Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
Have you tried saying fewer offensive things? It might change your perspective.

You're talking about a specific segment of handicapped people (those who are able to use ECVs and otherwise function normally), and using that to imply that all handicapped people have it easy in the parks. Even for those who can use ECVs, I can't imagine they have it easy trying to "zip around" in bottlenecked areas. I get the point you were trying to make, but I think PP was justified in taking offense with the way you phrased it.

Well, in that case, I was equally offended when the poster I was replying to suggested that this new system discriminates against the handicapped. GMAFB!!!

This whole thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's not what Walt would've done. It creates classes based on wealth
I travel with my boyfriend, with just the two of us paying our own way, we can easily afford the max pass if we decide it's worth it for us.
But it's basically a class system disguised with a photo pass. Sure, staying onsite adds benefits like extra hours but nothing is lost to regular guests, indeed, you could argue off site has several advantages. There are a few things you can buy into like dessert packages but it has little to no impact on those who don't participate.
I am not sure I am comfortable grabbing fast passes via phone, saving tons of walking, enjoy more of the park leisurely, while zipping by big families with little kids who can't afford it.
It feels unDisney.

Isn't this exactly what Walt did with e-tickets?

While Disney is and always has been about memories and emotional connection, I think we may be a bit romantic to think profit hasn't always been a piece of the equations.

Last edited:
Isn't this exactly what Walt did with e-tickets?

While Disney is and always has been about memories and emotional connection, I think we may be a bit romantic to think profit hasn't always been a piece of the equations.

Except that e-tickets were not priced on top of an "all access" base price.

Except that e-tickets were not priced on top of an "all access" base price.

Sure. A ticket to a Cubs game was $1 in 1955, today I paid close to $100 per ticket for my family on a discount day.

I just think it's the way of the world when it comes to entertainment.

Does it though? The benefit of being a local is the convenience of being able to wake up one morning and go with your friends. At WDW, the hard to get restaurants book up at 6 months. There are a lot that you can get closer in but even places like Via Napoli (just a pizza place) book up months in advance. Is that really catering to locals? What about FP+ reservation times that need to be reserved 2 months out? Yes most rides don't need to be reserved that far out but nonetheless it's an inconvenience to locals. So, in conclusion, I completely disagree with you about WDW EQUALLY catering to locals, it's simply not the case.

So at the end of the day what we have is WDW catering more to long distance travelers and DL catering more to locals. Seems to balance out.

It depends on how local. I have family 2.5 miles from the parks and they do 3-4 hour trips often, if you have small group of 2 people or so you can book your 3 fast passes and go, different options pop up all the time. I had my Dad searching and changing fast passes while we were at the parks when he took his great grandson home for a rest. WDW restaurants aren't worth it, so I don't care how far they book out. DL has the good food.

Sure. A ticket to a Cubs game was $1 in 1955, today I paid close to $100 per ticket for my family on a discount day.

I just think it's the way of the world when it comes to entertainment.

It might be the same if they started charging you a per inning fee on top of that $100 ticket that used to get you access to the entire game.

I guess, I think of maxpass like skyboxes, or dugout seats they've added in front of box seats, or the premium club below box seats.

I'm shocked ther are enough people to keep paying more for entertainment, but there are. $200 cable bills, $100 for a family to go to a movie with popcorn, and an extra $10 for maxpass.

I think of it this way ... Disney is going to make X amount of dollars from DL. They can make that X amount of dollars in a number of different ways. One of them is to charge a set price for tickets to everyone, have free FPs, and no extras that you can buy to enhance your experience.

But adding extras that those with more disposable income can purchase ... well one effect that has is to help keep the price of the base ticket down because it provides an additional income source. Same is true for things like VIP tours. Is it "fair?" Maybe not. But the additional thousands of dollars Disney makes from VIP tours, WOC dessert packages, or charging for FPs by phone does have the effect of helping to keep the cost down as much as possible for park tickets.

If everyone paid the same amount, the base amount that would have to be paid by everyone would go up.

Personally I still like the system ... as long as you can continue to get free paper FPs.

Hardly. The physically handicapped get FP's the same as anyone else right now, which involves moving around. In fact, as it stands right now, they essentially have an advantage because they get to zip around on their chairs while others have to walk/run and get tired. So personally, as someone who has to walk/run around to get the FP's for my group, I'd have a much BIGGER incentive to pay the $10 than a physically handicapped person.

You make it sound like people with disabilities are living some enchanted life because they can "zip around" in wheelchairs and not get tired. Trust me...most would LOVE to be able to walk/run and not have to rely on a wheelchair. It's pretty gross to insinuate that someone in a wheelchair has it better.

You make it sound like people with disabilities are living some enchanted life because they can "zip around" in wheelchairs and not get tired. Trust me...most would LOVE to be able to walk/run and not have to rely on a wheelchair. It's pretty gross to insinuate that someone in a wheelchair has it better.

I used to give "fakers" stink face for cheating the system. Then I had my ACL replaced. From all outward appearances I was a "faker" but I really couldn't put full weight on the knee. It was interesting seeing wheelchair from the other side.

Sure, some rides it was a huge advantage... mostly Fantasyland where they don't have room to have a long line of differently-abled people to be waiting. But other rides sucked, like Space Mt, Pirates. And walkways really, really sucked.

So, I no longer just assume that someone that doesn't appear to need a wheelchair, but is using a wheelchair, is a faker. Maybe something not obvious, like a recent ACL replacement. AND, I no longer assume they are getting more done n a day simply because of the different access.

Hardly. The physically handicapped get FP's the same as anyone else right now, which involves moving around. In fact, as it stands right now, they essentially have an advantage because they get to zip around on their chairs while others have to walk/run and get tired. So personally, as someone who has to walk/run around to get the FP's for my group, I'd have a much BIGGER incentive to pay the $10 than a physically handicapped person.
Coming from someone who can walk but can't walk to the degree as I used to and would like nothing more than to walk down Mainstreet like everyone else and be able to burn some calories being on my feet all day instead of sitting in a scooter all day you honestly have no clue what your talking about until you have lost the ability to walk the parks like you used to and some never have even been given the gift of walking at all. This is NOT a perk!! If any of us could do the walking and do like everyone else and wait in line, trust me we would love to be like everyone else.

I used to give "fakers" stink face for cheating the system. Then I had my ACL replaced. From all outward appearances I was a "faker" but I really couldn't put full weight on the knee. It was interesting seeing wheelchair from the other side.

Sure, some rides it was a huge advantage... mostly Fantasyland where they don't have room to have a long line of differently-abled people to be waiting. But other rides sucked, like Space Mt, Pirates. And walkways really, really sucked.

So, I no longer just assume that someone that doesn't appear to need a wheelchair, but is using a wheelchair, is a faker. Maybe something not obvious, like a recent ACL replacement. AND, I no longer assume they are getting more done n a day simply because of the different access.
This is true we look like nothing is wrong with us but just because we look fine doesn't mean we don't have something wrong.

Yep...I was once one of those people thinking someone looked "healthy" enough to be walking. Oh to be young and naive again. Ha! I now have an autoimmune disease that can make it very painful to walk. I haven't needed a wheelchair in the parks at this point but I might some day. I look healthy and I'm only 35 years old. But people can't see the pain I have going on in all of my joints. So I no longer judge people based on what I can see on the outside.

The charging for it part sucks. Either have it included for everyone or not have it at all. This will make it harder for paper fastpass people if they don't want to pay, ugh!!

Yep...I was once one of those people thinking someone looked "healthy" enough to be walking. Oh to be young and naive again. Ha! I now have an autoimmune disease that can make it very painful to walk. I haven't needed a wheelchair in the parks at this point but I might some day. I look healthy and I'm only 35 years old. But people can't see the pain I have going on in all of my joints. So I no longer judge people based on what I can see on the outside.

Who is judging? Please go back and read all the replies. The original insinuation was that Disney's new DL FP policy discriminates against the handicapped. That's a joke and I'm railing against it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter