• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
Hi- is there a start date to this feature? I am going in Juneau for a once in a lifetime trip from Jersey- and I am very used to the fast pass system at DisneyWorld so this seems interesting to me.

Hi- is there a start date to this feature? I am going in Juneau for a once in a lifetime trip from Jersey- and I am very used to the fast pass system at DisneyWorld so this seems interesting to me.
Not yet, but things are moving into place. Toy Story FPs started already, Matterhorn FPs are expected to start when it reopens the last weekend of this month, which is also the same week that Wifi hotspots are reported to be testing. So, I think we're getting close. Fingers crossed it'll be started by mid-May!

Not yet, but things are moving into place. Toy Story FPs started already, Matterhorn FPs are expected to start when it reopens the last weekend of this month, which is also the same week that Wifi hotspots are reported to be testing. So, I think we're getting close. Fingers crossed it'll be started by mid-May!

Wifi hotspots? That the first I've heard of that. That could be good news.

For everyone's info who may not be familiar with WDW, when they implemented their FastPass Plus as part of their My Disney Experience smartphone app, they installed free Wifi thoroughly throughout the parks.

That DLR would do something similar for MaxPass is what I would expect. It will also help those traveling from abroad get cheap (free) smartphone access to MaxPass.

:wizard:

In addition to what HydroGuy said above, I just wanted to add that reliability of Wifi at WDW is usually good, but not always. I don't recall using a ton of extra data on my last trip, but if you're visiting from outside the U.S. you might want to look into data options before your trip if you plan on using MaxPass.

In addition to what HydroGuy said above, I just wanted to add that reliability of Wifi at WDW is usually good, but not always. I don't recall using a ton of extra data on my last trip, but if you're visiting from outside the U.S. you might want to look into data options before your trip if you plan on using MaxPass.
While we are on the subject, I invested in a good portable battery charger for my phone before visiting WDW (from Anker). With the constant cell phone use for the WDW MDE app, it can suck all your power down by the evening. Then you can't keep track of your FPs and dining, etc.

My guess is MaxPass will not require as much power as does WDW MDE, but I will still bring my charger with me to DLR.

:wizard:

I truly hope that it never becomes the "norm" and that the free passes will be available because we're looking at 6 people multiplied by however many days we stay and how much it ends up, we may be doing DisneyWORLD instead.

Can I ask if it looks like they will aslo introduce wifi in the parks? We travel from abroad, and if Maxpass is as it is we won't be able to use it due to roaming costs of data.

Wifi at WDW was great, we had 3 trips relying on it and never had any issues.

I worry about the "free wifi" that they might put in at DLR. I have trouble even logging into the "Pier" network so I can play the fun wheel game and the DAS scanners sure do struggle with the network too and that is on the already provided wifi that is in place so they kind of already have a history of shoddy wifi/wifi related services that dont work as they are supposed to and no one has been running out to fix it.

Can I ask if it looks like they will aslo introduce wifi in the parks? We travel from abroad, and if Maxpass is as it is we won't be able to use it due to roaming costs of data.

Wifi at WDW was great, we had 3 trips relying on it and never had any issues.

Yes, they just announced it.

What about those people who aren't interested in PhotoPass? I resent being forced to pay for something I don't want (PhotoPass) in order to use the app for FastPasses. Especially when I can get digital FastPasses for free at WDW. The two services aren't even related - PhotoPass has absolutely nothing to do with FastPass.

I agree with this. I get why some people pay for photopass but it's not my thing, so it's not a motivation.

Toy story fast pass might be nice. Matterhorn is pretty useless. I wonder why they picked that one- if they wanted to fast pass something, it would have been nice to do it to a ride that is really popular, like Peter Pan. I really like that PP is on the FP+ system at Wdw. Matterhorn is a one and done ride for me- it's uncomfortable- but I don't remember waiting very long for that ride ever.

I agree with this. I get why some people pay for photopass but it's not my thing, so it's not a motivation.

Toy story fast pass might be nice. Matterhorn is pretty useless. I wonder why they picked that one- if they wanted to fast pass something, it would have been nice to do it to a ride that is really popular, like Peter Pan. I really like that PP is on the FP+ system at Wdw. Matterhorn is a one and done ride for me- it's uncomfortable- but I don't remember waiting very long for that ride ever.

Currently there is no room for a FP return line at Peter Pan.

I imagine they were looking for a high demand ride with room to add a FP return line. Matterhorn is a natural since they have 2 lines already. If MaxPass takes off, I have no doubt we'll see it added to a bunch more rides. I did hear a rumor they are considering a makeover of Fantasyland after SWL opens, so I wouldn't be shocked if that's when they made some big changes there to accommodate FP. I wonder how everyone would feel about it if they closed Mr. Toad to make room for a Peter Pan FP line........ :scratchin (purely conjecture on my part, but I imagine it will involve some tough choices like this).

Currently there is no room for a FP return line at Peter Pan.

I imagine they were looking for a high demand ride with room to add a FP return line. Matterhorn is a natural since they have 2 lines already. If MaxPass takes off, I have no doubt we'll see it added to a bunch more rides. I did hear a rumor they are considering a makeover of Fantasyland after SWL opens, so I wouldn't be shocked if that's when they made some big changes there to accommodate FP. I wonder how everyone would feel about it if they closed Mr. Toad to make room for a Peter Pan FP line........ :scratchin (purely conjecture on my part, but I imagine it will involve some tough choices like this).
I would really hate that decision, as I'm sure most would.

There's a lot of speculation that the closing of the Castle Heraldry shop was to build a queue for Peter Pan -- either FP or Standby (in which case the current queue area becomes the FP line). That is, unless something else is happening with that space that I haven't heard about yet.

I would really hate that decision, as I'm sure most would.

There's a lot of speculation that the closing of the Castle Heraldry shop was to build a queue for Peter Pan -- either FP or Standby (in which case the current queue area becomes the FP line). That is, unless something else is happening with that space that I haven't heard about yet.
I heard that too, but then heard that wasn't the case. But who the heck knows. I just don't think Disney would give up shopping space for a FP line. ;)

I heard that too, but then heard that wasn't the case. But who the heck knows. I just don't think Disney would give up shopping space for a FP line. ;)
If they think they could sell more MaxPasses, though... :)

But if they could still sell more MaxPass AND keep the shop open by closing an attraction instead.......

Actually wouldn't be shocked if they close the shop for it. I'm sure PP FP is a high priority for the new system. I just get nervous thinking where else it will go from there.

But if they could still sell more MaxPass AND keep the shop open by closing an attraction instead.......

Actually wouldn't be shocked if they close the shop for it. I'm sure PP FP is a high priority for the new system. I just get nervous thinking where else it will go from there.

At the rate the nickle and diming is going I think that we should all get nervous about where else it could go from here

From what I understand, it was one of the few shops left that wasn't owned by Disney. They were leasing a space, I guess. So I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they closed it for a FP queue. Heck, even an expanded regular queue that didn't spill out into the FL walkways would be worth it for customer experience. Especially if it's shaded.

At the rate the nickle and diming is going I think that we should all get nervous about where else it could go from here
I think the key here is expectations. Disney is this super huge corporate mega giant. They're going to nickel and dime us. It's just the capitalist way. To my knowledge, they haven't taken away anything that was free and made it 'premium' at this point. Everything so far has been optional (except overall ticket costs and such, but that's also to be expected). Not saying that won't change, but if it does, we adapt or we stop going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter