Disneyland Trip Report 7/22 - 726 Family of Five, 6, 4 and 1.5 Old

xQuizx

Mouseketeer
Hi folks as a long time reader of the forums I wanted to leave our trip report for Disneyland/California Adventure for the week of Sunday, July 22 to Thursday, July 26. My family includes me, my wife and our 3 kids, DD 6, DS 4 and DS 1.5.

I’m a California native who grew up going to Disneyland, but have since moved to Illinois. The last time I was in DL was in 2010, so I have experience with Fastpass. I had never been to DCA before. My wife has gone once with me in 2010, and this was our kids first experience.

Hotel Accommodation

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, which is located east of Disneyland off of Harbor boulevard. It is roughly 2,700 feet from the main entrance. My family walked from the hotel to DL/DCA daily and it took us roughly 15 minutes to walk. We had a single stroller and used it a couple of days, while one child walked and we used a baby carrier for the baby.

We had a room in Building 1 facing Disneyland. We were on the 6th floor and a clear view of the Matterhorn. From our balcony we could also look down at the hotel’s water park. We could watch the fireworks from our balcony every night.

The room had a little fridge and microwave. Around the microwave and fridge were storage areas where you could store snacks, bottles of water or cereal. There is also a little table with bench seating against the wall and little chairs. We used the table to eat breakfast and lunch.

There was no additional charge to park our car. Parking was plentiful at the hotel. If you wanted to park a second car it came out to around $24 a day, and you would have to park at the Marriott across the street. We used this option to park my cousin's car one day. There was no included breakfast at the hotel.

The hotel has a small water park which has 1 big slide (not really big) and 2 side by side racing slides. There is a bucket that tips over and splashed the kids. There is a splash area and a zero depth to 1 foot pool for the little guys. There is also a hot tub in this area. There is a second pool on the other side of the property that is 4 to 5 feet deep.

2 Pictures - View from room and fireworks at night.

Sunday, July 22

We bought a 5 day single park pass through Ares Travel. Before you can enter the parks you have to get your physical tickets through the ticket stations located between DL and DCA. This process took around 30 minutes to do. I recommend getting your tickets early when you get there. For multi day tickets the CM requests first and last names for each ticket. I had to write it down on a piece of paper and show them. In the future I will print out a list of names and ages.

We finally entered Disneyland a little past 8:30PM. I asked the kids which ride they wanted to go on first and they said Tea Cups. We had to wait one turn on the Tea Cups before riding. Then we walked onto Pirates of the Caribbean and finished off with Buzz Light Year Astro Blasters (used a FP). After that we went back to our hotel for the night.

Monday, July 23 - Disneyland

We arrived at the parks at around 8:00AM. There was a long line through security to get to the entrance and another line to get into Disneyland. We ate breakfast in line, which comprised of Gogurts and Pop-Tarts. We also put sunscreen on in line as well.

We entered DL at 8:30AM and went straight to Fantasyland and rode the following:

· Snow White’s Scary Adventure (No Wait)
· Pinocchio’s Daring Journey (NW)
· Peter Pan’s Flight (10)
o Peter Pan just opened after we walked off of Pinocchio
· Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (5)
· Casey Jr. Circus Train (10)
· Small World (NW)
· Haunted Mansion (10)
· Pirates of the Caribbean (10)
· Tiki Room

Crowds - In the morning it didn’t feel too crowded. Most rides were a short wait.

On all the rides our DS rode in the baby carrier. The CM’s did not ask us to remove him out of it.

We left Disneyland at 12:00PM to go to the beach with family.

At 9:45PM we watched the fireworks from our balcony.

Tuesday, July 24 – Disney California Adventure

We followed the same routine of eating breakfast and putting sunscreen in line while we were going through security and the main gate.

We entered DCA at 8:15AM.
· Grabbed FP to IncrediCoaster
o Return of 8:55AM – 9:55AM
· Toy Story Midway Mania (NW)
o After we got off the ride it said 20 minute wait
· Pixar Pal-A-Round Swinging (10)
o We rode the swinging car, next time I don’t think we will do that. The kids were scared.
· IncrediCoaster FP
o Extended family showed up so we didn’t use rider switch.
· Grabbed FP to RSR
· Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
· The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure (NW)
· Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies
· Flik’s Flyers
· Grabbed FP Guardians of the Galaxy
· Lunch
· Watched Frozen Live at the Hyperion Theater
· Grabbed FP to Grizzly River Run
· Radiator Springs Racers
o Grabbed a rider switch ticket
· Guardians of the Galaxy
· Radiator Springs Racers Rider Switch
· Grabbed FP to Soarin
· 3:30PM Walked back to hotel for early dinner and to rest
· 7:00PM back to park
· Grizzly River Run
· Soarin
· My family went back to the hotel to sleep and watch the fireworks from our balcony

Crowds - Lines felt a lot longer at this park, every ride we rode after park opening had at least a 20 minute wait except for Little Mermaid.

We didn’t bring our stroller to the park this day, that was a big mistake. The kids were tired of walking at around 10:00AM. There isn’t much shade at DCA, so we were all very hot.

Wednesday, July 25 - Disneyland

We brought our single stroller to the park as well as renting an additional stroller from Disney for $15. If you rent 2 strollers it’s $25 total.

We also purchased MaxPass for my family and our extended family. It was $90 for all 9 tickets and let me tell you it was absolutely worth it. It felt like we were going from ride to ride to ride.

We also did the Fantasmic Hungry Bear dining package this day.

Here are the rides starting at 7:23AM:

· FP for Star Tours
· Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
· Astro Orbitor
o Baby could not be in carrier and must wear socks or shoes.
· MP Splash Mountain
· Star Tours x2
o Rider switch
· MP Space Mountain
· MP Indiana Jones
· Splash Mountain
· MP Haunted Mansion
· Haunted Mansion
· MP Matterhorn Bobsleds
· Indiana Jones x2
o Rider switch
· Space Mountain
· MP Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin
· Lunch – Alien Pizza Planet
· Matterhorn Bobsleds x2
o Rider Switch
· Alice in Wonderland
· MP Small World
o I grabbed MP’s for Splash Mountain which broke down so we could use MP for any ride
o Through the evening I grabbed random MP’s to Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and other rides. The teenagers in our group used those MP’s.
· Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin
· Small World
· Pictures in front of Tea Cups
· Pictures in front of Castle
· Pirates of the Caribbean
· Dinner – 3:15PM Hungry Bear Restaurant
o We also received our tickets for Fantasmic viewing.
· Jungle Cruise
· Peter Pan’s Flight
· King Arthur Carousel
· Pooh Corner
· 8:00 PM line up for Fantasmic

Crowds – Using MaxPass we felt like we were rushing from ride to ride. Rides without a FP the waits didn’t seem terribly long, although we did pick rides that could handle a steady stream of people.

MaxPass – In my opinion this is totally worth it. I like being able to see what rides we have MP for and when. It makes planning our route a lot easier. I also like getting all the pictures that were taken at the park via CM’s or on the ride. Getting the photos from the rides can take a little time to upload to your account. Some of the ride photos didn’t upload until the following day, whereas photos taken by CM’s uploaded within a few minutes. Make sure to put in your credit card info before going into the park. I had trouble inputting my credit card info when I was in the park. For some weird reason my account had the wrong zip code which was causing my credit card to to be rejectted.

Rider Switch – We’ve never used this function before, but let me tell you it’s great. For rides with a FP, the CM will scan your tickets and give you 3 additional FP tickets. 1 person will go on the ride with the kids, while 1 person waits with the kids that can’t go. Then when the first person gets back you switch with them and enter through the FP line with your FP tickets you were given for rider switch. But before you can get the rider switch tickets you have to show the CM that you indeed have a child that can not go on the ride. For rides without FP like Autopia, the CM will scan the ticket of the adult that can’t go. When the first person gets back, the second adult goes through the regular line and then shows their ticket to the CM in line, where they will scan and let you go to the front. The way the line is oriented, the back part of the line passes by the area where riders enter the cars. A CM is positioned there to allow rider switches to bypass the long line that snakes around back. It sounds confusing, but when you see how the line is oriented it makes sense.

Fantasmic Dining Package through Hungry Bear restaurant - You line up at Harbour Galley which is near the exit of the Haunted Mansion. There is a line for Hungry Bear, Blue Bayou and the other restaurant package. At 8 they walk you down to your section where you can take a seat on the ground. Basically it’s Hungry Bear restaurant, then Blue Bayou and then the other restaurant. We sat at the very front of the section with the gates in front of us. You sit in this section until the show starts at 9:30PM. If you need to leave the section to grab food or use the restroom, the CM will hand you a Fantasmic ticket so you can get back into the section. Our view was the very front of the island, so we had a great view of the water screen as well as the main stage. After the show the speakers will make an announcement requesting you to stand to watch the Pixar fireworks show. The water screens in front of the island show the graphics on the castle, and you can see the fireworks in the back. It’s a great spot to be.

1 Picture from where we were seated.

Thursday, July 26 – Disneyland

This was our last day in Disneyland. We had a departing flight of 6:40PM through LAX. We took our time and rode the train around the park. We rode Pirates again as well as a few more ride. We watched a show and bought some souvenirs before heading out.

Thoughts

We went to the parks on days that didn’t have magic mornings. Crowds in the mornings seemed lighter then the afternoon. We had 1 magic morning, but we couldn’t use it, since we were so tired. On future trips if we have a magic morning, we will use it at the start of the trip when we are least tired.

If you have kids I suggest getting a stroller. My wife and I could handle the walking, but the little ones were exhausted. There’s ample stroller parking spaces near the rides, so you don’t have to worry about finding a spot.

Overall it was a great trip, tiring but fun. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!Room 01.JPG
Room 02.JPG Fantasmic 01.JPG

I will recommend that next trip You buy your tickets through last minute travel club. No waiting for them. They e-mail them to you!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your very detailed trip report. I don't travel with young kids but it was still an interesting read and will be very helpful to others.
It sounds like you guys had a great time!

I will recommend that next trip You buy your tickets through last minute travel club. No waiting for them. They e-mail them to you!

I tried buying through Last Minute Travel and for some weird reason I couldn't add the tickets to my cart. I tried calling them as well but was on hold for quite a while without an answer. In the end the difference in price was was $11.50 a ticket.

Nice report, any additional advice on taking a toddler?

Tips for a toddler:

Bring a carrier. DS 1.5 was in a carrier pretty much the whole trip. He was either facing outward when he was awake, or inwards when he was taking a nap. We never used stroller for our baby which saved us time buckling him and out. Majority of the rides we were on, it was alright to keep baby in the carrier. He was very entertained with everything going on, either on the rides or just watching the people or surroundings.

Bring lots of snacks. It was a hit or miss on what our baby would eat in the parks, fortunately we had ample snacks we had bought at the grocery. We had breakfast in the hotel, which we bought at the grocery, and dinner in the evenings either in the park or off site.

Bring a sippy cup or straws. It was really hot when we went so we were all drinking lots of water. I was forcing DS 4 and DD 6 to keep drinking water throughout the trip. Our baby isn't very good at drinking from a water bottle, he keeps back washing his drink, so he had his own water bottle, LoL.

Buy bottles of water from the grocery and store in the fridge in the room. It's convenient for us to just grab 6 bottles of cold water in the morning before we leave for the park. It is heavy in the beginning but as you progress through the day, you can keep tabs on how much water everyone has drunk. When you do drink all your water, you can refill the bottles in the park. I prefer metal containers over the plastic bottles, but when I'm carrying all the snacks and water, plastic bottles are a lot lighter. Also that leads to the next thing.

Be wary of the heat. If your baby is in a carrier, he'll get really hot so take him out and hold him regularly so he can cool off. Watch shows when it's the hottest parts of the day so you're out of the sun or in air conditioning. What I like about Disneyland compared to DCA is all the shade in the lines. There are exceptions like Smallworld, so I would suggest getting a FP there.

Bring a stroller. You may not be putting baby in there, but if you have other kids they will need it. Plus you can put all your bottles of water and snacks in the stroller.

Last is realize you're on vacation and to take it easy especially with a little one. The days we were with my cousin's family and racing around the park felt really hectic compared to the days where it was just us in Fantasyland. Fantasyland in the morning is great, since there are less people and all the baby friendly rides are close to each other.

Other then that have fun!

Cheers!

Tips for a toddler:

Bring a carrier. DS 1.5 was in a carrier pretty much the whole trip. He was either facing outward when he was awake, or inwards when he was taking a nap. We never used stroller for our baby which saved us time buckling him and out. Majority of the rides we were on, it was alright to keep baby in the carrier. He was very entertained with everything going on, either on the rides or just watching the people or surroundings.

Bring lots of snacks. It was a hit or miss on what our baby would eat in the parks, fortunately we had ample snacks we had bought at the grocery. We had breakfast in the hotel, which we bought at the grocery, and dinner in the evenings either in the park or off site.

Bring a sippy cup or straws. It was really hot when we went so we were all drinking lots of water. I was forcing DS 4 and DD 6 to keep drinking water throughout the trip. Our baby isn't very good at drinking from a water bottle, he keeps back washing his drink, so he had his own water bottle, LoL.

Buy bottles of water from the grocery and store in the fridge in the room. It's convenient for us to just grab 6 bottles of cold water in the morning before we leave for the park. It is heavy in the beginning but as you progress through the day, you can keep tabs on how much water everyone has drunk. When you do drink all your water, you can refill the bottles in the park. I prefer metal containers over the plastic bottles, but when I'm carrying all the snacks and water, plastic bottles are a lot lighter. Also that leads to the next thing.

Be wary of the heat. If your baby is in a carrier, he'll get really hot so take him out and hold him regularly so he can cool off. Watch shows when it's the hottest parts of the day so you're out of the sun or in air conditioning. What I like about Disneyland compared to DCA is all the shade in the lines. There are exceptions like Smallworld, so I would suggest getting a FP there.

Bring a stroller. You may not be putting baby in there, but if you have other kids they will need it. Plus you can put all your bottles of water and snacks in the stroller.

Last is realize you're on vacation and to take it easy especially with a little one. The days we were with my cousin's family and racing around the park felt really hectic compared to the days where it was just us in Fantasyland. Fantasyland in the morning is great, since there are less people and all the baby friendly rides are close to each other.

Cheers!
Thanks for these great tips!

Tips for a toddler:

Cheers!

Brilliant! Thank you so much! Definitely planned on bringing my carrier and her own water cup maybe I should try and borrow a carrier that faces outwards, hmm!

This was a great report, we are leaving in 5 days for our vacay, staying at the hojo in a park view room building 1. We will have my dd 9, and our dd almost 4 with us. We plan on bringing a stroller. Thanks for the tips on rider swap, little nervous because our youngest is right at 40", so depending on Disneys measuring she may or may not get on some rides....

This was a great report, we are leaving in 5 days for our vacay, staying at the hojo in a park view room building 1. We will have my dd 9, and our dd almost 4 with us. We plan on bringing a stroller. Thanks for the tips on rider swap, little nervous because our youngest is right at 40", so depending on Disneys measuring she may or may not get on some rides....

Disney measures with shoes on, so your youngest should be okay.

Also the measuring stick is located at the entrance and on some rides near the actual loading area as well.

Have fun!

Ours would have been overstimulated by looking out. What is your kiddo like?

When it was time for our little one to have a nap, we would face him inwards and he would sleep a little. Overall we knew his sleep as well as everyone else's would be off, and to just go with the flow.

We did come home Thursday night, actually we got into our house at 2:00 AM Friday morning, so we would have 3 days to try to get back to our schedule. I decided that for those 3 days we were still on vacation so we still ate out for all of our meals so we wouldn't have to worry about preparing and cleaning up.

When it was time for our little one to have a nap, we would face him inwards and he would sleep a little. Overall we knew his sleep as well as everyone else's would be off, and to just go with the flow.

We did come home Thursday night, actually we got into our house at 2:00 AM Friday morning, so we would have 3 days to try to get back to our schedule. I decided that for those 3 days we were still on vacation so we still ate out for all of our meals so we wouldn't have to worry about preparing and cleaning up.
Great idea to give time to get into your routine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter