind of pre-breakfast because all that walking had provoked hunger. By this time I think it was 9 o'clock and Charl saw that we could check in...yay!

Joined a queue for check in, it was not very long and were pleased to see that the conveyor to scan the bags was sloped so we wouldn't have to lift the heavy cases up. However, much to our dismay, when we reached the front of the queue, the attendant lady motioned for us to move down to a different queue. This was confusing because a) she didn't say it in English and b) it looked like we were pushing in to other people's lines!

Getting the cases on to the scanner was not actually too bad and none of us bleeped going through the scanners which was a relief, so then it was just a case of getting all coats and bags together and heading for a seat. We found a nice section near platform 7 and Charl and Beth went to get a proper breakfast from Cafe Nero. They returned with two pots of fruit, two teas, two pastries and an apple juice. £13!!!! We ate and enjoyed, then just sat for a little while and it was soon time to board.

DSC03966

Getting on the train was as stressful as it usually is, but because we rushed we were ok for luggage room. Once we were sat down, a very annoying man and his family proceeded to board the train. He was so loud! Also smelly! His children turned out to be quite annoying and when I started to watch Tangled on my iPod, the boy, aged approx 4 years, stood and watched it over my shoulder! Needless to say that I promptly turned it off! All his mum said to him was "don't get too close" - so annoying! There was also an issue because the Brussels trains were all cancelled due to a strike, so Eurostar had double booked the seats behind us.

DSC03968
We were both wearing stripes! (Unintentionally!!)

The journey proceeded to be quite loud and unpleasant to be honest. One family had Frozen playing at what seemed like 100 decibels and we had the annoying smelly family opposite us. Maybe it is unreasonable to expect a semi-quiet journey so close to Christmas, so I hope it doesn’t seem rude that we felt that way. We just really felt that people were letting their kids do whatever they wanted to because it was a train to Disneyland, when their behaviour on any other train would not really have been acceptable. I know I don’t have kids so it is easy for me to say but I really think there’s a difference between excited kids and badly behaved ones. Rant over!

The journey did feel quite long but I suppose it wasn't too bad. Soon enough we were in Disneyland! It felt so surreal going through Fantasia Gardens with our suitcases instead of into the village to the hotels around the lake.

DSC03973

Filled with wonderment, we went in to the hotel and joined the queue for check in. Minutes later it had grown immensely so we timed it right!

It took quite a while to check in, I think because we had to add two people to the booking. It only cost €13 in local taxes!! The lady gave us some fast passes and said we had to go back when they run out because she hadn’t been able to get them all? We later discovered that they have dates on which is a bit concerning because we didn't know and had used the wrong ones…

I was so excited/anxious when the lady gave us the room number and got my hopes up when she showed me it was on the a East Wing (room 1316). I knew that the East Wing is supposed to be the one with the nice views! This excitement grew when a CM in the lift said "that's a lovely room because it has a partial view of the park entrance" !!!!!!!!! He proceeded to show us to the door of our room! Only in the DLH!

In our room we discovered a beautiful platter of macarons that I had sent payment for but hadn't received confirmation so wasn't sure if they'd put them in or not. Opening the curtains revealed a view of the entrance, BTM, and the Christmas tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC03986

We also had a window seat! All that excitement caused me to have a nosebleed, which was over quite quickly (thankfully), so then I opened my suitcase to get ready to go out, and we just kind of rested for a few minutes.

DSC03990

Charlotte then produced PRESENTS! She had told me that she wasn’t doing anything like that! She gave us a bag each, a dragonfly necklace, a Tangled postcard, pretty tin mug, Santa chocolates, posh popcorn and two little Disney figures!

THEN we finally went out. Walked on to Main Street and loved the Christmas music. Not to mention the decorations! We all couldn't believe we were actually in Disneyland at Christmas. It was also surprisingly busy.

DSC04007

As per tradition we made our way to Small World. Despite the busy park, the queue didn't take too long and we enjoyed the Christmas overlay but did not enjoy the ceiling (never look at the ceiling in Small World!).

Our plans went a bit wrong here because we wanted to go to Hakuna Matata and then Pirates. It transpired that Hakuna was closed and Pirates had been temporarily stopped! Instead we explored some caves that we haven't seen before which was very fun indeed.

DSC04034

Next we used our hotel FP to do BTM. Never having had hotel FPs before, we weren't sure what to do with them as the normal FP entrance was closed. A lady and her daughter were having the same predicament as us, so we all kind of stood around after asking the man at the normal entrance what to do and receiving a very vague answer. Eventually he told us to "take them round to the left", which, thankfully, we realised he meant the disabled entrance. A few minutes later and were on the ride!

DSC04040
We really like BTM...not sure you can say the same for the poor person in the bottom left!

We then decided to go to the village to have Earl Of Sandwich and look in World of Disney. It was raining but it was ok (not torrential!) Walking out was weird knowing that the DLH is our hotel!

in EoS, I had steak, cheese and green peppers and it was delicious (in fact I am dreaming about it now as I write this…) We sat upstairs which was also nice as we could see the Sequoia.

DSC04043

Refuelled and ready to go, we decided not to go to World of Disney and just made our way back to wait for Dreams. We made a quick stop to our room to make some hot chocolate, only to find that the milk pods we'd put in the flasks for safe keeping had leaked and gone a bit congealed and mouldy so we had to resolve that issue by washing the flasks before we could leave! We also hadn't been given any spoons (or, er, mugs) with the kettle so had to guess the amount of hot chocolate we put in and stir it with the end of a toothbrush!

A hop skip and a boat ride away (name that film!) and we were back in the park for about 6:10pm. We decided to stand behind the hub, which turned out to be a great decision as the view was good and no one could stand in front of us. Well, apart from the (very!) small child that wedged itself between me and Beth, and also the people who thought it was ok to keep standing on the grass even when they'd been told not to.

DSC04047

I had a lovely experience in which I burned my tongue being a bit eager with the hot chocolate drinking.

Disney Dreams of Christmas was bit of a letdown really and has been renamed Disney Dreams of Frozen by Charlotte. When it had finished we waited for a few minutes then made our way through the arcade.

DSC04049

Had to cut across everyone so that we could get in to the hotel, which was quite the awkward experience. Not sure why it didn’t occur to use to just use the west entrance. Went for a quick look in the hotel shop but didn't buy anything.

We were soon back in our room to decorate and get ready for bed. Facetimed mum quickly then we put all the Christmas and birthday things up. It looked great and we loved it. We listened to the audiobooks for Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast, which was a lovely experience!
Then it was time for showers x3, diary writing and a bit of posh birthday chocolate eating before bed.

DSC04058

DSC04061

Thanks fur the tip about winter wonderland won't bother
Got a new plan now ;)
You've pics are fab love how you did your room up :goodvibes
How much could you go a EOS now ??
We love it there gutted when the london one shut :eek:
Was there not a Christmas sandwich then ?
More please x

Oooh another lovely instalment! Your room looks fab and those macarons! Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Loving this TR. Your photos are gorgeous and you write really well. :goodvibes

Fab room decorations - how did you attach things to the walls and ceiling - blutack?

Did the macarons taste as good as they looked?

Thanks fur the tip about winter wonderland won't bother
Got a new plan now ;)
You've pics are fab love how you did your room up :goodvibes
How much could you go a EOS now ??
We love it there gutted when the london one shut :eek:
Was there not a Christmas sandwich then ?
More please x

Ooh do tell, what's the new plan?!
I was very sad too when London's EOS shut :(
No sign of a Christmas sandwich!

Oooh another lovely instalment! Your room looks fab and those macarons! Looking forward to more :goodvibes

we did love our room decorations, we were very sad to take them down :(
The macarons were divine...we saved two each and ate them as a pre-breakfast on the castle balcony on day two like real princesses would :lmao:

Loving this TR. Your photos are gorgeous and you write really well. :goodvibes

Fab room decorations - how did you attach things to the walls and ceiling - blutack?

Did the macarons taste as good as they looked?

The photos were my job and I leave the TR writing to Christie :rotfl2:
You are exactly right - we used blu tack (well pink tack to be precise in keeping with the DLH theme!)
The macarons certainly did taste amazing. They had slightly soggy bottoms due to being placed on the orange segments but we didn't mind. Actually the orange and strawberry pieces were great too!

Ooh do tell, what's the new plan?!
I was very sad too when London's EOS shut :(
No sign of a Christmas sandwich!

Just had a massive disappointment re our may trip still going but will be staying at VDE now so had a bit pap day tbh had to rethink Money etc.

Rang about room only prices to add a extra night on to Xmas prices are mad Cheyenne was ok at £92 but VDE will be cheaper.

So thinking move the day we arrive to the Sunday maybe.
Then we can see wicked on the Saturday night in London maybe stay VDE on the Friday.
Still all up in the air now could do with a Christmas sandwich right now !!
Fab pics more please xxx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter