• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Secrets

Plenty of bumping, but not many secrets lately, so ...

This is real one - not an urban legend or what "a CM told me".

There is a "button that opens Disneyland".

I can vouch for the button being solid matter. As for its effect, it may have more to do with Disney magic than with electromechanics.

I can vouch for the button being solid matter. As for its effect, it may have more to do with Disney magic than with electromechanics.

Before they remodeled the Kodak photography shop at the end of Main Street the "button that turned on Disneyland" was located in there. There is a door that is on the corner of the building toward the hub. There used to be a cabinet right there that had a small door. Open the door and there was a button and a phone handset. I was standing there once (before the remodel!) and the CM asked a child whether he wanted to open Disneyland? They opened the little door in the cabinet and the child pushed the button. Immediately the welcome announcement started and they dropped the rope.

Since the remodel that cabinet is gone and the rope drop has been moved out into the hub, so I don't know what they do now.

Paul Frees was the narrator on Haunted Mansion, and...

Thurl Ravenscroft (who recently passed away last month) was the main vocal on Grim, Grinning, Ghosts (the song in the graveyard). He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes).

Thurl Ravenscroft was also the voice of the Disneyland Railroad for quite some time.

As for Groundbreaking to Park Opening, many people have been told that it was one year, to the day, which is not accurate, it is one year and one day (a total of 366 days)

The secret restroom has moved. It is actually a companion bathroom that used to be on Main Street, just the other side of Rancho del Zocalo. It has been moved to Aladdin's Oasis, although the Oasis is not currently listed on the map. It's between the Jungle Cruise exit and the Tiki Juice and Dole Whip counter. There's also a companion restroom on Tom Sawyer Island, and one in the First Aid station on Main Street.

at the secret bathroom stuff. Too funny. We'll have to watch out for the crazy lady in a week...
Not a permanent secret but a personal experience. Last year in the bathroom close to Fantasy Faire, the bathroom cleaning lady sang "One day my prince will come" while mopping. Not sure if she was instructed to do so or merely inspired by the surroundings...
:goodvibes

I don't know if this is really a secret, but it's pretty cool...

In the Indiana Jones temple, you see weird writing all over it. When the ride first opened, they gave out cards with the cypher for the writing. I remember getting one when I was a kid. Figuring out what the writings said made the time go by quicker, especially since the ride was new and the line was forever long.

Also, the card was an advertisement for AT&T collect calling, on one side of the card was a the cypher, on the other side was a "1-800-Call-ATT" advertisement.

I wish I had kept that card.

Here's a picture of the card I found online!

i-VgZbRTd.gif

Thanks, Brumbie, and love your Goofy movie quote.

Before they remodeled the Kodak photography shop at the end of Main Street the "button that turned on Disneyland" was located in there. There is a door that is on the corner of the building toward the hub. There used to be a cabinet right there that had a small door. Open the door and there was a button and a phone handset. I was standing there once (before the remodel!) and the CM asked a child whether he wanted to open Disneyland? They opened the little door in the cabinet and the child pushed the button. Immediately the welcome announcement started and they dropped the rope.

Love it :thumbsup2

I wish I had kept my Indy card too. I stood in about a 2 hour line to ride just after it opened, clutching my decoder card the whole way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter