Disney's Calif…- NO - Desperate California Adventure

The grapevine is also buzzing about who’s going to take the fall for DCA. The politics are getting interesting and it’s now even money that The Shopping Mall King may get his chance to start his own production company as well.

AV, What are you trying to do? Make up for the Quotable Walt? This is the best buzz relate dnews I've heard yet. The ogre's evil assistant might be rif'd (Reduction in Force for those who have remained blissfully ignorant of the economic conditions of this year)

All Hail the good buzz!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AV, wow I feel like an idiot. Despite being pretty conservative economically, I like James Carville a lot. I failed to immediately make that connection to his quote.

As to the DCA v. WDW economic woes, you are likely right. But, I thought that the addition of DCA, the Grand Californian, Downtown, et al was supposed to turn Disney West into a tourest destination and swing it from a "locals-only" hang out. Perhaps there's the fault. Could this be where the thinking broke down?

Putting philosophical issues aside for a minute and focusing on management savvy, it is obvious they misread their customer base. Never a good sign.

This was supposed to be an example of them building a park on the.....a very modest budget. Which they obviously did. So, isn't there also a viable business plan that says they can charge lower prices and still get a reasonable return on their investment?

This wouldn't have allowed them to project a big profit boost to the analysts, and there was the cannibilization of DL to worry about. But I wonder what the public's reaction to the park would have been it they had opened with this type of pricing for everyone. A reduced rate for adults ($33?) and a modest ($10?) charge for kids, admitting upfront there was less for them to do.

Expectation always plays such a huge part in our perceptions. I think their overselling and overpricing is a good part of the public's reaction. Customers hate feeling they were duped.

I bet the financial model could have tolerated a scenario where prices were a little more value based early on, than quickly raised to higher levels a couple years down the road. But this would require some patience, something that doesn't have much impact on this year's stock options.

Just as a by the by Knotts just reduced their rates for the summer - maybe it isn't just DCA.

Sarangel

"They're basically allowing a wider sampling of the park, and that's a smart move at this point," O'Brien said. "They need to create a buzz, because once it catches on, it will do well. It just hasn't hit the right nerve yet."

Mr. O'Brien is a senior editor for Amusement Business, a trade magazine/newspaper that tracts the business.

It seems that someone in the industry does not think that DCA is the complete bust that other's do. Also, as a follow-up, I saw on another post (Rumors Board) that Knotts Berry has also lowered prices/free admission and the article mentions that Universal Hollywood was already doing so.

Maybe the economy actually has something to do with the poor showing of DCA after all. Since poor attendence is hitting other parks. Yes, I know DL is still doing well but that could be the exception to the current state of affairs. I still plan to visit DCA in November on my trip and will give my objective view on my return. First hand experience is the best experience.

Just back from DL and DCA. Quick review...

DL: Very crowded (of course it's June) but still great; prefer DL's Pirates to WDW's and loved to relive Toad. Alice in Wonderland is also fun. Roger Rabbit was closed but a favorite. I always thought Indiana Jones was killer, and it is, but Dinosaur provides the same rush.

DCA: IMHO it needs some work but is still worth a visit. The animation hall, Soaring, GRR, and Screamin are great. Had a great meal at the Robert Mondavi restaurant. Liked Downtown Disney a lot--lots of food options but fewer stores than in FL. Grand Californian is nice...just walked through though. All in all DCA needs a few more E ticket attractions. Also, it would be nice if Soaring were longer and the smells worked better...kept smelling oranges throughout the ride. I liked Screamin but the PP section reminds me of a regular amusement park and that's not what I want from Disney.

Thanks for reading :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter