DIsneylandForward project passes major hurdle

The city needs to make Disney agree to a completion date.
Otherwise Disney is going to just sit on this.
I am willing to bet $1 that the first things to happen are a new hotel and the Eastern parking garage and transportation center...they have been chomping at the bit for years on both but have been battling previous more hostile City Council makeups...if this passes the next vote they have the green light.

Actual park expansion I suspect would be given lower priority and a slower drip of openings.

Disney has been masters at getting what they want and manipulating the process to their advantage.

Please be a peoplemover and not anything hanging in the sky!
Sorry to say but nothing would make us happier than having a few Skyliner routes in the area. I'm already dreaming of the possibilities. I could see them connecting VDH/DH to the heart of the Esplanade via Skyliner and then we would own both DVC Skyliner resorts..... one can dream.

For my own personal selfish reasons I truly hope they don't make a skyliner at all.

Honestly, I don't understand why they wouldn't just extend the monorail. It's so silly it only has 1 stop, that thing should be stopping in every corner of DLR.

Isn't there something about mixed use (part of that being shopping) for the toy story parking lot location?
There is a mixed use designation but the incentives from the city are only for park/attraction expansion. Hotels and shopping can be part of the plan but Disney will be required to do theme park expansion or lose their incentives like tax breaks (and possibly be fined, I haven’t read up on this recently but fines are often part of the process). In other words, Disney can build hotels and retail but they can’t do it at the expense of park expansion. They will have to show the city they are meeting certain milestones when it comes to park expansion.

For my own personal selfish reasons I truly hope they don't make a skyliner at all.

Honestly, I don't understand why they wouldn't just extend the monorail. It's so silly it only has 1 stop, that thing should be stopping in every corner of DLR.
The problem with the monorail (in its current form) is that it's essentially a Disneyland ride. When you enter the DTD monorail station, you're entering Disneyland. That's why they didn't build a DCA station when it opened.

If the monorail goes elsewhere, they won't be able to check tickets at the DTD station. They would have to check Disneyland guests at the Tomorrowland station. That's a massive logistics and security headache by itself. There isn't a lot of room around the Tomorrowland station to hold people while they process tickets. (Possibly at the exit next to Nemo, but it'd still be pretty dicey.) Bigger problem: if, for example, a group of people doesn't have tickets and can't actually enter the park - they're technically inside the park already. Now, you've got to push them around to the monorail entrance somehow and back onto the monorail to get them out of the park. Even then, you're putting them in a line with guests who do have tickets and are already in the park. It becomes a maze.

Broadly speaking, it's better to check tickets before they get on - not only for security reasons, but it also staggers the guests over the time between monorail arrivals. Doing it in Tomorrowland would mean potentially checking an entire load of monorail riders at the same time.

To make it work, they'd almost certainly have to lose the Tomorrowland station. You could still ride through the park, but the most-likely fix would be building a new Esplanade station outside the park, possibly on Harbor behind Tomorrowland (after you leave Disneyland) over the local bus stops. That would serve both DL and DCA. Then, if they decide to do something at the Toy Story Lot, they could then run the track down Harbor. However, the new TSL station would have to be behind security (since the other two stations already would be). (There are also some right-of-way issues as far as building a TSL route.)

The other trouble there - if the monorail goes more places, you'd have more people trying to use it - a lot more. The current monorail tech (and capacity) is designed for the small subset of guests coming from the west side of the resort going into DL. It's also very manual - not a lot of automation. If everyone can use it - it would need to be able to handle everyone going around the resort. It would basically have to be more like an airport train - potentially full automation, running on a regular schedule.

(There's a quieter question, too, about whether the track inside DL meets modern transportation standards - can they upgrade it without having to rip some of the tighter sections out, or removing the DL stretch altogether.)

It's not impossible, but there's a point that it wouldn't be "the monorail" anymore. It might not be bad - but it'd be pretty significantly different. (And it'd be expensive.)

The problem with the monorail (in its current form) is that it's essentially a Disneyland ride. When you enter the DTD monorail station, you're entering Disneyland. That's why they didn't build a DCA station when it opened.

If the monorail goes elsewhere, they won't be able to check tickets at the DTD station. They would have to check Disneyland guests at the Tomorrowland station. That's a massive logistics and security headache by itself. There isn't a lot of room around the Tomorrowland station to hold people while they process tickets. (Possibly at the exit next to Nemo, but it'd still be pretty dicey.) Bigger problem: if, for example, a group of people doesn't have tickets and can't actually enter the park - they're technically inside the park already. Now, you've got to push them around to the monorail entrance somehow and back onto the monorail to get them out of the park. Even then, you're putting them in a line with guests who do have tickets and are already in the park. It becomes a maze.

Broadly speaking, it's better to check tickets before they get on - not only for security reasons, but it also staggers the guests over the time between monorail arrivals. Doing it in Tomorrowland would mean potentially checking an entire load of monorail riders at the same time.

To make it work, they'd almost certainly have to lose the Tomorrowland station. You could still ride through the park, but the most-likely fix would be building a new Esplanade station outside the park, possibly on Harbor behind Tomorrowland (after you leave Disneyland) over the local bus stops. That would serve both DL and DCA. Then, if they decide to do something at the Toy Story Lot, they could then run the track down Harbor. However, the new TSL station would have to be behind security (since the other two stations already would be). (There are also some right-of-way issues as far as building a TSL route.)

The other trouble there - if the monorail goes more places, you'd have more people trying to use it - a lot more. The current monorail tech (and capacity) is designed for the small subset of guests coming from the west side of the resort going into DL. It's also very manual - not a lot of automation. If everyone can use it - it would need to be able to handle everyone going around the resort. It would basically have to be more like an airport train - potentially full automation, running on a regular schedule.

(There's a quieter question, too, about whether the track inside DL meets modern transportation standards - can they upgrade it without having to rip some of the tighter sections out, or removing the DL stretch altogether.)

It's not impossible, but there's a point that it wouldn't be "the monorail" anymore. It might not be bad - but it'd be pretty significantly different. (And it'd be expensive.)
I wasn't aware of all that technical hurdles, super interesting for sure.

To be fair tho, if they do want to increase the size of the resort then they should make it actual transportation. Hurdles be damned. There are ways to do this, from super techy solutions so simply having the entrance to the parks outside the gates but inside the bubble. If they can make something as complicated as RotR then they can figure it out xD.

Universal has the Hogwarts express thing with park hoppers, they can come up with something similar. A transport/ride that you can only access with park hoppers.

There is a mixed use designation but the incentives from the city are only for park/attraction expansion. Hotels and shopping can be part of the plan but Disney will be required to do theme park expansion or lose their incentives like tax breaks (and possibly be fined, I haven’t read up on this recently but fines are often part of the process). In other words, Disney can build hotels and retail but they can’t do it at the expense of park expansion. They will have to show the city they are meeting certain milestones when it comes to park expansion.
Yea, i thought i read that there was a $5million fine if not done within 10 years.?

I wasn't aware of all that technical hurdles, super interesting for sure.

To be fair tho, if they do want to increase the size of the resort then they should make it actual transportation. Hurdles be damned. There are ways to do this, from super techy solutions so simply having the entrance to the parks outside the gates but inside the bubble. If they can make something as complicated as RotR then they can figure it out xD.

Universal has the Hogwarts express thing with park hoppers, they can come up with something similar. A transport/ride that you can only access with park hoppers.
I think they should just use the other side of that DTD platform for a transportation line, that way they don't need to change the current monorail line at all. Just add it to the other side of the platform (a well divided platform) that would go from DTD to the new parking structure across Harbor, & then another stop somewhere south of Gardenwalk/3rd gate (possible on top of the road, that could be built into a tunnel for traffic to go under, keeping guests off the street when crossing from Gardenwalk to the 3rd gate) & then back to DTD.

If they take the monorail out of Disneyland park then they have license to scrape tomorrowland clean and start over. The can extend the monorail to other locations and hotels that don’t require and entrance ticket.

Agree that the first major changes will be East Parking garage and relocation of the bus terminals on the east end. That will free up large amounts of space and allow ultimate reenvisioning of the entire strip Space mountain to Backlot on the east from harbor through esplanade, the tram slips through DTD and into DLH.

I can easily envision a sky system with connection points: Mickey Garage Top - DLH/PP entrance - - Main Esplanade - East Parking Lot top -- that would replace the trams completely and recover large spaces and allows the absorbing all that into actual DL space which in square footage is really the size of another land itself vs a hotel island resort for PP/DLH/GC that's supersized event bubble for them near-term.

The first thing they’ll do is the new East side parking garage. They need to replace all that surface parking they’d lose with the west side parking going away. I’m also in the same camp as YouTuber hey Brickey, in that they should get rid of the bus area and ticket booths and bring those areas into the Hollywood backlot and make that the avatar land

I'm reading all of this with interest. The most compelling point that occurred to me is that I'll likely be dead before it happens, which is an odd thought.

I'm reading all of this with interest. The most compelling point that occurred to me is that I'll likely be dead before it happens, which is an odd thought.

How long are people saying all of this would take? I guess I haven't seen any kind of timeline.

The first thing they’ll do is the new East side parking garage. They need to replace all that surface parking they’d lose with the west side parking going away. I’m also in the same camp as YouTuber hey Brickey, in that they should get rid of the bus area and ticket booths and bring those areas into the Hollywood backlot and make that the avatar land
I like Brickey's idea as well to make more theme park space, but not sure Pandora is what I would put there. I don't think it'll vibe well between Hollywood & Marvel, & hopefully they don't remove Hollywoodland!!

We all could be. ;)
But we should get to see a ton of it, just not to completion.

How long are people saying all of this would take? I guess I haven't seen any kind of timeline.
I believe it is a 30 year plan (lots of stuff would obviously happen much sooner).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter