Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

More updates coming in lol. For Naples, I saw reports on instagram and facebook that you can book reservations on their website, not disney's site. If you want to eat there, I would say book a reservation before they fill up. I'm sure they will be running at a lower capacity.

I get made fun of because, whenever we drop in, I get the double fold vanilla :tongue:

I would 100% make fun of you for that. Of course, I also make fun of my husband because he gets the same two flavors every time we go. Me, I like to experiment!

I'm not surprised Salt & Straw is opening. They are basically a take away place anyway. Also, now I want Salt & Straw. Wonder if I can convince the hubby to go tomorrow...

New bag check procedure reported at WDW:

New bag check procedure
You put all your electronics and keys, anything metal in a clear plastic bag provided by Disney. The cm does not touch anything
You put your backpack back on and walk through the metal detector
Anything and everything metal must be put in the plastic bag or else it will set off the metal detector
They are the clear wdw ones. So yeah they're big

Ill be curious if anything is said to people wearing them with their noses hanging out. I suppose it’s better than nothing.. I imagine more droplets fly out of your mouth then your nose...?
That’s what I figure, too. It’s not ideal, but nostril hairs ought to filter out most of the droplets, and as long as the mouth is still covered, at least (allergy related?) coughs & sneezes, and moist talkers’ spittle will hopefully still caught, even if the mask isn’t worn as it ought to be.

I figure, given human nature and how people handle other safety rules (safety belts, signaling turns and lane changes, red light running, tax evasion, etc), that 100% compliance may be an unrealistic goal. There will probably always be some people who do the right thing because they have true understanding of why it is necessary and others, who merely comply as long as they’re being carefully watched and threatened with sanctions. In traffic, the bulk of risk of such behaviors is to themselves (plus the occasional “collateral damages”), but in a pandemic, such selfishness hurts others—maybe not immediately and directly but, as we can see from the current numbers, eventually.
🙁

The fact that there are security checks before entry to Downtown Disney (and, once they finally open, the parks) that will weed out the most stubborn “no mask is a question of principle”/“you can’t make me” people, will help.

This still leaves people who feel entitled to value their comfort over other people’s safety, who will have no problem wearing a face covering when entering but who will try to get around the requirement once inside.

I agree with previous posters that consistent reinforcement is key here, but I don’t envy cast members’ having to throw themselves into the middle of something that has been turned into a political issue by people who either don’t understand or don’t care about plain logic and public health.

I dunno do you think your brother would’ve felt like heading to Downtown Disney with COVID and a fever of 101? Probably not.

Most people I’ve spoken with who have actually felt sick with COVID said there was no way they would’ve wanted to leave their house. Several friends of friends have been completely asymptomatic or felt like they had mild allergies. Those are the people who are concerning, and they won’t be caught at the temperature screen. Because they aren’t running fever.
In my opinion, temperature checks could be seen as more of a DETERRENT than an attempt at “catching” people. I figure that most of us have heard stories of people trying to sneak kids with symptoms of contagious illnesses into the parks in the past (because they were only going to be there one day, because they already had the tickets, because they figured it wasn’t that bad, because of whatever they told themselves to convince themselves that it was ok...). Do you think that those families would be less likely to drag along a family member who is mildly symptomatic with what could be COVID?

Current data suggest that the threat of infecting others is highest in people who are at the beginning of their illness (when they might not feel at their worst yet and could still tell themselves that “oh, I’m just a little under the weather” or “maybe it’s nothing”).

If the idea of being “caught” and sent back at the temperature check makes some families with mildly symptomatic family members reconsider going that day, then those checks are being extremely helpful to the health and safety of all of us, even though, from just looking at the numbers of how many people they actually find, it may not look that way.

That is one of the huge problems we (not just this country but most other countries, too) are facing right now. Doing the right thing to combat a dangerous, contagious disease (closing down early on, testing aggressively, contact tracing, and reopening gradually with abundant, ongoing diagnostic and serological testing as well as safety measures such as face coverings and distancing requirements firmly in place) will result in lower numbers and will continue to, as a side effect, produce nay-sayers who point at those numbers as “see, it isn’t as bad as those ‘experts’ said it would be” and who, in some cases, then attack the very measures that have been keeping them safe as unnecessary.

That said, I love the above pictures of characters on horses. I figure that all performers are tested frequently and that their not wearing a mask is therefore not too much of a risk to either them or others, given that they are outside and maintaining their distance. Yes, more current numbers warn about transmission by aerosol making the 6-ft guidelines potentially not enough, but from what I can see all of these concerns refer to INDOOR transmission.

I saw one poster above express worries about that. I believe that it is, in finding our long term strategies for managing this disease until and (depending on effectiveness) beyond a safe and widely available vaccine hits the market, important to find a reasonable balance between rigor and pragmatism. Where exactly that sweet spot between being not being rigorous and not being pragmatic enough is located, will continue to be subject to debate, both by researchers and policy makers, and will continue to keep changing based on our evolving knowledge about COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 virus that spreads it.

My brother is almost over COVID-19 and for nearly 9 days had a 101 fever. How is it that temperature checks will accomplish nothing?

I am genuinely curious as I don’t work in health care at all and have zero knowledge in the area.
That's a good question. Checking temperatures can certainly be helpful for people like your brother who show the classic symptoms (and I hope he is feeling better). However, there are people who have COVID-19 who are asymptomatic- they may not be showing symptoms, but they can pass it on to others. This has certainly been an issue with this disease. That's why masks and social distancing are important. If you are asymptomatic, or alternately just not yet presenting with symptoms that WILL show, you are protecting others around you, or yourself from those that may have it and not know (or care).
Thank you for asking. As someone in healthcare, I truly appreciate people who are curious and willing to ask if they aren't sure. :)

I figure that all performers are tested frequently
WDW Entertainment CMs have not been tested at all. Disney doesn’t / won’t provide testing which is why the Equity Actors - CMs with scripted lines in shows - and their Union won’t agree with the new contract.

“Actors’ Equity, which represents about 750 Disney World performers, has been sparring with the company over coronavirus testing. The union has refused to allow members to return to work until Disney provides regular tests.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/business/coronavirus-disney-world-reopening.html

Dude. Indy line will stretch to Main St even at 25% park capacity without physical distancing if they did that 😂 Dino is darn near a walk on many days at WDW with AK at normal capacity (cause it sucks). But Indy... Indy with one car per party sounds like a complete nightmare. Like, it’s my favorite ride in all of DLR, but for the love of Indy don’t bother to open it if they’re gonna give it a capacity of one party per car!
You said it! Wait times, even at 25% capacity, are going to be horrendous on rides like Indy. I travel solo on half my trips to Disney. Folks would be hating on me for taking up that much real estate.

Testing is not a reasonable demand right now because it is not feasible. I don't think Disney can get their hands on that many tests in order to test them. Most companies are not testing workers on a daily basis. My husband's job is considered essential work by the government and he has to go into work each day. They MUST wear masks at all times, wash hands, use hand sanitizer, and maintain 6 feet of distance whenever possible. This is going to have to be industry standard. I teach. When I go back to work in the fall with a classroom of teenagers, there will not be testing of staff or kids. We will be wearing masks, but I am personally worried, because with the new lax discipline policies at schools in California, we will probably not be able to enforce mask wearing. It would be great to test everybody on a regular basis, but it is just not possible with the demand for tests.

Testing is not a reasonable demand right now because it is not feasible. I don't think Disney can get their hands on that many tests in order to test them. Most companies are not testing workers on a daily basis. My husband's job is considered essential work by the government and he has to go into work each day. They MUST wear masks at all times, wash hands, use hand sanitizer, and maintain 6 feet of distance whenever possible. This is going to have to be industry standard. I teach. When I go back to work in the fall with a classroom of teenagers, there will not be testing of staff or kids. We will be wearing masks, but I am personally worried, because with the new lax discipline policies at schools in California, we will probably not be able to enforce mask wearing. It would be great to test everybody on a regular basis, but it is just not possible with the demand for tests.
The main concern is that WDW is sending out entertainment CMs without masks to perform throughout the parks. Equity are usually in shows in enclosed locations which have yet to reopen. DL doesn’t seem to have Equity CMs.

Here’s the Cavalcade from yesterday with unmasked performers:

I wonder how they are sanitizing those heads.
Yeah; that's my first thought too. The risk is more fellow CMs than visitors >6ft open space in moving vehicle or parade.

If I were the union, would insist on UVC light inside those costume heads for 30min sanitization over testing -- hopefully they have that already negotiated.

I wonder how they are sanitizing those heads.
DD was a character performer for the past decade. They spray the inner portion of the heads with a natural, vinegar-based disinfectant that isn’t very strong - the inside of the heads are similar to papier-mâché to keep them lightweight. A nice breeding ground for whatever is going around. At least they don’t share unsanitized heads.

You said it! Wait times, even at 25% capacity, are going to be horrendous on rides like Indy. I travel solo on half my trips to Disney. Folks would be hating on me for taking up that much real estate.
Depends. 3 rows of 4. if party of 2 riders - could feasibly do row 1 : seat 1-2; and row 3 set 3-4 with pretty good physical distancing. That's 33% ride capacity on a 25% capacity -- math says nearly matched at least in the beginning unless everyone flocks to IJA.

I think harder capacity controls will be nemo subs and small world

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter