• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
I think that's the part that worries people.

I am more worried about ticket prices continuing to go up at 7, 8x the rate of inflation, then being nickled and dimed.

I HIGHLY doubt they would do something like closing Toad for Pan FP. Putting in FP cuts in half the number of people in the standby line to have the same wait time. The room saved on stand-by line would more than make-up for the FP line. They would just need to rework the entrance. Maybe they can do that next off-season/slow-time. (Did you see what I did there? I made a funny!)

The real question is, where do all those people not in the Pan FP line end up? Peeps going to be somewhere. If they are not in the line they used to be in, they are going to be somewhere.

I am more worried about ticket prices continuing to go up at 7, 8x the rate of inflation, then being nickled and dimed.

I HIGHLY doubt they would do something like closing Toad for Pan FP. Putting in FP cuts in half the number of people in the standby line to have the same wait time. The room saved on stand-by line would more than make-up for the FP line. They would just need to rework the entrance. Maybe they can do that next off-season/slow-time. (Did you see what I did there? I made a funny!)

The real question is, where do all those people not in the Pan FP line end up? Peeps going to be somewhere. If they are not in the line they used to be in, they are going to be somewhere.

Addition of FP does more than just shift people from one line to the other. You assume the number of riders remains static. Right now we skip PP because I don't want to fight my way there at rope drop and don't want to wait in a long line. If they add FP, we might ride it a couple times in the course of the day.

Addition of FP does more than just shift people from one line to the other. You assume the number of riders remains static. Right now we skip PP because I don't want to fight my way there at rope drop and don't want to wait in a long line. If they add FP, we might ride it a couple times in the course of the day.

But you riding it a couple times does not increase the total capacity. If you are riding it, someone else isn't.

But you riding it a couple times does not increase the total capacity. If you are riding it, someone else isn't.

Or the standby line just stays longer all day and it takes longer after park close to clear them all through.

Bottom line is that standby will always slow way down when FP is added since they will be feeding in a smaller number of people from that line.

Now here's a thought. What if they took the Toad ride (rumor it could be on chopping block :() and used that space for a queueless queue like Dumbo at WDW.

1) No way close toad!
2) Just rework the entrance of Pan and add FP. Put the FP machines outside the castle area, like between dumbo and storybookland.

1) No way close toad!
2) Just rework the entrance of Pan and add FP. Put the FP machines outside the castle area, like between dumbo and storybookland.

I worry about FP for Peter Pan. People are complaining about FP for Toy Story, which has a greater rider/hour I think and loads 8 people at a time as opposed to 2-3 at PP. I wouldn't mind FP for Peter Pan because then I could use the FP and get on the ride without rushing at rope drop. But I do worry that the wait time could be 70 minutes plus...

Now here's a thought. What if they took the Toad ride (rumor it could be on chopping block :() and used that space for a queueless queue like Dumbo at WDW.

I heard rumors about Toad closing as well. Nothing reliable at all though.

But something will definitely have to give if they add FP+ to PP. There is 0 chance they can fit FP+ return in there as it stands now. It's already too much of a roadblock.

They've already said Star Tours might move to DCA after SWL opens. Then I heard this rumor about a big Fantasyland redo after SWL opens and maybe loss of a ride or two. I can't even imagine. All those extra crowds brought in for 2 rides in SWL while possibly losing other rides in other areas of the park. That just has me scratching my head.

I heard rumors about Toad closing as well. Nothing reliable at all though.

But something will definitely have to give if they add FP+ to PP. There is 0 chance they can fit FP+ return in there as it stands now. It's already too much of a roadblock.

They've already said Star Tours might move to DCA after SWL opens. Then I heard this rumor about a big Fantasyland redo after SWL opens and maybe loss of a ride or two. I can't even imagine. All those extra crowds brought in for 2 rides in SWL while possibly losing other rides in other areas of the park. That just has me scratching my head.

Yeah it's crazy. I see no reason to remove Mr. Toad. It draws a decent crowd and generally has longer lines than Pinocchio and Snow White. Yes it has less capacity since it is only 2-3 per car, but still pretty popular. It is all rumors, and I hope it's not true. I'd much rather a queueless queue/interactive waiting area was installed than just plain queue space though.

I really hope the new "New Fantasyland" (Fantasyland 3.0?) includes additional rides and not just enhancements and removal of rides to create space.

I would love for the suits at Disneyland to change the name of Maxpass to something else. I don't know if it is because I am a female with two teen daughters that I think of feminine products (maxipads for example) and that is the last thing I want to think about when I am at Disneyland! Then, I would love for the suits at Disneyland before they start tearing everything down, go through and fix what needs to be fixed throughout the parks. Bring back the good eats that are/were special to Disneyland. Quit watering down the parks. Keep the special little sparks that makes Disneyland so unique, otherwise, it will feel just like every other amusement park.

That's such a big part of it, what you just said. Essentially, what's been going on at Disneyland in the past couple of years and continuing with this change is that Disneyland is throwing itself, lock stock and barrel, at local guests exclusively. They are trying to manage the load of local guests who visit, and upcharge them in specific ways that local guests would be comfortable about being upcharged. There is absolutely no, zero, element here, nor has there been in a long time, for the benefit of long-distance guests. Even though guests come from as far away as Australia, regularly, to visit Disneyland. I think that's what you're giving voice to.

Part of my point was that Walt Disney World doesn't do that. Even though most of its guests are long-distance, Walt Disney World equally markets itself to locals. It doesn't leave anybody out. After experiencing at WDW free and far more robust advance fast pass and dining reservations, cheaper ticket and annual pass prices, free airport and luggage transfers to and from your resort, on-site hotels in every price category, as a long-distance Disneyland visitor, it gets increasingly hard to look at the Anaheim resort and not expect the same things there. Especially when such things keep improving in Orlando.

You very quickly realize that in order to be a long distance visitor to Disneyland, especially now, you are expected to pay quite a lot more money for quite a lot less convenience versus simply going to Walt Disney World. It's a feeling almost as if Disneyland is breaking up with you after many years because you suddenly don't matter as a guest. I'm glad so many of these changes, especially this one, work for locals. But for those of us who have regularly visited both coasts, there's a point where it just starts to get ridiculous to sing the praises of paying more for a less convenient, more stressful vacation at Disneyland. Especially when you're very well aware that the same company has no problem offering long distance guests and local guests, both, an amazing welcome on the opposite coast.

Does it though? The benefit of being a local is the convenience of being able to wake up one morning and go with your friends. At WDW, the hard to get restaurants book up at 6 months. There are a lot that you can get closer in but even places like Via Napoli (just a pizza place) book up months in advance. Is that really catering to locals? What about FP+ reservation times that need to be reserved 2 months out? Yes most rides don't need to be reserved that far out but nonetheless it's an inconvenience to locals. So, in conclusion, I completely disagree with you about WDW EQUALLY catering to locals, it's simply not the case.

So at the end of the day what we have is WDW catering more to long distance travelers and DL catering more to locals. Seems to balance out.

It appears that a new mechanism is also being put into place for Maxpass. There are poles covered in green cloth appearing at entrances of some rides. I noticed them for sure at Haunted Mansion and at Soarin'. I wasn't really paying attention at other places. I asked about them at Sourin', and was told they were for the upcoming Maxpass.

I guess my biggest beef is this: when I walk into a Disney Park, I'm on equal footing with everyone else. I have the same chance at a FP, at a dining reservation, at a parade spot. Yeah, yeah, I know they have the uber-expensive dining plans where you get a good spot at WOC, F!, or a parade....and I HATE THOSE! At WDW, at least in the past, to get a F! Dining Package, you just signed up for it like a dining reservation - totally free with your meal. DL has gone to the nickel-and-dime policy, and that's a shame.

You really don't though. When you walk into a Disney park, especially at WDW, most ADR reservations are gone for the good restaurants. So unless you had the knowledge to book well in advance, you're just out of luck. Many times, even if you book at 6 months out, you're out of luck because the families that book long trips get the 180+10 which allows them to scoop the hard to get ADR.

Besides the wifi, who has a phone battery that lasts that long?

Just buy a battery pack.

Although I have no plans to use this new FP option (local and have a Signature Plus pass) I too am concerned about the words "introductory price". It is very a common marketing ploy to offer something at a great price and get people feeling like it is a "must have", then bump the price considerably. Disney is a master at making their fan base love spending more money and at figuring out ways to get us to spend more money. Could this be the beginning of a tier based system, where for free you get three FP a day, for $25 you get 6 and for a lot more $$$ unlimited FP with smaller windows before you can get the next FP? Only time will tell. I just caution all to keep in mind this could be just the beginning of monetizing FP. The more that partake in this the more traction a potential paid FP system might have.

Everything that has ever been sold is offered at an introductory price. Prices change based on supply and demand. Prices can go up or down. If nobody buys the MP, then prices will go down or Disney will scrap it altogether. Based on what I'm reading on this thread, it sounds like most people here aren't going to buy it. So if that is what actually happens, then that the $10 may drop.

Not everyone has unlimited funds. Different families find different ways to economize. When you include the cost of the data, the daily cost of the plan, the cost of the charging device, it all adds up.

That's life.

this seems like a money grab....why charge to use it?

Why not?

Disney has not specified exactly when you can start getting Fastpasses using MaxPass.
If it's really "when your ticket is scanned", that means that people who get early entry into either park will have an hour advantage over everyone else.
If it's at official park opening, imagine what rope drop would be with hundreds tapping on their smartphone while hundreds are rushing to Peter Pan's Flight, etc.

Simple solution if you're concerned about that. Don't go to the park with early hours.

I don't know what Disney intends, but I think the impact will mostly be to raise the trip cost for the physically handicapped.

$10 per person per day, to save on moving around, is mostly going to be worth it for people who have trouble moving around (which is why I'm thinking of getting it).

Again, I don't know what they intend, but this isn't okay.

Hardly. The physically handicapped get FP's the same as anyone else right now, which involves moving around. In fact, as it stands right now, they essentially have an advantage because they get to zip around on their chairs while others have to walk/run and get tired. So personally, as someone who has to walk/run around to get the FP's for my group, I'd have a much BIGGER incentive to pay the $10 than a physically handicapped person.

Having just come from DW in Dec I don't see why if they are going to do this they don't have magicbands. I was resistent to them too and I still don't like the idea of booking FP 60 days out and only getting 3 a day because with the tiers and the fact that we were not onsite we weren't able to do a lot of things. For example in Epcot we had to chose between Test Track, Soarin or Frozen. So that part I didn't like BUT I did like that we didn't have to worry about paper tickets and unlike DL my daughter didn't have to hold onto all our tickets and run all over to get FP. I like the idea of booking them on your phone but seems like they should then have a magicband linked to it because what if the person who MADE them isn't with someone else. For example I have teens and my mom is older and disabled so many times we make FP but then the girls end up using them as we get tired. They do have their own phones but what if they didn't? Or what if families want to split up. Or when I used to have an AP I would have to give my AP to my fp runner and then if we split up I wouldn't have it to get the discounts for food or in the shops. The idea sounds good but I think it needs to be fine tuned and paying for the PP is fine but just for the fp doesn't seem very fair.

So you want to DL to implement a system that limits each guest to 3 FP per day?

What about those people who aren't interested in PhotoPass? I resent being forced to pay for something I don't want (PhotoPass) in order to use the app for FastPasses. Especially when I can get digital FastPasses for free at WDW. The two services aren't even related - PhotoPass has absolutely nothing to do with FastPass.

So then don't buy MP and you won't be forced to pay for PP.

This whole thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's not what Walt would've done. It creates classes based on wealth
I travel with my boyfriend, with just the two of us paying our own way, we can easily afford the max pass if we decide it's worth it for us.
But it's basically a class system disguised with a photo pass. Sure, staying onsite adds benefits like extra hours but nothing is lost to regular guests, indeed, you could argue off site has several advantages. There are a few things you can buy into like dessert packages but it has little to no impact on those who don't participate.
I am not sure I am comfortable grabbing fast passes via phone, saving tons of walking, enjoy more of the park leisurely, while zipping by big families with little kids who can't afford it.
It feels unDisney.

What about the 95% of the world's population that has not and will never have the money to even step foot in a Disney park. Does that leave a bad taste in your mouth too?

What about the 95% of the world's population that has not and will never have the money to even step foot in a Disney park. Does that leave a bad taste in your mouth too?
I express a sensitivity to large families, and so you question my world politics? Huh?
Do human right violations, poverty, hunger, the # of global refugees being at WW2 levels, or sex trafficking leave a bad taste in my mouth?
Yep. Did I really need to clear that up?

It appears that a new mechanism is also being put into place for Maxpass. There are poles covered in green cloth appearing at entrances of some rides. I noticed them for sure at Haunted Mansion and at Soarin'. I wasn't really paying attention at other places. I asked about them at Sourin', and was told they were for the upcoming Maxpass.

Been there for awhile. Consensus is they will be for reading the fast pass off the phone.

I noticed them on our trip last month at BTMRR where the FP lines merges with the regular line.

Hardly. The physically handicapped get FP's the same as anyone else right now, which involves moving around. In fact, as it stands right now, they essentially have an advantage because they get to zip around on their chairs while others have to walk/run and get tired. So personally, as someone who has to walk/run around to get the FP's for my group, I'd have a much BIGGER incentive to pay the $10 than a physically handicapped person.

WOW just WOW.

I was there with my son last March while he was in a wheelchair. Here I was thinking we were exhausted pushing the wheelchair through crowds all day and maneuvering up inclines. I must have missed the part where we were just zipping around carefree while lounging lazily while other poor people had to exhaust themselves walking and running. We must have been doing it wrong but I guess I didnt see the easy setting. I didnt realize there was a restful zipping option on his wheelchair-obviously no one told him that either. shucks.

Im not trying to be a jerk here but your phrasing there was rather insensitive and offensive. you might want to consider that when you post about how easy the handicapped have it getting around compared to able bodied people.

WOW just WOW.

I was there with my son last March while he was in a wheelchair. Here I was thinking we were exhausted pushing the wheelchair through crowds all day and maneuvering up inclines. I must have missed the part where we were just zipping around carefree while lounging lazily while other poor people had to exhaust themselves walking and running. We must have been doing it wrong but I guess I didnt see the easy setting. I didnt realize there was a restful zipping option on his wheelchair-obviously no one told him that either. shucks.

Im not trying to be a jerk here but your phrasing there was rather insensitive and offensive. you might want to consider that when you post about how easy the handicapped have it getting around compared to able bodied people.

As I've said in other threads, multiple times, everybody gets offended about something these days.

As I've said in other threads, multiple times, everybody gets offended about something these days.
Have you tried saying fewer offensive things? It might change your perspective.

You're talking about a specific segment of handicapped people (those who are able to use ECVs and otherwise function normally), and using that to imply that all handicapped people have it easy in the parks. Even for those who can use ECVs, I can't imagine they have it easy trying to "zip around" in bottlenecked areas. I get the point you were trying to make, but I think PP was justified in taking offense with the way you phrased it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter