Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Newsome is speaking now. Relevant highlights:
  • All counties in the state are required to close all indoor operations; he specifically mentioned indoor dining, wineries, bars, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos (aren't these mostly outside?) and museums.
  • All counties on the county monitoring list are also required to close indoor fitness centers, places of worship, personal care (salons, barbershops), offices in noncritical sectors, and malls.
  • Four additional counties have been added to the watch list (Placer, Sonoma, Sutter, and Yuba), for a total of 30 counties.
  • He encourages watching the 7-day average in cases rather than daily case counts in order to gauge how the state is performing. The 7-day average is trending upwards.
  • The positivity rate has "settled" around 7.4%. [Editorial note: "Settled" sounds like stabilization, no? Here's hoping.]
  • Hospitalizations lag positive cases and are starting to increase. Hospitalizations are up 28% over the past two weeks, but that is better than the previous two weeks' 50%, and the rate of increased hospitalizations is starting to slow. But, ICU admissions are increasing. But, only 16% of the state's ICU capacity is being utilized and there are 10,000+ ventilators available in the aggregate, those some counties are short. [Another editorial note: Seems like kind of a mixed bag here.]
  • Verbatim: "Until there is a vaccine or effective therapy, we will be mitigating the spread of COVID-19 for the long-term. Californians must adapt to new behaviors if we are to slow the spread."
He's encouraging masks, handwashing, and physical distancing now, so I think we are done with the big announcements.

Last edited:
Newsome is speaking now. Relevant highlights:
  • All counties in the state required to close all indoor operations; specifically mentioned indoor dining, wineries, bars, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos (aren't these mostly outside?) and museums.
  • All counties on the county monitoring list are also required to close indoor fitness centers, places of worship, personal care (salons, barbershops), offices in noncritical sectors, and malls.
  • Four additional counties added to the watch list (Placer, Sonoma, Sutter, and Yuba).
  • He encourages watching the 7-day average in cases rather than daily case counts in order to gauge how the state is performing. The 7-day average is trending upwards.
  • The positivity rate has "settled" around 7.4%. [Editorial note: "Settled" sounds like stabilization, no? Here's hoping.]
  • Hospitalizations lag positive cases and are starting to increase. Hospitalizations are up 28% over the past two week, but that is better than the previous two week's 50%, and the rate of increased hospitalizations is starting to slow. But, ICU admissions are increasing. But, only 16% of the state's ICU capacity is being utilized and there are 10,000+ ventilators available in the aggregate, those some counties are short. [Another editorial note: Seems like kind of a mixed bag here.]
I'll edit to update additional highlights.
So does this mean DTD has to close???! :(

So does this mean DTD has to close???! :(
Yeeesh, I did not immediately put two and two together on that. It sounds like all indoor dining at DTD will have to close if there is any, and possibly indoor shopping if Orange on the county watch list. He wasn't really clear about that though. He said "malls". A traditional mall to me is an entirely enclosed building with shops. Not an outdoor shopping area.

Whew!! But wait, can you still shop inside the stores?!
We need a definition of "malls". But he didn't mention anything like Target has to close, or curbside delivery for retail, or anything like that. So I'd think DTD shops are not a "mall" and are still okay.

We need a definition of "malls". But he didn't mention anything like Target has to close, or curbside delivery for retail, or anything like that. So I'd think DTD shops are not a "mall" and are still okay.

Were any of the restaurants allowing indoor dining? I haven't kept track of OC specifically, I want to say they were allowing indoor dining, but would not be allowed anymore.

Target was open during the hard lockdown. I think it falls under grocery so it doesn't have to close.

Our September trip is canceled :sad: The rest of our payment for our DVC rental is due July 25. I'm sitting here debating if we should cancel now and be out the initial payment but not lose the rest, or go ahead and pay it and hope that they're still closed come September so that we can reschedule for free. If we gamble and they're open we lose the whole rental amount 😭 . Anyone want to speculate on when they'll be opening to help me decide?

Between more restrictions being placed, and LA/SD announcing no reopening of schools this fall... Disneyland 2021 might actually be a reality.

I'm still bullish on a fall reopening, though. Less so, today.
I was just thinking this....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter